As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Very strange mouse problem

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Since last night I'm been getting this. Every few seconds (10-20) my left mouse button stops responding properly. It usually takes picking up the mouse and lightly banging it against the desk to make it work again.

Normally I would just assume it's the mouse and get a new one, but this one is brand new. I also tried an older mouse and it had the same issue. I tried both of these on alternate USB ports and still nothing.

It's making it extremely difficult to get anything done.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My first instinct would be that the mouse is the problems, especially since you say that smacking it fixes the issue. Are you sure you need to smack it? have you tried waiting to see if it comes back?

Assuming that it's not a physical problem with the mouse, it's most likely software related. Try booting into safe mode (press F8 when starting up your computer and select "Safe Mode"). Log into your account and test it for a few minutes to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't happen in safe mode then you know it's a software conflict somewhere in your machine. If it does happen in safe mode then it's either a Windows problem or a hardware problem (still the direction I'm leaning). Let me know what happens when you try this.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, I had a graphics card die today so while I was fiddling with the machine I gave it a sorely needed re-format.

And the mouse is STILL being strange. I have my older mouse hooked in now and it's working...but often requires multiple clicks.

My suspicions are leaning towards this being a motherboard problem. It's the only thing I can think of that would do this. Not sure if it's something I can resolve either... I may just have to live with it... or find a PS/2 mouse... it's possible the USB controllers on the mobo are the source.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have a cheap mouse that draws more power than it is allowed to. It fails and sometimes takes a few seconds to reset itself when hooked up to one of the back usb ports, or through an unpowered hub. Works fine on the front port, or through my powered hub.

Try a different port, or a powered hub.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg