As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MY SUMMER CAR] Finnish car building game in Steam Greenlight now!

GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
So, my first time as a discussion starter, please forgive me if I did something horribly wrong. I searched the forum and only topic I might've used has apparently been abandoned (Steam Greenlight, last post was 2014).

MY SUMMER CAR is a car building simulator from a Finnish indie dev. First, I'd like to show you the Greenlight trailer for this game:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM

12911-1442277901-bcb364b07a3955daee1d26a0135963c2.jpg

Here is a quote from the Steam Page:
MY SUMMER CAR is the ultimate car owning, building, fixing, tuning, maintenance AND permadeath life survival simulator. You start the game with hundreds of loose parts and assemble both car and engine. Not only you need to maintain your car, but yourself as well. Sausages, beer and sleeping will do just fine.

If everything goes well, you have a working car which you can use for various 1990's Finnish countryside summer activities. Basically doing various stupid things under influence of alcohol. After you have gathered extra money from various random jobs, you can start to tune and upgrade the car with parts orderer via snail mail. You can turn the car into a obnoxious bass-boom disco machine.... or into a rally car to participate rally competitions... or just fix it into perfect factory condition. Of course car also needs to pass the inspection or you might get into trouble with police.

___

Warning, this game is not for fainted heart. Severe car fever is required to play this properly due to it's autistic approach on car building.

Full car assembly with over hundred parts
Detailed driving and engine simulation
Various other vehicles, cars and boat to use and drive
Dozens of kilometers worth of dirt and paved roads with AI traffic
Random paying jobs to cover food, beverage and fuel expenses
Rally events to participate in
Permanent death
90's Finnish summer!
Support for steering wheel and shifter controllers
Much, much more!

This game gathered quite a cult following last year, when this video was posted:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=r0IZ_TEzg7M

I think that at least Kotaku wrote a piece about the game.

Game has come a long way since then, and the maker originally intended to sell the game from his website (glorious, glorious thing that site...) but some locust came and stole a test build from his servers (or something) and now he is trying to get the game to Steam Greenlight.

He wants to do a game about Finnish car building in the 90's. We have this thing called ammattikoulu (or amis), where you can go after junior high school to learn a vocation. Like a plumber, welder, cook, nurse etc (ooh, it is apparently called a vocational school in English). Stereotypical amis is a guy who wears dirty sneakers, snapback cap, is slighly ignorant about, well everything and loves cars and mopeds and stuff like that. Of course there is a lot of people who engage in amis activities like cars and all that, there is just these funky stereotypes... Nowadays it is almost like that hipster thing, it is cool to look funny and smell bad.

This game is a story about them. Fixing cars, drinking beer, going to sauna (with beer).

Some important links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/mysummercargame
Steam Greenlight: steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651939391
Steam Community: steamcommunity.com/groups/mysummercar?l=finnish
Official website (really, this is it): amistech.com/msc/

Again, please lock this thread and don't punish me too severely if there's something I did wrong. I thought that this would gather some kind of interest in here, realistic car building simulators are after all quite rare.

Game is more finished than unfinished, that is the reason for Steam Greenlight and maybe even Early Access. The guy would love to make things differently, apparently he doesn't like Early Access thing so much...

Oh, and one more thing. Of you see a downloadable version of this game (1.72 I think), please do not download that. That was never supposed to be public and the file may contain viruses and stuff from those bad men who stole it...

If you have any questions, please ask and I try to answer.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So I just bought this yesterday off of Steam and have been messing around with it. It's quite good, even as Early Access. It's buggy for sure, mostly the physics, and the controls need some tweaking, but so far it hasn't crashed or anything. But for what it does do, it does well. I just finished putting my engine together and will start doing the frame tomorrow. I know I probably forgot a bolt somewhere, even though I'm using a guide, so I can't wait for my engine to randomly explode.

The game is a little bit weird, and I like that. It's almost like it's subtly trolling you at times, but it might just be cultural differences. I'm really excited to see where he goes with it, but so far I'm having a lot of fun. It's basically what I wanted from Jalopy.

I love that it already has custom soundtrack support. I loaded it up with 100 90's songs and have my boombox cranking in my garage while I work. I turned 16 and got my first car in 1995, which I believe is when this game takes place, so it's hitting a lot of right notes with me in a way I can't quite explain. I want to frost the tips of my hair and wear some ridiculously wide-legged jeans for some reason.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    So I just bought this yesterday off of Steam and have been messing around with it. It's quite good, even as Early Access. It's buggy for sure, mostly the physics, and the controls need some tweaking, but so far it hasn't crashed or anything. But for what it does do, it does well. I just finished putting my engine together and will start doing the frame tomorrow. I know I probably forgot a bolt somewhere, even though I'm using a guide, so I can't wait for my engine to randomly explode.

The game is a little bit weird, and I like that. It's almost like it's subtly trolling you at times, but it might just be cultural differences. I'm really excited to see where he goes with it, but so far I'm having a lot of fun. It's basically what I wanted from Jalopy.

I love that it already has custom soundtrack support. I loaded it up with 100 90's songs and have my boombox cranking in my garage while I work. I turned 16 and got my first car in 1995, which I believe is when this game takes place, so it's hitting a lot of right notes with me in a way I can't quite explain. I want to frost the tips of my hair and wear some ridiculously wide-legged jeans for some reason.

I never bought Jalopy or this, but I love the idea of both and have kind of been on the fence about getting one of them for a while now. Out of curiosity, what does this do well that Jalopy missed the mark on for you?

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I never bought Jalopy or this, but I love the idea of both and have kind of been on the fence about getting one of them for a while now. Out of curiosity, what does this do well that Jalopy missed the mark on for you?

Jalopy is, at least so far, about taking a less than spectacular car through Eastern Europe and repairing it along the way to finish the trip. It kind of deals with the experience of that. My Summer Car is about drinking beer, building a car and tuning it (seriously, you do your own alignments, carburetor mix, and gear ratios with your tools), racing, flipping dudes off, customizing your car, doing odd jobs for money, swearing in Finnish, and avoiding death.

So many things can kill you, like answering the phone while it's raining or just crashing a vehicle. It's also part Finnish life sim, where you have needs like hunger, thirst, and fatigue that you have to keep an eye on (but they aren't too annoying). You bathe by using your sauna. It's very impressive what one person has done so far.

Here's a series I've been watching that does a good job of showing what the game is like:

And just to make sure the OP knows the thread is alive: @Grebnu

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Yay! Thanks for @tting me :)

Yeah, this game is a pretty accurate description of what it meant to be a teenager in the 90's. My older brothers all went through the car building phase when they were 17-20 (you get you driver's licence when your are 18 in Finland). Of course they bought a "peltoauto" or field car when they were even younger. Those are shitty old cars that boys use to drive around fields and ice (winter). They have no licence plates or anything, and usually they are used until something goes caput for good. And then there were mopeds, everyone had one. Honda Monkey is one of the most iconic things from the 90's for many Finnish.

Nowadays things are different, young guys aren't that much into cars anymore, but of course the old tradition has survived in the more remote places. It's sad that people are all gathered in big cities, it denies you so many good things.

This game has the same weird sense of humour as Finnish people in general. Often it includes doing or saying utterly ridiculous things with a straight face. Like in this game, it takes it very seriously but there's things like "Press button to swear" or you can pee where you want and all that. Finns love to shock foreigners with this humour, it's always hilarious to see their reaction! Of course a proper Finn wouldn't show how much he or she enjoys the situation...

The maker of the game, Johannes Rojola, has made some pretty awesome(-ly weird) Youtube videos too. He has very unique sense of humour even for a Finnish. Here's a music video from him, and really drives home the point I made earlier:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=4ABgSzsPGDc

MSC plays with Finnish stereotypes well, one can instantly recognize all the elements from their own life. This is really a quite unique peek to what it meant to be a Finnish small town guy in the 90's.

If you really want to feel like an authentic Finn, you should load your game with 90's Euro-Dance like Cascada, E-type, E-rotic, Haddaway, Eiffel 65... Oh, so much memories! My brothers took me cruising local hotspots, I was like in elementary school and they were hitting girls and blasting their huge sound systems... I spent many great evenings with them, jumping in the back seat because of the bass. And the girls were always so sweet, they used to give me gum and candy. I am sure that my brothers used me as a bait to get girls, but it was a win-win situation.

I think that it's quite accurate thing to say that Finns have motoroil running in their veins. It is a part of our DNA. We've had our share of rally and formula drivers...

If you have any questions about the life in Finland in the 90's, please ask. Or if you need some translation help, I think that everything in the game is in Finnish?

Grebnu wrote: »
    If you really want to feel like an authentic Finn, you should load your game with 90's Euro-Dance like Cascada, E-type, E-rotic, Haddaway, Eiffel 65... Oh, so much memories!

I'm more partial to stuff like Amorphis and Korpiklaani, but I do plan to make a Finnish playlist. Sitting on the shore in the rain while drinking beer and eating sausage with Tales From the Thousand Lakes blaring from the stereo is pretty much how I picture Finland.
    Grebnu wrote: »
    If you have any questions about the life in Finland in the 90's, please ask. Or if you need some translation help, I think that everything in the game is in Finnish?

The game has English subtitles, so I haven't had much trouble knowing what's going on. The swears are... interesting.

There are some great tips for the game on the subreddit, specifically here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MySummerCar/comments/5axz72/tips_and_tricks_megathread/

If you drive the van, I would recommend staying in second gear on the dirt roads and staying around 100kph on the highway. That thing will kill you.

I am using my Xbox One controller for driving, and I recommend using something like joy2key to bind the right stick to mouse movement so you can look around while driving. You don't want to blindly pull out onto a road. Hopefully he adds better controller support in the future, but otherwise it works pretty well.

Actually, I did just think of a question I had. Why do you have to have a hazard triangle in the car to pass inspection? I assume that's a European thing.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    This game is GOTY 2017 fyi btw hth

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention is the game defaults to permadeath, which you can turn off on starting a new game. You can only save your game by using a toilet, which advances time 2 hours (which can kill you if your needs are in bad shape) and quits to the menu. It also currently has some unintended side effects like vehicle statuses resetting (like doors closing), darts on your map that show available jobs disappearing, and grocery bags exploding. So between the game trying to kill you at every turn and the inability to save whenever, it creates a nice tension that makes everything more rewarding, I feel, and I usually dislike that sort of thing. It makes just driving to the store and back an adventure (it took me 3 tries before I did it without dying).

Yay, my car runs! Man, that's an awesome feeling, starting it up for the first time after spending 2 days putting it together.

Only problem is I missed a nut on the brake line (I hunted forever when I put it in knowing there were 7, but I ended up mistaking a different nut for one of them) so my brake fluid all drained out. I fixed it, but I'll need to make another run to the store to get more fluid. It's close, though.

I'm having a weird problem where the car steering seems to gradually drift further and further off of alignment

Like it pulls to the passenger side but it doesn't feel like steering alignment necessarily, but instead it's like you have to gradually turn the wheel further and further off center to keep it moving straight

I tried taking off the wheel and then the steering column itself and put them back on but it's still doing it

I'm mystified

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    This game looks interesting and all but now I just want to hear more tales of OP's life in Finland in the 90's.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    desc wrote: »
    I'm having a weird problem where the car steering seems to gradually drift further and further off of alignment

Like it pulls to the passenger side but it doesn't feel like steering alignment necessarily, but instead it's like you have to gradually turn the wheel further and further off center to keep it moving straight

I tried taking off the wheel and then the steering column itself and put them back on but it's still doing it

I'm mystified

What are you using to control it? If using a gamepad, be sure you set a deadzone for the sticks. If it's the keyboard, I'm assuming you did an alignment on your car? Straight seems to be 60 clicks, on each wheel. Otherwise, something could be loose or just the physics being wonky. It could be anything in the suspension.

I'm trying to decide if I should try driving the car to the store with half a reservoir of brake fluid, or tow it with the septic truck. I'm worried towing it will damage it. I want to go ahead and get it inspected, though.

I'm mystified

What are you using to control it? If using a gamepad, be sure you set a deadzone for the sticks. If it's the keyboard, I'm assuming you did an alignment on your car? Straight seems to be 60 clicks, on each wheel. Otherwise, something could be loose or just the physics being wonky. It could be anything in the suspension.

I'm trying to decide if I should try driving the car to the store with half a reservoir of brake fluid, or tow it with the septic truck. I'm worried towing it will damage it. I want to go ahead and get it inspected, though.

I've tried gamepad and Logitech wheel both

I contemplated just driving it with the wheel at weird angles to the inspection shop and might do that and see what he says

Visually the wheels look fairly aligned and it's the fact that it's not a consistent pull off center that mystifies me

Maybe I'll fire it up today and take it to the shop

I'm mystified

I contemplated just driving it with the wheel at weird angles to the inspection shop and might do that and see what he says

Visually the wheels look fairly aligned and it's the fact that it's not a consistent pull off center that mystifies me

You can also try the mechanic. Maybe there's some damage you can't see, or just have him do an alignment.

• GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Hazard triangle is for safety reasons. If your car breaks on the road, you have to place the safety tringle down the road (decent distance away). I believe it's in the law.

Those swear words are again one Finnish humour thing. They are literally translated, which makes them sound horrible even for a Finnish. English just can't bend to same heights as Finnish, it is a structular thing. On the other hand, English is easy to learn, whereas Finnish...

If one likes folk metal, I'd whole heartedly would suggest giving Ensiferum a go. Great band. Then there's Turisas, Finntroll (they sing in Swedish but are Finnish), Moonsorrow and Wintersun are decent too.

Verjnuarmu is great too, they sing in Savo, it's an Eastern Finnish dialect. Awesome, awesome band. Most of the Finnish heavy bands are great, even the Christian ones. Got a few on my daily playlist.

I also like Insomnium, though they're melodeath.
    I found out that if you put the triangle down in the game, cars will actually stop. Also, don't drive on the railroad tracks, unless you like dying.

Well that was a fun drive to the shop with no brakes. I made with judicious use of downshifting and my handbrake, and only had to climb out of a ditch once, but I got to the store, put brake fluid it, and they worked great. I then got my inspection and license plates. Now working on putting on some of my aftermarket stuff. Hopefully I don't have to drive that van ever again.

I'm mystified

You can also try the mechanic. Maybe there's some damage you can't see, or just have him do an alignment.

If you want to remove damage by cheating, try deleting this file: C:\Users\you\AppData\LocalLow\Amistech\My Summer Car\meshsave.txt The game will generate a clean one if it's missing, and that's where it stores your damage. Maybe just body, but possibly other stuff too.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Is there a volume slider for the mosquitoes yet? I haven't booted the game up for quite a while. :P

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Is there a volume slider for the mosquitoes yet? I haven't booted the game up for quite a while. :P

No, but I bet you could extract the assets and replace it with a blank sound file. It looks like Unity, which is pretty easy to do that do from what I remember.

Though really, by doing a sauna once a day and using mosquito spray, I rarely hear them.

Zilla360 wrote: »

Yeah the volume slider is found by cranking up both knobs on the underside of the sauna heater

So maybe it was alignment -- I took it to the mechanic for an alignment and it seemed to resolve the steering. It seems weird that an alignment issue would manifest with inconsistent lurchy/ drifting steering

Someone on the twitch stream advised that you can just rotate the wheels to either maximum position and then rotate back 60 clicks to center which is good to know

Then I drove it and a piston blew out the bottom of the engine

So maybe it was alignment -- I took it to the mechanic for an alignment and it seemed to resolve the steering. It seems weird that an alignment issue would manifest with inconsistent lurchy/ drifting steering

Someone on the twitch stream advised that you can just rotate the wheels to either maximum position and then rotate back 60 clicks to center which is good to know

Then I drove it and a piston blew out the bottom of the engine

This guide is pretty good, and includes tips stuff like alignment, valve-timing, and carburetor mix:

http://my-summer-car.wikia.com/wiki/MY_SUMMER_CAR_GUIDE_2:_ELECTRIC_BOOGALOO

From what I've seen, you don't want to have the mechanic do your carburetor because I think he does it too lean, which will kill your engine.

I did come across that courtesy a steam thread! Re-reading it now though because we have moved onto a new problem: overheating and leaning out.

I installed the air/fuel gauge and realized it was getting up over 15.5 at temp so I will adjust the richness substantially the next time I play.

The car is slowly getting better, though!

I did come across that courtesy a steam thread! Re-reading it now though because we have moved onto a new problem: overheating and leaning out.

I installed the air/fuel gauge and realized it was getting up over 15.5 at temp so I will adjust the richness substantially the next time I play.

I have mine around 14.9. IIRC, the recommended range is 14.7 to 15.1. The richer it is, the better acceleration you get, but you have to rev the engine before putting it in gear (even with auto clutch) or it will die. It'll also cause more heat, but the upgraded radiator should handle it fine. Don't even think about upgrading the carburetor before you've upgraded the radiator.

I have mine around 14.9. IIRC, the recommended range is 14.7 to 15.1. The richer it is, the better acceleration you get, but you have to rev the engine before putting it in gear (even with auto clutch) or it will die. It'll also cause more heat, but the upgraded radiator should handle it fine. Don't even think about upgrading the carburetor before you've upgraded the radiator.

At idle in the driveway it was ~15.0 which seemed fine, but halfway to the gas station it had climbed to 15.5+ and then rapidly climbed over 16.0 and started emitting steam out the radiator

I refilled the radiator and checked the radiator hoses and they seemed fine; at first I was wondering if it was purely an overheating / radiator problem or what

So maybe it's just too rich already and that's overheating it and the problem compounds itself? I can live with stalling in first more easily than overheating.

The aftermarket radiator was definitely on my list as soon as this started happening

I still haven't touched the valve timing either hmm ...

So maybe it's just too rich already and that's overheating it and the problem compounds itself?

That is a thing that can happen, so yeah, probably.
    I still haven't touched the valve timing either hmm ...

I don't remember offhand what bad can happen from it, but if your engine is ticking, it needs to be adjusted. I think you get better horsepower if it's done correctly. It's pretty easy to do, just follow that guide. Takes maybe five minutes. Just be careful putting the screws back in because I accidentally adjusted one of the valves through the rocker cover.

I don't know the exact chain of events but the fanbelt was abruptly missing which might have caused the overheating. Not sure if that caused the problem and it began failing on the first drive before breaking before the attempted drive back. While troubleshooting this someone new on the twitch stream suggested the fan belt just have been too tight -- I thought I had it just inside of where it started squealing but I'll adjust it tonight and see.

Adjusted the a/f to ~ 14.6 to compare with a new fan belt on at the same setting for now and it drove perfectly fine (undoubtedly this was to lure me into a false sense of confidence before it breaks again).

Then I fell into a septic tank while trying to adjust the truck hose and died

^_^ ~ * m s c * ~ ^_^

in hindsight the subwoofers and cd player should have been my first upgrades

in hindsight the subwoofers and cd player should have been my first upgrades

They're pricey, but you should have a banging stereo before you do any body work or interior stuff. I mean, I guess you could park on the beach with a case of beer and admire your sweet spoiler and racing steering wheel, but I'll take tunes.

New update:
    -New version of the "Push" system, should work better while being less glitchy (or not!)
    -Fixed issue where player was at risk of dying after riding with the drunk driver
    -Fixed issue where yellow car driver did not begin to drive
    -Fixed occasional double pricing of bought fuel
    -Force feedback should work for all vehicles now
    -Ability to brew Kilju and use Juice cans as storing containers
    -Ability to sell Kilju for the drunk lifter when he is at home
    -Drunk lifter now tells you his life story when you are giving him a ride
    -Player can now sleep on Satsuma rear seat
    -Added Intro
    -Swamp area makes your vehicles stuck now
    -Alternator and Oil filter cannot be moved by hand if Tool-mode is selected
    -Adjusted timing of Fleetari calling about his car
    -Fixed issue with Fleetari services repair time
    -Added longer rear coil springs as an option
    -Fixed bug where rear trail arms could be detached while wheels stayed in place
    -Fixed bug with some of the fluid indicators getting stuck when closing the caps
    -Added customizable rear window sticker
    -Fixed possible bus spawning issue
    -Disabling HUD (F2) now also disables the crosshair
    -When passing out at the cottage island, player will wake up at the cottage
    -Fixed bug where player was able to throttle and adjust mixture with detached carburettor
    -Player can now climb back on to the boat

I've been looking forward to the ability to brew.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Watching this game being played is far more entertaining than it has any right to be.

https://youtu.be/ehlWriIl7Vo

(The Boys of the Summer on loop should be the whole game's soundtrack.)

So the train is active now. Yet another thing to kill you.