As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MMA]Break a leg!

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah. Romero is probably not too happy about that, I would imagine.

Both he and Jacare (to a less extent) deserve a crack at Bisping before GSP. But deserve isn't really a thing. The new owners are trying to make money to get back their investment and this is a quick way to do it.

Also, GSP is a great fighter. Regardless of the size difference, I think he has a solid chance of winning. Then he'd be the 4th guy in UFC history to hold titles in 2 different weight divisions.

And mark my words: If GSP wins, you can bet that Conor will suddenly come out of the woodwork and want to fight him for that title. And the UFC will make that fight, too, because money.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I wonder if that $Conor fight wasn't at least some small part to play in GSPs return.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Conor vs GSP is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Make it happen, nameless owners.

Fuck off and die.
  • eEK!eEK! Registered User regular
    err is no one else worried about a rusty guy with brain damage, fighting a volume puncher from a weight class up?

GSP has brain damage?

I mean, every fighter probably does to some extent. Is his so particularly bad that it bears mentioning?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    He's commented in interviews that he's "lost time" before...

Don't know if he's had any actual scans or anything.

I thought that had to do with his wacky beliefs about aliens.

Sounds like I need to dig up some old interviews.

The way he talked about it on Rogan's podcast sounded pretty much like fainting spells.

Fuck off and die.

I think he's always been really into UFOs and aliens (also dinosaurs!). Thus when he started having these black outs, he wondered if it might have been aliens kidnapping him.

To be fair to GSP if aliens wanted to analyse the very best examples of our species, then he's probably on page one of their abduction book.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular

If you listen to the interview when it comes up, it really sounds like Rogan pushing the "but what if it's aliens" angle and GSP just going "uhhh yeah maybe"

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    Ah. That's why I need to go back and listen to that podcast. I'm missing the context.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    it doesnt matter who comes back
    Conor will ruin them for money

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Oh for fucks sake! Now I can't even buy UFC ppvs. I have to buy some shitty channel package with the Danish commentators, who are shit from a butt.

Fuck off and die.
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    Conor bless to you all this ufc 209 weekend.

Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Oh for fucks sake! Now I can't even buy UFC ppvs. I have to buy some shitty channel package with the Danish commentators, who are shit from a butt.

Oh man that's annoying, you could maybe try using a VPN change you location?

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    jesus fuck that guy. he should be banned from ever being mentioned as a contender, threat or anything with how much he pulls out ruining good fights. big talking bum. uggggg

scared of conor
    thats whats going on

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Yep. Khabib could be the greatest fighter ever, but we'll never know because he can't keep his shit together.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    scared of conor
    thats whats going on

but they both run away, just in different directions.

He's meant to have a brutal weight cut. Even if he makes it to the weigh-in/fight he might be overweight and therefore no title fight.

Conor remains champion!

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Aw man, sucks big time about Khabib. I was just about sold on this PPV too... I guess as a rule of thumb its a good idea to hold off on buying until the 11th hour.

After watching the embedded series and gaining more insight into their personalities, I must say I'm a bigger fan of both Khabib and Ferguson than I was before.

I like the straight talking, supremely confident thing Khabib has going on. Plus the dynamic between him and Daniel Cormier at AKA is really great. Russian wrestling master vs American wrestling master. You can really see the mutual respect between the two, despite the fact that they're always busting each others balls.

I used to dislike Ferguson for the seemingly forced badass persona that he puts on during interviews with the media, but the wackiness of it all kind of won me over. Now I look at him as a Diego Sanchez 2.0. His random "WOOOOO!!" out of nowhere during the media day staredowns had me in stitches.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I find it funny that the only bad fights were the main events of the prelim show and PPV.

Magell on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    35 year old Ben Rothwell popped. 2nd drug test failure, so when it's inevitably confirmed he's eligible for 4 years minimum.

35 year old Ben Rothwell popped. 2nd drug test failure, so when it's inevitably confirmed he's eligible for 4 years minimum.

Oh man, that sucks. Love watching that big goon fight.

So far he's just been flagged, so there's still the B sample and hearing to go through.

4 years though, fucking ouch.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Man I know a bunch of guys that train at Rothwells that's a bummer.

Coached at a tournament over the weekend and one of my new guys hit a carni from rubber guard in under 30 seconds. About lost it I was so excited.

On the other end of the spectrum one of my other new guys used a bogus handshake during a reset to get a double leg. Then taunted the guy after and got penalized for it. So that was embarrassing.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    I've said it before, but it bears repeating, 10th planet names for positions are hilarious.

What do you do with a student like handshake guy? Do you tell them off after the fact?

I love the 10th planet names but man are they hard to keep up with. And yeah they're hilarious. I apologized a few times to the other guys coach and waited to talk to my guy back at the gym once he had settled down, he does it again he's out. No room for that kind of stuff. He seemed to listen but we'll see

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I'm mostly glad it wasn't worse, other guy was Brasa, if Comprido had been around coaching for them I doubt he would have been as chill about it

Wow.

This might actually happen.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/floyd-mayweather-officially-out-of-retirement-for-conor-mcgregor-fight-031117
    The battle over that top spot appears to be the stumbling block to making a fight with McGregor go from rumor to reality, but Mayweather says his track record is proven so it’s the Irishman who needs to concede to take a lower portion of the proceeds for a potential pay-per-view.

“When I faced Arturo Gatti, I went to his turf. He was the ‘A’ side, I was the ‘B’ side. I beat him, I didn’t cry, I didn’t complain. When I faced Oscar De La Hoya, he was the ‘A’ side, I was the ‘B’ side. I didn’t cry, I didn’t complain, I beat him, and I became the A side. For Conor McGregor, I’m coming out of retirement, just to fight Conor McGregor,” Mayweather said.

“I don’t want to hear no more excuses about the money, about the UFC. Sign the paper with the UFC so you can fight me in June. Simple and plain. Let’s fight in June. You’re the ‘B’ side, I’m the ‘A’ side. We’re not here to cry about money. I’m tired of all this crying about money and talking about you want to fight. You blowing smoke up everybody’s ass. If you want to fight, sign the paperwork, let’s do it.”

I do wonder how much a complete schooling by Mayweather will affect McGregors stock? I think we can all agree that in a straight boxing match that is the only thing that will happen. Is the payout big enough for Conor to warrant signing a contract where he'll surely be destroyed? Or is this all just more marketing by McGregor to get his named out there even more...?

it will boost his stock because he will win

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Campy wrote: »
    I do wonder how much a complete schooling by Mayweather will affect McGregors stock? I think we can all agree that in a straight boxing match that is the only thing that will happen. Is the payout big enough for Conor to warrant signing a contract where he'll surely be destroyed? Or is this all just more marketing by McGregor to get his named out there even more...?

If he's smart he plays it safe after trying to KO him the first round or so, focuses on surviving and then talks about how Mayweather couldn't finish him and how he'd kill Mayweather in MMA. If he doesn't get knocked out his stock goes up, if he does it takes a slight dip, either way he gets a huge payday.

Got to corner another fight, pretty cool muay thai fight. Our guy showed up, both fighters weighed in, then the day of the fight the other guy showed up, claimed he had scratched his eye sparring somehow in the time in between and backed out. Fortunately another guy a weight class up who had his fight cancelled stepped up. Our fighter won by 2nd round TKO, had a really nice showing.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    MMA fighter War Machine has been found guilty of twenty-nine felony counts relating to his 2014 domestic violence assault on ex-girlfriend Christy Mack. XBix.com says that the jury in the trial, in which War Machine was accused of assaulting Mack and her friend in August of that year, returned a guilty verdict on twenty nine of thirty-two charges. He was acquitted of charges regarding burglary with a deadly weapon, sexually motivated coercion and battery with intent to commit sexual assault; jurors were also unable to reach a verdict on attempted murder charges regarding Mack and friend Corey Thomas.

War Machine did not testify during the trial, where he was accused of carrying out a brutal attack on Mack that left her with eighteen broken bones, a broken nose, missing teeth, fractured ribs and a lacerated liver. She alleged on the stand that he abused her and attempted to rape her in the months before the assault, a charge to which his attorney tried to claim that Mack’s adult film career could be seen as a form of consent.

For the charges, Mack could face life in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced on June 5th.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Bellator 180 PPV - MSG in June: Chael vs Wanderlei

Fedor/Mitrione co-headlining

yes really

Bader/Davis likely too according to Ariel

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ooooh a PPV, classy.

I for one am excited about the prospect of more incoherent Axe murderer ramblings

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!