As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    IMHO the best Swords in Commander are Light and Shadow and Fire and Ice, in that order. Feast and Famine is good only if you can abuse the untapping, but the amount of hate you'll draw for playing it hardly seems valuable. War and Peace and Body and Mind seem night unplayable to me, short of being included in only the most Voltron-esque decks.

Sword of Feast and Famine draws immediate hate in our FLGS if the deck has red in it because it can go infinite with Hellkite Charger. Usually the culprit is Bear Umbra but Plan B is Plan B.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah the Feast and Famine Hellkite Charger combo is a common thing, as is using it with.........Reckless Assault? I have to actually look this up.

Aggravated Assault.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I've been slowly trucking out Breya. Recently got in a Hangerback and the other three artifact lands.

Then I realized something. You know what's REAL good in Breya? Reckless Fireweaver. God forbid you have it and a Panharmonicon out then just casting Breya deals TEN to everyone.

• Options
    I've been slowly trucking out Breya. Recently got in a Hangerback and the other three artifact lands.

Then I realized something. You know what's REAL good in Breya? Reckless Fireweaver. God forbid you have it and a Panharmonicon out then just casting Breya deals TEN to everyone.

Was really confused about your math for a second before I realized that you'd get extra Thopters from Breya too.

Although at that point Purphoros is still better. Fireweaver's a good backup though.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Is it? Fireweaver is cheaper and triggers off ALL my artifacts. Including Signets, Artifact Lands, etc

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    porque no los dos

• Options
    Is it? Fireweaver is cheaper and triggers off ALL my artifacts. Including Signets, Artifact Lands, etc

I meant in that specific scenario, since all five artifacts in question are also creatures.

Fireweaver is cheaper and more versatile, but Purphoros makes up for that by being significantly harder to kill, especially if you don't have enough red pips to enable his devotion.

Really it would come down to how many non-creature artifacts you'd be using.

• Options
    Purphoros not dying to every Wrath on the planet is like a factor of 100 upside compared to Fireweaver.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    the Gods in general are pretty hefty powerhouses in EDH just because of how hard they are to kill.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    the Gods in general are pretty hefty powerhouses in EDH just because of how hard they are to kill.

Ephara is legit my favorite UW creature ever printed.

On another note, Caleb Durward is playing a GWB +1/+1 counters theme deck in Modern with Hardened Scales, snek, Ravager, Hangarback, Walking Barista and Scoozes. It is...good? I never would have thought it would be good.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I watched an MTGgoldfish video where dudes played Mardu Vehicles against Caw Blade the other day. Mardu seems like a fucking crazy deck against control you guys

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    looks like all the MTGO leagues crashed/booted everyone out at once. I was on pack 3 of a draft, opened Chandra to go with my red deck, now it looks like it's up in smoke. They're usually good about reimbursements for stuff like this, though because I was in the draft, there's no record of the event # in my game history.

plus for the past few months when I've tried to login to the reimbursement/bug report form, it gives me a runtime error, I have to call their support line, and they end up reimbursing manually.

*heavy nose-sigh*

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    looks like all the MTGO leagues crashed/booted everyone out at once. I was on pack 3 of a draft, opened Chandra to go with my red deck, now it looks like it's up in smoke. They're usually good about reimbursements for stuff like this, though because I was in the draft, there's no record of the event # in my game history.

plus for the past few months when I've tried to login to the reimbursement/bug report form, it gives me a runtime error, I have to call their support line, and they end up reimbursing manually.

*heavy nose-sigh*

MTGO is a quality product.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Mtg is a hellova drug

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    so I'm coming to the realization that the constant stimulation my generation has grown up with means I don't get bored when I experience too much of something, I get bored when I don't experience enough of it

I end up more excited to play hearthstone because of its constant availability than magic with its only-really-playable-these-two-days-a-week, even though actually playing the card game itself is more fun with magic at the current juncture of metagames

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So um i have a really silly deck idea I wanna make. Thing is I haven't decided on a format yet; Legacy or Modern. I've never played Legacy before. And this a total Johnny deck.

The core idea of the deck is:

Put down Enchanted Evening ASAP or cheat it out (not sure how to do that yet). Then play cards like Echoing Calm, Scour, and Primeval Light to blow up all their stuff. I'll likely actually win by killing them with, say, a Yavimaya Enchantress wearing an Ethereal Armor and/or an Ancestral Mask. Creatures like Azorius First-Wing and Trygon Predator would be pretty good too.

So... how do I cheat out Enchanted Evening early? Also, what other cards might I wanna play? Some creatures have "destroy target enchantment" ETB effects and might work.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    Sounds like you want to play this deck, but with Enchanted Evening and Primeval Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3vZnFu6WUU

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    @Pinfeldorf yeah pretty much. Thanks though, that video gives me a base to work off of.

• Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    Curly; serra's sanctum and/or Nykthos are the easiests way to abuse mana/generate fast mana

Couple in cards like utopia sprawl, and you're dropping CMC 5-6 on turns 3-4. If you like doing weird enchantment things; Leylines might be a fun deck for you to explore too - but echoing calm and Scour are hilarious with enchanted evening.

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    Scour and Enchanted Evening is just evil, although you are only killing one thing on the board. Also fun is Enchanted Evening + Opalescence + Glorious Anthem (or similar); kill all their lands and any that they try to play.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Letlines is a hilarious deck. It's not "good" but it is great

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    spells continues to terrorize local store

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    Letlines is a hilarious deck. It's not "good" but it is great

Leylines is fantastic. It maindecks several forms of disruption that completely stall or shut down certain deck types, and then beats you with them to rub it in more.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    After... years? Yeah, years I guess. I've finally assembled an Abzan Coco deck (The Anafenza-Melira-Finks kind) and took it to FNM. It payed off, because I went undefeated.
    Round 1: Eldrazi Tron. Turn 1 he plays Urza's Tower and I scream internally. Tron is supposed to be my worst matchup. But game 1 I manage to combo off early. He kept playing through infinite life so I don't know if his deck can win through that? I finished him off a turn later. Game 2 he resolves an Ugin and it's all over for me. Game 3 he played cautiously and I threw it all to the wind. I don't know how he knew I had an Aven Mindcensor waiting for his Expedition Map but I did. He stops my combo dead cold and we got stuck in a stalemate for awhile. I got one Gavony Township activation before it got GQ'd and that was enough to send my birds flying over his blockers. But then he got Batterskull and kept gaining 4 life while I hit him for 5. Somehow it all came to a head and I pulled out a win.

Round 2: GWB Delirium. I kept a hand with the whole combo but he disassembled it with discard pretty quickly. I eventually assemble it again but he had a pesky Scavenging Ooze. I managed to get that out of the way and combo'd off. Game 2 he had a Grim Flayer on the board for the whole time but had bad draws. I blew out his Lingering Souls with Orzhov Pontiff and took over the game from there. 2-0

Round 3: Black Red Burn. I mulligan to six and still get off to a bad start. Even with Scavenging Ooze eating Hellspark Elementals from the graveyard she takes me down to 1 life, but I manage to pull out the win. Game 2 I get another bad mulligan and her Goblin Guides came out in full force. My mana base was already terrible when she dropped a Blood Moon. I could have floated the mana for Abrupt Decay but I was so far behind that I elected to play Collected Company instead to have any kind of board presence. So of course I hit nothing. Game 3 I finally get a decent opening hand. I have a reasonable board presence and an immortal Kitchen Finks, so I could have won through damage, but I decided to use the combo just to be safe. She was a new player, so I felt pretty bad explaining that my life total was 10,000. But then I remembered she was playing Dark Confidants and Blood Moons and felt less bad. 2-1

Round 4: Temur Summoning Trap. This was apparently a homebrew he made. It was pretty neat, he played Lotus Cobras and Explores to ramp, while having a hand full of counterspells, leading up to casting Summoning Trap. He drops an Emrakul and passes turn. Against such power, what could I possibly do!? ...Well, I could cast the Fiend Hunter I had in my hand. The boardstate got tied up after he Torrential Gearhulk'd his Summoning Trap into a Terrastodon, turning three of his lands into Elephants. I tried to Chord into Melira to make my Kitchen Finks immortal, but he counters my Chord. So I draw the Melira I was about to tutor. He only attacks once into my Finks so the board stayed locked up until I could combo off.

Game 2 he counters most my stuff till he runs out of gas, and my Thoughtseize forces him to use his Torrential Gearhulk with no target. I have a Gavony Township, but my creatures are nowhere near the power of his Hulk. This looks like a job for... FIEND HUNTER! He wins me the game yet again.

TL;DR, I Fiend Hunter'd an Emrakul to go 4-0. There's another Modern tournament tomorrow I plan on going to, so I'll get even more experience with the deck.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    He kept playing through infinite life so I don't know if his deck can win through that?

If he was running Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger he could potentially mill you out in a couple swings with it.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Is there a particular reason to run Fiend Hunter over, say, Fairgrounds Warden (which avoids the double white casting cost)? I assume it's not being able to exile friendly critters; maybe some weird thing having to do with their slightly different wording?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    It's the slightly different wording. Due to a loophole, Fiend Hunter can exile a creature permanently.

Basically Fiend Hunter has two different abilities. With the exile trigger on the stack, you can sacrifice or flicker the hunter to trigger the "Return that creature to the battlefield" before it's even left, so it goes away permanently. They figured out how to close this loophole with Banishing Light, but I can stick with the original.

• Options
    It's the slightly different wording. Due to a loophole, Fiend Hunter can exile a creature permanently.

Basically Fiend Hunter has two different abilities. With the exile trigger on the stack, you can sacrifice or flicker the hunter to trigger the "Return that creature to the battlefield" before it's even left, so it goes away permanently. They figured out how to close this loophole with Banishing Light, but I can stick with the original.

Ah, alright, that makes sense. What Sac outlets do you have to take advantage of that?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Is there a particular reason to run Fiend Hunter over, say, Fairgrounds Warden (which avoids the double white casting cost)? I assume it's not being able to exile friendly critters; maybe some weird thing having to do with their slightly different wording?

The old wording on Fiend Hunter lets you pull some shenanigans; because it has two separate triggers, if you have the ability to remove it at instant speed (either killing or bouncing it), you can respond to the "exile" trigger by removing the Hunter, which causes the "return" trigger to go onto the stack above it. So when stuff resolves, the "return" trigger resolves first and does nothing because the Hunter hasn't exiled anything yet. Then the Hunter goes away, then the "exile" trigger resolves, exiling whatever you targeted with it permanently.

Even if you're not pulling shenanigans, there can be a slight advantage - with Fairgrounds Warden, say you target your opponent's Hangarback Walker with the Warden trigger. Your opponent can Bolt the Warden in response to the trigger, and because it's based on a duration, when the Warden trigger resolves the Walker will never be exiled at all because the Warden has already left the battlefield. In comparison, if you target the Hangarback with a Fiend Hunter, your opponent can't just kill the Hunter in response to the trigger because the above shenanigans will happen (exiling the Walker permanently), and if they wait until the Walker has been exiled and then kill the Hunter, the Walker would still come back to play with 0 counters on it, dying and not giving you any Thopters.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Ah, alright, that makes sense. What Sac outlets do you have to take advantage of that?

Just Viscera Seer, who's essential for my main combo as well. Fiend Hunter is my only mainboard creature removal.

Edit: forgot Murderous Redcap

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    I think I have a pauper deck based solely on exploiting that bug. Fiend Hunter, Faceless Horror, Mesmeric Fiend, etc. with a bunch of Cloudshift type cards.

It's very stupid, and I could never play it in paper because I'd feel bad explaining it to newer players.

• Options
    so the mtg twitch is showcasing latern control vs. abzan company w/ the finks combo

@APODionysus @Dr. Flamingo y'all happen to be playing in vancouver rn?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not. But I hope Coco's winning!

• Options
    I'm not. But I hope Coco's winning!

I do think CoCo won! But there was a game where Latern saw like most of their deck and couldn't find a bridge to save its life, the commentators said hitting it at literally any point would have instantly won the game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    http://imgur.com/a/bE6dB

hey who wants some amonkhet promo material leaks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    That's some purdy stuff right there
    That's the best gideon art in a hot minute.

The Betgirl on
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    So we know there will be a Gideon and Liliana in two forms and probably some dragons.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Likely gods, too, and if not devotion then something like it to turn those on

• Options
    Also
    Please god let that be a 5 mana dragon w haste

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
This discussion has been closed.