As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Too bad I'm at work (and working late tonight), I never get to use my NARC Raven with NARC module.

Well you are in luck. Oosik night is tomorrow night.
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    BeornK wrote: »
    if we are running clan mechs I'll have to run a timberwolf (unless you want me to stick a clrm 5 on a kit fox).

Maybe I'll run that just to irritate padre...

No love for LRM40 (4xLRM10) Kit Foxes?

And if we do IS LRMs, I'm out since I don't have any IS LRM boats.

You can make one of your Marauder a LRM boat.

It only has 2 missile hardpoints.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I always did dislike the Mercs Kitty 2. It looks hideous to me.

That's okay, though, as long as the regular ol' Timberwolf is pretty, I'm okay.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Too bad I'm at work (and working late tonight), I never get to use my NARC Raven with NARC module.

if we are running clan mechs I'll have to run a timberwolf (unless you want me to stick a clrm 5 on a kit fox).

Soo..only LRM40

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    McGibs wrote: »
    I know MWO's naming conventions are all out the window, but this bothers me more than it should:

Timberwolf...
    ...Mad Cat II

That goes straight to the source material. Tabletop Battletech has always called the MCmk][ a Mad Cat, I've literally never seen it called the Timber Wolf II or anything else. It has to do with its introduction as a mech Clan Diamond Shark/Sea Fox was selling to IS militaries.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    It's more bugging me that it's a timberwolf in the first place, when there's also a mad dog. Pick a convention, damnit!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It's more bugging me that it's a timberwolf in the first place, when there's also a mad dog. Pick a convention, damnit!

?

Timberwolf and Mad Dog are the Clan names for two unrelated mechs. Their IS names are Mad Cat (because it's a Catapault with Marauder MAD-# arms) and Vulture, respectively.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Soo..only LRM40

The only mech that I have deserving of a bee-swarm night might be my Battlemaster. It'll be a LRM50 turret, but it'll still be a LRM50 assault.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, time to actually run this quad gauss kodiak.

What, did you slap together this abomination? HWR-00

...And I just now realized that I have the same initials as Macross' Monster. Well, I mean, at least it's a cool mecha?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

?

Timberwolf and Mad Dog are the Clan names for two unrelated mechs. Their IS names are Mad Cat (because it's a Catapault with Marauder MAD-# arms) and Vulture, respectively.

Wuuuuuttt? I always assumed that Mad Cat and Mad Dog were the IS names for Timberwolf and Vulture!!
    I mean, what with clan mechs usually having animal names and such.

Marauder Catapult just blew my little brain.
    knowing.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Clan mech: IS reporting name
    • Fire Moth: Dasher, 20 tons - self-explanatory
    • Mist Lynx: Koshi, 25 tons - little death in Japanese
    • Kit Fox: Uller, 30 tons - a germanic god of hunting; a scout mech with a big long range gun
    • Adder: Puma, 35 tons - ?
    • Viper: Dragonfly, 40 tons - for the way it darts around the battlefield
    • Ice Ferret: Fenris, 45 tons - a wolf of significance in Norse myths
    • Nova: Blackhawk, 50 tons - ?
    • Storm Crow: Ryoken, 55 tons - 'hunting dog' in Japanese
    • Mad Dog: Vulture, 60 tons - hunched shoulders appearance
    • Hellbringer: Loki, 65 tons - partnered to the Thor, uses electronics warfare
    • Summoner: Thor, 70 tons - obviously inspired by the Thunderbolt
    • Timberwolf: Mad Cat, 75 tons - Catapault (CAT) with Marauder (MAD) arms and tonnage
    • Gargoyle: Man o War, 80 tons - ?
    • Warhawk: Masakari, 85 tons - named after a kind of Japanese battle axe
    • Executioner: Gladiator, 95 tons - IS boggled by purpose for an assault with MASC
    • Dire Wolf: Daishi, 100 tons - great death in Japanese

As far as I know, there was no 90 ton omni in the original Clan line-up.

Confusingly, there's a second line clan mech from the 3055 TRO that's named the Black Python, but reported as the Viper by the IS. Also, the successor to the Adder is named the Cougar, which follows the theme of its IS reporting name.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, time to actually run this quad gauss kodiak.

What, did you slap together this abomination? HWR-00

Pretty much that, yeah.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    • Fire Moth: Dasher, 20 tons
    • Mist Lynx: Koshi, 25 tons
    • Kit Fox: Uller, 30 tons
    • Adder: Puma, 35 tons
    • Viper: Dragonfly, 40 tons
    • Ice Ferret: Fenris, 45 tons
    • Nova: Blackhawk, 50 tons
    • Storm Crow: Ryoken, 55 tons
    • Mad Dog: Vulture, 60 tons
    • Hellbringer: Loki, 65 tons
    • Summoner: Thor, 70 tons
    • Timberwolf: Mad Cat, 75 tons
    • Gargoyle: Man o War, 80 tons
    • Warhawk: Masakari, 85 tons
    • Executioner: Gladiator, 95 tons
    • Dire Wolf: Daishi, 100 tons

Confusingly, there's a second line clan mech from the 3055 TRO that's named the Black Python, but reported as the Viper by the IS. Also, the successor to the Adder is named the Cougar, which follows the theme of its IS reporting name.

IS is bad at this guessing game, they didn't get one right

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    What's more interesting to me is initially there were 17 extant Clans when they were introduced, and there are 17 weight classes (20-100) in traditional gameplay. I'm surprised the initial line-up of Omnis weren't just totems for each Clan.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Another thing that seems to be flying under the radar that i just noticed.

the civil war mech packs dont come with premium time for the base package, and only 30 days with the higher package. ( previously it was 30/60 days)

So, PGI continues the downward spiral of giving you less and demanding more for it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Since some Mad Cat Mk. II's were sold directly to Inner Sphere military forces by the Clan that manufactured it, I wonder if they'll let IS factions use them in CW?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Since the Mad Cat Mk. II was sold directly to Inner Sphere military forces by the Clan that manufactured it, I wonder if they'll let IS factions use them in CW?

You should do stand up comedy.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Another thing that seems to be flying under the radar that i just noticed.

the civil war mech packs dont come with premium time for the base package, and only 30 days with the higher package. ( previously it was 30/60 days)

So, PGI continues the downward spiral of giving you less and demanding more for it.

Yeah but if you buy both mech packs at the same level for the same faction you get a pair of items that either give you 5% more cbills or XP.

Which...like...so that's not even that great, ya know? Like, so if I buy both collectors and both ultimate packs, then I can have both bonuses at the same time, but only for either an IS or a Clan mech...

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Some of the IS names are straight up cooler then the actual name Loki, Thor and cauldron born being cooler then hellbringer , summoner and ebon jag .

• Options

Some of the IS names are straight up cooler then the actual name Loki, Thor and cauldron born being cooler then hellbringer , summoner and ebon jag .

I dunno. I always liked Hellbringer. And I'm not really a big fan of either of EBJ's names.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody mentioned the reason the Timber Wolf was called the Mad Cat by the IS is that when the Clans first came onto the scene the IS targeting computers got confused and kept switching between calling it a Marauder and Catapult. Thus the IS started calling it the Mad Cat till they learned the true name.

Also there is the Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu) and the Huntsman (Nobori-Nin) which both names I really love.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Nobody mentioned the reason the Timber Wolf was called the Mad Cat by the IS is that when the Clans first came onto the scene the IS targeting computers got confused and kept switching between calling it a Marauder and Catapult. Thus the IS started calling it the Mad Cat till they learned the true name.

Also there is the Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu) and the Huntsman (Nobori-Nin) which both names I really love.

*cough*look up*cough*
    Sorry Bets...I gotta give credit where credit's due

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Yeah, but nobody mentioned the lore behind the confusion. I'm thinking of they really didn't "see" the mech till it was too late. Even then only a handful of MechWarriors were lucky enough to eject and live to tell the tale that they saw a mech with Marauder arms and Catapult body/torso. Sort of like how most dogfights these days are more of a missile lock tone and fire. Sorry, that was the one reason I fell in love with the Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) when I first laid eyes on it, it was the story behind the name more than the mech itself.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    This crazy machine all fat and sassy on the grim battlefields of the future.

I want one as a pet.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    This crazy machine all fat and sassy on the grim battlefields of the future.

I want one as a pet.

That would be awesome... damnit, now PGI will implement "pets" in the game where you have a mini version of a mech following your mech around the battlefield.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I was looking at the new mech packs because... well I hate myself and started to tempt myself to forgive and give PGI money. Yeah... I really, REALLY hate myself. ANYWAYS, what helped me realize that this is a dumb idea is that the Cougar has a MILF decal (which I learned what it meant a few years ago). Great job PGI, way to make a statement there.

cougar-earlybird-rewards-sprite.png

So just confirming that we are having an angry bee Oosik night right?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I dunno, I like that kind of tongue in cheek humour. The Cougar mech has a MILF decal (Mech I would Like to Fight).

But yeah, dont give PGI any money.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    It is sad that we like these giant robots so much but run into, "this company is so full of shit I can't deal."

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I was looking at the new mech packs because... well I hate myself and started to tempt myself to forgive and give PGI money. Yeah... I really, REALLY hate myself. ANYWAYS, what helped me realize that this is a dumb idea is that the Cougar has a MILF decal (which I learned what it meant a few years ago). Great job PGI, way to make a statement there.

*snip*

As distasteful as the acronym is, I mean...it's a cougar (which is another euphemism that tends to be tied to the acronym).

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, so it's a kind of sexist joke that's only sort of funny. Ehhhh.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    It is sad that we like these giant robots so much but run into, "this company is so full of shit I can't deal."

Yeah which is why I think a bunch of us are looking forward to the BT beta.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Just got an email from Piranha about the timeline moving on to 3060 reminding me that the game exists. Titanfall 2 has definitely taken over as my giant stompy robot game of choice, but MWO will always have a place in my mechanical heart.

Did they ever make it so smaller mechs are less lockable-onto than larger mechs? As in assaults can be doriotoed out to 1000m, but perhaps a medium only 600m or something...

Also how's the netcode these days, any improvements to hit registration?

Campy on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Hit registration?

Paging Doctor @Buttcleft , Doctor Buttcleft to reception.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »
    Just got an email from Piranha about the timeline moving on to 3060 reminding me that the game exists. Titanfall 2 has definitely taken over as my giant stompy robot game of choice, but MWO will always have a place in my mechanical heart.

Did they ever make it so smaller mechs are less lockable-onto than larger mechs? As in assaults can be doriotoed out to 1000m, but perhaps a medium only 600m or something...

Also how's the netcode these days, any improvements to hit registration?

Nope they never put in anything to make different weight groups lockable from different distances.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

If you think about buying it, remember.. the prices are the same, and you are getting less for it.

You dont even get premium time anymore for the base pack. You get cockpit items that increase cbills or xp for buying the most expensive pack..Which will open the door to future MC cockpit boost items.

Suckle at the teat of rage, let it nourish you. Let it be your Shepard through the lands of temptation.
    Hit registration?

Its a day that ends in y, of course theres hit reg issues.

edit
    Oh is see...Hit Reg is just as shit as ever. You will still have double AC20 shots pass phantasmagorically thruogh your enemies CTs.

Which is, again, another reason why clan ACs are super powerful. Burst fire means that they have a chance for something hitting. same for shooting at a target on the move. IS autocannons its all front loaded and if you wiff/get fucked by PGI's ineptitude..well you arej ust fucked.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

They made the light mechs bigger, so see, it makes sense now that they are just as easy to target. The 35 tons mechs are basically as big as a Hunchback. The queue is now around 8% lights at any given time.

Except for the Locust, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nonoffensive on
  • Options

If you think about buying it, remember.. the prices are the same, and you are getting less for it.

You dont even get premium time anymore for the base pack. You get cockpit items that increase cbills or xp for buying the most expensive pack..Which will open the door to future MC cockpit boost items.

Suckle at the teat of rage, let it nourish you. Let it be your Shepard through the lands of temptation.
    Hit registration?

Its a day that ends in y, of course theres hit reg issues.

edit
    Oh is see...Hit Reg is just as shit as ever. You will still have double AC20 shots pass phantasmagorically thruogh your enemies CTs.

Which is, again, another reason why clan ACs are super powerful. Burst fire means that they have a chance for something hitting. same for shooting at a target on the move. IS autocannons its all front loaded and if you wiff/get fucked by PGI's ineptitude..well you arej ust fucked.

Right. That also is making me pass on these mechs. It really is focusing on Russ's cheapskate comment by supporting that we all should be farming 24/7.

They made the light mechs bigger, so see, it makes sense now that they are just as easy to target. The 35 tons mechs are basically as big as a Hunchback. The queue is now around 8% lights at any given time.

Except for the Locust, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I forgot the resize... Jenner's are now the size of a resized Catapult.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Locusts are teeny-tiny, the Mist Lynx is only slightly bigger (but still otherwise crap), the others range in size. Then there's a few that are in the ~18m height range (Executioner, Kodiak, Atlas, as well as the Night Gyr and Black Knight, with the Banshee and Grasshopper being about there ish)

Linking for huge, MWO mech scaling

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Locusts are plainly dense enough to walk right through their larger cousins. Get some collision going, smash into an assault's leg like a boss.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tox wrote: »
    Locusts are teeny-tiny, the Mist Lynx is only slightly bigger (but still otherwise crap), the others range in size. Then there's a few that are in the ~18m height range (Executioner, Kodiak, Atlas, as well as the Night Gyr and Black Knight, with the Banshee and Grasshopper being about there ish)

Linking for huge, MWO mech scaling

I like how the Cyclops pilot is shrugging his shoulders because he lost his mech, and the Huntsman pilot is looking around trying to find his.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Will @Nips dare show his face tonight after his egregious monthlong dereliction of duty?