As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I don't think there has ever been an instance where I thought to myself, "this is great, but it could use a few more advertisements".

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Therein lies the problem of the argument because like I said, there are going to be cases in which people are interested (which you've handily ignored, again) and belittling this feature is unconstructive.

I get the impression that Dover wasn't making an argument so much as speaking for himself? Sort of like nearly everyone else who posted on the subject:
    urahonky wrote: »
    as long as we don't get ads thrown in our faces then I'll be happy.
    Speaking for me personally, I don't want ads on things I've paid for.

It's ok to dislike things. Like I'm sure you know you're not speaking for everyone when you say a dislike for ads is a bad thing, you're just giving your own opinion on the subject.

And belittling ads is absolutely constructive if you are a person who doesn't want to see them. Belittling them is exactly the sort of thing you need to do.

Well, no, one shouldn't, I don't think, talk shit about the class of things "I don't like/find useful but other people do". Otherwise the world would be in for an EARFUL from me on Game of Thrones, anime in 99% of its forms, e-sports, every major social networking platform, and onions.

Like, I get active use from the little tile that says "hey buddy, Games with Gold! Remember?" I know other people are into Crunchyroll or whatever, Twitch, MLG, etc, so I don't begrudge them their little tile that says "Hey! New thingie!" Not my bag, but that's cool. And maybe I'll change/they'll change their mind someday and try the thing, and what do you know, I/they dig it now.

Basically, I just think the world could use a lot less shit-talking, especially about "the fun things".

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I started this conversation because someone made a post that attempted to elevate the Switch by making stereotyping remarks about a competing console. It's not the first time this happened in the thread and just like last time I thought we would be above that

Was this the post that upset you?
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    That UI is amazing, not just because it's quick and clean, but because there's not a single ad to be found on it. No Microsoft, I don't need Mountain Dew, AT&T, or the next UFC pay-per-view.

Is the stereotyping incorrect? Why don't we just correct it? "No Microsoft, I'm not interested in FIFA, Xbox Gold, or the #Windows10Devices conference." Isn't that all that needs to be said?

Therein lies the problem of the argument because like I said, there are going to be cases in which people are interested (which you've handily ignored, again) and belittling this feature is unconstructive.

there's the disconnect. advertisements are not a "feature", they're a nuisance

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I don't like to get involved with these arguments but I can't help it this time - ads are not inherently evil. Shitty, out of place, obstructing, or annoying ads can be. Discovery is a very real issue with digital storefronts once they get big (see PSN - that store has become a fucking morass of shitty "gems" and avatars). If they drop the occasional message in informing of new launches I may not have known about based on my habits and history, I'm all for it. I like the way the 3DS does it - it's just a SpotPass message, nothing taking over a screen or anything. Hopefully they keep it tasteful like that.

Advertisements ARE a feature if they're done correctly. People are just so against them because it's so rare to see it done right.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    dporowski wrote: »
    Well, no, one shouldn't, I don't think, talk shit about the class of things "I don't like/find useful but other people do".
    I'm not sure how else you're supposed to make any progress toward your goal of not having to deal with that thing anymore otherwise.

I mean there's a difference between a TV show which you can simply avoid and irremovable ads that are on your console that you use for entertainment. Your options are either to let your voice be heard or don't use that console, which is kind of a ridiculous ultimatum just to satisfy the people who don't want to hear you complain.

Talking shit is how you get things done. It's what singlehandedly stopped the Xbox One from being an online only console.
    Basically, I just think the world could use a lot less shit-talking, especially about "the fun things".
    I don't want to live in a world where ads are "the fun things."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    I don't think there has ever been an instance where I thought to myself, "this is great, but it could use a few more advertisements".
    get_your_first_look_at_the_ford_fusion_nascar_will_use_in_.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    FFXV could have used more advertisements, if they were all as good as the Cup Noodle quest

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

hello, let me introduce you to.... small business man

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Tiger and Bunny.

But advertisements are half the point of that superheo show. It solves the issue of how do (non-vigilante) superhero's fund their heroics by having sponsors, selling ad space on their costumes, and being filmed in their heroics by live tv. And characters bitching about their sponsors wanting them to keep repeating certain catch-phrases they characters find dumb/stupid or are really tired of.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I get the impression that Dover wasn't making an argument so much as speaking for himself? Sort of like nearly everyone else who posted on the subject:

It's ok to dislike things. Like I'm sure you know you're not speaking for everyone when you say a dislike for ads is a bad thing, you're just giving your own opinion on the subject.

And belittling ads is absolutely constructive if you are a person who doesn't want to see them. Belittling them is exactly the sort of thing you need to do.

I'm done talking about ads and UI.

I will discuss BotW in less than 2 weeks though! I'm going to celebrate by finishing LoZ on my new Classic NES!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I will discuss BotW in less than 2 weeks though! I'm going to celebrate by finishing LoZ on my new Classic NES!

Ohhhh this is a good idea!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      edited February 2017

I'm trying to beat OoT 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, and ALBW at the same damn time. I've been doing this for months now. I'm hoping to have all 3 finished by the 3rd. It's a struggle.

Edit: I'm at the Shadow Temple in OoT and the Forrest Temple in MM, in ALBW I've just now reached the dark world, I'm not sure if I can do it.

Handsome Costanza on
      Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

Name yourself Zelda and you can get the DLC for free

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      And naturally I'm going to do a normal run followed by a 3-heart, no sword run. I wish I could stream it, but that requires not only a capture card, but moving computers/cameras around...and that ain't happening.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      TayaTaya Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      My strategy is to avoid Zelda games since I'm going to be completely submerged in Zelda in two weeks.

I still haven't beaten Link Between Worlds or the remakes of Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess but I don't want to play them when there's a big new Zelda soon.

Taya on
    • Options
      I'm trying to beat OoT 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, and ALBW at the same damn time. I've been doing this for months now. I'm hoping to have all 3 finished by the 3rd. It's a struggle.

Edit: I'm at the Shadow Temple in OoT and the Forrest Temple in MM, in ALBW I've just now reached the dark world, I'm not sure if I can do it.

Man, what is it with us and playing Zelda right before Zelda.

I'm playing Twilight Princess HD finally, I had put a little time into it a year ago but got bored of that first section of the game again that I've played a bunch of times (and only past once on my first playthrough). I'm up to the Temple of Time now. Part of the reason I'm doing it is a stupid reason though, I want to unlock 20 hearts on my Wolf Link amiibo to make him more useful in BotW.

And a friend of mine is playing Wind Waker HD, I think the first time he has seriously played Wind Waker ever, and loves it and says it's the best Zelda game he ever played. I told him that sucks, pre-ruining Breath of the Wild for himself. :P

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      Haha.

I am sitting here playing Wind Waker HD right now.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Lol I'm currently playing Majoras Mask for the first time. :P

Brainiac 8 on
      3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      jothkijothki Registered User regular
      I don't like to get involved with these arguments but I can't help it this time - ads are not inherently evil. Shitty, out of place, obstructing, or annoying ads can be. Discovery is a very real issue with digital storefronts once they get big (see PSN - that store has become a fucking morass of shitty "gems" and avatars). If they drop the occasional message in informing of new launches I may not have known about based on my habits and history, I'm all for it. I like the way the 3DS does it - it's just a SpotPass message, nothing taking over a screen or anything. Hopefully they keep it tasteful like that.

Advertisements ARE a feature if they're done correctly. People are just so against them because it's so rare to see it done right.

Steam even has a feature to let you deliberately choose to have a long series of ads thrown in your face.

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      I hope the 15 minutes of internet fame was worth it.
      Earlier this week, individuals claimed to prematurely purchase a small number of Nintendo Switch systems from an unspecified retailer. Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold. The individuals involved have been identified, terminated from their place of employment and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges.

Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17/nintendo-switch-operating-system-menu-details-leak

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
      I think there's a disconnect here.

Advertising on a Store portals new releases, sales, and games that mach up with previously purchased by the person are fine. You're in that store to buy/browse anyways. And seeing what's new to buy on a console's store on a dashboard is a step out of that that's not overly obstructive. I've not had any problems with the Nintendo or Sony eShop/PSN on-console ads in the past.

Pulling an XBox and putting giant food, soda, sports, clothing, and other completely non-game related adds on the home pages of a video game console are where I personally throw a fit.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
      // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    • Options
      BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
      Aaaaand we're back to square one.

Never mind!

• Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      I hope the 15 minutes of internet fame was worth it.
      Earlier this week, individuals claimed to prematurely purchase a small number of Nintendo Switch systems from an unspecified retailer. Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold. The individuals involved have been identified, terminated from their place of employment and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges.

Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/02/17/nintendo-switch-operating-system-menu-details-leak

Karma is real.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    • Options
      GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
      Guys, come on! If you get all that worked up over someone not liking your preferred UI and the ads you love, go outside, breath some fresh air.

This is the most insane launch of all time, for me. Stolen consoles, Nintendo terminating people. Uncertainty and wild rumours, legions of apparent Sony shills actively painting Nintendo and Switch in a negative light (I mean, that is almost like the Russian propagand machine)... Fake controllers that set the world on fire, Western devs praising the newest Nintendo console (others than Ubisoft, they always love Nintendo stuff and they're French so they have a good taste). Then all the patent talk, Foxconn leak, spec leaks from various news outlets that contradict each other... Lots of leakers or wannabe, with accurate info and then some very wrong... And the guys with actual, really low case leaks are getting shunned because they are just regular guys saying mundane things.

Nintendo's new motto: Divide et impera.

And for the mod lamenting Nintendo's inability to provide more consoles for launch... Various outlets already got extra consoles to put on pre-sale. Amazon, Gamestop etc. And Nintendo said that they upped the quota. There is however a limit on how much you can push consoles out.

I bet that a few weeks after launch there'll be a decent amount of Switches in stores. Nintendo seems to be on the nerve in this, so to speak. I know, I know, NES Classic problems and lol Nintendo...

• Options
      QuicalQuical Registered User regular
      Discovered some pretty horrible shit going on in my life the other day and saw that amazon had more switch stock in so... Switch pre-ordered!
      Also pre-ordered breath of thewild but they're currently out of stock so i have a pre-order for that at ANOTHER place also.
      Going all in on this guys - I've slowly got more hyped over the past month. Here's hoping it can fix the hole that currently resides in my life. No pressure or anything?

NNID: Quical
      STEAM: Quical
      Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    • Options
      LindLind Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      Is the e-shop or whatever its called going to be online day 1? I have a physical copy of Zelda on preorder but I think I want all my other games digitaly.

Lind on
    • Options
      mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
      edited February 2017
      That guy who posted that cart pic above was fired from his job for doing so.

The ui video guy lead to multiple firings and the actual poster of the video returning the switch as stolen property. Even lovelier, the poster tried to flip it on reddit for lots of cash. Scumbags.

mojojoeo on
      Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    • Options
      Lind wrote: »
      Is the e-shop or whatever its called going to be online day 1? I have a physical copy of Zelda on preorder but I think I want all my other games digitaly.

Just a heads up- always buy Nintendo stuff physical. They hold thier value better than gold.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    • Options
      DrezDrez Registered User regular
      I think there's a disconnect here.

Advertising on a Store portals new releases, sales, and games that mach up with previously purchased by the person are fine. You're in that store to buy/browse anyways. And seeing what's new to buy on a console's store on a dashboard is a step out of that that's not overly obstructive. I've not had any problems with the Nintendo or Sony eShop/PSN on-console ads in the past.

Pulling an XBox and putting giant food, soda, sports, clothing, and other completely non-game related adds on the home pages of a video game console are where I personally throw a fit.

Final Fantasy XV has a whole sidequest advertising Cup Noodles.

It's so outrageous that I'm not sure if I'm annoyed or amused. Both, I think.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    • Options
      edited February 2017
      Speaking of Xv you see square wants it on the switch, but only if big n makes let's it be cross Comparable with pc/PS4.

We might live in a world where you can triple aaa mmo on a train.

I'd triple dip for it!

mojojoeo on
    • Options
      edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
      Looks like I had the right idea staying out of this thread for a while. :P

That situation with the stolen goods is weird. Who did the guy who got it early get it from?

• Options
      edzepp wrote: »
      Looks like I had the right idea staying out of this thread for a while. :P

That situation with the stolen goods is weird. Who did the guy who got it early get it from?

The statement from Nintendo only said 'a distributed. '

• Options
      mojojoeo wrote: »
      That guy who posted that cart pic above was fired from his job for doing so.

The ui video guy lead to multiple firings and the actual poster of the video returning the switch as stolen property. Even lovelier, the poster tried to flip it on reddit for lots of cash. Scumbags.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to sell it, if he honestly didn't know it was stolen property. If I got a console shipped to me early from a store, I'd probably try to sell it - I know that's apparently not what happened here, I just mean there's nothing wrong with the idea of selling it in general.
      Lind wrote: »

It should be available day one, because there are a number of games without physical releases that are scheduled to be released launch day, so there would be no way to buy them if the eshop wasn't up.

• Options
      SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »

weird, the documentation clips are on the same side as the game.

..I guess it doesn't matter since games don't come with manuals anymore though

• Options
      Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »

Man, I so much prefer that interior art over what's on the game card itself.

...Although I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to crank out a sticker or something if I wanted to change that.

• Options
      BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
      Those contacts are huge, worried about getting them dirty or damaged.

• Options
      HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
      Just more of them to blow on, like NES days. :)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    • Options
      DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
      What format are they doing the game chips with? Just proprietary flash memory?

What is this I don't even.
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Those contacts are huge, worried about getting them dirty or damaged.

Actually, that should help - more surface area to connect with.

What's really interesting are the split pins. Like.. the long pin should provide power, to avoid shorting anything out and prep the console and cart. But I don't think I've ever seen a chip where contacts are doubled up like that, because that would mean the wrong contact is touching during the insert process!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    This discussion has been closed.