As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Doodmann Doodles and Maybe Makes Stuff?

DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
edited February 2017 in Artist's Corner
I'm going to make this OP into kind of a portfolio thing, but I wanted a thread for questions on my doodles and WIPS.

I'm a Graphic Designer so I would love to talk to people on here about the nuts and bolts of the industry. Lately I've been doing a lot of clothing industry color correction and I've started using just a curves layer over a mid-tone selection mask; it not the norm in my experience and I wonder why since it keeps more detail in tact. My day job is a lot of stuff that it technically interesting but boring to show, since ideally no one knows I did it.

Mostly would like to do more physical illustration/art, but it's definitely not my strong suite.

Here is something I recently finished (a rarity!)

M67csra.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
I like to ART
Doodmann on

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I've been putting this together recently and I'm ready to ink but I'm not sure how I should shade it. I would like to do a Mike Migonla kind of thing but that might be too extreme, especially on the cartoon characters.

DhFc2fll.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Well, one of the things about Mignola, style wise, is that he achieves visual intricacies through relatively simple forms and by using really good balance of shadows, which I think is definitely possible with the composition you have so far!

I couldn't muster the gumption to start inking that thing so started on one of the other projects I've been putting off.

It's been a while since I did anything with oil pastels but it was fun to jump back in!

67uErN5l.jpg

I like to ART
    edited March 2017
    I started inking...and immediately fucked up the hat so now I have to actually think about how to shade/light the whole thing while also keeping the main wall light so I can write on it.

I like the idea of going Magnola on it still, I might mess with it digitally for ideas first.

iJ1kb50m.jpg

*updated with some digital ink to try it out*

43etD7lm.jpg

Continued to mess with the inking, I'm starting to get into a linocut kind of look that might work.

A18h5l1m.jpg

Small progress. I wish I had more time...stupid full time job.

xsPLqjgl.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Working on it digitally first is probably a solid idea.

Id be really curious to see what you do for work. Honestly our lack of designers is self perpetuating. No one posts that kind of stuff, so no one talks about it.

edited March 2017
    Iruka wrote: »
    Working on it digitally first is probably a solid idea.

I'd be really curious to see what you do for work. Honestly our lack of designers is self perpetuating. No one posts that kind of stuff, so no one talks about it.

I work in house for a uniform manufacturer so it's a combination of not being able to show anything I work on until its like 3-4 months old so I already have moved on/hate it, and being boring to begin with because of the industry. Let me look through some of my stuff and I'll see what I can show off.

In the meantime here is some recent branding identity stuff I've done on the side.

x79pUK6l.jpg

qQMlN2Ql.jpg

LrJPyxgl.jpg

0DfJFoYl.jpg
    haz5FoCl.jpg
    vrP7hqql.jpg
    uGr37zQl.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
    Back at it, adding more detailing to his cloak, arm and the wall.

hOjG3NMl.jpg

Should I just keep all of the updates to this on one post or separate them out every once in a while?

I like to ART
  • mateosjammateosjam Mateo Registered User regular
    It's really original. I like your drawing style. :)

More updates on this thing, I haven't had time lately and now my hand cramped up super fast.

3GaViVnl.jpg

I like to ART
  • mateosjammateosjam Mateo Registered User regular
    Take your time, just the result is important. You have a great talent. :D

edited April 2017
    I made a youtube banner for BeNarwahl, since he just shared it in [chat] I figured its ok to post here. Hopefully he starts making videos!

kLDMBpp.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
    edited May 2017
    Doing some detailed work...I'm so slow at this stuff.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Doing some detailed work...I'm so slow at this stuff.
    18251439_629833440539423_35273024508788736_n.jpg

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Whoops thanks, I keep forgetting embedding isn't working.

I like to ART
    edited May 2017
    Graphic Design dump from torchlight articles, they're letting me go buck wild creatively.

uygHnNDl.jpg
    uPtav8sl.jpg
    ixff8bBl.jpg
    7LF6Hk0l.jpg
    c2FjDWVl.jpg
    sKioWmKl.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
    I like those doodmann

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    that US map is kind hard to read on, maybe fading it out, or making the text bolder?

• algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    More updates on this thing, I haven't had time lately and now my hand cramped up super fast.

3GaViVnl.jpg

I like the final product I wish my sketches would look like that

More small progress:

I like to ART
    I made a patch this morning.

B1nSA1wl.jpg

I like to ART
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    I'm digging the patch but I feel like the kerning is a little wonky, with custom typefaces their kerning tables usually aren't very good. The S-A looks super far, A and N and R and L are too tight. Also save as gif or png to avoid the jpg distortion (although I'm not sure if its the forum compressing it further)

Good call on the kerning, I hadn't got to that yet I was just putting up the concept. I need to go back an make the clouds look more like clouds than fog. Thanks for the suggestion!

I like to ART
    Not art but art adjacent, I'm very excited.

ndTkrutl.jpg
    I5RnqxFl.jpg

I like to ART
    is this one in working order?

bowen wrote: »
    is this one in working order?

Yes, its a manual so much simpler, and honestly more what I was looking for than something I would have to "maintain"

I like to ART
    Yesterday I got all caught up with The Adventure Zone and today I woke up with an idea in my head this morning and did some designing.

6m0wOoLl.jpg

And another one.

13HRBKWl.jpg

I like to ART
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    the first one has some clean bold edges at the top, so the font with the rugget outlines really breaks that flow, maybe making the font a lot bigger and changing the edges to correlate with the top ooze thing? also moving the font up so its a little bit consumed by the ooze? (unless you gotta put more information in the middle)

the second one, the font is way too small i think, since the ooze is so bold you really gotta make the font more dominant so it pops. the broken up ooze is kind of confusing, i prefer the smooth one, draws a lot of attention.

SeveredHead on
    edited July 2017
    the first one has some clean bold edges at the top, so the font with the rugget outlines really breaks that flow, maybe making the font a lot bigger and changing the edges to correlate with the top ooze thing? also moving the font up so its a little bit consumed by the ooze? (unless you gotta put more information in the middle)

the second one, the font is way too small i think, since the ooze is so bold you really gotta make the font more dominant so it pops. the broken up ooze is kind of confusing, i prefer the smooth one, draws a lot of attention.

They're the same image, just one is chopped up which is a reference to the podcast. In a similar vein the font stuff at the top is the podcast's logo. The Dickens-esque font at the bottom is representative of the journaling that is a major narrative piece from this chapter of the podcast. This was build to be an 18x24" poster so the smaller font is purposeful and would not get lost in real life.

Useage of the word "pop" is offensive. :razz:

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
    Almost done with this one, I can't tell if it's missing something simple or I just wont be satisfied with it. Maybe something's wrong with the font. I don't know.

eKLFi0Wl.jpg

I like to ART
    I think you need to check what you want to be the prime shot of the image, it feels like all the elements are about equal in size/importance. Bumping up the contrast on those little guys, or bumping up the sun a lot might help give it a little more punch. As it is the thing I see first is the black on white text Gerblins, then everything else

I think you need to check what you want to be the prime shot of the image, it feels like all the elements are about equal in size/importance. Bumping up the contrast on those little guys, or bumping up the sun a lot might help give it a little more punch. As it is the thing I see first is the black on white text Gerblins, then everything else

That makes sense, the three little guys and the guy in the center of the "sun" are supposed to all be the same size, I should probably pump up the light/explosive graphic and maybe do something with the text at the bottom. Thanks for pointing that out.

I like to ART
    Did a little tweaking, I think it's a little more balanced.

UfePLN7l.jpg

I like to ART
    I'm getting close on this one. I need to unify the color scheme, but I'm not sure how to do that and still have a rainbow bowtie.

2d6vdACl.jpg

I like to ART
    If you're working in illustrator, its pretty easy to use the edit color tool to play around with color schemes pretty fast. There's even some default palettes that are pretty nice.

Yeah after I posted it I started messing with the color palette. I think I'm going to get it down to 3 colors plus the bow tie.

I like to ART
    edited August 2017
    Here's something a lot more unified.

0jUEMFul.jpg

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
    edited September 2017
    I think I'm almost done with this one:

fImdfOhl.jpg

My wife suggested the type doesn't really fit which I kind of agree with.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
    Ok I'm calling this one done.

cKfphPx.jpg

I like to ART
    I started working on a Preacher poster for an AMC contest.

rX2qE1tl.png

I like to ART
    Incremental update, hopefully I'll get it finished tomorrow.

toFlOQCl.jpg

I like to ART