As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Snowboarding help

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
So I tried snowboarding the other day. Took a lesson and it was fun. But I'm a bit demoralize because no matter how hard I tried I can never get up on my board while facing down hill. Granted I'm fat and not athletic, but I know I can pick myself off the ground.

Is there any exercise that mimics this motion that I can use to train before I go back up this mountains?

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Crunches, squats, and lunges. Gotta get that core in shape for riding.
    Doing pushups with your knees on the ground will help develop some upper body strength for pushing yourself upright when facing up-hill. For a lot of beginners it's easier to stand up on your toe side until you gain confidence, strength, and balance to boost off your butt onto heel-side and immediately set off downhill.
    edit: Do some yoga, too, there are some great beginner yoga videos on youtube and it'll help your balance tremendously. Poses like warrior, tree, and the lunges are great for balancing from your toes to your core, and will get your calves and groin stretched out before a day on the mountain.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    yeah it's less about strength and more about experience. you can do some exercises for your core, which help you in riding too, but it's mostly a matter of trying and trying. the trick is to get up into a movement downhill, which can be annoying. try it on small slopes or at the bottom of slopes first.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    This was the surprising thing I found when learning, too -- it was my upper body that was super worn out, not my lower body, because I was using my arms/core to lift myself up so much.

In particular, to get up when facing downhill, I move into a squat on the board and then stand up; it can be a bit fiddly if you're on a slope and start moving off while that's going on, but that's the basic idea. This sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfize5V5yoA

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    See it's the whole getting up while the board is sliding part that gets me. I just can't do it

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh, that's just balance then. You need to understand your feet and the board better, if it's not that you can't get your weight up. It will come with practice.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    See it's the whole getting up while the board is sliding part that gets me. I just can't do it

You don't want to get up while the board is sliding. Dig your edge in, then pop up and start carving toward toe or backside. The key to both skiing and snowboarding is to lean forward to pressure the tip for control, which feels counterintuitive.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

You don't want to get up while the board is sliding. Dig your edge in, then pop up and start carving toward toe or backside. The key to both skiing and snowboarding is to lean forward to pressure the tip for control, which feels counterintuitive.

Alternatively, eventually learn to just launch into motion with a push and short ollie. :P

What is this I don't even.
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular

Keep your heel side dug in while doing it. You will slide a bit, it is unavoidable. Try to use the slope to your advantage too, and then essentially shift backwards and push forwards to build momentum.

Alternatively, you can always stand up facing uphill.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

Alternatively, eventually learn to just launch into motion with a push and short ollie. :P

Or you can do the smart thing and add another plank you filthy knuckle dragger.
    Just kidding!
    Also - first 3 days on a board are hellish, after that the balance gets easier

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Or you can do the smart thing and add another plank you filthy knuckle dragger.
    Just kidding!
    Also - first 3 days on a board are hellish, after that the balance gets easier

Very true... When learning to carve, just pretend like your are shit faced drunk and don't worry about how far you have to lean over.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Also if you are a bigger dude, consider that your board might be too small and you are off balance because of that. If you're renting, try a few different sizes of boards if they have them to find the one that best works for you.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    when learning, if the sliding while butt down is messing with your getting up, just roll over onto your knees, locks the front edge a little tighter

( tho now you have the problem of facing up the mountain instead of down, so your call on if can get a start that way)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Consult a physician before doing a diet or workout routine.

Seriously the warning labels that say as such? DO THAT SHIT.

I was fighting hard to improve my fitness, energy and concentration for work but I had problems that could be discovered by some simple blood work. Upon treatment, I lost seven pounds before I met my personal trainer.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Also - in general for skiing/snowboarding beginners- if you fall backwards you're doing it wrong. If you fall forwards you're on the right track. When it feels like things are going too fast and ohshit - lean forward to regain control.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    just a note, i've been snowboarding for years and i still have trouble getting up from a sitting position

like just being bigger and less flexible makes this pretty difficult, especially if you've just fallen and you're really tired

so working out, especially doing squats and full bodyweight exercises (burpees ugh) should give you the strength and stamina to get better at it..but don't demoralize yourself if you still struggle standing up from that position.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Also - in general for skiing/snowboarding beginners- if you fall backwards you're doing it wrong. If you fall forwards you're on the right track. When it feels like things are going too fast and ohshit - lean forward to regain control.

Really? I thought falling on your ass as fine, as long as you're not landing on your hands. Bracing with your hands and arms is really bad.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Really? I thought falling on your ass as fine, as long as you're not landing on your hands. Bracing with your hands and arms is really bad.

He meant it with regards to posture/standing correctly. Falling backwards here is falling towards your back foot, meaning you are putting your weight on that foot. (falling on your ass or on your chest depends on which direction you're facing, not on where your weight is.)

When actual bailing forward ya, unless it's to like redirect yourself from face firsting a tree, you don't want to try and stop with your arms/hands.

If anything soon enough you'll start bailing into like a tuck and roll, which will eventually lead to being able to roll right back up into a boarding position.

Julius wrote: »

He meant it with regards to posture/standing correctly. Falling backwards here is falling towards your back foot, meaning you are putting your weight on that foot. (falling on your ass or on your chest depends on which direction you're facing, not on where your weight is.)

This. Once you're at least a solid intermediate you can start leaning back to fall in certain situations, but generally people fall backwards from leaning back when they get scared, which lessens control. If you build your reaction as lean forward, it's one less bad habit.

https://youtu.be/pAuRz-QP5tM

These guys channel is great, I'm a 20 year + boarder ( even was sponsored for a brief bit in 90's,) and I still learn stuff from them