As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad News... in a good way.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Korean tourist tells police "It'sa me, Mario!" - with kart:
    The Mainichi reports that the woman “apparently failed to negotiate a turn at an intersection, driving her vehicle onto a sidewalk and then crashing into the wall of the police box”.

The accident took place on Sunday, in Shibakoen, in Tokyo’s Minato district. Thankfully, nobody was injured.

She had rented the vehicle from MariCar, a company recently made famous for specializing in the hire of Mario Kart-inspired go karts and costumes, and which is in the process of being sued by Nintendo for copyright infringement.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Well. He got that one off his bucketlist.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Well. He got that one off his bucketlist.

Too bad it wasn't a defibushock.

Swiss officials catch meat smuggler who had illegally transported 68 tons of meat into Switzerland over the past decade and a half:
    Swiss customs officials have ended the career of a smuggler who admitted spiriting thousands of kilos of meat into the country over the past 15 years.

While the 41-year-old man is accused of illegally transferring a total of 27 tons (59,000 pounds) of lamb, 18 tons of beef, 12 tons of chicken and 11 tons of pork, it was just 80 kilograms of fresh meat that tripped him up as he crossed the border in his hatchback car in the mountain town of Morgins.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You don't scare me - a showdown on Wall Street
    A bronze statue of a defiant girl faces "Charging Bull" in the Financial District of New York on International Women's Day. State Street Global Advisors, a unit of State Street Corp, installed the Kristen Visbal statue in front of Arturo Di Modica's iconic charging bull by as part of its new campaign to pressure companies to add more women to their boards.

wallstreet-women-photo-0702869e-0430-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_620x311.jpg

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Danish teen works on WWII assignment at home, discovers remains of German warplane and pilot
    He told Danish news station DR P4 Nordjylland: "When my son Daniel was recently given homework about World War Two, I jokingly told him to go out and find the plane that is supposed to have crashed out in the field."
    Father and son joined forces with a metal detector, but never expected to find anything.
    Mr Kristiansen, an agricultural worker, believed the wreckage had been removed years before.
    But then, a telltale beeping on a patch of boggy ground.

. . .

Their haul included an engine from the ME 109 Messerschmitt plane, Luftwaffe munitions, and the bones of a crew member who died in the crash.
    "In the first moment it was not a plane," Mr Kristiansen told the BBC. "It was maybe 2,000 - 5,000 pieces of a plane. And we found a motor... then suddenly we found parts of bones, and parts from [the pilot's] clothes.
    "And then we found some personal things - books, a wallet with money... Either it was a little Bible or it was Mein Kampf - a book in his pocket. We didn't touch it, we just put it in some bags. A museum is now taking care of it. I think there's a lot of information in those papers."
    Realising they had found something extraordinary, the farmer contacted World War Two historians and the Danish authorities.

. . .

North Jutland Police have now closed the crash site for investigation.
    As ammunition was found with the plane, bomb disposal experts are on hand to remove it safely.
    Forensic police are working to recover the dead airman's remains, and hope to identify him in due course.
    "Probably there is a pilot who will be buried now in Germany," Mr Kristiansen says. "I would hope so."
    As for Daniel... he has handed in his history homework, but hopes to update it when the details of the stricken plane - and the man who fell with it - come to light at last.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The Mainichi reports that the woman “apparently failed to negotiate a turn at an intersection, driving her vehicle onto a sidewalk and then crashing into the wall of the police box”.

The accident took place on Sunday, in Shibakoen, in Tokyo’s Minato district. Thankfully, nobody was injured.

She had rented the vehicle from MariCar, a company recently made famous for specializing in the hire of Mario Kart-inspired go karts and costumes, and which is in the process of being sued by Nintendo for copyright infringement.

Wait, in Japan there's a rental company that has Mario Karts? Why am I not on a plane right now?

edited March 2017
    Hevach wrote: »

Wait, in Japan there's a rental company that has Mario Karts? Why am I not on a plane right now?

Well, not for long. Nintendo is currently in the process of suing them into the ground.

AngelHedgie on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    And not so much actual Mario Karts as death trap go-carts ridden on public roads in Tokyo.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    And not so much actual Mario Karts as death trap go-carts ridden on public roads in Tokyo.

Thisisfine.jpg

:bigfrown:

Florida Lawyer's pants catch on fire during arson case.
    Stephen Gutierrez, who was arguing that his client’s car spontaneously combusted and was not intentionally set on fire, had been fiddling in his pocket as he was about to address jurors when smoke began billowing out his right pocket, witnesses told the Miami Herald.

He rushed out of the Miami courtroom, leaving spectators stunned. After jurors were ushered out, Gutierrez returned unharmed, with a singed pocket, and insisted it wasn’t a staged defense demonstration gone wrong, observers said.

Instead, Gutierrez blamed a faulty battery in an e-cigarette, witnesses told the Miami Herald.
    . . .

Repeated calls to Gutierrez’s cellphone went unanswered. Miami-Dade police and prosecutors are now investigating the episode. Officers seized several frayed e-cigarette batteries as evidence.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Will the prosecutors finishing statement go "Liar Liar pants on Fire"?

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Will the prosecutors finishing statement go "Liar Liar pants on Fire"?

Only if his name is Jack McCoy

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Florida Lawyer's pants catch on fire during arson case.
    Stephen Gutierrez, who was arguing that his client’s car spontaneously combusted and was not intentionally set on fire, had been fiddling in his pocket as he was about to address jurors when smoke began billowing out his right pocket, witnesses told the Miami Herald.

He rushed out of the Miami courtroom, leaving spectators stunned. After jurors were ushered out, Gutierrez returned unharmed, with a singed pocket, and insisted it wasn’t a staged defense demonstration gone wrong, observers said.

Instead, Gutierrez blamed a faulty battery in an e-cigarette, witnesses told the Miami Herald.
    . . .

Repeated calls to Gutierrez’s cellphone went unanswered. Miami-Dade police and prosecutors are now investigating the episode. Officers seized several frayed e-cigarette batteries as evidence.
    1871: Clement Vallandigham, a lawyer and Ohio, U.S., politician defending a man on a charge of murder, accidentally shot himself demonstrating how the victim might have shot himself while in the process of drawing a weapon when standing from a kneeling position. Though the defendant, Thomas McGehan, was ultimately cleared, Vallandigham died from his wound

steam_sig.png
    Pig goes to Home Depot after fence blows down
    A piggy named Hamlet is back home with his owner after he got loose and went to the market.

Fierce winds Wednesday blew Hamlet's fence down in Portage, so the pig escaped, walking about a mile to a local Home Depot store. Amanda James, a Home Depot employee, said, “We looked out the side door and there was a pig on the hill. He's super friendly, he's very sweet, doesn't make too much noise, believe it or not."

After he "pigged out" on dog biscuits James fed him, she brought him to her house where she knew he'd be safe.

She then posted Hamlet's photo on Kalamazoo Area Lost Pets Facebook page, which was shared almost 500 times in a couple hours. James said, "That was my first thought, was this has got to be someone's pet. If it were my animal missing, I would want them to do the same thing."

Within a few hours, Hamlet's owner learned her piggy had gone to the store. Rachael Fairbotham was so relieved to know Hamlet was safe. Fairbotham said, "I was happy, I almost cried when I finally saw him. I didn't think I would again."
    James later posted on Facebook, "Reunited,- this little piggy went wee, wee, wee, all the way home."

No signs of a big bad wolf yet.

Steam Profile
    edited March 2017
    So what do you do if you have a reoccurring visiting toad?

Engage in haberdashery.

sub-buzz-25012-1489401746-1.jpg?downsize=824:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

AngelHedgie on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    A piggy named Hamlet is back home with his owner after he got loose and went to the market.

Fierce winds Wednesday blew Hamlet's fence down in Portage, so the pig escaped, walking about a mile to a local Home Depot store. Amanda James, a Home Depot employee, said, “We looked out the side door and there was a pig on the hill. He's super friendly, he's very sweet, doesn't make too much noise, believe it or not."

After he "pigged out" on dog biscuits James fed him, she brought him to her house where she knew he'd be safe.

She then posted Hamlet's photo on Kalamazoo Area Lost Pets Facebook page, which was shared almost 500 times in a couple hours. James said, "That was my first thought, was this has got to be someone's pet. If it were my animal missing, I would want them to do the same thing."

Within a few hours, Hamlet's owner learned her piggy had gone to the store. Rachael Fairbotham was so relieved to know Hamlet was safe. Fairbotham said, "I was happy, I almost cried when I finally saw him. I didn't think I would again."
    James later posted on Facebook, "Reunited,- this little piggy went wee, wee, wee, all the way home."

News story has some unanswered questions -

1) what was the fence made of
    2) did Hamlet purchase bricks

5gsowHm.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

who do you think blew down the fence??

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The last one is sublime

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    "I am the inconvenient fact that studies have shown that people of various races relate better to a lead actor if they share the same race, and America is roughly 78% white, and since a studio is probably spending a hundred million dollars or more on an adaptation of an anime they are going to take every step they can to make sure that they make their budget back and then some" doesn't really fit on a 300x300 twitter image I guess.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    "I am the inconvenient fact that studies have shown that people of various races relate better to a lead actor if they share the same race, and America is roughly 78% white, and since a studio is probably spending a hundred million dollars or more on an adaptation of an anime they are going to take every step they can to make sure that they make their budget back and then some" doesn't really fit on a 300x300 twitter image I guess.

Oh for sure, man.

That's why The Last Airbender, The Great Wall, and Prince of Persia were all such massive successes in America.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Jake Gyllenhaal being cast as the main in Prince of Persia was the least of its problems.

Kruite wrote: »
    Jake Gyllenhaal being cast as the main in Prince of Persia was the least of its problems.

There does seem to be a strong correlation between whitewashing your leads and making a shitty movie.

edited March 2017
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Oh for sure, man.

That's why The Last Airbender, The Great Wall, and Prince of Persia were all such massive successes in America.

The Last Airbender and Prince of Persia were bad movies, The Last Airbender proves my point anyway since it shows how there could be substantial hesitancy with funding live action anime adaptations and explain why they would want to attach an actress with substantial star power to lead it regardless of race.

The Great Wall wasn't made for America, it was made for China. Hollywood has been trying to break into the Chinese market for years, but it's very difficult (China has very strict rules regarding how many American films can be imported per year because it's terrified that Hollywood will overshadow the still nascent Chinese big budget film industry), The Great Wall was designed to fit every one of China's stipulations, was filmed entirely in China with a majority Chinese production crew. When you're aiming for a country with a population of nearly 1.4 billion people the US moviegoing audience is an afterthought.

The Great Wall more than doubled its budget in ticket sales, by the way.

SmokeStacks on

Oh for sure, man.

The Last Airbender and Prince of Persia were bad movies, The Last Airbender proves my point anyway since it shows how there could be substantial hesitancy with funding live action anime adaptations and explain why they would want to attach an actress with substantial star power to lead it regardless of race.

The Great Wall wasn't made for America, it was made for China. Hollywood has been trying to break into the Chinese market for years, but it's very difficult (China has very strict rules regarding how many American films can be imported per year because it's terrified that Hollywood will overshadow the still nascent Chinese big budget film industry), The Great Wall was designed to fit every one of China's stipulations, was filmed entirely in China with a majority Chinese production crew. When you're aiming for a country with a population of nearly 1.4 billion people the US moviegoing audience is an afterthought.

The Great Wall more than doubled its budget in ticket sales, by the way.

Not in America, which was the context of your pretty-racist argument.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Reverse the situation though, like say..... make a comic book version of a Norse God into something other than a Scandanavian, and a lot of those same people who don't seem to care....well they start caring a lot.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

There does seem to be a strong correlation between whitewashing your leads and making a shitty movie.

Oh, is there?

Why don't you tell me about it.

Oh, is there?

You're not my supervisor.

It's not racist to point out that people are more likely to want to see a movie with a lead actor that has the same race as them and as a result Hollywood is going to maximize their profit potential on a high risk project by casting an actress that shares the same race as 3/4 of the country. It's unfortunate, and sad, but it's the reality of an industry that measures budgets and returns in the millions and billions.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Oh, is there?

You're not my supervisor.

I just figured if such a correlation existed, it would be pretty easy to pick out.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

And in the case of ghost in the shell the main characters body is a cyborg shell. Its no more asian than it is caucasian. It can look like whatever the makers wanted it to look like.

kaid wrote: »

And in the case of ghost in the shell the main characters body is a cyborg shell. Its no more asian than it is caucasian. It can look like whatever the makers wanted it to look like.

Considering the creator of GiTS doesn't care and neither do the Japanese, it all seems like a bunch of social white-knighting.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Considering the creator of GiTS doesn't care and neither do the Japanese, it all seems like a bunch of social white-knighting.

That's ridiculously disingenuous. You're not the gatekeeper of what people are allowed to be offended by. Come on.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited March 2017

That's ridiculously disingenuous. You're not the gatekeeper of what people are allowed to be offended by. Come on.

Neither is anyone else, but I keep seeing here the "proper way of thinking" needs to be: Offended over Scarjo being the Major.

Anything else is wrong.

Am I missing something?

jungleroomx on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If your statement starts out with, "I'm not a racist, but..." or some approximation like someone used above? Yeah, it's racist. And you know it's racist. That's why you're hedging before the words even leave your mouth. If it genuinely wasn't racist, you'd feel no need to that.

What you mean is, "I don't mind [thing X] , and I am not a racist because racists are bad. Therefore, [thing X] can not be racist, so it must really be about {insert rambling justification intend to shield you from having the reevaluate your position}."

Liking X doesn't make you racist, really. You're just privileged enough you never had to think about it before, but all of us believe some prejudiced, privileged shit.

JihadJesus on
    edited March 2017
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Liking X doesn't make you racist, really. You're just privileged enough you never had to think about it before, but all of us believe some prejudiced, privileged shit.

Ahhh, so if you're ok with Scarlett Johansson being cast as Major you're a racist, but not intentionally, because you're ignorant about how racist you are because of your privilege?

Lucky that we have people like you here who are woke enough to show us exactly how terrible we are.

SmokeStacks on

It's not racist to point out that people are more likely to want to see a movie with a lead actor that has the same race as them and as a result Hollywood is going to maximize their profit potential on a high risk project by casting an actress that shares the same race as 3/4 of the country. It's unfortunate, and sad, but it's the reality of an industry that measures budgets and returns in the millions and billions.

Again, the actual box office numbers don't seem to bear this theory out. Perhaps "White people want to watch movies with other white people" exists more as an article of faith among studio executives borne out of conscious or unconscious bias than a well thought out business decision.

This discussion has been closed.