As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    so you get to live at your favorite time of day, and there's like 6 of the things, and they can see each other. and the sun will be around long enough for a proton to have decayed, or some such.

seems like it would be a tits place some possibly quite hard scifi. it's, literally unbelievably, it just too freaking cool.

their astrology would be bizzar.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    so you get to live at your favorite time of day, and there's like 6 of the things, and they can see each other. and the sun will be around long enough for a proton to have decayed, or some such.

seems like it would be a tits place some possibly quite hard scifi. it's, literally unbelievably, it just too freaking cool.

Astrology? Stars would likely be visible only on the dark side or on the border regions - which I think would have the worst storms as that's where the temperature differential would be the greatest. It's likely anything living on those worlds (the closer ones anyway) will almost never see another star or planet. It would be like trying to see another planet in daylight - it can occasionally be done but it's always rare and faint

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Phyphor wrote: »

Astrology? Stars would likely be visible only on the dark side or on the border regions - which I think would have the worst storms as that's where the temperature differential would be the greatest. It's likely anything living on those worlds (the closer ones anyway) will almost never see another star or planet. It would be like trying to see another planet in daylight - it can occasionally be done but it's always rare and faint

You underestimate just how close they are to each other I think. The moon is quite visible in daylight, and they'd have moon sized discs in the sky..

The first time someone went to the far side would be horrifying for them though.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Woke up to this news and psyched all morning about it.

The most interesting thing that struck me was, supposing technological civilization developed on any of these worlds, they'd go full-solar power the moment they realized copper has a photo-electric effect.

When like 45% of your planet's surface area is perma-daylight, any amount of solar power is free electricity forever (+ the habitable zone wouldn't be big enough to really support a lot of fossil fuels I would think).

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Google has the most adorable doodle today :D :
    1A5MAUQ.gif

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    One thing that has been puzzling me about this. All the art/renderings/visuals show the star low on the horizon. If they were tidally locked, it would basically be noon with the sun at its zenith at all times, right?

It's tidally locked, so the sun will rise or fall on the horizon based on where you are on the planet. So if you're on the edge between the face directed towards the sun and the face directed away, then the sun will be low in the sky.

This is also the theoretically ideal place to find life or to live on a tidally locked planet. On the thin line between where it's too hot and where it's too cold, it will be windy, but the temperature could be relatively livable.

Need to change your phrasing there because the sun doesn't rise or fall on a tidally locked planet. It's position will differ depending on where you are standing on the planet, but it'll never move from that position.

It's a sphere. Where the sun is in relation to the horizon depends on where you are and how you are moving in relation to how the planet is rotating.
    Let's say vertex A is the position closest to the sun on the planet and vertex b is the position furthest from the sun on the planet. A will always be pointing at the sun, and B will always be pointing away.

But if you start at A and walk towards B, at some point the sun will begin to dip towards the horizon as you get closer to B until it falls completely below the horizon.

Of course. But I think you misread what I wrote.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

The most interesting thing that struck me was, supposing technological civilization developed on any of these worlds, they'd go full-solar power the moment they realized copper has a photo-electric effect.

When like 45% of your planet's surface area is perma-daylight, any amount of solar power is free electricity forever (+ the habitable zone wouldn't be big enough to really support a lot of fossil fuels I would think).

I couldn't imagine what our society would be like if we had that much solar and we had several planets within a stone's throw of us that we could potentially colonize.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

probably fairly consistent wind in a good part of the planet as well. they'd probably figure out how to exploit that fairly quickly too.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine what our society would be like if we had that much solar and we had several planets within a stone's throw of us that we could potentially colonize.

Probably stuck in constant warfare against the society living on the other side of the habitable ring with weird accents and beliefs and skin colours.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Richy wrote: »

Probably stuck in constant warfare against the society living on the other side of the habitable ring with weird accents and beliefs and skin colours.

Those fuckers, not a godly green like us, they're chartreuse.

• Options
    Richy wrote: »

hmmm.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    One thing that has been puzzling me about this. All the art/renderings/visuals show the star low on the horizon. If they were tidally locked, it would basically be noon with the sun at its zenith at all times, right?

It's tidally locked, so the sun will rise or fall on the horizon based on where you are on the planet. So if you're on the edge between the face directed towards the sun and the face directed away, then the sun will be low in the sky.

This is also the theoretically ideal place to find life or to live on a tidally locked planet. On the thin line between where it's too hot and where it's too cold, it will be windy, but the temperature could be relatively livable.

Need to change your phrasing there because the sun doesn't rise or fall on a tidally locked planet. It's position will differ depending on where you are standing on the planet, but it'll never move from that position.

The sun rises and falls based on your position on the planet. On earth, the change in position is driven by rotation of the earth. On Planet X, the change in position would be driven by your movement on the planet.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Heffling wrote: »
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The headline I found was

7 Earth-Like Planets Discovered Orbiting Star 39 Light-Years away

They are all in the liquid water zone.

:( and almoat certainly tidally locked. which maybe makes life harder.

There would be no seasons but it also would probably have to worry less about temperature fluctuations. Assuming the temperature differential doesn't cause too extreme weather I don't think it would matter

there would be no night and day. one side getting constantly cooked, the other frozen and never seeing the sun.

you'd get an evening ring that's temperate and maybe mostly out of the solar wind.

weather would be...strange.

I doubt they have moons, so no tides. and tidal zones are possibly good for getting life going. deep sea currents would be wierd for the same reasons the weather would be odd.

shrug. it is neat as hell. makes a great scifi settings.

If the planet had an atmosphere, you would have severe atmospheric effects caused by the temperature difference between the light and dark sides. Convection currents that cause a perpetual category 5 hurricane would make developing complex life forms much more difficult.

An alien species capable of space flight might be able to colonize such a planet, but I don't think a native species could develop space flight.

like the fuckall Coriolis effect wouldn't screw with the creation of cyclonic storms much would it?

There would be minimal coriolis effect because the planet isn't rotating, and rotation around the star has a much smaller influence. I imagine you could actually end up with huge vertical hurricanes, rather than our mundane horizontal ones.

Heffling on
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    It's important to note that tidal locking doesn't necessarily mean perfect stasis: the libration oscillation of the moon for example rocks it by a few %, and no orbit lacks eccentricity (Earths is 1% whilst mercury is 20%).

In a tidally locked world the parent Star will rock back and forth and grow and shrink over the course of time. This inconstancy in energy inputs could break standing weather patterns (or make them worse of course) and make the 'effective' twilight band bigger than you might think.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

The sun rises and falls based on your position on the planet. On earth, the change in position is driven by rotation of the earth. On Planet X, the change in position would be driven by your movement on the planet.

Tidally locked means the same face is always facing the object that tidally locked it. So there is no day/night variation at all based on where in the orbit it is. The only thing that would change would be the rest of the stars position which would (mostly) be determined by where in orbit it is.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Are the objects close enough together/large enough to make eclipses of the sun? If they are orbiting so quickly they might still have certain periods of 'night' and 'day'

Also, all the news things I'm reading say that nasa thinks/assumes the planets are tidally locked. this is just a function of how old the system is, right?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Are the objects close enough together/large enough to make eclipses of the sun? If they are orbiting so quickly they might still have certain periods of 'night' and 'day'

Also, all the news things I'm reading say that nasa thinks/assumes the planets are tidally locked. this is just a function of how old the system is, right?

don't know.
    the same side is always facing the sun, so speed shouldn't matter. the sun should be in about the same place.

it's not that old. I think the primary predictor of tidal locking would be the gravitational gradiant across the planet. it is more strongly pulled on one side than the other, so differences in mass distribution, result in one side getting stuck pointing at the sun.

they expecte it because of how close the planets are to the sun. gravity is a constant/distance^2 function. proportionally, those fall of more rapidly the closer you are to the object.

I think they are far enough away still to treat the sun as a point mass, so actual size of the su. doesn't matter as much as the closeness.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    There would be minimal coriolis effect because the planet isn't rotating, and rotation around the star has a much smaller influence. I imagine you could actually end up with huge vertical hurricanes, rather than our mundane horizontal ones.

The fact that they're tidally locked doesn't mean they aren't rotating. If the innermost planet is locked, that means it's rotating on its axis every 36 hours. The subsolar point wouldn't be moving much or at all, but you'd still have a solid planet spinning underneath a less-solid atmosphere, so there'd be forces being applied.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I could see aquatic life taking off in a tidally locked planet, but the weather would be far too intense for much to survive on the surface. I doubt any life we find would be sapient. The big problem of a life aquatic is a lack of tool making options. You can't start or carry a fire underwater without highly advanced technology. The evolutionary process that took us from mearly sentient early hominids to truly sapient modern homo was made possible thanks to fire and more specifically cooking. Additionally, the usefulness of toolmaking appendages would be limited by a need to get around. On land, a creature has the advantage of gravity holding them to a surface so one could carry a tool and move effectively. Under the sea hydrodynamics vastly limits effective movement. Even carrying and using something as simple as a hunting spear is nearly impossible, again without highly advanced technology.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Tidally locked means the same face is always facing the object that tidally locked it. So there is no day/night variation at all based on where in the orbit it is. The only thing that would change would be the rest of the stars position which would (mostly) be determined by where in orbit it is.

This seems to be a regular misunderstanding here. We're talking about someone walking from one side of the planet to the other, which would, from their perspective, create the effect that the sun changes position in relation to the horizon.

The artist renderings are positioned on the edge between the two extremes where the sun will be relatively low on the horizon. Yes, if you stayed still there the sun would not move, but if you walked towards or away from the sun it would appear to move in the sky as if it was rising or falling on the horizon.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You guys all agree.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    You guys all agree.

no, you see, they are saying the same thing.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    listen, sun goes up, sun goes down.

You can't explain that.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    listen, sun goes up, sun goes down.

You can't explain that.

Concave Earth

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I could see aquatic life taking off in a tidally locked planet, but the weather would be far too intense for much to survive on the surface. I doubt any life we find would be sapient. The big problem of a life aquatic is a lack of tool making options. You can't start or carry a fire underwater without highly advanced technology. The evolutionary process that took us from mearly sentient early hominids to truly sapient modern homo was made possible thanks to fire and more specifically cooking. Additionally, the usefulness of toolmaking appendages would be limited by a need to get around. On land, a creature has the advantage of gravity holding them to a surface so one could carry a tool and move effectively. Under the sea hydrodynamics vastly limits effective movement. Even carrying and using something as simple as a hunting spear is nearly impossible, again without highly advanced technology.

I envisage tribes of octopus persons clustered around mighty hydrothermal vents, their hearths and forges and engines

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

I envisage tribes of octopus persons clustered around mighty hydrothermal vents, their hearths and forges and engines

Or mantis shrimp punching the fuck out of hydrogen until it fuses

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

Or mantis shrimp punching the fuck out of hydrogen until it fuses

Rage-based science.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

You underestimate just how close they are to each other I think. The moon is quite visible in daylight, and they'd have moon sized discs in the sky..

The first time someone went to the far side would be horrifying for them though.

If anyone haven't, Nightfall by Asimov. Must. Read.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's always possible one or more of those planets is not tidally locked, too. There could be moons providing some gravitational shenanigans, for instance. Hard to know without getting an up close look. Maybe we could figure it out by taking spectra with a sensitive enough instrument, but that seems like a stretch to me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So it begins. Would you like to see the dark side of the moon? Buy one, get one!

We are excited to announce that SpaceX has been approached to fly two private citizens on a trip around the moon late next year. They have already paid a significant deposit to do a moon mission. Like the Apollo astronauts before them, these individuals will travel into space carrying the hopes and dreams of all humankind, driven by the universal human spirit of exploration. We expect to conduct health and fitness tests, as well as begin initial training later this year. Other flight teams have also expressed strong interest and we expect more to follow. Additional information will be released about the flight teams, contingent upon their approval and confirmation of the health and fitness test results.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    That is fucking awesome. At least billionaires have something they can spend their money on now.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    More useful than gold plated yachts that's for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I am 100% okay with the Uber wealthy funding a ton of rocket science. If this works out we're talking NASA buying manned science missions because why the hell not.

• Options
    kewl. That takes a really ambitious amount of thrust.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Interesting decision given politics around US space exploration currently. Clearly aimed to (although this is Elon time so 2018 could easily become 2020s) beat NASA to a circumlunar mission. Word is Trump, or members of his administration, has been pushing hard for crew on EM-1, the first SLS launch, to have a manned NASA flight within his first term. Current NASA plan is unmanned circumlunar flight of Orion on a bodged together one-off upper stage. This can probably get done in that time frame. Then a crewed flight for EM-2 with the EUS being built by the ESA in 2021ish. Crewing EM-1 will probably delay it significantly enough that it won't happen in Trump's first term anyway.

If Spacex can stick to this schedule (they won't, it's an Elon hyperoptimistic schedule) or at least get close they're a good shot of doing a cut down EM-2 before EM-1 even happens. Would be an excellent platform for arguing that there should be at least some government funding of his Mars plans.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't believe that 2018 target for a minute. That's next year and you don't even have a working rocket that can do that trip yet.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Really the important thing is when it happens compared to NASA's SLS mission schedule (which also looks likely to slip significantly).

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't believe that 2018 target for a minute. That's next year and you don't even have a working rocket that can do that trip yet.

Isn't the largest rocket they currently have only capable of putting a satelite into a Geostationary orbit? Like, wouldn't this take the full Falcon Heavy to actually do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca6x4QbpoM

However, if this does actually happen? I will fucking be there for that launch.

• Options
    Yes this would be on Falcon Heavy. Will not happen until after FH demo, probably a couple more FH fights and after Dragon 2 is fully qualified for and has been used for commercial crew program.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    In Africa, lions attack racist ranches. It's a fact, and there is a very good reason for it.

Racist owners and managers tend not to treat their employees well, underpaying and undertraining them. They might not know how to do their jobs properly, but even if they did, they're not exactly motivated to give a damn about it. Good workers would leave, and bad workers either wouldn't know to close the gates or couldn't care to do it. What's more, if people are being paid starvation wages, they might poach local game, reducing the amount available to carnivores (who then go after cattle to survive) or just plain kill and sell that beef themselves and claim the carnivores did it.

Meanwhile, at not-racist farms, the employees aren't treated terribly and they know how to manage risk so they don't have problems with big cat attacks. There's a generally applicable lesson to be learned here but I doubt most employers in the world will listen.

Mayabird on
This discussion has been closed.