As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congress CXV: Absurdly long special election edition

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    RFK Jr. is the anti-vax useless gadfly who thinks electoral politics is for losers. Joe Kennedy is a pretty good Congressman.

You are once again my hero, good Bum.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Here's a Hispanic GOP Rep. from Florida responding to Steve King's earlier racist tweet:

Could this be the thing that brings King down?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Well I'm relieved. You had me in a panic there shryke, I thought I had done my homework before the election.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Here's a Hispanic GOP Rep. from Florida responding to Steve King's earlier racist tweet:

lol, no. King's district is 96% white. He's getting re-elected for as long as he wants.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

lol, no. King's district is 96% white. He's getting re-elected for as long as he wants.

Well he's doubling down on white nationalism on CNN this morning

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Rep. Steve King of Iowa continues to be one of the worst members of Congress.

Here he is praising Gerry Wilders, the ultra nationalist from The Netherlands:

And look, he has famous supporters!

we're ALL americans you racist fucks.

*indignantly changes OKCupid preferences to omit white women*

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular

The willful ignorance of minority republicans will never cease to amaze me.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Label wrote: »
    Rep. Steve King of Iowa continues to be one of the worst members of Congress.

Here he is praising Gerry Wilders, the ultra nationalist from The Netherlands:

And look, he has famous supporters!

we're ALL americans you racist fucks.

*indignantly changes OKCupid preferences to omit white women*

Pssh, I was doing that already

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you didn't know King was a white nationalist, you weren't paying attention. He keeps a damn Confederate flag on his desk.

GOP kisses his ring every four years too, which is one of the more obvious indicators of what they are.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    He probably thinks he's being progressive. "What, I support race mixing!"

while also being totally tone deaf and unaware of how races and how mixed race families work

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Cuomo: "Everybody is calling you a racist over this, are you walking it back? I'm giving you a chance, you know."
    King: "No. All in, 14 words."

TryCatcher on
  • Options

while also being totally tone deaf and unaware of how races and how mixed race families work

No, he's a stone cold racist. We need to stop trying to see the best in Republicans. It's how the whole flawed campaign strategy happened.

• Options

No, he's a stone cold racist. We need to stop trying to see the best in Republicans. It's how the whole flawed campaign strategy happened.

Err, yes. That's what I said.

"He probably thinks he's being progressive" and "He's being progressive" are not the same thing.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Iowa as a whole is 91% white. A more useful measure would be that King's district is R+5, so yeah, he ain't leaving.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Iowa as a whole is 91% white. A more useful measure would be that King's district is R+5, so yeah, he ain't leaving.

The point is that white people are going to be less likely to see anything problematic about his statements, whereas a minority is immediately going to see the implication. You'd see a much bigger effect if he was in, eg, one of the heavily Cuban GOP districts in Florida.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

R+5 is enough if enough people find him too embarrassing (conservatives who may be a little racist themselves but mostly just feel uncomfortable if the subject's brought up by someone who's for social justice or for white nationalism alike).

• Options
    Mr Khan wrote: »

R+5 is enough if enough people find him too embarrassing (conservatives who may be a little racist themselves but mostly just feel uncomfortable if the subject's brought up by someone who's for social justice or for white nationalism alike).

He'd have to lose a primary, which is pretty unlikely I'd think.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    King represents a very white and very rural part of Iowa. He's a complete fucker but he accurately reflects the majority of voters opinions in that area. Iowa is very progressive until you get twenty miles from the major cities. Unfortunately, the majority of Iowans still live outside that area.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    King represents a very white and very rural part of Iowa. He's a complete fucker but he accurately reflects the majority of voters opinions in that area. Iowa is very progressive until you get twenty miles from the major cities. Unfortunately, the majority of Iowans still live outside that area.

tbf, this description applies to pretty much every state I can think of besides Vermont, with slight tweaks on the distance needed.

For example, remember that Issa's district is in California.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

tbf, this description applies to pretty much every state I can think of besides Vermont, with slight tweaks on the distance needed.

yeah, rural california is very very conservative.

i know, i grew up in it

it was all yes on 8 (ban on gay marriage) and their congressman is solidly republican forever.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

i know, i grew up in it

it was all yes on 8 (ban on gay marriage) and their congressman is solidly republican forever.

It always makes me laugh when I see Jefferson stickers and remember thats a real thing for a lot of people.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

i know, i grew up in it

Issa's not from rural CA, like the Inland Empire. He's a product of the OC, in every sense.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Also, got a visit from the Dems this weekend. They're hitting up regular Dem voters to get them keyed in to the special election.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

i know, i grew up in it

Issa's not from rural CA, like the Inland Empire. He's a product of the OC, in every sense.

He also came damn close to losing last year.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

i know, i grew up in it

He's been in Congress longer than he's been reppin South OC, it just so happens that Orange County and Northern San Diego County run very red. For very different reasons, but real red all the same.

emp123 on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

The question I'd like answered is why Carlos Curbelo continues to be a part of the Republican party?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

The question I'd like answered is why Carlos Curbelo continues to be a part of the Republican party?

Tax cuts for the rich and "Well they mean those other brown people."

Really any minority GOP anyone is basically care more about less taxes than literally anything else.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Also, got a visit from the Dems this weekend. They're hitting up regular Dem voters to get them keyed in to the special election.

I (not officially registered with a party) got a flier dropped off at my door by people working for the Democratic headliner in GA-6 this weekend.

At least they're trying, but I can't imagine he has a real shot in this thing.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

I (not officially registered with a party) got a flier dropped off at my door by people working for the Democratic headliner in GA-6 this weekend.

I'm tossing money at his campaign, but yeah.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »

It is kind of funny seeing them release polls where he is technically "leading" because they threw in 5 different Republicans. But he doesn't hit 50.1% in any of them, which means he'll make the runoff and then get trounced there.

I'll go vote for him twice anyway, but I'm not holding out any hope of flipping the seat.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

It is kind of funny seeing them release polls where he is technically "leading" because they threw in 5 different Republicans. But he doesn't hit 50.1% in any of them, which means he'll make the runoff and then get trounced there.

I'll go vote for him twice anyway, but I'm not holding out any hope of flipping the seat.

Making a strong run at it does mean something. We need to start building up momentum now behind good local candidates everywhere.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Making a strong run at it does mean something. We need to start building up momentum now behind good local candidates everywhere.

Yeah, in theory, if you get a strong wrong. It made get some lazy people to get off their asses and vote because "well shit, I guess my vote really does matter."

• Options
    Worth noting Trump was not particularly popular in the district (it was 51-49 one way or the other), if the Dems can make the race about him specifically and not the GOP in general, they have a shot.

• Options
    Well, Governor Branstad has officially said that Steve King's remarks don't reflect the views of Iowans, and that “We certainly don’t want David Duke or his kind coming to Iowa,” but he didn't actually, y'know, condemn King for saying those things.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

i know, i grew up in it

He also came damn close to losing last year.

Yeah, and his district actually went for hillary by a fairly decent margin, and he only won by a couple thousand (out of a few hundred thousand) votes. He's pretty vulnerable, if the dems can put up another former marine in 2018, and keep attention on how he's doing things like jumping over fences to avoid the press (and his constituents)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Well, Governor Branstad has officially said that Steve King's remarks don't reflect the views of Iowans, and that “We certainly don’t want David Duke or his kind coming to Iowa,” but he didn't actually, y'know, condemn King for saying those things.

Have any Republicans in a leadership position directly criticized King?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

why would they? most of them agree with him, and the rest are all about the eleventh commandment

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Not unless I somehow got the winning lottery numbers.

• Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I went to Congressman Jeff Fortenberry's town hall this evening. There was some shouting from the crowd, but honestly, like, we're Nebraska Democrats, we're not particularly inclined to shout a whole. He seemed pretty shaky, to be honest. He said at least twice that the AHCA's refundable tax credits scale with income so that poor people get more, which... isn't true? Like at all?

He had the only microphone, which seemed like a petty power move consider there were a few hundred people there at least. I had to leave before the last few questions, but apparently, of the ones I missed, he started talking about the Postal Service which didn't have anything to do with the question?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    There is no reason for a Democrat to go to bat for the AHCA, not ever, and I don't care how fucking red their state is. There are certain lines we don't cross, and a shit-ton of people dying is one of them, or else what is the point?

Some of these Congresspeople need ovarian/testicular transplants, and failing that, to be run out on a rail. This is not the time to be wishy-washy.

Pressure people in our party to oppose this shit, and if it doesn't take, primary them.

Edit: Fortenberry is a Republican, not a Democrat, but my point stands. I'm keeping a very close eye on the Democrats and expect blanket opposition.

joshofalltrades on
This discussion has been closed.