As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So yesterday while subbing at the middle-school I got asked if I would like to sub again today. I'll cover a 7th grade language arts class for 1st & 7th period. The rest of the day will be spent with the entire 7th grade class at the Washington State History Museum.

And if every parental chaperone shows up then I get to simply walk around the museum for thee hours.

Come on, come on...

So I went on this yesterday and it was very enjoyable.

I ended having a group of students (ugh) but they were four girls who were very on task the whole time (yay) so I didn't have to do a lot during the field trip.

But before the day even began I had a few students ask me if I was a full-time teacher at their middle school because they see me there so often now, which was nice to hear. And then the principal pulled me aside and told me if it was up to him he'd have me at his school every day for the whole school year, so double awesome on that.

But the best moment of the day was during the field trip. The newest exhibit in the Washington State History Museum is on our state's beer, wine & coffee. So eventually my group made their way to it and they had glasses of beer & wine out around the area. So I walk up to a glass of wine and physically inspect it to, naturally, find that it is a physical prop made wholly of plastic.

I pull my head up from the prop glass of wine to see a student looking at me.

Student: Oh man Mr. C, you looked real disappointed that wine glass wasn't real.
    Me: ...Get walking.

Man, few things feel quite as good as having someone at your job tell you how much they like having you there. That's some top-class validation.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    while we were ice skating(which I am a natural at despite it being my first time) there was another school group there from a few grades younger so a bunch of the kids' mothers were at the ice rink too because I guess parents still go on field trips at that age. so being one of only two adult men skating a 10 year old girl skated up next to me and asked me whose father I was. but she was nice enough and also steady enough to keep me from falling down despite me being twice her size

• 101101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So PSA (Peugeot and Citroen) are looking at purchasing Opel/Vauxhal (owned by GM) with a deal potentially being reached before the month is out. I'm under the gm umbrella in europe so my cheeks are firmly clenched at the moment.

There's a lot of uncertainty right now

101 on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    We had a new planner join just after Christmas, we don't overlap our work at all, he's lovely but very quiet/shy. We are slowly getting to know him better.

I know he has a cat because before he started I googled him, his facebook settings are low, he posts pictures of his adorable fluffy white cat which is wearing a snapchat flower crown with sparkly effects, while said crowned cat is sat in his lap.

I am looking forward to the day my coworker knows feels comfortable enough to show us the goods, the goods being his amazing photos of his cat.

I'll let him get there on his own though.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh hey, apparently on a call with a customer yesterday they talked about machining some samples to address an issue with a part we make. My boss had said something like "I have a fixture I might be able to use to hold it so we might be able to work up five samples for you." I've confirmed this with him and our Production scheduling guy, both on the call. I was told "They're thinking of machining this, start thinking about how to do it." So I do, in an idle kind of way and the stuff I would need to order to do it right.

Our Sales guy apparently translated the call to mean "We will send you samples tomorrow (now today) and be ready for full production on Saturday (now tomorrow)" and told the customer that.

Guess who never got told anything like that until irate sales guy calls at 3 pm?

Guess who is pretty much entirely responsible for making it happen?

Fucking Sales.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Liiya wrote: »
    We had a new planner join just after Christmas, we don't overlap our work at all, he's lovely but very quiet/shy. We are slowly getting to know him better.

I know he has a cat because before he started I googled him, his facebook settings are low, he posts pictures of his adorable fluffy white cat which is wearing a snapchat flower crown with sparkly effects, while said crowned cat is sat in his lap.

I am looking forward to the day my coworker knows feels comfortable enough to show us the goods, the goods being his amazing photos of his cat.

Maybe try to ease him into it a bit. Share pictures of your plants.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Oh hey, apparently on a call with a customer yesterday they talked about machining some samples to address an issue with a part we make. My boss had said something like "I have a fixture I might be able to use to hold it so we might be able to work up five samples for you." I've confirmed this with him and our Production scheduling guy, both on the call. I was told "They're thinking of machining this, start thinking about how to do it." So I do, in an idle kind of way and the stuff I would need to order to do it right.

Our Sales guy apparently translated the call to mean "We will send you samples tomorrow (now today) and be ready for full production on Saturday (now tomorrow)" and told the customer that.

Guess who never got told anything like that until irate sales guy calls at 3 pm?

Fucking Sales.

Seems like a good learning experience for the sales guy to go back to the customer and admit he jumped the gun and apologize.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My first day off was crippled by a massive headache.

My second day off has been crippled by massive stomach cramps, too much milk yesterday.

Also, I nearly backed into someone that cut between my car and the driveway of the house I freaking sleep in!

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »

Fucking Sales.

Seems like a good learning experience for the sales guy to go back to the customer and admit he jumped the gun and apologize.

Unfortunately, what usually happens is that sales/marketing is seen as the guys who bring in revenue, while everyone else are cost centers. Thus, we dance to their jig.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

"Check out my terrarium. I love it, its like a family member, a small family member that I love, small and alive... that I care for..you uh got anything like that in your life?"

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    And if you can somehow show that it's not worth doing, the sales rep who screwed up tends to make things unpleasant for you anyway. People like this seem to think there are few greater sins than not getting their way.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    And since we're having a bit of weather here it seems that everyone's meetings are getting scrambled.

Thus, my recruiter conversation gets pushed to Wed morning.

Balls.

"Check out my terrarium. I love it, its like a family member, a small family member that I love, small and alive... that I care for..you uh got anything like that in your life?"

Exactly. A subtle touch.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    HI GUYS. WHATS UP. I am in this research class for my master's right now.

It has lots of scientific stuff in it and it is making me feel smarter as I sit here listening.

I just wanted to share this.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I may have seen the incidental genesis of a future comic strip today. We'll see if it comes to fruition.

BLM - ACAB
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You would think a very important document that is required in order to officially transfer to another institution would be of high priority to people who only need to sign once. Clearly not because it's still only step above the person I gave it to over 2 weeks ago.

Also my duties continue to be divested from me. Not because I'm leaving, but because the boss's boss really enjoys randomly assigning or removing work a position is or isn't allowed to do. But hey, I dont need to do the mail run anymore at least.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

It has lots of scientific stuff in it and it is making me feel smarter as I sit here listening.

Are you getting an MLIS? Most of my master's classes were alphabet soup like "Information Users In the Knowledge Society" and "Information Seeking Behavior" and "Management of Information and Knowledge Organizations."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Jedoc wrote: »

Are you getting an MLIS? Most of my master's classes were alphabet soup like "Information Users In the Knowledge Society" and "Information Seeking Behavior" and "Management of Information and Knowledge Organizations."

It's an Masters of Secondary Education in School Libraries.

The school version of an MLIS. This is just a required class that all ed grad students take.

I was getting an MLIS but switched to the school version as it was more directly relevant. All the classes just carried right over with almost no differences.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    We have 20 plus substitute teachers today. Most of them have never dealt with teenagers. On a friday before a three day weekend.

God/Odin/Zeus/Ahura Mazda help me.

One of these deities intervened and I had a nice quiet day which was very pleasant.

oh h*ck
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ahura Mazda always comes through in the end, I find!

All praise the light of the almighty wise lord!

Solar on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I was having a pretty great day already - pretty much the best 1 on 1 meeting I could hope for, feeling pretty good. Five minutes before leaving work I got an email from one of my vendors that they'd like to do a roundtable with me and one of my biggest fleets and my boss agreed I should travel to do it.

I should preface this by saying I live in Maine and my town has had well over 30" of snow in the past two weeks. I can't see to pull out of my driveway and have lost power multiple times. In a few weeks, right after Pax East, I'll now be going to Charleston, South Carolina, where it looks to be averaging in the 70s. I'm slightly excited.

Hah! The prospectus we are writing is not a real prospectus. It is just a dummy one so we learn how it all works. There are situations where we can literally just make up testing instruments and call them whatever we want since we are not actually performing any research!

Stress level has dropped massively!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

I would like to see your terrarium.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Fucking Sales.

Destroy him.

His body has become forfeit and is to be used as the jig.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Ladies :winky:

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited February 2017
    a4v4ztoogwye.jpg

Liiya on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That was a genuine request to see a decorative glass vessel containing soil and plants!
    if you know what I mean

Well now instead of working I'm looking at terrarium pictures on Pinterest

Thanks, Obama Liiya

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Second Friday in a row the new security guard (to our site) got to take somebody to the ground. Guy was resisting, started pouring wine all over himself and made a grab for the guards gun. Store manager said let him go, SPD was already on the way and picked him up right outside where he also tried to fight the cops. Arresting officer that swung back by later said next time just let the perp eat a bullet if he makes a grab.

:|

Weaver on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Also asked him about the guy from last Friday and what he was on; he was basically made of meth. Seattle!

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Two weeks before my contract ended with your store, a gentleman told me to go fuck myself when I posted near the exit, observing him after he made an odd loop around the store, not looking at anything, just walking and eventually going to the deli.

At the end of that work day, he and his buddy return and stand over me as I finish paperwork inside a restaurant next to customer service (closest table), yelling and cursing about their money. The Asian family at the next table were shocked.

When I went to company offices to handle aspects of my next contract, boss told me he got a call about me being too intense. Over a year at that supermarket and a call comes with one week left.

He offered to take me out of it then and there but I said duck it and finished the last week, give me my money.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Working on a Saturday

well

"working"

mostly just sitting here, but still, I am available to do work should any work I am allowed to do become available.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Second week in a row I've had to work with a guy who was done nothing but complain and mouth off about me and acts like he is the only one who does anything.

Im pretty close to telling him to shut the fuck up but I'm not interested in a argument so I'll just talk to my boss and if he keeps it up next Saturday I'm debating just walking out.

I am already out of fucks to give and I am not going to spend another whole shift being shit talked fuck that.

Edit: yay my boss came in and someone else reported him and he got disciplined

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • GotLoveGotLove It's a shame, she really liked his waggly eyebrows. Many Britons find this amusing.Registered User regular

I made terrarium last weekend. So far it hasn't died!
    512a6a0l.jpg

GotLove wrote: »

I made terrarium last weekend. So far it hasn't died!
    512a6a0l.jpg

oooh lovely!

Thanks, Obama Liiya

Liiyabama

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Thanks, Obama Liiya

Liiyabama

What the hell? It's "Her Majesty Queen ELiiyazabeth the Second", you plebs.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Because each line in the file may be a different record type. Like
    A
    B
    C
    A
    B
    B
    B
    C
    And the format of each record type is different.

@Tofystedeth if this is a common occurrence or you're still dealing with it, I can make you a tool that sorts lines of a fixed width file by column start position and dumps out format1.csv format2.csv format3.csv etc. You'd have to be able to install python on your computer to run it, though. Lemme know!

sig.gif
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Because each line in the file may be a different record type. Like
    A
    B
    C
    A
    B
    B
    B
    C
    And the format of each record type is different.

@Tofystedeth if this is a common occurrence or you're still dealing with it, I can make you a tool that sorts lines of a fixed width file by column start position and dumps out format1.csv format2.csv format3.csv etc. You'd have to be able to install python on your computer to run it, though. Lemme know!
    Nah, thanks for the offer. If it was likely to ever occur again I'd just build a thing myself. Just had to spend a while staring at stuff long enough to verify that the file extract was working fine and it was the source data that was bogus so I could wash my hands of the ticket for someone else to fix.

steam_sig.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    A passenger left a travel mug half full of red wine in my back seat tonight. I tried to get their attention but they were too busy getting into a club to notice and I had to make way for traffic. Pretty sure they just didn't want to deal with it in the club and probably won't think to claim it as lost through Lyft, so I'm hoping I just get a free travel mug out of the whole thing.

This discussion has been closed.