As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad News... in a good way.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    This isn't a discussion we need to have in every single thread

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    This isn't a discussion we need to have in every single thread

Mea culpa.

As penance here's a cute story about a cat saving it's owners from carbon monoxide poisoning.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Baseball player hits a literal donger:
    Yurendell de Caster bashed a two-run homer in Wednesday’s World Baseball Classic game to give the Netherlands a 7-0 lead over Cuba. The shot also crunched a fan’s crotch.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Baseball player hits a literal donger:
    Yurendell de Caster bashed a two-run homer in Wednesday’s World Baseball Classic game to give the Netherlands a 7-0 lead over Cuba. The shot also crunched a fan’s crotch.

I will use this as a pretext to post one of favorite all-time tweets:

Here's one for the grammar pedants: Maine milkmen win overtime lawsuit over a lack of an Oxford comma:
    A Maine court ruling in a case about overtime pay and dairy delivery didn’t come down to trucks, milk, or money. Instead, it hinged on one missing comma.
    Delivery drivers for local milk and cream company Oakhurst Dairy have been tussling with their employers over whether they qualify for overtime. On March 13, a US court of appeals determined that certain clauses of Maine’s overtime laws are grammatically ambiguous. Because of that lack of clarity, the five drivers have won their lawsuit against Oakhurst, and are eligible for unpaid overtime.
    The profoundly nerdy ruling is also a win for anyone who dogmatically defends the serial comma.
    The serial comma, also known as the Oxford comma for its endorsement by the Oxford University Press style rulebook, is a comma used just before the coordinating conjunction (“and,” or “or,” for example) when three or more terms are listed. You’ll see it in the first sentence of this story—it’s the comma after “milk”—but you won’t find it in the Maine overtime rule at issue in the Oakhurst Dairy case. According to state law, the following types of activities are among those that don’t qualify for overtime pay:
    The canning, processing, preserving,
    freezing, drying, marketing, storing,
    packing for shipment or distribution of:
    (1) Agricultural produce;
    (2) Meat and fish products; and
    (3) Perishable foods.
    There, in the comma-less space between the words “shipment” and “or,” the fate of Kevin O’Connor v. Oakhurst Dairy was argued. Is packing (for shipment or distribution) a single activity that is exempt from overtime pay? Or are packing and distributing two different activities, and both exempt?
    If lawmakers had used a serial comma, it would have been clear that distribution was an overtime-exempt activity on its own. But without the comma, wrote US appeals judge David J. Barron, the law is ambiguous as to whether distribution is a separate activity, or whether the whole last clause—”packing for shipment or distribution”—is one activity, meaning only the people who pack the dairy products are exempt. The drivers do distribute, but do not pack, the perishable food.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yessssssssssssssss.

I'd like to thank my parents, God and Alannis Morissette, for this ruling.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nvm, didn't see Tube post.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

I don't even give a shit about the casting and I find this hilarious because, seriously, have these people never interneted before?

You don't let the internet loose on your marketing campaign.

shryke on
    shryke wrote: »

I don't even give a shit about the casting and I find this hilarious because, seriously, have these people never interneted before?

Yep. Every time some marketer thinks that this is anything other than a bad idea, it always ends in memes, humiliation, and tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Cb9x70gYQ

Train gives zero fucks about snow, commuters.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Okay commuters. In theory you have optical devices you are born with called eyes. If you use those to perceive the area around you they may notice a large amount of snow that is the pathway for a large oncoming object. One may even surmise that if said large object strikes that snow some amount of snow displacement may occur suddenly. Therefore perhaps step back FROM THE STUPID LINE IDIOTS.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Judging by the all the phones out to record the snowplosion they knew what was going to happen and chose to stand in front of the stupid line.

steam_sig.png
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Judging by the all the phones out to record the snowplosion they knew what was going to happen and chose to stand in front of the stupid line.

Yeah, that whole video looked like a lot of people saying, "This is going to be AWESOME!" followed somewhat quickly by "OH SHIIIIIT!" as they realized the volume and velocity of the snow coming at their faces.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    And on that day many cell phones were probably lost.

Today in Why You Never Wear Solid Green On TV - Sean Spicer's sartorial mistake meets the Internet:

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Speaking of which: Boaty McBoatface is ready to launch

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Doublepost McDoublepostface

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Speaking of which: Boaty McBoatface is ready to launch

Still one of my favorite Internet things.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    You know that feeling when you're just chilling at the summit of an active volcano and it suddenly explodes? Yeah, a BBC film crew and some tourists found out what that's like first hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kJUXKXxcTE

Everyone was ok with mostly minor bumps, bruises, and burns.

Veevee on
    "A volcano erupted at me, and all I got was this headwound."

Wow.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    "A volcano erupted at me, and all I got was this headwound."

Wow.

And a ruined coat

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The photo for that story is perfection

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    So, the Switch cartridges are...pretty tiny. And thus a swallowing hazard. Nintendo's solution? Put a rather powerful bitterant into the plastic, so the carts taste foul.

Of course, when game journalists hear this, what's the first thing they do?

Exactly.

I'll admit i tried licking Breath of the Wild, first thing after i took it out of the box, because of how the story was making the rounds.

And? How was it?

Missed this comment a while ago. It's not the worst thing i ever tasted or anything. There's always a bit of a tang when you put black matte-painted plastic stuff on your tongue, this is just like that tang, but moreso.

edited March 2017
    Also, be careful what you yell at your opponents in Overwatch, because your children are listening:

I love the teacher's perplexed "I don't understand how, but I can tell it was an insult."

AngelHedgie on
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    If hanzo main is the insult the kid picked up I think they have achieved mastery in parenting.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, not the first time Hanzo main has been used as a public insult.
    ZTJiZDcwODczMCMvRW9WT1oxSVVDTmRfcmNwMkJZWElkTTB5bE53PS8weDA6OTYweDYxNC85MDB4NTMwL2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCkvaHR0cDovL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9ob2lwM2RvMmltdjBuMWRvbWh1cWpkZGNwYXB0czVkcm53b3FjNWdzZnN4b3ZxYWpoY2EzMnMwZmhmNmowbWp6LmpwZw.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bad News: Guy gets a C for his college paper about orphaned Constitutional Amendments.

Gone Right: Guy decides to get one of them passed because screw you teach.

http://loweringthebar.net/2017/03/guy-who-got-a-c-on-amendment.html

That's a fun story that almost makes it seem like people could get involved in their government!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited March 2017
    Bad news: Nazi tries to bolster himself with show tune.

Gone Right: Badass politician reminds him exactly who wrote said tune:

AngelHedgie on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Could Kander get any more awesome?

I had no idea he was John Kander's nephew, that's pretty cool.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Read down the thread on RBS's twitter feed (because I hate my brain I guess).
    Best response: "That wasn't a punch, it was an alternative hug."

Bad News: Gibbledygoopers attack video game artist who criticized the vicious attacks on an ME:A animator.

Gone Right: Game community responds with donations to a group built on encouraging and supporting women entering the field:
    Over the weekend, Naughty Dog artist Alex Neonakis started getting nasty Twitter messages from GamerGaters and other internet cretins. Exasperated, she tweeted some screencaps, along with a message: “I just donated to @GirlsMakeGames in honor of these lovely boys. Thanks guys!” Other developers followed her lead.

By Tuesday, hundreds of game developers had donated thousands of dollars to Girls Make Games, an organization that provides workshops and summer camps to young women who are interested in developing video games. (Before you start asking “why isn’t there a ‘Boys Make Games’?”, consider that, by the ESA’s account, just 22% of game industry employees are women. That’s why.)

Neonakis, who has written for Kotaku about her work on The Last of Us, started seeing angry tweets on Saturday night after she wrote a rant about the vile treatment of an EA animator who worked on Mass Effect: Andromeda. “I’ve worked in this industry for 10 years. I have clawed to where I am today despite people telling me I couldn’t and shouldn’t,” she wrote on Twitter. “And at every damn step some asshole likes to pass it all off as ‘well you’re a girl so obviously that helped.’”

Shortly afterwards, Twitter cretins started sending Neonakis messages, which led her to donate $500 to Girls Make Games. (She donated another $500 today.)

“I felt so beyond angry on behalf of that former Bioware animator,” Neonakis told me. “It can feel a little helpless to see this stuff and not feel there’s anything positive you can do. I keep coming back to just trying to be supportive of the women that are currently in it and the women who want to be. I think something like Girls Make Games is so cool because it simply sparks an interest in creating games. Some of those girls will go into tech, some of them will pursue journalism, some of them will just love games and cosplay and be fans.”

Following Neonakis’s $500 donation, dozens of other developers tweeted their own contributions, from Uncharted 4 director Neil Druckmann (“I look forward to one of these girls replacing me”) to Firewatch director Jake Rodkin and many more, including staff at Ready At Dawn, Disney, High Moon, Blizzard, and lots of others.

Best Fuck You Ever.

Father who has been secretly maintaining a memorial to his son, who was killed by a drunk driver, gets a letter from the company that owns the land.

They wanted to let him know they were installing a permanent memorial.
    The father who has been secretly maintaining a memorial for his only son over the last 12 years had to finally reveal himself when the company that owns the property left him a note. Fearing the worst, he stepped forward—only to discover the company wanted to make the memorial a permanent feature in its plans to upgrade the property.

Ray Olson has been covertly maintaining a memorial of flowers, lights, and angels to his only son Raymond, who died near the memorial site in a 2003 car crash involving a drunk driver. Olson only visited his son’s memorial at night, fearing that the property owners would notice him otherwise and force him to remove the tribute to his son.

He got an unexpected surprise when Chevron, the company that owns the property in Richmond, California, reached out by leaving a letter at the memorial. Despite his worst fears, the company wanted to make the memorial a permanent fixture in its plans to update the property, according to NBC News:

Chevron decided to team up with the local neighborhood council to dedicate a bench, plaque and photo of Raymond Olson in a nearby park to Olson’s son. After 12 years of covertly caring for the memorial, Olson will no longer have to hide.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Radiation sensors on the ISS were recording false data

This was pointed out and helped to be corrected by a UK schoolboy
    The research was part of the TimPix project from the Institute for Research in Schools (IRIS), which gives students across the UK the chance to work on data from the space station, looking for anomalies and patterns that might lead to further discoveries.

Miles's teacher and head of physics, James O'Neill, said: "We were all discussing the data but he just suddenly perked up in one of the sessions and went 'why does it say there's -1 energy here?'"

The correction was said to be "appreciated" by Nasa, which invited him to help analyse the problem.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    New York Presbyterian Hospital releases a Spotify playlist of 100 songs to perform CPR to, as they have the correct tempo.

Songs include "Stayin' Alive", "I Will Survive", and for the more cynical, "Another One Bites The Dust".

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Father who has been secretly maintaining a memorial to his son, who was killed by a drunk driver, gets a letter from the company that owns the land.

They wanted to let him know they were installing a permanent memorial.
    The father who has been secretly maintaining a memorial for his only son over the last 12 years had to finally reveal himself when the company that owns the property left him a note. Fearing the worst, he stepped forward—only to discover the company wanted to make the memorial a permanent feature in its plans to upgrade the property.

Ray Olson has been covertly maintaining a memorial of flowers, lights, and angels to his only son Raymond, who died near the memorial site in a 2003 car crash involving a drunk driver. Olson only visited his son’s memorial at night, fearing that the property owners would notice him otherwise and force him to remove the tribute to his son.

He got an unexpected surprise when Chevron, the company that owns the property in Richmond, California, reached out by leaving a letter at the memorial. Despite his worst fears, the company wanted to make the memorial a permanent fixture in its plans to update the property, according to NBC News:

Chevron decided to team up with the local neighborhood council to dedicate a bench, plaque and photo of Raymond Olson in a nearby park to Olson’s son. After 12 years of covertly caring for the memorial, Olson will no longer have to hide.

I'm not crying you're crying shut up.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    New York Presbyterian Hospital releases a Spotify playlist of 100 songs to perform CPR to, as they have the correct tempo.

Songs include "Stayin' Alive", "I Will Survive", and for the more cynical, "Another One Bites The Dust".

Pfffff Spotify, so late to these kinds of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li9l0lNo7_Q

PSN Fleety2009
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

"Spirit in the sky" is my new CPR song!

steam_sig.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bad News: Gibbledygoopers attack video game artist who criticized the vicious attacks on an ME:A animator.

Gone Right: Game community responds with donations to a group built on encouraging and supporting women entering the field:
    Over the weekend, Naughty Dog artist Alex Neonakis started getting nasty Twitter messages from GamerGaters and other internet cretins. Exasperated, she tweeted some screencaps, along with a message: “I just donated to @GirlsMakeGames in honor of these lovely boys. Thanks guys!” Other developers followed her lead.

By Tuesday, hundreds of game developers had donated thousands of dollars to Girls Make Games, an organization that provides workshops and summer camps to young women who are interested in developing video games. (Before you start asking “why isn’t there a ‘Boys Make Games’?”, consider that, by the ESA’s account, just 22% of game industry employees are women. That’s why.)

Neonakis, who has written for Kotaku about her work on The Last of Us, started seeing angry tweets on Saturday night after she wrote a rant about the vile treatment of an EA animator who worked on Mass Effect: Andromeda. “I’ve worked in this industry for 10 years. I have clawed to where I am today despite people telling me I couldn’t and shouldn’t,” she wrote on Twitter. “And at every damn step some asshole likes to pass it all off as ‘well you’re a girl so obviously that helped.’”

Shortly afterwards, Twitter cretins started sending Neonakis messages, which led her to donate $500 to Girls Make Games. (She donated another $500 today.)

“I felt so beyond angry on behalf of that former Bioware animator,” Neonakis told me. “It can feel a little helpless to see this stuff and not feel there’s anything positive you can do. I keep coming back to just trying to be supportive of the women that are currently in it and the women who want to be. I think something like Girls Make Games is so cool because it simply sparks an interest in creating games. Some of those girls will go into tech, some of them will pursue journalism, some of them will just love games and cosplay and be fans.”

Following Neonakis’s $500 donation, dozens of other developers tweeted their own contributions, from Uncharted 4 director Neil Druckmann (“I look forward to one of these girls replacing me”) to Firewatch director Jake Rodkin and many more, including staff at Ready At Dawn, Disney, High Moon, Blizzard, and lots of others.

Best Fuck You Ever.

Isn't Neonakis also a now-inactive PA forumer?

edit: oh, yep, now I remember exactly who, too

Mortal Sky on
This discussion has been closed.