As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston Weather Forecast for PaxEast

Consti2tionConsti2tion Registered User regular
As the title says, This is the Boston weather forecast for the next 10 days.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMA0046:1:US

Hopefully everybody is prepared!.

Friday ,Saturday and Sunday are going to be Cold as Balls so bring your scarfs. It's going to be a windy one.

• TurQTurQ New York CityRegistered User regular
    Hypothermia is not a myth. Stay safe out there guys. Don't kill your pax weekend by not dressing for the weather. This goes doubly so for my fellow cosplayers out there who prefer to wear their costumes from the hotel to the bcec. Pay the few bucks for the coat check (or bring a bag that you can stuff your clothes in and check that bag)

Make sure you drink enough water, the cold stealthily dehydrates you due to shivering.

Don't leave the bcec without a coat because you "just want to grab a bite to eat". Let's all have fun in a safe way my fellow PAX goers!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    *waits to see people in shorts and tshirt*

I'm probably going to try and attempt a hoodie/scarf for the short walk (Airbnb, basically on the backside of the convention center). I don't want to bring a giant coat with me to the convention itself.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    TurQ wrote: »
    Hypothermia is not a myth. Stay safe out there guys. Don't kill your pax weekend by not dressing for the weather. This goes doubly so for my fellow cosplayers out there who prefer to wear their costumes from the hotel to the bcec. Pay the few bucks for the coat check (or bring a bag that you can stuff your clothes in and check that bag)

Make sure you drink enough water, the cold stealthily dehydrates you due to shivering.

Don't leave the bcec without a coat because you "just want to grab a bite to eat". Let's all have fun in a safe way my fellow PAX goers!

Twitch Prime is sponsoring a free coat check to all TP members. Guess what you get for going to PAX? Free month of Prime.

No excuse not to use it.

• thewoundedholdonthewoundedholdon Registered User new member
    My fiancé will probably be one of the ones in a t-shirt while I'm bundled up. His reasoning will be that he won't want to wait for the coat check, but he won't want to carry around his sweatshirt all day. Shorts don't leave the house unless we're going to the beach, thankfully, so at least he wont be that guy.

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I hate bringing a coat to PAX. Of COURSE it plunges during the weekend haha.

My first PAX in 2013 I brought only a light jacket and it snowed but it wasn't windy. Drat.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    redfield85 wrote: »
    *waits to see people in shorts and tshirt*

I'll see you there! 8-)

12 hours of sweating for 1 hour of warmth? No thanks! (it should be noted that I come with an organic layer of "warmth encapsulation". Skinny folk should be prepared)

jayh0va on
    npyymaqh3gup.png
  • LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

Twitch Prime is sponsoring a free coat check to all TP members. Guess what you get for going to PAX? Free month of Prime.

No excuse not to use it.

Can I get more information about this? Usually my husband and I schlepp a huge suitcase to the BCEC to shove our coats and other stuff in during the day to save money. It's just the two of us and I'll be in my chair this year, so it won't be so easy to drag it along.

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Nice mild march weather this weekend I see. And here a friend was asking if she should bring a sundress up with her to visit! XD

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    Us New Englanders got spoiled by 60 degree weather last week, so 30-40s was inevitable.

I make it a point to look up MBTA alerts for PAX weekend as well. The only one that stuck out as a "heads up" I'll post below.

Per MBTA:

"Due to the Floating Slab Project, buses will replace Red Line trains between Harvard and Alewife Stations in both directions from start to end of service on the following weekends:

- Saturday, March 11, 2017 and Sunday, March 12, 2017

Regular Red Line train service will resume at the start of service on the following Monday.
    All shuttle bus stops are accessible for persons with disabilities.

Shuttling the following stops:
    Alewife
    Davis
    Porter"

Also, friendly reminder Sunday is Daylight Savings. So we will be losing an hour. :bigfrown:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    Us New Englanders got spoiled by 60 degree weather last week, so 30-40s was inevitable.

I make it a point to look up MBTA alerts for PAX weekend as well. The only one that stuck out as a "heads up" I'll post below.

Per MBTA:

"Due to the Floating Slab Project, buses will replace Red Line trains between Harvard and Alewife Stations in both directions from start to end of service on the following weekends:

- Saturday, March 11, 2017 and Sunday, March 12, 2017

Regular Red Line train service will resume at the start of service on the following Monday.
    All shuttle bus stops are accessible for persons with disabilities.

Shuttling the following stops:
    Alewife
    Davis
    Porter"

Also, friendly reminder Sunday is Daylight Savings. So we will be losing an hour. :bigfrown:

Oh thanks for that, I'm always heading out to Harvard for good eats so that's great to know.

• RedK232RedK232 Registered User regular
    Thursday shouldnt be that bad even though its gonna be a tad windy. Fri/Sat are gonna be the worst. Sunday is def gonna be cold but bearable.

xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • AnarCHrisAnarCHris Trash Lord New York CityRegistered User regular
    LedaXI wrote: »

No excuse not to use it.

Can I get more information about this? Usually my husband and I schlepp a huge suitcase to the BCEC to shove our coats and other stuff in during the day to save money. It's just the two of us and I'll be in my chair this year, so it won't be so easy to drag it along.

Check the guidebook app. They mention it under the Twitch Prime section.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    By the way, what will kill you at PAX will be the wind. Bundle up. Seaport gets nasty wind.

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be the dumb idiot who just wears a hoodie and a scarf. It's only a mile walk and I've done it during worse years (remember the year we had a blizzard!?) so I know I can do it without dying. At the very least I can stash my hoodie in my backpack. Not ideal obviously (or intelligent), but it is what it is. At least I can break out my PAX scarf :)

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    edited March 2017
    Yea i dont really wanna wear my coat inside and end up forgetting to grab it cause PAX cons can do that to you make you lost track of time. I will wear a long sleeve shirt under my t-shirt along with hoodie and thick gloves for my hands. The majority of us prob wont be outside for a long period amount of time so as long as we are bundled enough should be fine. Just dont be the guy that wears jeans, t-shirt and a thin hoodie like i did this past weekend up at a convention it was terrible and more windy than its gonna be this time around.

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    RedK232 wrote: »
    Yea i dont really wanna wear my coat inside and end up forgetting to grab it cause PAX cons can do that to you make you lost track of time. I will wear a long sleeve shirt under my t-shirt along with hoodie and thick gloves for my hands. The majority of us prob wont be outside for a long period amount of time so as long as we are bundled enough should be fine. Just dont be the guy that wears jeans, t-shirt and a thin hoodie.

Dang, I was gonna be 'that guy' but I guess I can't anymore

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Kythos wrote: »
    Yea i dont really wanna wear my coat inside and end up forgetting to grab it cause PAX cons can do that to you make you lost track of time. I will wear a long sleeve shirt under my t-shirt along with hoodie and thick gloves for my hands. The majority of us prob wont be outside for a long period amount of time so as long as we are bundled enough should be fine. Just dont be the guy that wears jeans, t-shirt and a thin hoodie.

Dang, I was gonna be 'that guy' but I guess I can't anymore

I mean I'm gonna be "That guy"... I'm not ashamed lol. I can deal with the cold short walk in the morning to be comfortable all day.

P0P7S6y.png
    lol Kythos :p. Im skinny and am underweight the wind affects me more. If its in the mid 30's low 40's with little wind im fine. And it helps that they open the doors earlier than 10am to get people in faster.

xhdr64jir3c2.png
    I have enough stamina now that I'll just paraglide from the hotel to the expo.

.....Sorry. Mind is elsewhere.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    lol Kythos :p. Im skinny and am underweight the wind affects me more. If its in the mid 30's low 40's with little wind im fine. And it helps that they open the doors earlier than 10am to get people in faster.

I'll probably bring my winter coat for when I'm walking around town and whatnot but other than that, jeans, t-shirt, and a hoodie will do. Expo floor will probably get hot with a million bodies moving around

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    miker525 wrote: »
    I'm going to be the dumb idiot who just wears a hoodie and a scarf. It's only a mile walk and I've done it during worse years (remember the year we had a blizzard!?) so I know I can do it without dying. At the very least I can stash my hoodie in my backpack. Not ideal obviously (or intelligent), but it is what it is. At least I can break out my PAX scarf :)
    but can you do it without messing up your leg? <3

• jumblejunkiejumblejunkie Registered User new member
    I just hope we don't run into a situation like we did last year with getting people into the convention center. We waited from 9:30AM to noon out front of the convention center just to get in on Saturday. Plus, there was a line all the way across the bridge to the Seaport! Hopefully its a little more streamline this year.

I remember it being wild like that on Friday, but iirc that was all cleaned up on Saturday. Either way, I agree, I hope that the streamlined version is present.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I remember it being wild like that on Friday, but iirc that was all cleaned up on Saturday. Either way, I agree, I hope that the streamlined version is present.

I remember Friday being a bit silly even though we got there at like 8:30AM meanwhile saturday and sunday were smooth as butter for me. Then again I tend to get there early.

P0P7S6y.png
  • robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    I just hope we don't run into a situation like we did last year with getting people into the convention center. We waited from 9:30AM to noon out front of the convention center just to get in on Saturday. Plus, there was a line all the way across the bridge to the Seaport! Hopefully its a little more streamline this year.

Wow, was it that bad? I was there and I remember security being a cf, but I don't remember it being that bad. I was so early though.

6pq9je4.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    And this is why I mostly stroll in late on Fridays.

I could either wait 3 hours and get in around 10:30, or I can show up at 10:30 and get in by 10:45.

• GanimanGaniman Registered User new member
    I fully expect to see some FFXV Cindy cosplay shivering outside in the cold. While that may be "hot" it's gonna cold out there, so take care of yourselves out there and bundle up. It's not worth suffering or getting sick. I saw the same thing at the last RI Comiccon.... more females than I can count dressed up as Harely Quinn standing outside in the cold. Be smart and be safe, especially if you are not from the area. New England weather is a fickle bitch.

aqhFREo.pngg
  • GanimanGaniman Registered User new member
    robirex wrote: »

Wow, was it that bad? I was there and I remember security being a cf, but I don't remember it being that bad. I was so early though.

No, it was not that bad... I think someone is exaggerating. I was there on Friday and Saturday last year. Saturday's line to get in was not bad at all. I waited outside in line for 20-30 minutes to get in, and arrived just before the doors opened. Most people were inside the building before the main floor even opened up. The lines inside to get to the main floor were worse than the lines outside to get in to the building. If someone waited from 9:30AM to noon to get in to the building, they did something really wrong, because the lines definitely did not take 2.5 hours to get through the doors. Who knows how it will be this year, but the event organizers and security seem to be able to keep the lines moving at a good pace once the doors open. It is not very long after doors open that the lines begin with dwindle.

aqhFREo.pngg
    Ganiman wrote: »
    I fully expect to see some FFXV Cindy cosplay shivering outside in the cold. While that may be "hot" it's gonna cold out there, so take care of yourselves out there and bundle up. It's not worth suffering or getting sick. I saw the same thing at the last RI Comiccon.... more females than I can count dressed up as Harely Quinn standing outside in the cold. Be smart and be safe, especially if you are not from the area. New England weather is a fickle bitch.
    I don't think any of this advice needs to be gender specific. In general, if it's cold by an individual's standards, wear layers.

• divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    Coat check is free, level 0. Twitch is running it this year so I guess they are paying on our behalf.

there's a chance there's going to be more than one coat check. Sometimes it is spread throughout the convention center. If this happens again, make sure you remember where you put your stuff!

Ganiman wrote: »
    robirex wrote: »

No, it was not that bad... I think someone is exaggerating. I was there on Friday and Saturday last year. Saturday's line to get in was not bad at all. I waited outside in line for 20-30 minutes to get in, and arrived just before the doors opened. Most people were inside the building before the main floor even opened up. The lines inside to get to the main floor were worse than the lines outside to get in to the building. If someone waited from 9:30AM to noon to get in to the building, they did something really wrong, because the lines definitely did not take 2.5 hours to get through the doors. Who knows how it will be this year, but the event organizers and security seem to be able to keep the lines moving at a good pace once the doors open. It is not very long after doors open that the lines begin with dwindle.

Not exaggerating! This will be my 8th PAX and last year was by far the worst when it came into getting into the actual convention center. Maybe I hit rush hour right at 10AM. Wish I had pictures of the bridge lined up with people. But rest assure, I will be getting there at 8-8:30 this year to hopefully avoid this.

• PugglesPuggles Registered User regular
    People were waiting in line for no reason last year. People formed massive lines wrapping around the building when half the entrances were empty. I walked right by the lines and straight in at 10AM every morning. Don't just get into a random line.

• robirexrobirex BostonRegistered User regular
    Puggles wrote: »
    People were waiting in line for no reason last year. People formed massive lines wrapping around the building when half the entrances were empty. I walked right by the lines and straight in at 10AM every morning. Don't just get into a random line.

oh lmao, I think I know what is being discussed now. Yeah, no idea why people were waiting in that line. I didn't know it got to the bridge. That's pretty hilarious.

6pq9je4.png
    Not exaggerating! This will be my 8th PAX and last year was by far the worst when it came into getting into the actual convention center. Maybe I hit rush hour right at 10AM. Wish I had pictures of the bridge lined up with people. But rest assure, I will be getting there at 8-8:30 this year to hopefully avoid this.

Strolled in at 10:15 on Sat and Sun, and no. The absolute longest I was outside waiting to get in was 15 minutes tops. Waiting 2.5 hours sounds like an error on those outside and not the checkpoints.

The queue line to get into the Expo Hall on Sat was the worst I've seen since year one. But actually getting into the convention itself? I'm sorry but 2.5 hours is a massive exaggeration.

In past experience, 9am is the sweet spot between the crazies camping out since 7 and the stragglers like my friends still rolling out of bed.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    Friday was the trashcan fire. They had it cleared up on Saturday.

qtjvjrS.png
    MephistoN7 wrote: »

Strolled in at 10:15 on Sat and Sun, and no. The absolute longest I was outside waiting to get in was 15 minutes tops. Waiting 2.5 hours sounds like an error on those outside and not the checkpoints.

The queue line to get into the Expo Hall on Sat was the worst I've seen since year one. But actually getting into the convention itself? I'm sorry but 2.5 hours is a massive exaggeration.

In past experience, 9am is the sweet spot between the crazies camping out since 7 and the stragglers like my friends still rolling out of bed.

LOL! Looks like I need to be more proactive to getting in! Honestly, of the 7 years I've been going, it was really odd how clogged the front was.

edited March 2017
    yea the longest i waited outside with the line doing bag check is like 30 mins tops. With how crappy the weather is gonna be mainly sat im sure security, and us wanna get through the line as quickly as possible.

RedK232 on
    xhdr64jir3c2.png
  • lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    Por qué, weather gods...
    zn0jrrefkx5z.jpg

qtjvjrS.png
  • MijaschiMijaschi Registered User new member
    lauren0rz wrote: »
    Por qué, weather gods...

Compared to how it's been here in Vermont lately, I might just bring my spring jacket.