As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    It is the phase used when going from a staggered setup, which is the rear and front wheels/tires are a different size, to a setup where all four wheels and tires are the same size. (square)

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I know.
    Was joke.
    Great joke, IMO.

• Options
    Lol, I had considered the possibility, but hey, there was a time I didn't know what it meant, so, eh.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/

This is where I go for most of my questions like that. At the moment I'm deliberating on whether or not to square up my wheels and tires or not. Definitely not using the Pirellis again, those things suck so much. If it's cheaper over the long run to square up and be able to rotate, or just change rears out twice as often as the front, either way I'm going to Michelin.

I stumbled across that site and was skimming some threads as well -- any tire choices that seem popular? I just rocked Hankook ventus v12s on my GTI.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

This is where I go for most of my questions like that. At the moment I'm deliberating on whether or not to square up my wheels and tires or not. Definitely not using the Pirellis again, those things suck so much. If it's cheaper over the long run to square up and be able to rotate, or just change rears out twice as often as the front, either way I'm going to Michelin.

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s on my Impreza that have excellent grip in the snow (And I live in Yellowknife, so I get lots of time on bad roads to test them!), and were pretty amazing in the summer. I accidentally tested the hell out of their grip by leaving cruise control on during a series of turns while driving through the mountains. I was doing 110 kph, the sign said 80 for the corner, so I left cruise control on, and then there was a corner right after the first that was FAR too sharp for 110 and even though I felt like I was being pulled out of the driver's seat by the g force, the tires never even made a sound. Just totally neutral through the corner.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Michelin Pilot's and Super Sports seem the general consensus as "best" at the moment. I had Pilot A/S 3s on my last Mustang and they were pretty awesome. Nitto gets love if you're looking for a drag radial. Continental and Falken have their advocates as well. I've seen Hankook mentioned, but as I already knew what tires I was looking at, I was more interested in the rims and making sure they fit around the brakes.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

I was doing 110 kph, the sign said 80 for the corner, so I left cruise control on, and then there was a corner right after the first that was FAR too sharp for 110 and even though I felt like I was being pulled out of the driver's seat by the g force, the tires never even made a sound. Just totally neutral through the corner.

[muffled eurobeat playing in the distance]

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I picked up a set of Conti ExtremeContact DW's for the Vette, they're on clearance since Conti is introducing a replacement very soon. As a bang/buck summer-only tire it should do really well.

Edit for clarifications, Conti DW, not DWS, which are all seasons and not summer tires.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Second the Conti ExtremeContact DW for Summer tires. They were perfect on my Subaru Legacy GT.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoHbn8-ROiQ

Two things I take away from this video. 1, the Hilux is terrible at cornering. 2, I'd vote Trump if he said he'd end the chicken tax on light trucks because I'd buy every truck in that video if they'd just sell them in the US. Minus the Hilux of course.

Sigh...I'm still going to buy another tacoma over the rest of those trucks.

Love my Taco more and more every day.

My family has started to tell me I should get a new car. I'm like, "my tacoma is fine! it doesn't even have off color replacement panels yet!"

Some people just don't get it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    I think the writing was on the wall for diesel cars when DPFs (diesel particulate filters) became a thing.

They're a really kludgy solution to the particulate issue and have given rise to all kinds of (expensive) problems, to the point that the standard advice is to avoid buying second hand cars that are fitted with them, and a cottage industry has popped up concerned with removing them.

Three weeks ago I bought a seven year old DPF equipped car - a Jaguar XF with the 3.0 V6 turbo diesel. It's awesome but, funnily enough, this is the first time I've seen this "standard advice"; but I'm not saying you're wrong, because also, the DPF is indeed something that nags at the back of my brain. To be honest, given what the majority of my driving consists of these days, I probably made a mistake getting a diesel in the first place. (It's my first diesel; the low tax, high-ish mpg and high torque figures were just too seductive and, thankfully, so far it's delivering handily on all three.)

The DPF on the XF is a regenerating type, but the car only triggers the regeneration automatically; the driver can't force it to. I've read and re-read the instruction in the manual for how to do it should the "DPF full" warning come up on the dash (basically, warm up the engine through driving it rather than idling, and go on a constant-speed cruise at between 45 and 70mph, preferably with the cruise control on), but it hasn't done so yet. Early days still, though.

I'm hoping I won't have to eat a replacement DPF in the next while, but I guess we shall see.

Enjoying it for the moment, though, it's a pretty awesome car. :)Sorry I haven't got a decent pic handy, I'll try and rectify that!
    2wlst6v9ufde.jpg

Interesting

When I was looking (which was a couple of years ago) all I seemed to find was advice to avoid DPF vehicles if buying diesel.

It could be to do with the fact that even then non-DPF diesels were thin on the ground, and any still available will be north of ten years old, so it's correspondingly unlikely that it's even an option for someone looking at buying a used diesel now. It could be to do with the fact that anyone who's had a problem is likely to be vocal about it, given that DPF replacement is typically the thick end of a grand.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Guys, I think there is something wrong with me. I'm actually a little excited going minivan shopping with my wife. We are going to replace her 2005 Civic and the 1986 Toyota pickup with a 2014ish Honda Odyssey. We need something that can still carry lots of bulky stuff around for my wife's art shows and will be useful for future children. Its kind of nice looking at buying a car that is less than a decade+ old. The Odyssey can fit a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood laying flat and the back door will still close. The '86 pickup doesn't even do that; it sticks out by a few inches.

But fuck the dvd/tv system in the back. Damn kids will learn to read a book or be bored!
    oldManYellsAtCloud.jpg
    But I'm still going to be driving my '01 Subaru 2.5rs ;)

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I think the writing was on the wall for diesel cars when DPFs (diesel particulate filters) became a thing.

They're a really kludgy solution to the particulate issue and have given rise to all kinds of (expensive) problems, to the point that the standard advice is to avoid buying second hand cars that are fitted with them, and a cottage industry has popped up concerned with removing them.

Three weeks ago I bought a seven year old DPF equipped car - a Jaguar XF with the 3.0 V6 turbo diesel. It's awesome but, funnily enough, this is the first time I've seen this "standard advice"; but I'm not saying you're wrong, because also, the DPF is indeed something that nags at the back of my brain. To be honest, given what the majority of my driving consists of these days, I probably made a mistake getting a diesel in the first place. (It's my first diesel; the low tax, high-ish mpg and high torque figures were just too seductive and, thankfully, so far it's delivering handily on all three.)

The DPF on the XF is a regenerating type, but the car only triggers the regeneration automatically; the driver can't force it to. I've read and re-read the instruction in the manual for how to do it should the "DPF full" warning come up on the dash (basically, warm up the engine through driving it rather than idling, and go on a constant-speed cruise at between 45 and 70mph, preferably with the cruise control on), but it hasn't done so yet. Early days still, though.

I'm hoping I won't have to eat a replacement DPF in the next while, but I guess we shall see.

Enjoying it for the moment, though, it's a pretty awesome car. :)Sorry I haven't got a decent pic handy, I'll try and rectify that!
    2wlst6v9ufde.jpg

Interesting

When I was looking (which was a couple of years ago) all I seemed to find was advice to avoid DPF vehicles if buying diesel.

It could be to do with the fact that even then non-DPF diesels were thin on the ground, and any still available will be north of ten years old, so it's correspondingly unlikely that it's even an option for someone looking at buying a used diesel now. It could be to do with the fact that anyone who's had a problem is likely to be vocal about it, given that DPF replacement is typically the thick end of a grand.

Yeah, for the XF specifically I've seen numbers from £800 to £1100 mentioned. So avoiding that if possible is definitely something I'd like to do!

It's entirely likely you're spot on about the advice being common and I just missed it. Wouldn't be the first time!

• Options
    Finally got a couple of decent pictures of my XF. :)
    2of6p3u2v5t3.jpg

0t4iqugopn2n.jpg

• Options
    Siiiiiick

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I do like the look of the XF.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Guys, I think there is something wrong with me. I'm actually a little excited going minivan shopping with my wife. We are going to replace her 2005 Civic and the 1986 Toyota pickup with a 2014ish Honda Odyssey. We need something that can still carry lots of bulky stuff around for my wife's art shows and will be useful for future children. Its kind of nice looking at buying a car that is less than a decade+ old. The Odyssey can fit a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood laying flat and the back door will still close. The '86 pickup doesn't even do that; it sticks out by a few inches.

But fuck the dvd/tv system in the back. Damn kids will learn to read a book or be bored!
    oldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Seriously the new high end mini vans are the bee's knees. Not every car has to be a sports car. For cool tech and a plush ride its hard to beat the new vans. Plus: Honda.

• Options

oldManYellsAtCloud.jpg

Let me tell you, there are times you are going to want to kiss the dashboard and sing hallelujah for that DVD player. I had to explain to an inconsolable 2 year old why we had just driven an hour to the wrong place and she wouldn't be able to see her (10 year old) aunt tonight after all. Watching Scooby Doo on the way back helped a lot.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I am reflexively wary of Jag XFs because I used to use the M6 a lot, which are the central motorway police group cruising grounds

yGYmL4H.jpg

japan on
  • Options
    That looks like an extra light or something on the front bumper, just in front of the wheel and below the indicator. Not much of a giveaway, but it's there.

They make sense for that job, though. Well, at least as much as the usual BMWs they use around here.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh damn, have I missed the tyre talk?

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 3s!!

Haven't tried the new 4s yet, but will when the 3s currently on the car eventually wear out.

• Options
    Holy shit, we're all using Michelin Pilot Sport tires!

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ugh. I was having a grumpy night last night and then I watched someone parallel park into the front bumper of my Subie. :?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    CommunistCow, :bro:

My wife's Forester is a fender-bender magnet. She's had the car for about a year now and the back bumper has been replaced twice. Once by a guy at a highway exit who wasn't paying attention (she was stopped at the light at the end of the exit ramp) and once by an acquaintance who forgot to set her parking brake on a hill and rolled into the back of Mrs m!ttens's car while neither of them were in their vehicles.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I got a 16 Odyssey recently- it's rad. Didn't get the DVD as it's 3k which buys a lot of tablets and movies. Such a useful vehicle. Just used it to cart 6 big dudes to pax East and everyone was comfy.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    CommunistCow, :bro:

My wife's Forester is a fender-bender magnet. She's had the car for about a year now and the back bumper has been replaced twice. Once by a guy at a highway exit who wasn't paying attention (she was stopped at the light at the end of the exit ramp) and once by an acquaintance who forgot to set her parking brake on a hill and rolled into the back of Mrs m!ttens's car while neither of them were in their vehicles.

I got into one minor fender bender in all the years I'd owned used cars. Six months after I bought my first new car (An Impreza), it was totalled in an accident. Six months after I bought it's replacement (Another Impreza), some lady driving a Mercedes backed into a parked truck so hard, the truck was driven into my parked car, which was driven into the parked truck behind my car.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Yeah my previous car must've had a fucking target painted on it that I didn't notice. Midnight blue Saab 9-2x and I was in 3 accidents in 8 months, none of which were my fault.
    1. Backed into at a stop light
    2. T-boned by some idiot cutting into my lane from a right turn
    3. rear-ended at a stop light

The last one resulted in a whiplash injury that I'm still feeling. The previous owner was also in 2 accidents he wasn't at fault for. I loved driving that car, but glad I got rid of it.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    May I suggest as an alternative to a minivan, get a real van. Ford Econoline 350 with chunky tires is a modern day a-team vehicle.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I've always said if I ever need a minivan, I'm just going to get a 4x4 converted Chevy Express van, and replace the benches with captain chairs.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Off-road vans are rad. Normal vans are lame, minivans I get but I'd rather have a wagon, but off-road vans? Too cool for school.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    There is this E350 4X4 with a Powerstroke that rolls around my neck of the woods. It's got a little lift and some big chunky off roaders.

I love that van.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    *bangs gavel*

The lifted van with beefy tires fan club will now come to order

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    There is a guy in my neck of the woods with an e350 that is JACKED. like way lifted with super swampers. It looks like it would tip over in a strong wind. Like the bottom of the body lines up with the top of the tire. It's nuts.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Had Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my FR-S and loved their dry/wet performance... snow on the other hand left a lot to be desired, which seems to be the case for them.

Went ahead and switched over to the Conti Extremecontact DWS06's to go with my new wheels.

Here's some pics since it's been a long while...
    sv1x7w22me8t.jpg
    40stknpugrvj.jpg
    6ciw2uow5flp.jpg
    0pcsuypu4jmv.jpg
    4y52h2mfiy55.jpg

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    Glad to hear I'm in good company vis-a-vis van choice.

I like to ART
  • Options
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Had Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my FR-S and loved their dry/wet performance... snow on the other hand left a lot to be desired, which seems to be the case for them.

Went ahead and switched over to the Conti Extremecontact DWS06's to go with my new wheels.

sv1x7w22me8t.jpg
    40stknpugrvj.jpg
    6ciw2uow5flp.jpg
    0pcsuypu4jmv.jpg
    4y52h2mfiy55.jpg

Huh. The reviews I read before I bought my set said they did very well in the snow.

And that's been my experience. I've even had people in my car remark that I had better winter tires than they did.

• Options
    My brother's Focus has A/S 3s, and they were worthless in the snow. He wisely picked up some Altimax Arctics for the winter.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    There is a guy in my neck of the woods with an e350 that is JACKED. like way lifted with super swampers. It looks like it would tip over in a strong wind. Like the bottom of the body lines up with the top of the tire. It's nuts.

Does he have a side gig every Sunday, SUNDAY, SUNDAY?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    HooverFan wrote: »

0pcsuypu4jmv.jpg

FISH and ChiPs? lol

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    The FR-S/BRZ is such a beautiful car.

If only it had an AWD option.

This discussion has been closed.