As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BYOC Information Mega-Thread

DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room DeputyRegistered User regular
edited March 2017 in PAX East
BYOC Twitter Feed: @BYOC_East
Registration Status: GROUP SEATING IS CLOSED

BYOC Tickets Still Available!! GO HERE: BYOC Tickets
Come play games with us at one of the largest LAN events in the Northeast!!

BCEC Load-In
If you're travelling by car, pull into the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be Enforcers inside the building manning a security station that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the RIGHT escalator or the elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0/ Hall Southwest C1).

Note that BYOC opens at 8:30am on Friday, 90-mins earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line.

BCEC Load-In Map
bcec-1.jpg
bcec2.jpg

BYOC Information Mailer
includes errata
****PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE****

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX East to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums.

--- Getting There ---

If you're travelling by car, pull into the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be Enforcers inside the building manning a security station that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the RIGHT escalator or the elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0/ Hall Southwest C1).

Note that BYOC opens at 8:00am on Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously, that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but the idea is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

3-Day (or other) PAX Pass
BYOC Pass
Computer
Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
Keyboard
Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
Mouse pad
Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)
Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
Headphones
Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

--- Pre-PAX Prep---

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is extremely limited...you'll almost certainly get faster downloads at home.

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- PAX East Badge Registration ---

Your PAX East BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- PAX East Schedule ---

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:
Friday: 8:00am - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule will be found on our forums right here when it announced. Note this does not account for the various BYOC contests we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Ventrilo and Discord servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo or Discord before you come to the event. You can download the clients at http://www.ventrilo.com and https://discordapp.com/.

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk. If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

See ya'll at PAX!

==============================================

Group Seating Information
GROUP SEATING IS NOW OPEN!!!

Group Seating Requirements
  • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
  • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
To request group seating, email pax_pc@paxsite.com

BYOC Table Layout
Group Seating will be updated once per day, each morning.
BYOC_Seating.png
  • RED - Reserved for Admin Use
  • BLUE - Group Seating Reserved
  • GREEN - Available Seats

Registered Groups
  • Admin Area: F1-16

I will be tweaking this over the next few days.

-=Dreggor
PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
PAX East PC Room Deputy
Dreggor on

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Looking for 2 more people to form a group, PM me if interested.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    so has anyone gotten their byoc badges yet? got my passes but no byoc yet here.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    the last thread had someone asking about it. implied they would be mailed later than passes, but to expect them to be mailed unless your confirmation said otherwise or you were international.

"Delivery (Will Call)
    You MUST have a PAX East badge before purchasing BYOC. If you purchased your PAX East badge and BYOC badge prior to February 1, 2017 your badges will mail together. All badges purchased after this date must be picked up onsite."
    then again, this is what my confirmation says? im guessing i picked will call if i had an option, and the memo is the default.

mayapple on
    e6txb8m8cavf.png

• sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    so has anyone gotten their byoc badges yet? got my passes but no byoc yet here.

I ordered mine on Jan 31st (dumb luck, I noticed the Feb 1st "will mail together" cutoff AFTER I ordered), yet I did not receive mine with my show badges. So I don't know. Hopefully they still come in the mail, otherwise I'll try to make it to will call on Thursday or whenever the early day is.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I actually just got a memo from reedpop that my badges were shipping and I already got my show passes... So byoc inc?

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    mayapple wrote: »
    I actually just got a memo from reedpop that my badges were shipping and I already got my show passes... So byoc inc?

I got a shipping notification as well, with the contents labelled as "BYOC"

There was a tweet from pax official saying that the byoc badges would be shipping separately after your other badges. They also said they wouldn't be shipping to Canada but I guess there was a miscommunication.

Rooslin on
  • sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    Same here! Same situation as mayapple.

Guess they're on their way!

• TheYimTheYim Registered User regular
    According to tracking. My BYOC badges will arrive tomorrow morning.

• DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Original Post updated. BYOC Tickets still available, tell your friends, tell your family, tell your dog! Come play games with us at one of the Northeast's largest LAN's. DO IT NAO!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • cpc197ccpc197c Registered User regular
    I I have 2 BYOC spaces, if anyone is looking to create a group.

BP8CyRA.png
    cpc197c wrote: »
    I I have 2 BYOC spaces, if anyone is looking to create a group.

PMed you.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • mariomaster777mariomaster777 Registered User regular
    Just submitted a request for 36 seats. Gonna be a fun time.

• MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular

!
    da f**
    jesus, how many people you got going with you to pax man?
    got your own personal platoon there lol, can roll in to a bf match and just lay the other team out.

Last year we had 40. Only 36 this year :(

• mariomaster777mariomaster777 Registered User regular

!
    da f**
    jesus, how many people you got going with you to pax man?
    got your own personal platoon there lol, can roll in to a bf match and just lay the other team out.

It's a combination of high school friends, online gaming friends, and acquaintances. The core group started in the BYOC lan in 2010 I think, and it's grown a bit since then. Ironically, the majority of us do our own things, so the thought of a platoon in BF spearheaded by an evil Koopa bent on world domination is unlikely. (My true gamer tag is Koopa / Rasern depending on who you ask).

I tried to sucker my GW2 guild into it as well, but no one bit, and now said guild has pretty much disbanded. My dreams of taking two whole tables up have been cast asunder....

Seating chart updated with everything I have so far. If you do not see your group on there please send me a PM and I will look for your email.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • RooslinRooslin Registered User regular
    Dreggor wrote: »
    Seating chart updated with everything I have so far. If you do not see your group on there please send me a PM and I will look for your email.

I don't see any change to the seating chart even after refreshing.

Prolly cached. Try a direct link to it: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn1.hammergaming.com/BYOC_Seating.png and press F5/Refresh

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2017
    Rooslin wrote: »

Try clearing your cache. Also he hasn't updated the "registered groups" spoiler, just the image itself.

zerzhul on
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Rooslin wrote: »

Try clearing your cache. Also he hasn't updated the "registered groups" spoiler, just the image itself.

Lol.. I did not even notice that was there...

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • rainismrainism Registered User regular
    First time BYOC here, gonna be bringing my gaming laptop.
    how long of a network cable should I bring?
    I'm also looking for a group to seat with. I play mostly overwatch/dota 2/csgo/Starcraft but am down to play anything. Let me know what games so I can get them installed before pax :)

rainism wrote: »
    how long of a network cable should I bring?

25'

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Getting hyped! Going to be re-bending some of my water cooling loop this week once new tubes come in from EK. Finally will have a way to drain the system without just decoupling a connection, lol.

Gotta show the best for PAX.

BP8CyRA.png
    Does anyone happen to know what the Maximum monitor size is for a single seat?
    I am thinking about upgrading my second monitor from a 24" to a 27" (plus I would use it as a TV in my bedroom), but will wait if I can't use it for PAX.

BP8CyRA.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I want to say the desk space has usually been about 30 - 32".

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    macrogeek wrote: »

I think there is maximum size of 27" for monitors. Remember your sharing that table space. But you could buy two seats and have the table all to yourself.

I think there is maximum size of 27" for monitors. Remember your sharing that table space. But you could buy two seats and have the table all to yourself.

Thanks! I actually bought 2 seats, but one is going to my Brother's compy if he decides to bring it. If he doesn't, I'm bringing my main x34 monitor. The question is mainly if I have to bring my secondary monitor instead because he wants to participate in the LAN festivities!

BP8CyRA.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe it's 27", but I would wait for @Dreggor to respond in case I'm wrong.

He is in our BYOC group so it's specifically your table space he's sharing. ;)

row1.pngrow2.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular

He is in our BYOC group so it's specifically your table space he's sharing. ;)

27" it is!

Got a 27". Made more sense, as it matches the 34" height (both physical and resolution-wise). Not the best spec wise (TN panel), but for a secondary monitor it's complete overkill.
    http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agjr/

Thanks everyone! Now I must be in a holding pattern, as I already spent too much on this computer in preparation for PAX.

BP8CyRA.png
    I have that monitor, it's awesome. I love the Gsync feature, as my card usually can't do 144Hz at full resolution, but since the display will stay synced with no tearing I don't mind running anywhere between 50-75 frames.

• thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    I don't recall if I did the Byoc mod space seat sign up, but i'd like to if not.

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Anyone have a list of popular games to install?

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Merlin_KMMerlin_KM The Gentleman Wookie Western MARegistered User regular
    So question here, If I bring an Oculus is that copacetic with the Admins? It adheres to all the requirements, but I feel like I should ask ahead of time. @Dreggor

"Coincidence? The Universe is rarely so lazy."
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    People have brought the Oculus in the past.

JfqWFk8.png
    Seating chart is updated and group seating is closed! Please contact me if you previously sent a request and I did not contact you.

See you all at PAX!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Oculus alone, there doesn't seem any reason to ban it. Oculus with touch controllers would probably be banned, as you can't take up isle space :P

BP8CyRA.png
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Excited to participate this year. Haven't done BYOC before and haven't been an attendee since 2010. Is there a games list kicking around I've missed?

There is no official list. You'll see a lot of Counter Strike, Overwatch, Rocket League, DoTA, Hearthstone, and whatever is popular at the time.