As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MechWarrior/Battletech] The Oosik Irregulars are going to become canon! *EVACUATE THREAD*

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    New Lootbag event up

e: Also Snuggles Time pointed out in his Civil War video that the Annihilator -1X should be able to boat Quad Gauss

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So how much ammo comes in a mrm 1 ton box? Kinda curious how many tons I will have to set aside for munitions while I theory craft in my head.

• Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    So I played around with some lrm builds... including an lrm 85 stalker with a top speed of 32? I've dropped down to only lrms 65 so I can include an engine, tag and heat sinks... still have to really watch the heat.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    So how much ammo comes in a mrm 1 ton box? Kinda curious how many tons I will have to set aside for munitions while I theory craft in my head.

Roughly 240 missiles per ton

• Options
    I feel like MRMs are gonna be a trap. Like, they have less guidance than LRMs, which mrans they should suffer from more spread. Which will make MRM-40s basically a non-consumable, weaker artillery strike

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I feel like MRMs are gonna be a trap. Like, they have less guidance than LRMs, which mrans they should suffer from more spread. Which will make MRM-40s basically a non-consumable, weaker artillery strike

MRM40s..hnggg

• Options
    MRM have no minimum range... there's no spread when you give mech hugs.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    BeornK wrote: »

wonder what IS mech can mount the most..

a MRM200 stalker would be positively delightful.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Im not going to use them like lrms . These will be replacing my srms on my larger brawl mechs. Or they would be to supplement med lasers for close range fights on mechs like my WHM-6r. Now that I think about it my WHM-7s is set up as a complete brawler . With a LFE I should be able to put snub nose PPC's and a good number of mrms on it.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    so a 5m with mrm200 will go like 2 mph....
    Better to drop it to a mrm50 + 5 med laser and a fast xl...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    BeornK wrote: »

wonder what IS mech can mount the most..

a MRM200 stalker would be positively delightful.

Sure, eventually

• Options
    So did we ever move to discord? Anyone have the info?

• Options

Discord? What is that, some kind of new thing?

What are we, millennials?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Roughly 240 missiles per ton

That sounds...excessive for MWO. If I were putting much thought into it, I'd guess it'd be 140 missiles per ton (exactly halfway between LRM and SRM ammo/t). We're talking about a weapon that can theoretically put out 40 points of damage (double that of an AC20)...having each ton of ammo be capable of putting that out six times (compared to the AC20's seven) doesn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

No, we are on vent..the thing no one had a problem with until a new shiny popped up *cough* @BeornK *cough*

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

I dont know how they're going to work and make both themselves and SRMs viable

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

No, we are on vent..the thing no one had a problem with until a new shiny popped up *cough* BeornK *cough*

You are the only person I have found still wanting to use vent. Its not a matter of "new shiny hurr durr" its a matter of vent being ancient and downright fucking painful to use compared to any modern voice program. Not to mention the voice quality is shit and you have to pay to host a server. There is genuinely no reason anyone should still be using it, outside of that someone being a curmudgeonly old man that refuses to change because "You damn kids get offa my lawn!!".

VOIP rant aside, I am cautiously excited about all the new tech, but I am absolutely certain some or all of that is going to break the game. Beorn mentioned laser AMS being a heat tax and I'm interested to see how heat intensive it is, as that's not something I'd considered.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

No, we are on vent..the thing no one had a problem with until a new shiny popped up *cough* BeornK *cough*

You are the only person I have found still wanting to use vent. Its not a matter of "new shiny hurr durr" its a matter of vent being ancient and downright fucking painful to use compared to any modern voice program. Not to mention the voice quality is shit and you have to pay to host a server. There is genuinely no reason anyone should still be using it, outside of that someone being a curmudgeonly old man that refuses to change because "You damn kids get offa my lawn!!".

VOIP rant aside, I am cautiously excited about all the new tech, but I am absolutely certain some or all of that is going to break the game. Beorn mentioned laser AMS being a heat tax and I'm interested to see how heat intensive it is, as that's not something I'd considered.

Ghost heat for 2+ is my guess.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Ghost heat for 2+ is my guess.

Oh that I'm sure of, I'm just curious what the heat is going to be when its actively lasering missiles. Heat per second? Per missile shot down?

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Yeah, the MRM40 is gonna be the LRM20 of the MRM family. I think the 10, 20, and even 30 may see use, but the weight, size, spread and cooldown on the 40 is probably going to limit it to novelty builds. They'll also probably be more of an anti-heavy/assault weapon than be much use against lighter targets. SRMs will probably still have their place. All depends on implementation tho, imagine if they fire all their missiles at once...

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I don't have a mic, so I can't speak for the actually using it with PTT perspective, but vent is nice because you can have multiple channels at once, if you have more than 1 lance (but not a full 12 person company) going, you don't have a lot of cross talk. Also, Discord's overlay just shows a mic that indicates that someone is talking, which is...not super useful since you can hear them anyway.

Mumble or whatever is good too, though?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Friend Oosiks!

Tonight we make our enemies dine on a diet of angry bees! I'll see you all online at about 8pm CT, on whatever voice comms the hivemind lands on.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

I don't have a mic, so I can't speak for the actually using it with PTT perspective, but vent is nice because you can have multiple channels at once, if you have more than 1 lance (but not a full 12 person company) going, you don't have a lot of cross talk. Also, Discord's overlay just shows a mic that indicates that someone is talking, which is...not super useful since you can hear them anyway.

Mumble or whatever is good too, though?

Regarding the bolded, you can have multiple channels in Discord as well, which is both simpler to set up and much easier to invite people to. Discord also lights up the mic next to the person's name who is actively talking, so... not sure what to say there? Unless you've used the website, which I'm unfamiliar with. I'm referring to the app.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Padre, your a god among men. Your 9 LRM5 Archer build is so much fun!!!

Was great fun running with you gentlemen. After I logged out I clicked on my loot bags... and landed the Banshee Grand Prize! LRMS for the WIN!

Edit: Forgot to say what mech had the 9 LRM5.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    There is only one 9xLRM-5 mech

thank god

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Huh...this was unexpected...

sgn3qtigwwcv.jpg

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Huh, the grand prize is a mech? I might have to actually play

steam_sig.png
  • Options

A good mech at that. The Banshee line is excellent.

• Options
    See, blessed are the LRMs. Padre leads us Oosiks to the promised lands of free mechs.
    Too bad it went to a dirty clanner though. But we can overlook that since he did join the LRM rain.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

A good mech at that. The Banshee line is excellent.

Its not that good of a banshee, you cant run 40+ SHS on that variant.

Edit
    As to the Archery ARC-5W 9xLRM5 XL320 arms and body on two seperate fire groups on chain fire.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I have to try out the XL in mine for extra ammo since running a STD 300 only allows me 4 tons of ammo and 2 DHS. Also I always fire all of my missiles in chain fire till I get too hot then I pause to lower my heat then let them fly again. It is an unending stream of yellow bees.

Or if I really want to put a hole in something I have the arm tubes in one group and the torso ones in another. Then fire the one group then the other which will let me duck behind cover to cool off.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    on the subject of Best Banshee BNC-3S 5xML 2xLL 43xHeat Sinks 260STD

• Options
    This is my preferred BNC-3M. Its begging for an LFE or Targeting Computer instead of AMS, but the 58 damage alpha at 73kph is pretty nice. You can also run a similar build on the BNC-3S with a standard engine, because the ballistic hardpoint is a trap.

The new weapons, combined with the new Skill Tree, are going to make the Banshee a meta-powerhouse pretty soon. Its losing no quirks and gaining all the new benefits, plus the BNC-3E could be running around with Quad Rotary AC2's soon. As is, the BNC-3E is a forgotten gem of a mech.

• Options
    This is my preferred BNC-3M. Its begging for an LFE or Targeting Computer instead of AMS, but the 58 damage alpha at 73kph is pretty nice. You can also run a similar build on the BNC-3S with a standard engine, because the ballistic hardpoint is a trap.

The new weapons, combined with the new Skill Tree, are going to make the Banshee a meta-powerhouse pretty soon. Its losing no quirks and gaining all the new benefits, plus the BNC-3E could be running around with Quad Rotary AC2's soon. As is, the BNC-3E is a forgotten gem of a mech.

The new Skill Tree is coming, sure, it'll come just after the unfuckedup energy draw system that also got put on the shelf

• Options
    See, I get the lack of faith in PGI, completely, but I don't feel like Energy Draw and Skill Tree are the same thing.

Like, the Skill Tree, by and large, is functional. I feel like it's a good upgrade from the current skill system, that does allow for some new things. And I don't think it's broken at all. The only real problems anybody noticed on the PTS were related to the changes to mobility. Yeah, that's related to the Skill Tree, but only by timing.

Energy Draw straight up didn't work, from everything I've heard. So I'm not sure it's completely fair to compare the two, outside the context of "I have no faith in PGI because of stuff like this"

• Options
    edited March 2017
    See, I get the lack of faith in PGI, completely, but I don't feel like Energy Draw and Skill Tree are the same thing.

Like, the Skill Tree, by and large, is functional. I feel like it's a good upgrade from the current skill system, that does allow for some new things. And I don't think it's broken at all. The only real problems anybody noticed on the PTS were related to the changes to mobility. Yeah, that's related to the Skill Tree, but only by timing.

Energy Draw straight up didn't work, from everything I've heard. So I'm not sure it's completely fair to compare the two, outside the context of "I have no faith in PGI because of stuff like this"

Energy Draw and Infotech was just as functional as the Skill Tree.

Its just that PGI cant fucking do anything competently.

This isnt salt, this isnt lack of faith, this isnt blind rage.

It is undeniable scientific fact

And a big part of it is they live in a fucking echo chamber, They ignore reddit, they ignore their own fucking forums, in favor of the slow drizzle of blind brown nosing they receive on Russ's twitter.

The other part is that every time PGI encounters a problem, their solution is to double down, and try to come up with a means to change the physics of the fucking universe in order to force it into some semblance of barely functional, instead of trying to come at it from a different direction.

Then when it gets pushed out on the PTS, and the community rejects it because its fucking terrible, they refuse to accept the criticism and incorporate it into making a better product..instead they throw a temper tantrum and throw it away and refuse to work on it every again, because that'll somehow show us.

It seems to get especially worse when the community proves itself capable, time and time again, of producing a better, more usable, and infinitely superior product design that they offer up to PGI for free. Which is why I think Russ's insults against the community arent jokes, or mispoken words, I think the root for them is his contempt for the community not accepting his companies greatness, and showing him and Paul up.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    So what was broken with the Skill Tree?

I'm not doing a thing, I'm actually asking. I thought the issue here was the price points combined with the refund level combined with Russ' cheapskate comment.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Interesting. Your build for the 3M is pretty close to the Champion build. They put a STD engine in it and no AMS of course.

The similarities between the two are that PGI doesn't listen to the good feedback in the forums after they ask people to try it out in the PTS. Then they do some random adjustments to try and placate the masses, meanwhile still ignoring good feedback because it would require them to change a lot of their original focus. Completely ignore any balance issues. Then they magically determine that it is ready to launch after they put in a lot of hours working on it, only to delay the launch (shelve in the case of the Energy Draw system) after a bunch of push back. But that's just my observation of the similarities between the two.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah, Energy Draw was going to see the return of 6 PPC boats. I'm pretty sure PGI could have adjusted values to avoid this, but it seems they wanted to keep Energy Draw, Damage and Heat in a 1:1:1 relationship that just wasn't possible. As soon as they started messing with everything except this central conceit, it was pretty apparent things weren't going to work out.

The new Skill Tree is power creep, doesn't help balance, and is a scummier business model, but there's nothing inherently flawed about it from a functional perspective.