As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox Live] KoToR, Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies and more coming to Xbox Original BC

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Xbox Live thread!
The number one spot on the forums to complain about server outages and console exclusivity!
Below you will find a community list of Xboners, feel free to peruse and add us for gaming fun times!

Games with Gold
First announced during E3 2013, the Games with Gold program offers free Xbox 360 games to users who purchase Gold-level memberships for Xbox Live.

Backwards Compatible Updates
The BC program has added over 300 old 360 titles to the Xbone, with more hitting each week. Stay tuned to this space for updates.

Xbox Pass
Coming Spring 2017
"Enjoy unlimited access to over one hundred great Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles, including fan-favorites like Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16, and LEGO Batman. With so many games to download and discover, your Xbox experience will never be the same."

PA Related Game Clubs
Pax Arcadia
Arcade Squad (Gears)
The Bees Knees (Halo)

PA Gamertags:
PA Xbox Live User Form
For results, you can view the updated list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u2jxaAFEwzly0Zu3-N2vuM8h6wzdj-Np9KmrQfMomCI/edit#gid=175142837

Local H Jay on

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pretty sure they're up to like...300+ BC titles? (341 if I did this count correctly)

Also you should put the Pax Arcadia club in there. (Feel free to add Arcade Squad, the PA Gears club, there too.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Good point(s)

You suck at this, is what I'm trying to say.

(Kidding, thanks for making a new thread <3)

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping to get a notification that I'm in that Game Pass Alpha circle.
    Its hard to tell if you are alpha preview. I think I usually get stuff in the first or second wave....give me free rentals even if its a short while please.

I'm happy Game Pass exists right now, just can't hop on it yet when I have an insane backlog. It's bad that games I thought looked fun like Gears 4 and Watchdogsa 2 feel like busy work. I'd rather load up Hexic or Pacman DX and goof off than slog through generic action game #2302

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    20 minutes of attention? That I got.

Proper sit-down with TW3 or any of the very good, completely unfinished games on my Xbox? Nope, nope, ain't got time for that. It's a pisser.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    so i've been waiting for the new thread because i didn't want this to get lost in the last few pages of the old the one. i want to take some time to talk about Play Anywhere, UWP and how they could give MS the edge in courting indies.

Fallout Shelter released in 2015. announced along with Fallout 4 at that years E3 it was made available immediately on iOS and later Android. a PC version followed by way of Bethesda's own launcher and Steam. and then just a couple of weeks ago it jumped to another platform. an Xbox One version was announced. but it wasn't just that either. as well as making its way to the Xbox the game would also appear on the Windows Store and would be part of MS's Play Anywhere programme, essentially making the two versions one and the same.

now, what does this have to do with indies you ask! Bethesda are a pretty big company, a publisher in their own right. and that 2015 E3 conference marked them taking their place amongst other big 3rd parties like EA, Ubisoft and Activision.

well the point in this case isn't so much the size of the dev as it is their response to the question that followed. "Will Fallout Shelter release on PS4?". this question was essentially met with a shrug.
    Bethesda's Fallout Shelter launched for Xbox One this week. PlayStation fans have wondered if the free game might head to PlayStation 4 sometime later. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't sound likely to happen soon if ever.

Asked by someone on Twitter if Fallout Shelter would come to PS4, Bethesda marketing executive Pete Hines said, "Dunno." He elaborated, saying Bethesda did not build the game specifically for Xbox, but instead as a Universal Windows Platform app, meaning it "supports a variety of [Windows] devices."

In another tweet, Hines said, "Universal Windows app does not include PS4 support."

and here we have the kicker. Fallout Shelter didn't hit Xbox One because Bethesda targeted the platform, but rather because it was easy to put it on there. a PS4 version isn't ruled out, but that will take some work and the decision will need to be weighed more carefully.

and so from there we go to our next example, an actual indie dev too. also announced recently, though still a fair way off from release, is Cellar Door Games next offering Full Metal Furies.

https://youtu.be/n-UdQRjHUTA

their last game, Rogue Legacy, did very well and has appeared on numerous platforms. notably, it saw a release on PS3 and the PS Vita. so we can be sure that a PS4 release of FMF is in the works. but for now there's no mention of it. for now its Xbox, Windows and Steam. and it's Play Anywhere.

i think everyone here is able to accept that the PS4 has out sold the Xbox One by a sizeable margin. so why wasn't the PS4 the console of choice for Cellar Door? well Bethesda already answered that for us. making the game as a UWP app opens up the Xbox as a platform for little extra effort, and since they were going to be releasing on PC anyway why not build the game in a way that opens up a larger consumer base. and that's where MS find their edge.

from here on out they aren't selling Windows and Xbox as two complimentary platforms, they're selling them as one and the same. "Do it this way, and you can have it all". and why wouldn't devs want to do that?

i've been saying it a long time but neither MS or Sony consider PC gaming to be their competition, and with Play Anywhere MS are making that all the more clear. there are some that just play on PC, some that just play on console, but there are also plenty that play on both. and giving that last group the choice to play their games on which ever platform they want, which ever is most convenient at that moment, it's just good business. doing it would forcing them to buy multiple copies is even better(from a consumer perspective at least).

and so MS find themselves with a unique pitch. tap into that console market with little to no extra effort. no restrictions on what other platforms or stores the games can appear on. just the tools needed to make Xbox(and the Windows Store) an obvious first choice.

it's gonna be very interesting seeing how quickly games go from being on PC to Xbox. seeing how many launch on both day and date. seeing how many are part of the Play Anywhere programme going forward. Fallout Shelter got put on Xbox One cause it was easy. Full Metal Furies will launch on PC and Xbox because that combination makes sense. other devs are bound to see that and there's really no easy way for Sony to counter it.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    My problem with the greater and greater connection between my PC and my Xbox One is that now my Xbox is starting to run like a slow, shitty PC. I'm inundated with adds, and apps and tabs I don't care about. Hiding it all doesn't help the constant slowdown at all.

When I hear, 'greater console/pc integration' what comes to mind is, 'your console is gonna run like shit as we cram more and more into this bloated Xbox Home'.

i think that's more of an issue with the way the console was designed, with it's multiple OS's, than it is with the console/PC integration. there's due to be an over haul of the OS over the course of the year leading up to the Scorpio's launch that should help fix a lot of the issues and make the integration between platforms a bit more seamless.

edited March 2017
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    so i've been waiting for the new thread because i didn't want this to get lost in the last few pages of the old the one. i want to take some time to talk about Play Anywhere, UWP and how they could give MS the edge in courting indies.

Fallout Shelter released in 2015. announced along with Fallout 4 at that years E3 it was made available immediately on iOS and later Android. a PC version followed by way of Bethesda's own launcher and Steam. and then just a couple of weeks ago it jumped to another platform. an Xbox One version was announced. but it wasn't just that either. as well as making its way to the Xbox the game would also appear on the Windows Store and would be part of MS's Play Anywhere programme, essentially making the two versions one and the same.

now, what does this have to do with indies you ask! Bethesda are a pretty big company, a publisher in their own right. and that 2015 E3 conference marked them taking their place amongst other big 3rd parties like EA, Ubisoft and Activision.

well the point in this case isn't so much the size of the dev as it is their response to the question that followed. "Will Fallout Shelter release on PS4?". this question was essentially met with a shrug.
    Bethesda's Fallout Shelter launched for Xbox One this week. PlayStation fans have wondered if the free game might head to PlayStation 4 sometime later. Unfortunately for them, it doesn't sound likely to happen soon if ever.

Asked by someone on Twitter if Fallout Shelter would come to PS4, Bethesda marketing executive Pete Hines said, "Dunno." He elaborated, saying Bethesda did not build the game specifically for Xbox, but instead as a Universal Windows Platform app, meaning it "supports a variety of [Windows] devices."

In another tweet, Hines said, "Universal Windows app does not include PS4 support."

and here we have the kicker. Fallout Shelter didn't hit Xbox One because Bethesda targeted the platform, but rather because it was easy to put it on there. a PS4 version isn't ruled out, but that will take some work and the decision will need to be weighed more carefully.

and so from there we go to our next example, an actual indie dev too. also announced recently, though still a fair way off from release, is Cellar Door Games next offering Full Metal Furies.

https://youtu.be/n-UdQRjHUTA

their last game, Rogue Legacy, did very well and has appeared on numerous platforms. notably, it saw a release on PS3 and the PS Vita. so we can be sure that a PS4 release of FMF is in the works. but for now there's no mention of it. for now its Xbox, Windows and Steam. and it's Play Anywhere.

i think everyone here is able to accept that the PS4 has out sold the Xbox One by a sizeable margin. so why wasn't the PS4 the console of choice for Cellar Door? well Bethesda already answered that for us. making the game as a UWP app opens up the Xbox as a platform for little extra effort, and since they were going to be releasing on PC anyway why not build the game in a way that opens up a larger consumer base. and that's where MS find their edge.

from here on out they aren't selling Windows and Xbox as two complimentary platforms, they're selling them as one and the same. "Do it this way, and you can have it all". and why wouldn't devs want to do that?

i've been saying it a long time but neither MS or Sony consider PC gaming to be their competition, and with Play Anywhere MS are making that all the more clear. there are some that just play on PC, some that just play on console, but there are also plenty that play on both. and giving that last group the choice to play their games on which ever platform they want, which ever is most convenient at that moment, it's just good business. doing it would forcing them to buy multiple copies is even better(from a consumer perspective at least).

and so MS find themselves with a unique pitch. tap into that console market with little to no extra effort. no restrictions on what other platforms or stores the games can appear on. just the tools needed to make Xbox(and the Windows Store) an obvious first choice.

it's gonna be very interesting seeing how quickly games go from being on PC to Xbox. seeing how many launch on both day and date. seeing how many are part of the Play Anywhere programme going forward. Fallout Shelter got put on Xbox One cause it was easy. Full Metal Furies will launch on PC and Xbox because that combination makes sense. other devs are bound to see that and there's really no easy way for Sony to counter it.

The biggest problem is here is that Steam is utterly gigantic and the Windows Store is having extreme difficulty finding relevancy on the platform. Back in 2015, I think they said that Rise of the Tomb Raider on the Windows Store had about 2% of PC sales compared to Steam's 98%, and while that number probably has improved, I'm guessing the Windows store is still just a nice perk of games that are already going to be UWP rather than a reason to move to that platform to begin with.

Fallout Shelter is a weird duckling, because it's not available on Steam as well as PS4, despite those basically being to ginormous platforms. If I was more of a fanboy, I might suggest there was some moneyhatting going on, but FS doesn't seem like the type of game you'd want to do that with.

Undead Scottsman on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So... I was going to comment on how we always seem to have some kind of discussion about "ads" every iteration of the xbox console's UI and all, but it seems a really dead horse.

Being that Fallout Shelter is somewhat of a lazy port from what I've read (and it's free so it's nbd), using UWP like that doesn't surprise me. The shift toward the Xbox being a general brand not tied to just their hardware and the UWP is the direction they're going.

Lastly, I preordered Mass Effect: Andromeda today. I don't know why. Maybe in actually playing it the game will wow me? IDK. :T

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I actually don't mind the ads as long as it's something that I'm interested in. I'm also way more in love with how the dash is laid out compared to the crossbar on PS4 which is cumbersome as heck.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Just checked. My XB360 still has way more advertising on it's dash than the XB1.

I really should have gotten rid of it by now. There's only one disc game left, now, in my collection, that's not supported by BC.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Is this Yarny game good? Getting a Braid vibe from it.

It's okay. It's in the EA Vault if you've got a sub for that, can try it there.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I couldn't get in this morning and started freaking out thinking my account got hacked again. But it appears live is just having issues thank god.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Is this Yarny game good? Getting a Braid vibe from it.

It's sweet, the music is charming, it's emotional. The platforming itself is pretty standard.

What is this I don't even.
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Is the Yarny game Unraveled? Aside from the art style, the actual platforming is pretty boring, at least in the demo.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Pretty sure they're up to like...300+ BC titles? (341 if I did this count correctly)

Hmm....suck it, everyone who said they'd lose interest and stop before they hit 200 titles. You know who you are.

I've mentioned in the past thread, but the Major Nelson podcast pointed something interested: the backwards compatibility studio within Microsoft is, literally, the most active publisher in the world today by numbers of titles thanks to their particular mission.

0mcl1jqu5mvz.jpg

The amount of negotiation and deal-making involved is still kind of mind-boggling.

Synthesis on
    Yep, it's Unraveled. And yeah, the music is really good, I thought.

edited March 2017
    Remember that list of games MS had announced durung a presser but weren't released yet? Ion, the third party space sim that was revealed at E3 2015 is no longer being developed.

Also, I was unaware of this, but Microsoft pulled out of publishing Gigantic awhile ago. The Gigantic dev just had some layoffs recently, too.

MS better have some bombshells at this E3.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited March 2017
    Aye, PWE (Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, etc) has been their new dude for a while now.

As in, before the preview launched. The layoffs happened in that interim, unless you're talking about some new layoffs post preview?

tastydonuts on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Damn, that's a bummer

I've been enjoying Gigantic

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Hmm....suck it, everyone who said they'd lose interest and stop before they hit 200 titles. You know who you are.

I've mentioned in the past thread, but the Major Nelson podcast pointed something interested: the backwards compatibility studio within Microsoft is, literally, the most active publisher in the world today by numbers of titles thanks to their particular mission.

0mcl1jqu5mvz.jpg

The amount of negotiation and deal-making involved is still kind of mind-boggling.

Still waiting on a bunch of SEGA/Sonic games I own: Unleashed, Generations, All-Stars Racing, and Ultimate Genesis Collection. I'd just play them on my 360, had it not died. Now I'm forced to consider getting them for the PS3 my brother-in-law gave us instead.

Metal Gear Rising, Bionic Commando, and Bionic Commando Rearmed would be nice, too.

Still trying to find out if native streaming is allowed for Mega Man 9 and 10.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Ah my bad dude I never checked that out, I will when I can

Damn, that's a bummer

I've been enjoying Gigantic

Per the article:
    (Update: Motiga CEO and founder Chris Chung replied to our email shortly after publication. He confirmed that 15 of the studio's 82 employees were laid off today. In his words "Any kind of layoff is tough, but this was done to reduce our burn rate until we get to Arc launch which will happen in a few months." Chung also pointed out that most of the reduction took place on the business and operations side of things, and it won't affect the Arc launch which is currently set for second quarter of this year.)

While it sucks to lose a job, the game itself seems to be healthy.

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So any news on Below ? It's kinda disappeared.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'd like some news on Terraria 2 or Terraria Otherworld from E3, those things are like 2D crack.

Sirialis on
    edited March 2017
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So any news on Below ? It's kinda disappeared.

Capy wisely decided to not talk about Below at all until they have anything meaningful to say about Below:

Instead of giving you a new, loose release window, we will be going dark while we take the time that we need to complete BELOW without compromise. The next time you see a major BELOW update, that means our game has a firm release date, which we’ll share.

Source

tastydonuts on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I'd like some news on Terraria 2 or Terraria Otherworld from E3, those things are like 2D crack.

I love Terraria on PC but I couldn't stand trying to build things with a controller on XB1, which made me sad

Does the XB1 support any kind of KB&M setup?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Cool, thanks Donuts.

I would love a Terraria 2 but yeah, playing with a controller was tricky.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    Steep will be free this weekend and 40% off till March 21st. been curious about this one but haven't been able to bite the bullet on it. think i'll give it a go over the weekend and see how it turned out though.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n27054/play-steep-for-free-this-weekend

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm into that. SSX was super great, so even if this is just alright it'll be worth a weekend.

What is this I don't even.
    Flinthook, a game not unlike Spelunky, hits 4/18
    https://youtu.be/Tep1b7jkfyw

Sadly, like half of the games I'd like to see on BC are games that have or will have remasters (Dead Rising 1 & 2, Bulletstorm, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2, the Transformers Blank for Cybertron games)

I don't mind that, honestly. Most games don't really need a remaster and it's nice to get to keep your saves. I love Bioshock Infinite but not enough to buy it twice. And as far as Activision remakes go, almost all are bad in some way, usually FPS. I don't like giving them money for suck hackjob ports.

I don't mind that, honestly. Most games don't really need a remaster and it's nice to get to keep your saves. I love Bioshock Infinite but not enough to buy it twice. And as far as Activision remakes go, almost all are bad in some way, usually FPS. I don't like giving them money for suck hackjob ports.

Well, I was coming at it from the point of "They're probably not going to make these BC anytime soon, if ever, because it'll eat into the sales of their dumb remasters."

Oh I see, misread that

But yes it does suck that some folks would rather sell us the same game twice than support a free feature

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I like the remakes/remasters personally. Also, it's nice to see bulletstorm get some love since it was kind of ignored when it first came out, and maybe this gives us a hope for a sequel. And those ultimate alliance games are kind of expensive now, aren't they? At least maybe the second one.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
This discussion has been closed.