As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Age and WoW! Mutually exclusive?

evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
A study done in 2006 showed that the average male wow player was 28 years of age.
i was wondering if that was still the same and I hereby ask you mighty PA gamers:

How old are ye, wow-gamer?

I'm 24, btw..

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
evilthecat on

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm 17, and the average age of people I've met while playing WoW was about 16-22. It's actually pretty rare to meet people over those ages on my server, which is probably why I dislike it so much.

Tav on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm 18 and on my server there is a mix between old and young.

I knew a 60 year old dude who played in my guild and I've also encountered people who were only 10.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    in ur base, killing ur statistics....

My father is 51 years old
    A German magazine had an interview with a 81 years old WoW player

*edit~I don't play, childish game. :P

Aldo on
  • AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Our smallish (15 active) guild averages late 20s, early 30s. Several of our members are older than 35.

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I played 27-28, our guild was mainly made up of people in their mid 20s-late 30s, with a couple here and there younger or older. Pregnant women raiding while talking about giving birth was an eye opener.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There is an EE professor at my University that plays WoW, played Everquest to apparently. He is in his late 70s I believe, quite an odd fellow. I play and I'm 22 so I guess I fall into the right range?

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    24 here, most people in my guild are older than me.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 26. I think there is only one person in my guild younger than 18. We've had a bad history with younger guildies.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    32 here and I know a 38 year old that played a shadowpriest(he has switched to a lock for pvp). He was so good that when he couldn't make raids, he would get phonecalls from across Europe begging him to log on.

Needless to say, I use him ruthlessly for advice on my new Shadowpriest Alt.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 26. I think there is only one person in my guild younger than 18. We've had a bad history with younger guildies.
    We had a young hunter who had to raid under the sheets, he had to take his laptop with him in bed and pretend to be a sleep in order to play past 10 in the evening. :P

Aldo on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm 26. Female though. I'd say most of the males in my guild are college age, like 19-23. A couple older, a couple real teenagers. The women are usually slightly older on average.

riz on
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, we have a lot of couples in our guild too. Our guild leader is a woman as well. Both her and her husband play.

Getting my wife into the game is one of the greatest things I could do for our marrige :P

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    29. But I'm not in any guilds, nor do I really interact with anyone else, so I'm not sure if it matters.

Murphy on
  • CharusCharus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    26 and male here, so right about average. Yay mediocrity!

Charus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    25. My guild was probably 60% 24 or 25 and up, a few past 30, and then a little cluster around 18-20 I think.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm 18, most of my guild's members range from 16-mid20s. With two 60+ thrown in there.

Arrath on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The few really old players could really throw it off. I'd guess the average age of almost any MMO is college age, 18-24, but the youngest players at 15 or so will only be a few years off of that. One 60 year old with a bunch of 20s could give you a 30ish average.

Scooter on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 18 and just recently got my 42 year old father into it

I can't play anymore because he's always on

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited December 2007
    The average age of my guild is somewhere between 28 and 34.

Unknown User on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 31 I have met tons of people who are about in the 15-24 age range. There are a few people who are older than that but they are a minority overall. Some of the people I know of that are older than me that play are a guy who plays a resto now feral durid in his 50's and the mother of two childern who play is about 37 or so

Brainleech on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Rule number one of WoW: Never introduce family members to it unless you have a second computer.

Dhalphir on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 20.

The Karazhan raid I was doing this week with my mage was with a guild of people who knew each other in real life. They were all 30+. There were two married couples in the raid, playing together. Some others talked about their family. One was late to the raid since he was watching his daughter's play.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shut up, real people don't play MMOs.

I'm 24. Most of my raid group is in their mid 20s, it seems. Although our RL is a 'real' adult, and is always going afk to deal with his kids or some such.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am 36, most of my guild are anywhere from 27 on up..the oldest person we have is my best friends dad who is 56.

omega71 on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I've played with guys as old as 65 on World of Warcraft.

Based on my play I'd say that the median age of a WoW player is around 24.

Jasconius on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    22 here, my guild is a mix of mostly college students and then a few guys in their late 20s, and quite a few in their 30s. A handful are in their late 40s.

tehmarken on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    31 and in a guild with people age 12-45+. Mid-twenties are most common, though.

Halfmex on
  • SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the Beasts are pretty young as far as guild age goes. We have a bunch of people in the mid or early 20s and quite a few people who are still teenagers. No one over 27 though, I think. I'm mocked for my old-man status and I just turned 25 :P

SabinXL on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SabinXL wrote: »
    I think the Beasts are pretty young as far as guild age goes. We have a bunch of people in the mid or early 20s and quite a few people who are still teenagers. No one over 27 though, I think. I'm mocked for my old-man status and I just turned 25 :P

:|

Actually, it makes sense, what with the beasts being those types.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SabinXL wrote: »

I'm 27.

Wavechaser on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm 27, and will be 28 in March. (And I'm male, but I've been that way all my life)

I've met some in their early teens that played, but most of the people I know are in their late teen's, 20's or 30's.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    30, my wife, 27 (she plays also).

Bigity on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

:lol:

riz on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In my guild, we have mostly older players. Maybe a couple of teenagers, but mostly 20->grandmother age (don't know how old, exactly >>)

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    edited December 2007
    I noticed a long time ago, but my wifes voice sounds so much sexier on vent for some reason. I am not sure if the way vent works does this to all voices or if it is just my inner geek going, "r u a gurl?"

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, I guess I am exactly average. So it goes.

I wonder if that survey calculated average age, or median age? And I wonder what data set the used to base their data on? Did they collect our birthdays when we signed up? I don't remember, offhand.

dojango on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    20. (I wouldn't have put the full stop there, but I'm not allowed to make two-character posts, apparently. QQ)

exis on
  • WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Twenty?

Wavechaser on
  • zagizagi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm 29 - female though, boyfriend is 27. Boyfriend played first, brought me into it. w00t for shared addictions.

zagi on