As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Juicero Memorial [Tech Thread]

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Nice one, tube. you really got me there.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    You're just trying to get this thread back onto the Presidential Fuckstyles topic with a Taft reference now, aren't you

8406wWN.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Are there any actual good wireless headphones/earphones?

I'm so fed up of wires catching on everything.

Do you want buds or over the ear

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've been out of the computer upgrade system lately. What is considered a good PC monitor now? Not a crazy expensive one though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I've been out of the computer upgrade system lately. What is considered a good PC monitor now? Not a crazy expensive one though.

I recently got an ASUS VE248H (24") and it's really good for the $100-150 range. What's crazy expensive to you?
    I think this is my model with the built-in speakers.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I keep seeing AOC on "Best for your money" lists, although I don't have personal experience with them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

I recently got an ASUS VE248H (24") and it's really good for the $100-150 range. What's crazy expensive to you?
    I think this is my model with the built-in speakers.

I got a similar model on black friday - VS247 I think? Just under 24", 1080p 2ms, been great so far.

Admittedly it was a move up from a 10 year old 1440x900 monitor so it would have been a big change no matter what, but still.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Do current monitors do HDR? I have my PS4 connected to my pc monitor.

Like crazy expensive to me would be over $200?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I also have the monitor that Tank has. It's a solid monitor and I got mine refurbished for right at $100.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Do current monitors do HDR? I have my PS4 connected to my pc monitor.

Like crazy expensive to me would be over $200?

A bunch were at CES2017, so should start hitting the market this year. None at that price point though. I'd expect closer to $1,000. (this is a guess as no prices were announced that I know of)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I keep seeing AOC on "Best for your money" lists, although I don't have personal experience with them.

We use them almost exclusively at work. They're great, cheap, and have really great colour. Even the designers don't complain about them. We have the 22" models, though, can't speak for anything larger.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »

i'm cool with either to be honest as long as they're decent and work

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular

i'm cool with either to be honest as long as they're decent and work

jaybird x3s are fuego (I have the x2s and they're equally good in my opinion)

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Yeah Jaybirds are awesome and fit like a dream, they're pricier though

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i got a new macbook pro at work

the upgraded keyboard is really good

i hated it on the macbook when it first debuted, but they went back to the lab for this version and I think they pretty much solved it

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is it the one with the silly touch bar on the top?

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Someone at work got one of those. Not having regular-ass USB ports was a massive nuisance to get it set up.

yes that's the one. the touch bar is about as dumb as expected (it also looks bad)

i dont mind USB-C so much. it's the future anyway. it's an uncharacteristically noble thing by Apple because they could have just been chucklefucks and made them all lightning ports

now I can use nearly anyones power adapter instead of theirs

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    The touch bar just replaces the function keys right?

Pretty much.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Man there was some real garbage in that last release wasn't there?

I'm hoping that they're setting the place for some really fantastic stuff with the next iPhone because my 6+ has a screen that's popping off and I'm pretty heavily locked into iOS. There doesn't seem to be anything coming up though.

The last few offerings from Apple really feel like they're stagnating creatively, and some of the reports I've read from the development team (at least on the computer side of things) makes it sound like they're being run in a very fractured way that makes it difficult to innovate.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

I'm looking for a good pair of bluetooth headphones for work. I had a pair of Nakimich's I got on sale that worked pretty good for about a year now, but the left side stopped working, and then snapped off.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Jasconius wrote: »
    yes that's the one. the touch bar is about as dumb as expected (it also looks bad)

i dont mind USB-C so much. it's the future anyway. it's an uncharacteristically noble thing by Apple because they could have just been chucklefucks and made them all lightning ports

now I can use nearly anyones power adapter instead of theirs

just be real careful with that

usb-c's higher voltages are really good at blowing up electronics

jwEN3QEl.jpg

fiUhQOql.jpg

https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/03/benson-leung-chromebook-pixel-usb-type-c-test/

There's a good list of Benson's reviews here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/edit#gid=0

i can see some potential in the touch bar, i just dont think it needed to come at the expense of the function keys. there's a TON of room on this laptop. function keys are half a centimeter???

the touch bar also doesn't seem to have the haptic engine, which is probably my #1 favorite feature of the iphone 7, and is sorely missed.

because ok, they put some calculator keys on the touch bar. but there's basically no way to use them unless you take your eyes off the screen and onto your keyboard. i learned how NOT to do that 20 years ago. doesn't actually help, just looks good in TV ads

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    On the other hand, you can run Doom on it, so it's basically a wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0L46y3IqI

All the hubub I hear about USB C blowing up makes me glad I'm holding on to old usb for so much longer.

I wanna make sure when I get a USB c device that all the kinks are worked out.

Thanks beta testers.

I feel like they've really been dropping the ball with hardware recently. No desktop product, lackluster MacBook pro models, and not much improvement in the iPhone 7 just makes me feel like they've peaked and are struggling with what to do next.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Uriel wrote: »
    All the hubub I hear about USB C blowing up makes me glad I'm holding on to old usb for so much longer.

Thanks beta testers.

It's not an issue of kinks. It's an issue of cheap-ass manufacturers not following specs and making cables that are physically dangerous. If you just buy properly-made cables you won't have any problems.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I feel like they've really been dropping the ball with hardware recently. No desktop product, lackluster MacBook pro models, and not much improvement in the iPhone 7 just makes me feel like they've peaked and are struggling with what to do next.

they're doing some heavy research into AR stuff, but I don't think anybody knows where they're going with it yet

Brolo wrote: »

they're doing some heavy research into AR stuff, but I don't think anybody knows where they're going with it yet

But can they do AR when they don't have a decent desktop with the power to drive it? I feel like it is time to bring back the massive G5 case, rather than another cylinder computer. Maybe a little smaller.

4dm3dwuxq302.png

But can they do AR when they don't have a decent desktop with the power to drive it? I feel like it is time to bring back the massive G5 case, rather than another cylinder computer. Maybe a little smaller.

AR doesnt take that much power and macs are very fast computers even on a bad day

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Thanks beta testers.

It's not an issue of kinks. It's an issue of cheap-ass manufacturers not following specs and making cables that are physically dangerous. If you just buy properly-made cables you won't have any problems.

Yeah, once you experience the speed of USB C charging everything else becomes insufferably slow.

I really don't want to have to read reviews on cables though.

I just want to buy any cheap cable and not have to worry about it blowing up my phone or whatever.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

I just want to buy any cheap cable and not have to worry about it blowing up my phone or whatever.

One will come with the phone, and outside of that, if it's USB-C to USB-C they're fine, it's the USB-A to USB-C cables that have issues. Stick with name brands and there should be no worries, or better yet, stick with the manufacturer of the phone for cables. That way they have no excuses if something goes wrong.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

buy from amazon, pick the one with the most stars?

And yes, USB-C charging is the light.

So fast

But that's still not a "kink" that will just be "worked out". There's no flaw in the spec--the capabilities of USB-c are simply such that there is risk in using uncertified/untrustworthy content. That's not really new to USB-C either. Nearly all electronics carry a non-zero chance of catastrophic failure. A faulty battery can turn any smartphone into a small incendiary device.

And you SHOULD read reviews on the things you buy regardless. Consumer protections can only go so far and it's the responsibility of every consumer to be informed in the purchases they make. USB micro cables may not be likely to blow up your phone, but a shitty one could still short something out and ruin your devices.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Jasconius wrote: »

AR doesnt take that much power and macs are very fast computers even on a bad day

I was getting my AR and VR mixed up there.

And yes, they can be fast, but there's still some lacking in the dedicated graphical power. It would be nice to have an option that wasn't a laptop.

4dm3dwuxq302.png

The iPhone 7 wasn't even "not much improvement", it was actively worse. I'm hoping the 7s or whatever they do next is going to pay off that headphone jack decision with some tangible benefit, because right now there's nothing.

edited February 2017
    I was just saying in time the bad manufactures and processes leading to faulty cables should be largely weeded out of the market by the time I get a device with USB c! (probably years from now, I'm not going to want or need a new phone anytime soon)

And even if not I'll have a better base of information of other users to build my decisions on which manufactures to trust.

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.