As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ralph Nader Appreciation Thread [Cars]

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    And MOAR POWAH

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    And MOAR POWAH

Yeah. Honestly, if THAT was the new WRX body, I'd already have one and probably still be living in a tiny 1BR apt instead of the condo I bought a couple years ago. :P

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The FR-S/BRZ is such a beautiful car.

If only it had an AWD option.

Yeah, I think I'm sticking with WRX for the duration. Maybe Infiniti.... maybe.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I look forward to when the FRS/BRZ are cheap enough for me to bolt in an LS and go to town.

• HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Had Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my FR-S and loved their dry/wet performance... snow on the other hand left a lot to be desired, which seems to be the case for them.

Went ahead and switched over to the Conti Extremecontact DWS06's to go with my new wheels.

Here's some pics since it's been a long while...

0pcsuypu4jmv.jpg

FISH and ChiPs? lol

My last name and what I go by... plus a Panthers season ticket holder since '04.

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    Handgimp wrote: »

Yeah, I think I'm sticking with WRX for the duration. Maybe Infiniti.... maybe.

My next car will likely be a WRX STi with an Audi S3 being a contender. I wouldn't mind a TT, but that's probably not practical as my sole vehicle.

Okay, you put the Infiniti Q60 on my radar, you jerk.

That car looks niiiice.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Infiniti's naming scheme is stupid

can you feel the struggle within?
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    May I suggest as an alternative to a minivan, get a real van. Ford Econoline 350 with chunky tires is a modern day a-team vehicle.

We were looking at the Mercedes Sprinter and the Ford Transit as other possible options.
    The Sprinter was too expensive and the Transit was not easy to convert between moving large stuff and carrying people.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Six wrote: »

Eh, at least their premiere sporting platform isn't named after gonorrhea.

Which company does that? Mitsubishi?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    May I suggest as an alternative to a minivan, get a real van. Ford Econoline 350 with chunky tires is a modern day a-team vehicle.

We were looking at the Mercedes Sprinter and the Ford Transit as other possible options.
    The Sprinter was too expensive and the Transit was not easy to convert between moving large stuff and carrying people.

The econoline fits both of those, but you have to come to terms with the fact that you are driving a pool boy car.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The S3 is such a cool little car although my GTI got pretty maintenance heavy around 95,000+ miles

No, Subaru. The STi.

No, Subaru. The STi.

Oh I get it.

edited March 2017
    desc wrote: »
    The S3 is such a cool little car although my GTI got pretty maintenance heavy around 95,000+ miles

Yeah, I would generally consider an Audi to be a lease-only project.
    5503d1227188791-any-help-replacing-timing-chain-tensioners-motor.jpg

nope.jpg

EDIT: heh that was supposed to say "lease-only car" but somehow even a leased Audi being equivalent to a project fits

mRahmani on
    Hrm.

Living where it routinely hits -40 I definitely need drivetrain reliability. Audi just isn't there?

That's too bad.

So for a newb like me, what's wrong with that engine? Too many chains?

edited March 2017
    So for a newb like me, what's wrong with that engine? Too many chains?

Yeah, pretty much. That's the engine out of the early 00's Audi S4. It infamously required timing chain tensioner replacements, which was a hellacious job costing thousands of dollars. They have a reputation for being overly complex and therefore requiring high maintenance bills.

By comparison, here's the timing chain on the GM LS family of V8s:
    IMG_0166%20(Medium).JPG

One chain. One cam. Two valves per cylinder. No, it's not sexy or advanced or as butter smooth as the German V8, but simplicity has its own virtues.

mRahmani on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I might be in love with this nerd.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

What did you get hit with from it? I had to do the normal 100k service on mine, and I had rear wheel bearings go bad and replaced those, I had a "very small evap leak" code at one point that cost me $175 at the dealer to diagnose and fix, and the smaller radiator fan failed and had to be replaced. Oh, and two valve cover gasket failures in its lifetime so far. Because apparently they're made out of paper mache. I'm almost to 160k on mine now, hoping to get to 200k without anything major.

nibXTE7.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I might be in love with this nerd.

This video turned me on in ways I didn't realize were possible.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    "Drive it like there is an egg under the accelerator when you are in 5th gear"

I would be friggen afraid to accelerate at all and break that man's nice work.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It does, it's called the Subaru Impreza. Even comes with two extra doors!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I look forward to when the FRS/BRZ are cheap enough for me to bolt in an LS and go to town.

You mean now?

It does, it's called the Subaru Impreza. Even comes with two extra doors!

Look, man, I HAVE an Impreza, 2009, bought it new.

But the current Impreza and WRX are both not that great looking. Subaru isn't known for making cars with striking looks (Save that 2014 WRX Concept, which was the most amazing thing I've ever seen from Subaru), but the BRZ is just so pretty.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    How do you like your Impreza?

My fiance is waiting on delivery of a 2017 hatchback (it should be here tomorrow?) and I'm just curious.

edited March 2017
    I fuckin' love my car.

I'm at over seven years with it, and I've had zero regrets about my purchase.

I want to upgrade for more power, but in terms of a car in it's class? Easily the best of the bunch. Reliable as hell, sporty, super easy to handle, roomy and good in all kinds of conditions. The only time my car has even been stuck in the snow was when I high centered on a snow drift. Which would get anything stuck.

Basically, if your price range is in the $20k area, you can't go wrong with an Impreza.

Nova_C on
    edited March 2017
    I think she's gone with the 2.0i-Sport Tech version. Definitely was around $34K. But she fell in love with the handling and all the features. I'm excited to get in it and see what it's all about.

[Edit]
    I had thought she was looking in the mid-to-high 20s range, but then she mentioned Subaru and went and drove some things while I was working at the lounge last Saturday morning and boom! lol

LaOs on
    edited March 2017
    Thirty four? That's the WRX then.

There's no Impreza that costs $34k. The base model is $19995 in Canada.

EDIT: Looks like a fully loaded 5 door is $31k? $34k seems like a lot.

Nova_C on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I second @Nova_C on the opinion of the Impreza. I had an 09 as well, and went to an older WRX from it. The only things the stopped forward progression in that car were things that needed a truck to get over.

The newer Imprezas have an even better more fuel efficient engine. There's still some losses due to the AWD system, but for an all around practical vehicle that can get you through near any weather conditions (with the appropriate combination of skill and proper tires) it's hard to beat.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Thirty four? That's the WRX then.

There's no Impreza that costs $34k. The base model is $19995 in Canada.

EDIT: Looks like a fully loaded 5 door is $31k? $34k seems like a lot.

She's horrible with details, so I'm not sure what all she added to her car, but I think she said $34K last weekend.

All in all, I've always liked Subarus, especially their reliability in Winter (we're in Saskatchewan), and she is definitely in love with this car. So, it's good times all 'round.

(I do wish she was better about details, especially with significant purchases and the like, but oh well.)

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Fellow prairie person! It's quite possible I've been out for rip in the dead of winter, blasting Immigrant Song, and transporting a flat of Pil in my Subie. It'll do ya well.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited March 2017
    We've had a ton of snow this winter up in Yellowknife and my Impreza handles the snow and ice easily. Not that it doesn't ever lose traction, but even when it does, it's super easy to control in a slide.

EDIT: And as I mentioned above, I have all season tires on it, so not even winter tires.

Nova_C on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    For a long time the plan to replace my wife's old carrola once we got student loans paid off was a FRS/BRZ, but I'm gonna be hella tempted to go for the MX-5 RF. We don't have space for a 3rd car so it'd be a daily driver, and Wisconsin is too shitty weather wise for a soft-top 70% of the year. Giving up a back seat, and about 45HP. But not having to feed it premium gas would be nice.

Plus I think it just looks like pure fucking sex.

02.2_OVERVIEW_Feature_RHD_960x470px.jpg

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    THAT'S the Miata now?

Wow.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    THAT'S the Miata now?

Wow.

It's the retractable hardtop version. I think its the better version of the two, even if it adds 100lbs.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I'd take a turbo over AWD. It exists because it's RWD. There are some pretty great aftermarket turbo setups but I'm just not that kind of guy.
    It's incredible how cheap the used ones already are. I'm tempted to sell my car and buy one.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hey speaking of Deloreans what ever happened to the dude that bought the old factory and said he had enough parts to build like 1000 new production models?

Did that go anywhere?

are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.