As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Michigan State is the center of your newest major scandal. It's caught up in the USA Gymnastics sexual assults scandal. Dr. Larry Nassar is at the center of the allegations there, and he was a Michigan State employee. He was fired in September. Yesterday Michigan State suspended their women's gymnastics coach due to allegations from her athletes that she ignored complaints dating back 20 years about Nassar. Today she "retired."

Meanwhile, three football players are suspended and have been kicked out of their dorm pending an investigation (both criminal and Title IX) into a sexual assault allegation. A football staff member was also suspended.

An outside law firm has been hired to investigate athletic staff's compliance with sexual assault policies, which had been connected with the football thing until the last two days, now it might be more about the gymnastics part. Not sure.

Also, their marching band director was fired for sexual harassment.

Jesus christ, is anyone in college sports not sexually assaulting people?

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Michigan State is the center of your newest major scandal. It's caught up in the USA Gymnastics sexual assults scandal. Dr. Larry Nassar is at the center of the allegations there, and he was a Michigan State employee. He was fired in September. Yesterday Michigan State suspended their women's gymnastics coach due to allegations from her athletes that she ignored complaints dating back 20 years about Nassar. Today she "retired."

Meanwhile, three football players are suspended and have been kicked out of their dorm pending an investigation (both criminal and Title IX) into a sexual assault allegation. A football staff member was also suspended.

An outside law firm has been hired to investigate athletic staff's compliance with sexual assault policies, which had been connected with the football thing until the last two days, now it might be more about the gymnastics part. Not sure.

The women.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

The women.

In this case, the gymnastics coach who told her athletes it wasn't a big deal was a woman.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Never underestimate the power of women to uphold the patriarchy.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The head coach of Baylor Women's basketball had, among other things, this to say in defense of Baylor (from WaPo):
    “If somebody’s around you and they ever say, ‘I will never send my daughter to Baylor,’ you knock them right in the face.”

When people started reacting poorly to that?
    Mulkey defended her words on Sunday, telling espnW she “didn’t think about what [she] was going to say” before speaking to the crowd, but her “point was ‘Please don’t paint, with a broad brush, the women at Baylor.’ ”

I looked at my players, and the little girls and the women who are cheering for them,” Mulkey said. “And I spoke with a lot of emotion.”

She continued: “Not only do I sympathize with victims, I am angry about the way victims were treated at this university. It is horrible, horrible anytime someone does not take care of a victim. Even one sexual assault is too many. Nobody is dismissing what happened here. I want us to get to the bottom of it.”

Mulkey explained in the postgame news conference that she was “just tired of hearing” about the school’s problems.

'Best damn school in the country', indeed.

Nassar got charged a couple days ago in both Lansing and Texas. There are 81 girls who have contacted the police about him now, though only I think 26 charges so far.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Jesus christ

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, in more traditional NCAA fuckery, five Richmond baseball players are suspended for playing fantasy football:
    The Richmond Times-Dispatch broke the story late last week that star pitcher Keenan Bartlett, infielder Kurtis Brown, and three of their teammates haven’t played yet this season because someone told the NCAA that they’d been playing fantasy football. The actual rule they violated, per the Times-Dispatch, is a ban on gambling in any form, including paying an entry fee into a fantasy league.

Here’s the rule:
    “You are not eligible to compete if you knowingly participate in any sports wagering activity that involves intercollegiate, amateur or professional athletics, through a bookmaker, a parlay card or any other method employed by organized gambling. Examples of sports wagering include, but are not limited to, the use of a bookmaker or parlay card; Internet sports wagering; auctions in which bids are placed on teams, individuals or contests; and pools or fantasy leagues in which an entry fee is required.”
    The Times-Dispatch doesn’t get into specifics about what exactly the players did that got them suspended. It could have been participating in daily fantasy sports or just informally playing for a few dollars amongst friends. NCAA athletes are warned not to play for money and even though fantasy sports are legal, the NCAA does not agree. That said, this rule is repressive and unfair, which makes it par for the course for the NCAA.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Look, if they were actually gambling for money (and yes, once you put money on the line fantasy sports become gambling), then they got what they deserved here. The mob ran Boston College basketball in a point shaving gambling scheme the late 1970s, so no tolerance for gambling makes sense. There are plenty of free fantasy leagues they could have joined rather than putting money on the line.

If they were just in a free ESPN league or something and got banned for it, then yeah, its NCAA fuckery. But if they were putting money on the line, then they deserved to get slapped down.

PSN|AspectVoid
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Look, if they were actually gambling for money (and yes, once you put money on the line fantasy sports become gambling), then they got what they deserved here. The mob ran Boston College basketball in a point shaving gambling scheme the late 1970s, so no tolerance for gambling makes sense. There are plenty of free fantasy leagues they could have joined rather than putting money on the line.

If they were just in a free ESPN league or something and got banned for it, then yeah, its NCAA fuckery. But if they were putting money on the line, then they deserved to get slapped down.

Actually, what enables things like that is treating your players like shit and keeping money from them (we saw this happen with the Black Sox Scandal, to name a famous incident.)

Guess what the NCAA's good at?

Actually, what enables things like that is treating your players like shit and keeping money from them (we saw this happen with the Black Sox Scandal, to name a famous incident.)

Look, I totally agree that like 90% of the NCAA's rules are shit. I just don't think their anti-gambling stance is one of them.

PSN|AspectVoid

Look, I totally agree that like 90% of the NCAA's rules are shit. I just don't think their anti-gambling stance is one of them.

Which doesn't change the fact that the "if we don't do this, it opens the door for corruption" argument is a bad one. Zero tolerance policies are bad, period; and they would get more milage out of treating their players fairly with regards to pay.

Which doesn't change the fact that the "if we don't do this, it opens the door for corruption" argument is a bad one. Zero tolerance policies are bad, period; and they would get more milage out of treating their players fairly with regards to pay.

Paying players (which I agree with) and banning your members from gambling (which I also agree with) are two completely separate things. Attempting to tie them together with "well, if they got paid they wouldn't have to gamble" is a poor argument because there are plenty of non-gambling ways they should be allowed to make money. For example, they should be allowed to get part time jobs, they should be allowed to sign autographs for money, they should be allowed to sell their own likeness for money, etc. None of those things involve gambling, and all would allow them to make money.

PSN|AspectVoid

Paying players (which I agree with) and banning your members from gambling (which I also agree with) are two completely separate things. Attempting to tie them together with "well, if they got paid they wouldn't have to gamble" is a poor argument because there are plenty of non-gambling ways they should be allowed to make money. For example, they should be allowed to get part time jobs, they should be allowed to sign autographs for money, they should be allowed to sell their own likeness for money, etc. None of those things involve gambling, and all would allow them to make money.

The point is that trying to justify an anti-gambling stance by arguing that it's needed to combat corruption does conflate the two. Poor compensation of employees is a well known weak point for security, and one of the largest corruption incidents in sports involving gambling was driven in significant part by this. So if you're going to defend anti-gambling policies, there are better grounds to do so than "we need these policies to prevent organized crime from stacking the deck", because that particular problem tends to be driven more by compensation (or the lack thereof.)

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I completely agree with anti-gambling rules for athletes, but even I think this is a stretch and not inline with the intent of the rules. Fantasy barely counts as gambling, and it's not like collegiate baseball players have any sway over how a pro football player performs with their fantasy stats.

The rules are in place to prevent intentionally throwing games and point shaving, which don't really apply here.

LostNinja on
    LostNinja wrote: »

I completely agree with anti-gambling rules for athletes, but even I think this is a stretch and not inline with the intent of the rules. Fantasy barely counts as gambling, and it's not like collegiate baseball players have any sway over how a pro football player performs with their fantasy stats.

The rules are in place to prevent intentionally throwing games and point shaving, which don't really apply here.

And that highlights the problem with zero tolerance policies - enforcement on the edge cases where it isn't warranted erodes support for enforcement in the cases where it is.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Aren't fantasy sports a 'skill game' and very specifically not gambling? Like, isn't that legally speaking a huge deal? Wouldn't it be illegal in most places if it was gambling instead of a 'skill game'

Like, yes, I know it is gambling. But legally speaking, it is very much defined as NOT GAMBLING isn't it?

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Aren't fantasy sports a 'skill game' and very specifically not gambling? Like, isn't that legally speaking a huge deal? Wouldn't it be illegal in most places if it was gambling instead of a 'skill game'

Like, yes, I know it is gambling. But legally speaking, it is very much defined as NOT GAMBLING isn't it?

The NCAA can define it differently than the legal definition, and I would say I agree it's gambling and not a skill game.

I ate an engineer

No, legally speaking Fantasy Sports are gambling, hence why many states that have legal gambling (New York, Nevada, etc) have banned them because the Fantasy Sports companies that charge money don't have a gambling license in said states. On a federal level they were specifically excluded from some of the federal gambling laws (and the fact that they had to be written as exclusion for those laws can be used to justify that they are a form of gambling), but not at a state level and the states have been crushing them over the last year.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

No, legally speaking Fantasy Sports are gambling, hence why many states that have legal gambling (New York, Nevada, etc) have banned them because the Fantasy Sports companies that charge money don't have a gambling license in said states. On a federal level they were specifically excluded from some of the federal gambling laws (and the fact that they had to be written as exclusion for those laws can be used to justify that they are a form of gambling), but not at a state level and the states have been crushing them over the last year.

New York never banned them, they were just never licensed. They are now licensed and regulated (and taxed) as of last fall.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    So my question to you is, as an individual who has experience in collegiate athletics, how does participating in an NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL (or any collegiately and NCAA recognized sport) fantasy league have any relevance to collegiate athletes/employees?

Those playing a collegiate sport have no ability to dictate a professional game, and participating in fantasy sports does no harm except for maybe losing some money and time.

So, how the hell does that make sense? It has zero effect at the NCAA level. Do you really believe a former athlete or teammate is going to listen to a current athlete/employee say "hey I'm playing against somebody who has you in their line-up, I know this is your livelihood, but could you take a dive for me?"

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So my question to you is, as an individual who has experience in collegiate athletics, how does participating in an NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL (or any collegiately and NCAA recognized sport) fantasy league have any relevance to collegiate athletes/employees?

Those playing a collegiate sport have no ability to dictate a professional game, and participating in fantasy sports does no harm except for maybe losing some money and time.

So, how the hell does that make sense? It has zero effect at the NCAA level. Do you really believe a former athlete or teammate is going to listen to a current athlete/employee say "hey I'm playing against somebody who has you in their line-up, I know this is your livelihood, but could you take a dive for me?"

It's a slippery slope argument, except the slope is wayyyy beyond slippery. It's greased with like, KY or something.

VishNub on
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular

I figured the ban on gambling on other sports was to keep players/coaches/etc from becoming in debt to...unsavory types who might call in those favors and call into question the 'purity' of the game.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nah. More about control. Nobody really gave too much of a shit about Jordan's gambling. But nobody could control him anyway.

At the pro level, they don't really care so long as you don't bet on your own sport. I think it's fairly safe to say that at the college level it's about less than that.

Though, studant-athletes are probably more prone to getting into the debt of gamblers because they don't have any fucking money to begin with. Not that there's anything that can help resolve that... Personally, I'm more upset that they signed up with Fan Kings or whatever. But participating in fantasy sports for money? Well, I guess that's worse than sexual assault, so...okay.

Unless you buy the Jordan retirement was a secret suspension conspiracy theory.

I would be more prone to believing he runs teams poorly to pay off debts.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The NBA is a weird example. Donaghy(the ref) getting arrested for point shaving was what like 10 years ago. And why did he do it? Cause he owed tens of thousands of dollars for other gambling debts, and it's not like NBA refs make peanuts to start with.

After which they changed the rules allowing refs to gamble(it had been completely banned), but prohibiting them from gambling on sports.

I by default believe every NBA "extend the series/make the better TV ratings team win" allegation because there have just been too many WTF games over the years where whistles get put away for or only get blown on one team once the game gets into the 4th.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

I figured the ban on gambling on other sports was to keep players/coaches/etc from becoming in debt to...unsavory types who might call in those favors and call into question the 'purity' of the game.

Yeah, but I couldn't fathom playing a fantasy league to the point of getting in debt from it. I realize with daily leagues it's a greater possibility, but still.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gambling addiction is a thing.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Gambling addiction is a thing.

Also they condition you to associate playing with pleasure by using small rewards and music

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

They can still gamble on racing and other stuff though, right?

It is unlikely that one would be able to influence others outside of their team or sport, but it's not impossible. I think it's more a case of draconian rules to avoid even the possibility of appearance of corruption.

Anybody want to guess what a giant factor in opposition to paying college athletes is?

It's race!

Anybody want to guess what a giant factor in opposition to paying college athletes is?

It's race!

Yeah, no surprise that. People suck. The article was an interesting read, though. What really caught my eye was the education resentment rather than the racial resentment.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Apparently, the NCAA has never heard of the Streisand Effect:
    Lynn Marshall, Gregg’s wife, was filmed by Kentucky Sports Radio’s Drew Franklin after getting a little rowdy in the stands during last night’s exciting game between the Shockers and Wildcats, which Kentucky won 65-62. Marshall, who was reportedly visited by security three times and later escorted from her seat by a police officer after loudly cursing throughout the game, did not take kindly to having her cheering methods broadcast to the internet, so she rang up the NCAA for some good old-fashioned reporter bullying.

Franklin tweeted the occasional Marshall update throughout the game; he eventually took a 20-second video to his Twitter and included it in the initial version of his post on KSR. According to Franklin, an NCAA official stopped by his spot on press row—he was seated at the end of the row behind the Wichita State bench, right next to Lynn—and asked him to stop tweeting about her because “she saw it and she is upset.”

The NCAA circled back on Franklin after Wichita State had its two potential game-tying three-pointers blocked. Reportedly threatening Franklin with having his tournament credential revoked, an NCAA official approached Franklin after the game in the media room and demanded he delete the video from his personal account. Franklin wrote that the official stood over him while he took down the video; KSR later re-uploaded the video for their post, where it can be viewed in full.

The NCAA did not respond to our request for comment.

KSR was joined in reporting on Marshall’s antics by both national and local press. According to a report from the AP, Marshall was asked to leave her seat behind the Wichita State bench by a stadium security guard after “loudly cursing” from her seat roughly 10 minutes after the game ended. A police officer escorted her from her spot, later taking her to Gregg’s postgame press conference. The run-in was at least Marshall’s fourth of the night with stadium security—per WTVQ reporter Kennedy Hardman, security stopped by to chat with Marshall three times during the game. When they finally decided to kick Marshall out, Hardman reported that the security guard said, “Since it’s the Head Coach’s wife we have to be delicate.”

A team spokesperson told the AP he was unaware of any issues and that the team would have no comment.

Congratulations, NCAA, for tossing gas on the fire.

That story gives me a worse opinion of the reporter than it does the NCAA for their handling of it. Coach's wife or not I think the reporter was kinda being a dick by publicizing a private individual's actions with the sole purpose or embarrassing then like that, even if she was being awful.

That story gives me a worse opinion of the reporter than it does the NCAA for their handling of it. Coach's wife or not I think the reporter was kinda being a dick by publicizing a private individual's actions with the sole purpose or embarrassing then like that, even if she was being awful.

Why shouldn't she face social opprobrium? He wasn't mocking her for doing something acceptable, he was pointing out that she was being an offensive boor who was making other fans uncomfortable as well (hence why she was ultimately booted from the arena.)

And the NCAA is (surprise) lying their asses off, claiming that no, they didn't force the video to be removed, and that she wasn't ejected, but instead "she was escorted from her seat to the back-of-house area so that she could attend Coach Marshall’s press conference."

Why shouldn't she face social opprobrium? He wasn't mocking her for doing something acceptable, he was pointing out that she was being an offensive boor who was making other fans uncomfortable as well (hence why she was ultimately booted from the arena.)

As she should have been, but she is not a public figure, so yes I believe a reporter with a very large audience using their platform to ridicule someone is bullying.

I generally have a rule against public shaming of non-public individuals.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

As she should have been, but she is not a public figure, so yes I believe a reporter with a very large audience using their platform to ridicule someone is bullying.

I generally have a rule against public shaming of non-public individuals.

i'd argue you make yourself at least a minor public figure by making an ass of yourself in a public place at a televised event, especially if the issue is pertinent to sportsmanship at a sporting event.

Something bad in your example would be if she had horrible psoriasis or something and the writer was making a post about that.

Anybody attending a sporting event has a limited expectation of privacy.