As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Digital Card Games] – Finally, a Morrowind sequel

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ideally the rotation taking out all the stupid strong shaman cards they pushed in LoE and TGE goes a long way

liEt3nH.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i did it i'm master rank 420 in eternal

Nice

Also there's an adventure expansion out for Eternal today, like the Hearthstone ones where you go through a PVE campaign and unlock full playsets of cards for PVP

http://www.eternaldecks.cards/cards
    Look at the cards from "set 1001" on that database if you want to know what they added

liEt3nH.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I picked up Eternal and have since played... a bit of it*. As a long-time on-and-off Magic player I like the mechanics a lot and appreciate how they've merged them with Hearthstone's polish and F2P model. I've had some decent draft success and the Gauntlet is a good way to reward grinding while not making it feel shitty. If I had a job I would likely dump $60 into it for a two-box bundle.

That said, I do wish there was like a half-deck mode or something so that I could play something like a real deck instead of grind nonsense or draft. The 75-card, 4x copy setup is reeeeeally harsh when your card costs are basically the same as HS's 30-card 2x, especially when you add in legendaries. I'm looking at a U/B control deck and it's a 10,000 dust investment even with zero legendaries.

As a side note, I find it really funny that Hex came in and blanket copied Magic, then basically won the lawsuit to get away with it, and then Eternal came in and just did Hex but better.

*Steam says 20 hours but that's not quite accurate.

admanb on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, I'm excited that White Wizard (the Star Realms crew) are finally doing a digital version of Epic. And I do appreciate it's the closest we're getting to a digital LCG, in that you buy access to a set, and you get a full playset/access to everything from that set.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I picked up Eternal and have since played... a bit of it*. As a long-time on-and-off Magic player I like the mechanics a lot and appreciate how they've merged them with Hearthstone's polish and F2P model. I've had some decent draft success and the Gauntlet is a good way to reward grinding while not making it feel shitty. If I had a job I would likely dump $60 into it for a two-box bundle.

That said, I do wish there was like a half-deck mode or something so that I could play something like a real deck instead of grind nonsense or draft. The 75-card, 4x copy setup is reeeeeally harsh when your card costs are basically the same as HS's 30-card 2x, especially when you add in legendaries. I'm looking at a U/B control deck and it's a 10,000 dust investment even with zero legendaries.

As a side note, I find it really funny that Hex came in and blanket copied Magic, then basically won the lawsuit to get away with it, and then Eternal came in and just did Hex but better.

What does Eternal do better than Hex? I played a bit of Hex and it seemed decent, but I haven't touched Eternal past the tutorials.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    Blue map wrote: »

What does Eternal do better than Hex? I played a bit of Hex and it seemed decent, but I haven't touched Eternal past the tutorials.

Polish, basically.

And the F2P grind... makes more sense? Hex may have improved but when I hit it there was very little for me to do other than buy a ton of packs and hope.

Hex was basically trying to supplant MTGO, down to the business model. Eternal understands that if you want to thrive as a game you need to pay more attention to the F2P style.

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Okay so I kept idly rerolling on my tablet to prep for the Shadowverse collab in GBF, and I think I should probably stick with this start

RrnzmlQ.jpg

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    @admanb — Eternal's crafting costs are a bit deceptive, as they chose a completely ridiculous scale and the "dusting" values are proportionally fucked; however, using the PvE modes up until you get Master ranked in both, + the weekly premades + the free draft entry can rapidly get you to a point where you own the cards for all of the successful "budget" decks (like Haunted Scream and Rakano Pants). I haven't played all month, so the meta may have changed a bunch with the 20 new cards, but I figure it's still something that can be beat up with burn or whatever you please.

metaghost wrote: »
    @admanb — Eternal's crafting costs are a bit deceptive, as they chose a completely ridiculous scale and the "dusting" values are proportionally fucked; however, using the PvE modes up until you get Master ranked in both, + the weekly premades + the free draft entry can rapidly get you to a point where you own the cards for all of the successful "budget" decks (like Haunted Scream and Rakano Pants). I haven't played all month, so the meta may have changed a bunch with the 20 new cards, but I figure it's still something that can be beat up with burn or whatever you please.

Ya. I've been grinding on the Gauntlet, though I've only managed to beat it twice as the final boss modes are a bitch.

Honestly, my problem is my problem, which is that I have expensive tastes. I always want to build the control decks and this game is no exception.

arguably the control decks in eternal, generally speaking, are among the mid tier of cost

the big wallet decks are green/white midrange, which are basically just play your best legendaries at each mana cost

liEt3nH.png
    Fair. I guess I'm "lucky" in that sense. My order of desire to play decks is basically combo=control>>midrange>>>aggro.

It took me two months of FTP + $20 to acquire basically every card in Eternal prior to this adventure. But I also won a lot of drafts, so that's not exactly going to be everyone's experience.

Nonetheless, if your goal is a blue-black control deck (in some approximation), the typical process is to first collect the cards for Haunted Scream and then slowly accrue the legends like Black Sky Harbinger; of course, the truest control deck in Eternal is probably what was once 4-color Icaria (which is an Armory variant) or the Bant Good Stuff decks that get to play Harsh Rule (Wrath), creatures with flash, and tons of removal. However, neither has really seen much success since the rise of Shimmerpack decks and Stonescar's dominance, and they each cost a fuckton of dust.

Man, I did not realize how lucrative Forge could be. The AI is just as exploitable as it is in Gauntlet, but doesn't get the bullshit boss rules for the seventh fight. Just gotta build a decently aggressive deck and you're hard to beat. So far I have two straight seven-win decks and each one is paying back enough gold to start another run and four packs.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Okay so I kept idly rerolling on my tablet to prep for the Shadowverse collab in GBF, and I think I should probably stick with this start

RrnzmlQ.jpg

Something about that Queen Vampire having tiny bat wings on her forehead is driving me crazy.

bat wings in non-functional places is an anime standard

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Vampires have tiny bat wings on their head, that's how you know they're vampires

tx99qisxhkqf.jpg

Maddoc on
    Man, I did not realize how lucrative Forge could be. The AI is just as exploitable as it is in Gauntlet, but doesn't get the bullshit boss rules for the seventh fight. Just gotta build a decently aggressive deck and you're hard to beat. So far I have two straight seven-win decks and each one is paying back enough gold to start another run and four packs.

Just be aware that once you make it to Masters Forge you should probably stop. At that point the enemy decks will be modified versions of current meta-defining constructed decks that get their nut draw every time, and you'll no longer get the special rank up reward.

https://news.duelyst.com/ancient-bonds-sneakpeak/

New 39 card Duelyst set coming!

liEt3nH.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Jesus

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    qz2l3621pwnv.png

Jeeeeesus

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    well, golem decks seem more playable now

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I still don't understand why people like that card

two of its keywords need it to untap to be relevant, it's just straight up worse than each of ironcliff, aymara, and vorpal reaver at doing their jobs (and they're not jobs that benefit much from having crosover), and it costs more than all of them

like this is only very marginally better than war talon thanks to forcefield but it still dies to hard removal your opponent is trying to save for whatever your late-game drop is, and if you catch them without that removal you're probably winning with whatever big seven drop you want (hell, in a golem deck dragonbone is probably better most of the time, especially if you've got vanquisher hiding in a corner somewhere)

unless you're cheating it out super early with the mechwarper golem I think you'd be better off doing other things (like getting vorpal out faster more reliably with darkfire sacrifice and maybe even the deathrattle cost reducer stuff)

like, sure, you'll probably throw it in the golem deck as more golems, but that's far from a card I'd dread to see come down compared to some of the other stuff duelyst has to offer

unless they blanket nerfed all those other class legendaries while I wasn't looking which I'm skeptical of

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Tribal is fun

liEt3nH.png
    If I wasn't on mobile I'd link it but they also spoiled a 3/4 for 3 that is essentially a changling and I am 100% there for it

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    If I wasn't on mobile I'd link it but they also spoiled a 3/4 for 3 that is essentially a changling and I am 100% there for it

liEt3nH.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Blood of air for double removal. Tasty.

What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2017
    ck1CMF7.jpg

I installed this 10 days ago. Send help.

admanb on
    police are on their way

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    to arrest you

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    ty

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Tribal is fun

the more I play card games the more it feels like every tribal deck is basically the same and that's boring

lords are lords are lords are lords

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    i mean ideally you have tribal effects other than "Your [tribe] are cheaper" or "Your [tribe] are bigger"

liEt3nH.png
    this is why I still have a drogskol captain deck yes

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I just tried Eternal again and I don't get it. It just doesn't excite me like Hex, Duelyst, Hearthstone, or even Solforge did.

Also, seems like the meta is really stagnant with blue/black control.

Edit: Not trying to hate on, since clearly some folks like it. What am I missing? I feel certain I'm missing something.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I just tried Eternal again and I don't get it. It just doesn't excite me like Hex, Duelyst, Hearthstone, or even Solforge did.

Also, seems like the meta is really stagnant with blue/black control.

Edit: Not trying to hate on, since clearly some folks like it. What am I missing? I feel certain I'm missing something.

Before getting to my own opinions I can assure you that whether or not the meta is stagnant (I don't believe it is, but it's very soon after new cards released) it's definitely not due to U/B control. Armory or Rakano (R/G) Plate, maybe.

Hearthstone: I've played a ton, I'll probably play a ton more in the future, but I'm just real bored of the mechanics.

Duelyst: The grid is cool but I ultimately just felt like I was playing Hearthstone again.

SolForge: Played a ton of it, burned out on the meta and couldn't keep up with card releases, then the new client came out and it was utter garbage.

Hex is the tough one to answer because it's the most similar to Eternal, but I've bounced off of it so hard every time I've come at it that I don't even know where it is right now. Hex never felt like it gave me big advantages over playing Magic Online. It had the same lack of a F2P model, no rewarding ranked mode, and tournaments where you had to sit down to play 3-4 games at once. In exchange it had a slightly better client and cards that do weird stuff.

Eternal merges the meta-systems of Hearthstone (generous F2P, asynchronous drafts, asynchronous ranked mode) with some of my favorite mechanics of Magic and does it all with hella polish.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

SolForge: Played a ton of it, burned out on the meta and couldn't keep up with card releases, then the new client came out and it was utter garbage.

This sums up my exact experience with Solforge.

Pinfeldorf on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

This sums up my exact experience with Solforge.
    Yeah, it had some interesting ideas, but it was extremely snowbally and it fell hard on the "you need three copies of like ten different legendaries and heroics to be even marginally competitive" side of things. I absolutely hated playing Constructed after a little while. I bounced when they changed the draft reward structure to favor silver (i.e. Hearthstone dust) over draft tickets so you couldn't have the dream of going infinite.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    SolForge felt like I was playing a beta version for pretty much its whole lifespan. Which made the speed of new card releases feel... rough.

They never nailed down their F2P model and the sharing system they implemented instead of trading (which they never should've offered at all) was pure Rich Get Richer.