As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] FFBE Story Event. Spend tons of NRG, get modest amounts of materials.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Tried it twice. Once with a 5 party and once with a six. 5 party made it to 50% and then got paralyzed because Lightning's shock blade didn't count.

Screenshot_20170309_093833.png

These are all my six star units. Any suggestions?

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Adding another element kinda messes me up, since I don't have a second DW. Means I'll have to use Rain to cover three elements with Lava Floor which means I have to bring a Noctis friend for MP recovery. That or say screw it to no items or 5 man party and do whichever one I don't finish at a later time.

Other than that, how's the damage? If Gilgamesh can't use his elemental moves, how much damage can he throw out? I'm sure Luka can handle it with Cecil backup

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Here's what I was gonna try, and it looks like you could do similar:

Chizuru - Fire/Wind katanas with Watera Blade for easy spamable coverage for three elements.

Refia - Healing stuff with golem staff + blackbelt for some incidental earth coverage (not really a high priority)

Ling - Sustain + MAG breaks

Cecil - Tanking, buffs

CoD - Healing staff for Light element

Friend unit - someone with Lightning hybrid/magic (whale friend Noctis most likely)

If I wanna try to 5 unit run I think I'll throw blackbelt + Rune Blade on Cecil for my light coverage and replace CoD with Exdeath for Lightning coverage. All of this will take just a little bit longer since I want to finish off my second dual-wield and probably finally grab dualcast for Refia.

• BlehBlehAmigaBlehBlehAmiga Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Tried it twice. Once with a 5 party and once with a six. 5 party made it to 50% and then got paralyzed because Lightning's shock blade didn't count.

How many dual wields/dual casts do you have if any? The thunder has to be magical or hybrid.

ffbe ign: Kas
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah jeeze fuck this Greg fight. It's a slog from hell.

I think by turn 40 or 50 I just kinda ran out of steam of actually caring for an okay Katana as a reward. I'll probably do this event in 6 months or something.

Wait, in order to stop the new elemental attack they added it has to be magic or hybrid damage? So Lava Floor, or other physical based skills, with a Lightning element weapon wouldn't work to stop it?

Every other element he has can just be stopped by the matching element, right? Doesn't matter what damage type it is? Seems a bit counter intuitive to have it work differently than the rest of the fight.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Got Gilgamesh down 2nd try with my 5 man party attempt. Took Olive friend for the 1st attempt, which was a mistake, plus I triggered his 50% threshold at a really bad time. Second time, brought friend Noctis which went much, obviously, smoother. Forgot to kill him with a Limit Break and used 3 Elixirs, 2 Mega Ethers, but I can attempt those with a full 6 man party. Final setup was:

Bartz (Mercedes' Axe) - Sealed Wind & Water every turn.
    Cecil (Jeweled Ring, which, honestly is his default setup) - Did Cecil things. I had put Barstonra on him, but never had an opportunity to cast it, so I'll be removing that in the future.
    Noctis (Excalibur & Death Scythe) - Mostly cast Fire Flask. At the start, cast Cover to manage mana until the thresholds kicked in and I couldn't afford to do that. Occasionally Revived Cecil so Refia could double-heal instead of wasting an action.
    Refia (Dualcast & Camouflage) - Did Dualcast Refia things.
    Friend Noctis (no elemental weapons, 830 ATK) - Mostly cast Thunder Flask.

When I could seal all of his elements, everything went really smoothly. All of the bumps in the fight come with dealing with Thresholds and having elemental attack seep through while you recover. I'm super fucking glad I TM farmed Mercedes' Axe though, since Bartz being able to seal Wind & Water every single turn was fantastic.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2017
    Zomro wrote: »
    Wait, in order to stop the new elemental attack they added it has to be magic or hybrid damage? So Lava Floor, or other physical based skills, with a Lightning element weapon wouldn't work to stop it?

Every other element he has can just be stopped by the matching element, right? Doesn't matter what damage type it is? Seems a bit counter intuitive to have it work differently than the rest of the fight.

It's suspected that it's not intended and might get changed to include physical as well, but for now it doesn't. You could use a lightning weapon if the user is attacking with a hybrid attack though. Like coral sword and using watera blade (or bartz's hybrid thing), or similar.

BlehBlehAmiga on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm about 95% I can handle Gilgamesh, but I really don't want to endure the 10 minutes of setup, 15 minutes of headache dealing with the fight itself, and then another 5 minutes of restoring everything to how it's supposed to be... and that's assuming I can get it all in one go. Bleh. Someone make a "plug in the TMRs/characters you have, and spit out the best setup/strategy" thing.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    Zomro wrote: »

It's suspected that it's not intended and might get changed to include physical as well, but for now it doesn't. You could use a lightning weapon if the user is attacking with a hybrid attack though. Like coral sword and using watera blade (or bartz's hybrid thing), or similar.

I thought it might be, too. I'll wait and see if they fix / adjust it. I'm in no rush to do it, it'll be there when I feel like doing it. Pretty much what I've done with every trial since Antonella, just waited to do it since they tend to kick my ass the first time around.

I'll just focus on getting my TMs farmed for now. Excalibur will be done tonight or tomorrow at 98.7%, and Chizuru and Leo hit over 90% yesterday. Miyuki and Maxwell are pulling up the rear right under 90%.

How many dual wields/dual casts do you have if any? The thunder has to be magical or hybrid.

My TMRs:
    Sakurafubuki
    Dual Wield x2
    Dual Cast
    Bracer
    Blade Mastery
    Save the Queen
    Power of Creation

Less than 10% away from Blade Mastery #2 and Mana Blade.

http://exvius.gamepedia.com/Gilgamesh's_Offensive

This says Light, but is it Lightning?

edited March 2017
    urahonky wrote: »

Refresh maybe? Lightning needing sealing is new for Global (so wasn't on there yesterday), and it doesn't act completely the same as the other elements. That's in addition to light.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
    edited March 2017

My TMRs:
    Sakurafubuki
    Dual Wield x2
    Dual Cast
    Bracer
    Blade Mastery
    Save the Queen
    Power of Creation

Less than 10% away from Blade Mastery #2 and Mana Blade.

Maybe something like this, doesn't even need a dual wield.

Cecil - golem for provoke/earth resist. maybe rune blade for backup holy? Always provokes, then defend/heal/dispel/whatever is needed. Could include barstone for more earth resist if really needed. Or could use lightning weapon and earth hybrid blade to cover lighning/earth when Noctis jumps for mana.

Refia - dual cast, ramuh for backup lightning & holy & osmose if needed.

Lightning - Water(trident)/Fire(weapon)/Wind(strike or blitz).

Friend Noctis - diablos/excal/maneater. Thunder flask under 50%, but should be able to still cover or jump for mana with coverage from others. Just time the jump after a provoke so cecil can attack both turnsif needed. Ideally after a mag break hit too. A ring of lucii on him wouldn't be too bad for a little extra mana from occasional counters. I could set one up later if you need. Could even use some warp breaks for better damage if you get cecil to cover lightning after he's provoked.

Ling - Full defense/hp gear and use breaks/mp regen/raise/etc. Carbuncle to help out with cura if Refia has to dual cast a holy/lightning. Carbuncle also has banish, so she could cover Holy so Cecil could curaja. Entrust to Noctis.

Come to think of it, if Ling covers a backup holy, Cecil could use a lightning weapon and crafted hybrid ability to cover Lightning. Maybe the earth blade just to have it on those turns.

---
    Take it slow and steady and try to either have Golem up for the thresholds, or Cecil/Noctis' LB (or even Focus). Noctis could use his LB before the threshold since you don't need to cover elements on that turn. I used it after but you might not be able to get away with casting thundara for Refia on that turn.

The party shouldn't need a lot of MP other than Noctis, who can jump back to full if he's on Diablos. Just time it so it's not near a threshold.

After a threshold, Refia probably needs dual cast curaja unless you had Golem up. Ling res first. Lightning/Noctis still cover the elements.

BlehBlehAmiga on
    I feel like it's partially luck based with the threshold. If he instakills the wrong person it can break your rhythm. I'll give that a shot later, having to get ready for work.

ArcTangent wrote: »

Refresh maybe? Lightning needing sealing is new for Global (so wasn't on there yesterday), and it doesn't act completely the same as the other elements. That's in addition to light.

Son of a dick. I had to CTRL + F5 to get the changes.

I feel like it's partially luck based with the threshold. If he instakills the wrong person it can break your rhythm. I'll give that a shot later, having to get ready for work.

Yeah one other plus about wkn (or snow) is a lot closer to 100% on taking the deaths. A death on Lightning or Noctis would be a little harder to recover from, but can either play the odds and redo it if that happens and shit hits the fan, or come up with a plan to at least cover fire/wind.

I have a Snow, unleveled. Is it worth it for this?

edited March 2017
    Worth it is debatable, but probably not. He can pretty much eliminate the chance of someone else eating the death. Otherwise can't heal, but could spot cover water or some element with counter and an elemental knuckle/dagger. You should be able to do it with Cecil and you could attempt it a whole bunch of times for the energy and materials needed to level him up from 4* to 100.

2 tanks wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though.

Friend Noctis (still lightning mostly)
    Snow to eat all single targets/death
    Cecil (some coverage/healing)
    Refia
    Lightning/Bartz for 3x elemental coverage

Seems like that would be pretty stable.

BlehBlehAmiga on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Anyone with Draw Attacks helps, because some of his elemental attacks and many of his normal attacks are single target and will hit just that person. So, Snow, using Provoke, will take almost all of the hits except for X-Slash, and then you can Full Raise him. At six star, though, there's only Snow who is still in the summon pool.

I was able to complete it during my lunchbreak. My team:

Noctis: DW Excal, Fire lance (Cover, Thunder Flask primarily)
    Gilgamesh: DW Golem's Staff, Trident (water) (attacking)
    Queen: DW Excal, Survival Edges (wind) (Support, flinchproof martyr & provoke at the threshholds)
    Olive: Candy Gun (attacking)
    Refia: Dualcast, on Ramuh (Osmose/Thunder) (being Refia, sealing thunder)

I had a full kit of elemental blade abilities on pretty much everyone, to fill in the potential gaps. However, I didn't need to use them much (still, when I DID need to use them, it was very helpful!). Gilgamesh had Fire Blade and Olive had Aero Blade, and I otherwise had plenty of Earth and Water blades but I ended up not using any of them because my own Gilgamesh didn't die, and attacked every turn. Most of my turns boiled down to my Greg using Wind Slash and Olive using Flash Grenade. Also, I made a little spreadsheet so that every turn I was able to see who was available to hit the elements -- very helpful!

By far the trickiest thing is getting the thresholds to trigger when you expect them to go, and realizing that you CAN'T STOP! If I had the ability to guard or take a breather to recoup, heal, restore, rebuff, whatever, it would have been much easier, but doing so is basically a death sentence.

Having the ability to fire off two Curajas from different sources is VERY helpful. Yes, I realize my team has 4 five star base units, but the attacking power is really NOT the key part. Here's what I found important:
    • High HP (as close, or over, 5k as possible)
    • Golem/Tank unit (for Provoke or Drawing attacks)
    • 2 units with Curaja
    • 2 units with Raise/Full Raise
    • Ability to cast or hybrid dmg Thunder
    • Ability to seal all other 5 elements via phys attacks (generally the most MP friendly)

I was not doing much damage each turn. But, I stayed alive! I think a unit like Marie/Cerius/DC Healer with Carbuncle could come in handy to cover some of the elements, since having (for example) an earth-buff basically nullifies his Earth attack (and he swaps out another attack, meaning it's essentially one attack that would do nothing). Odin as an esper is also useful primarily for Fingersnap, as well -- hits for the units elements and dispels his def buffs.

I think there are multiple ways to approach the battle. What a lot of people suggest is to just plan to do it multiple times to try to get all the rewards.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Damnit, despite getting Gilgamesh down including a limit burst apparently something else hit after it finished and it didn't count.

now I have to redo it for the moogle....

atleast this time I can use a companion.

Good God I am often reminded how much of a bitch I am in this game when I read your guys' responses on these hard events. You were able to get him down with a team of 5??? Jesus.

I'm thinking...

Cecil: Provoke, cover/counter-bot with Golem Staff and Trident, backup healing (Earth/Water)
    Refia: DC Heal-bot/dispel-a-tron
    Luneth: Kazekiri and Vernard (Wind and Fire)
    Noctis: Excal and Kazekiri -> Thunder Flasking (Light, Wind, Lightning) (can also Warp Break if Refia has spare turns to cover Lightning)
    Friend Noctis

Assuming I can find a Noct with Excal (should be real hard), everything's double covered but earth and water, although I may be relying on Thunder Flask and Fire Flask for some of that if things go pear shaped. Earth and Water are supposedly the least threatening things though, so they could slip through.

Tell me what I've missed or is going to cause problems here.

ztrEPtD.gif
    To be fair, he is by far the most difficult boss in the game so far. Future units and equipment will make him easier. The only reason I attempted it today was because I'm pretty much just TMR farming and I felt that I had some good units. He wiped me the first time I tried because I crossed the 80% threshold unprepared. Second time, I had no real trouble, but below 30% he adds an extra attack and my units were often down pretty far.

If you can seal his attacks and heal up, he's not THAT hard. But he's much easier if you have high DEF units with solid HP. For example, my own Gilgamesh is over 5500 HP thanks to pots, and he never died (but was down to 1k hp at one point). Olive, who does not have as much DEF, was taking on twice the damage and died about 5 times.

I put Camouflage on my Refia (thanks friend points!) which, I think, helped. Stupid me was being conservative towards the end and completely forgot that my Refia could Osmose!

ArcTangent wrote: »
    I'm thinking...

Cecil: Provoke, cover/counter-bot with Golem Staff and Trident, backup healing (Earth/Water)
    Refia: DC Heal-bot/dispel-a-tron
    Luneth: Kazekiri and Vernard (Wind and Fire)
    Noctis: Excal and Kazekiri -> Thunder Flasking (Light, Wind, Lightning) (can also Warp Break if Refia has spare turns to cover Lightning)
    Friend Noctis

Assuming I can find a Noct with Excal (should be real hard), everything's double covered but earth and water, although I may be relying on Thunder Flask and Fire Flask for some of that if things go pear shaped. Earth and Water are supposedly the least threatening things though, so they could slip through.

Tell me what I've missed or is going to cause problems here.

Cecil can't equip the Golem's Staf unless you have Equip Staff materia. But, like you mentioned, it's not super important to seal Earth. You could also just throw Barstonra on Cecil to use on turns where he doesn't need to heal/Provoke/Focus. Otherwise looks like a solid set of units.

Good God I am often reminded how much of a bitch I am in this game when I read your guys' responses on these hard events. You were able to get him down with a team of 5??? Jesus.

well, I almost didn't make it with Cecil, Refia, Lightningx2 and Noctis due to noctis almost running out of mana at about 40%... until I used lance on Gilgamesh and regained all of noctis' mana. That and a paralyze on cecil right after 50% put a lot of strain on my team. I had Light, fire, Lightning, water, and wind covered for most of the fight with weapons and skills but when noctis or cecil had to do anything else, I would get hit with something.

Ah I'm just being a child. I just don't really have any good melee units. I went in with:

Ling/Cecil/Chiz/Randi/Refia

But lost at about 50%. But that's because I didn't see that they added Lightning to the list of things to seal so I got paralyzed right and screwed.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Incidentally, I have my Noctis setup with Chirijaden & Excalibur in case anyone needs a tri-sealing friend unit. @ArcTangent

I don't have Blade Mastery, because it doesn't exist, but he's still sitting at 720 ATK with Diabolos thanks to a pair of +30% ATK materia.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    I'd suggest going in with 6 units to at least finish it once -- the Moogle is relatively easy to get (you're not blasting him away at the end, and you should have a LB built up by the time he's killed) -- and then you at least get the katana.

If you can do it w/o items too, awesome! And hey, if you need to wait a while to eventually get the +30% attack, that's not so bad! Trying once or twice is still faster than grinding out an +30% TMR

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Adding a hybrid thunder attack is Gumi punishing me for deleting the dozens upon dozens of Bediles I've gotten.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Adding a hybrid thunder attack is Gumi punishing me for deleting the dozens upon dozens of Bediles I've gotten.

Noctis thunder flask is hybrid.

Hrm...looks like Randi will be a great unit to use for the trial. Give him Vernard (Fire), Coral sword (Lightning) and use Aero blade (Wind) to cover all of those high priorities at once. He's also a bit tankier than Chizuru, which I'm thankful for. So, looks like the new lineup is:

Randi: Fire/Lightning/Wind
    Cecil: Tanking/Trident for Water/barstonra to ignore earth
    Refia: Healing
    Ling: Sustain/debuff
    CoD: Healing staff for Light, thorned mace + diabolos + man eater materia for damage.

I'll still need to grind out that last ~5% on my second dualwield before I can do this, but it looks pretty solid.

Yeah I'm gonna hold off on it for now. I need to remind myself that it's not a "DO IT NOW" situation where it's going away permanently.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of wondering if bringing CoD in instead of Rain for my 5th member wouldn't be a better idea.

I would be using
    Lightning - Excalibur/Chirjarden with Windstrike for Light/Fire/Wind coverage
    Cecil - Tanking with Trident and Black Belt for counter/water coverage
    Refia - Healing/Dispel
    Ling - Sustain/Debuff
    CoD - Golem Staff and Thorned Mace for dmg/earth coverage.

I assume having a Noctis to cover Thunder with Thunder Flask would cover all of my elements then. Lightning would have tri coverage with CoD and Cecil covering the other two?

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Stupid Double Post.

Cirira on
    Ok, Gilgamesh complete. 2 noctii make it much easier. I think the most important thing for the trial is to have at least 2 full revive units because no matter how tanky your tank is, he will die and if you are ever stuck doing a phoenix down + elixir combo you may lose control of one element which leads to more people dying making it harder to recover. the entire thing relys on mana regen and recovering from KOs

How many second tier spell blades are there?

Awesome. Couldn't even tell you what happened. Hit 30% threshhold, started his dumbass combo thing, entire thing lagged/froze up, and then everybody but Refia and one Noctis was dead.

A++ great fight.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Also I used demonic life on my WKN, that materia from an event a while back that's 40% atk/mag/def/spr if under whatever percent health. Pretty much a permanent buff especially after using a non full life raise after thresholds.

This discussion has been closed.