As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Western Animation] Wibbly Wobbly, Timey Wimey...Awoo-oo!

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Samurai Jack review
    Wow that's a lot crammed in. But they've successfully set up the world after a fifty year timeout. Aku robbed Jack of hope to save the past, and whatever caused him to lose his sword robbed him of hope to save the future. No wonder he's in a funk and being overwhelmed by it, so all he feels he can do is put out small fires, and tragically he doesn't always feel like he can even do that.

I think the back and forth between Jack and the Daughters of Aku could have been swapped around a bit more. It kind of implies they were born and raised over the course of a few days, which clearly isn't the case. Maybe if we led with their birth that would have been clearer.

Solid fight with Scaramouche who had a nice gimmick. I like the Megaman approach of taking his enemies' weapons. It's very hard to take a character known for fighting a particular way and going full edge and giving them guns and stuff, but with Jack's initial training and his circumstances they do a good job of justifying it: Jack already learned all the methods of combat and self sufficiency his own time had to offer, it stands to reason he'd start learning the future's methods too, especially when his preferred option is off the table.

A solid reintroduction that sets the stage well, and I hope it continues.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Ian Jones Quartey's OK K.O. is a series now. Intro by Japanese animator Hiroyuki Imaishi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWyHZQARrnM

Digging that animation style, pretty fluid

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Too bad the whole show won't look like that. Imaishi has a very unique style that utilizes exagerrated key frame poses to make his animations look interesting despite budgetary limitations. He also worked on the Black Dynamite season 2 opening and the Toy Story Battlesaurs opening.

Takafumi Hori, another animator at Imaishi's company, Studio Trigger, also contributed to the Steven Universe episode Mindful Education.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    It's marathoning on the main AS video page if you missed it. http://www.adultswim.com/videos/

It asks me for a cable company login

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Maaaaan, i remember when I was a kid and I read Ian Jones-Quartey's webcomic, RPG World.

i'm so happy about his success.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I just remembered about the existence of Filmore! and Dave the Barbarian.

What other gems have I forgotten?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Just saw on the Disney Instagram (shut up I love Disney!) that the Big Hero 6 TV Series has been renewed for a second season already. It doesn't even premiere until the fall.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Too bad the whole show won't look like that. Imaishi has a very unique style that utilizes exagerrated key frame poses to make his animations look interesting despite budgetary limitations. He also worked on the Black Dynamite season 2 opening and the Toy Story Battlesaurs opening.

Takafumi Hori, another animator at Imaishi's company, Studio Trigger, also contributed to the Steven Universe episode Mindful Education.

Hori also did that weird-ass episode of Adventure Time called "Food Chain," didn't he?

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Hori also did that weird-ass episode of Adventure Time called "Food Chain," didn't he?

No. That was Masaaki Yuasa, whose reputation I still do not understand in the slightest.

Hori's more or less a regular talented animator. Yuasa's a crazed nutball who turns everything he touches into a trippy auteure "YOU CAN'T TELL ME HOW TO DRAW ANYTHING OR WHAT A NARRATIVE IS" drug trip.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »

No. That was Masaaki Yuasa, whose reputation I still do not understand in the slightest.

Hori's more or less a regular talented animator. Yuasa's a crazed nutball who turns everything he touches into a trippy auteure "YOU CAN'T TELL ME HOW TO DRAW ANYTHING OR WHAT A NARRATIVE IS" drug trip.

Food Chain is one of my all time favorite Adventure Times though.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    New Aardman thing!

https://youtu.be/6QNxWO_t2qM

It looks very, very Aardman, which works for me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Want to own the entire Legend of Korra series on Blu-ray? It's just 30 bucks.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    oh fuck yea!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Oh man that new Samurai Jack

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Second half of the episode was bloody fantastic. I don't really get the wolf thing though. It's supposed to be symbolic, I get that, but it seemed pretty flimsy.

It also seemed a little weird after episode one that
    Episode 1 was showing him Megamanning it up, collecting the equipment from his defeated enemies.
    Episode 2 was getting Metroided and losing all his equipment and upgrades to start over from 0.

So... two episodes in a row of video game intros.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular

Music has always been great within the series, but I really enjoyed the track they were using
    when the Daughters of Aku first entered the tomb of the king.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wasn't sure if there was a thread for it, but I suppose this will do for conversation.

New Samurai Jack is excellent. Last nights episode was insanely good. The animation, the fights, the "Show, don't tell" story. It's all working really well for me.

Also,
    Aku putting on his fire brows like little, fucking, hats. :clapclap:

KoopahTroopah on
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    kfrooster wrote: »

Music has always been great within the series, but I really enjoyed the track they were using

It really sounded like they were doing an intentional riff on Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold."

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Agreed. Nice use of that THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY piano.

Fairchild on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Fakefaux wrote: »

It really sounded like they were doing an intentional riff on Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold."

Dang, beat. But yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

Note to the wise- be very careful when you search for 'ecstasy' on Youtube.

Fairchild on
    Aku: "After 50 years, I thought that Samurai..."

Aku's psychiatrist: "Stop, don't say the name ! This is a safe space."

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Need to rewatch the prior seasons, don't think I ever watched them all or in order. Things are looking super bleak for Jack, and
    that was truly his first human kill, huh?

edited March 2017
    Need to rewatch the prior seasons, don't think I ever watched them all or in order. Things are looking super bleak for Jack, and

I'm kind of surprised at that spoiler
    I know there was no blood, but those Bounty Hunters look pretty dead to me. I'm willing to believe he hasn't fought many human enemies, but never killed ever? That doesn't jive.

RMS Oceanic on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRlyA3uUW0

• see317see317 Registered User regular

I know there was no blood, but those Bounty Hunters look pretty dead to me. I'm willing to believe he hasn't fought many human enemies, but never killed ever? That doesn't jive.
    I doubt it was his first human kill, but probably his first in a long time.
    And when he's been telling himself that "they're all robots, just nuts and bolts" for the past 50 years (and being right), seeing blood would probably have been a hell of a shock.

• MillMill Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I doubt it was his first human kill, but probably his first in a long time.
    And when he's been telling himself that "they're all robots, just nuts and bolts" for the past 50 years (and being right), seeing blood would probably have been a hell of a shock.
    Could have just been a case of that being the first human he killed, or at least registered killing, without his magic sword. A sword that can't harm the innocent. So he is troubled by this kill because he can't be certain he didn't cut down an innocent. Seemed like all the daughters of Aku are still in their teens.

Also didn't someone on the original team state that he killed 5 of the 6 bounty hunters in the episode "The Princess and the Bounty Hunters?" Three of those guys were very obviously humans.

emnmnme wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRlyA3uUW0

I never forgot Recess.

Tartakovsky said in a recent interview he believes the human bounty hunters survived somehow, One Piece style (e.g, no realistic way they should've gotten up from that, but this is a show where next to nobody dies, so they did).

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Dang, beat. But yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

Note to the wise- be very careful when you search for 'ecstasy' on Youtube.

Yeah, the thematic parallels there were hugely obvious.

And fucking rad.

I hope there are a shitload more moments like that.

edited March 2017
    I'm intrigued by the
    horned rider. I have two theories about him:

a. He represents Death as a rider, waiting to claim Jack when he is finally defeated;

3) He represents the Samurai spirit that Jack must reclaim if he wishes to ever achieve victory over Aku. Note that the horned rider's green color matches the pit into which Jack dropped his sword; perhaps he performed a dishonourable deed, and lost the sword as punishment ? And he must atone for that deed to reclaim his honor ?

Fairchild on
    I thought
    it was Aku, terrorizing everyone in his past.

We're meant to think that it's an evil omen, but i agree that it probably represents something that Jack will become.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jack seemed scared of it at first, but I dunno if it's really evil.
    The vision showed Jack the tomb he took shelter in. Something about it is calling out to Jack, calling him to survive and move forwards. I think that's other point in the 'something Jack will become' column.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Jack seemed scared of it at first, but I dunno if it's really evil.
    The vision showed Jack the tomb he took shelter in. Something about it is calling out to Jack, calling him to survive and move forwards. I think that's other point in the 'something Jack will become' column.

Hmm interesting idea, but I didn't read it like that.
    I thought that while Jack was being confronted by his old self about his honor, he then saw the vision of the black samurai and was frightened again. Then while he was looking at the samurai the clouds parted and he saw the tomb. I'm not sure if the black samurai actually guided Jack to the tomb, I think it was sort of a coincidence and something to knock sense into Jack. He was on his way to the tomb anyway before The Seven Daughters showed up.

This episode showed that Scaramouche wasn't just a crazy one-off, he was plot development.
    It reinforces that Jack was right -- previously, they were all just nuts and bolts.

Not to mention Jack was plenty tortured by his failure and his inability to progress already, to the point he's already contemplating suicide. And now he has the guilt over killing a fellow human to add to it.

Man, they weren't kidding when they said this show goes grim places. Which is why I'm glad depressed Aku was everything I was hoping it would be.

Also, this image from the first part of the episode is a goddamn delight:
    1*pmW4pFExdbkCCXC-hV8e0Q.jpeg

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    He's no Mako (no one is), but the Aku VA is giving it a very good showing.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    He's no Mako (no one is), but the Aku VA is giving it a very good showing.

Yeah, though it's not the first time he replaced Mako in one of his roles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Baldwin

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I always wonder about Aku's alignment, since he doesn't seem all that much more evil than a real world dictator: content to let people be as long as they never challenge his rule. Sometimes petty, and completely uncaring about whether innocent people die in his quest for power, but the only sins he commits seemingly are in the perpetuation of his own power.

Think about the famous episode where he tries to convince the kids that he's a good guy with propaganda. A real force of pure evil would have done something worse. Even if you take the exogenous, "it's just a kid's show" explanation into account, he could have done something nasty but non-violent to one of the kids and told the others "let that be a lesson to those who cross Aku," instead of trying to win their hearts and minds.

Even the Aku-Worshipper used positive reinforcement at one point instead of just smacking Ashi over the head (or worse) for daring to walk away from her training and look outside.

Compare this to, say, the Justice League cartoon and the antics of Darkseid. The attitude and the conduct are totally different, despite Aku being the embodiment of pure evil.