As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Muslim Ban] and other Trump immigration policies and actions

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Of course this isn't as dire as the Muslim Ban, or the Mexican deportations, but it's still worrying

Canadian Nurses who work in the US have been having great difficulty getting across the border.

Not only do many women and men I know are now in workplace limbo, but the American hospitals are suffering as well, since there's a large number of nurses that have worked in the US, often for decades.

This is also fucked up, because this happened quietly on the TN NAFTA visa; as far as I can tell there have been no official releases on changes to the policy for who is and is not eligible

A lot of power is given to the CBP who interview you prior to being awarded the visa at the border. It's common knowledge that you could get turned down because the CBP agent interviewing you is in a bad mood, forcing you to come back the next day and hope you land someone else.

Given my employment under the TN, it's... a concern.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Of course this isn't as dire as the Muslim Ban, or the Mexican deportations, but it's still worrying

Canadian Nurses who work in the US have been having great difficulty getting across the border.

Not only do many women and men I know are now in workplace limbo, but the American hospitals are suffering as well, since there's a large number of nurses that have worked in the US, often for decades.

Yeah this is exactly why isolationist, nationalist, racist policies only hurt the country that institutes them. I absolutely foresee an enormous brain drain from the US over the next number of years as these kind of policies get ramped up and aren't curtailed. The chief technology officer of the Indian foreign ministry has already said that stopping H1-B visas is great for India cause it'll keep highly knowledgeable and skilled workers in India and cause a reverse brain drain from US tech companies to India's burgeoning software industry.

Try the next few decades. Even if we manage to reverse this insanity in four years, people will continue to avoid the US for fear of the next Trump we could vote in and what hell he'll put them through. This is damaging our place in the global community for a generation.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-files-notice-it-will-appeal-ruling-against-second-version-of-travel-ban/2017/03/17/6fe4b33a-0b1f-11e7-b77c-0047d15a24e0_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_travelban-4pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.84c775ac4fb5

Trump administration files notice it will appeal ruling against second version of travel ban

They're appealing, but in Maryland this time.
    The Justice Department filed legal papers in federal court in Maryland, setting up a new appeals court showdown in Richmond, Virginia.

Earlier this week, federal judges in Hawaii and Maryland issued orders against the travel ban, finding it violated the First Amendment by disfavoring a particular religion. If the Justice Department had appealed the Hawaii order , the case would have gone to the same San Francisco-based appeals court that rejected an earlier version of the travel ban.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Cute. But won't the Hawaii ban stick unless they appeal both?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It would have to go the Supreme Court to overrule the Hawaii ban.

Cause otherwise yeah, it'll stick.

Basically they'll appeal this, lose or win it'll go to the Supreme Court.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

the Hawaii ruling is a Temporary Restraining Order, which is something that happens prior to the full merits of a case, so Trump still has a chance to fight it out during the case proper. that said, it's surprising they're not appealing that as well.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    By the time this gets to the Supreme Court what are the chances that Gorsuch would rule against the ban?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am realizing with all the visa horror stories it is extremely likely that The International will have multiple teams forfeiting or playing with standins since it's being hosted in Seattle.

Trump's even ruining my DOTA experience. Not a major problem in the svheme of things, but still :(

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I am realizing with all the visa horror stories it is extremely likely that The International will have multiple teams forfeiting or playing with standins since it's being hosted in Seattle.

Trump's even ruining my DOTA experience. Not a major problem in the svheme of things, but still :(

I thought about that. I don't think they can move it, both bc of tradition and logistics if they haven't started planning that yet.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    God, why is it in every picture of Trump, he looks so SMUG

I think he looks like he's smelling shit more then he looks smug. He always looks pissed off.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This isn't a forum for children so I assume you're all able to contribute more than attacks based on the man's appearance

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Have we talked about how Muhammad Ali's son was detained and interrogated at the airport, twice, and asked about his religion:

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/3/17/headlines/muhammad_alis_son_stopped_at_airport_for_second_time_in_a_month

wandering on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Have we talked about how Muhammad Ali's son was detained and interrogated at the airport, twice, and asked about his religion:

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/3/17/headlines/muhammad_alis_son_stopped_at_airport_for_second_time_in_a_month

Wait, AGAIN?

...seriously, this is...

I cannot believe the courts let them get away with this shit.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »

Wait, AGAIN?

...seriously, this is...

I cannot believe the courts let them get away with this shit.

Without any oversight or regulations, what deterrent is there for them to stop? As far as I can tell, there are no repercussions for them treating people as shitty as possible. At worst they might get fired.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Apparently, this shitty travel ban is also going to cause problems in healthcare as well. CBP has decided that advanced nurses are no longer eligible for non-immigrant NAFTA Professional visas. Just absolute bullshit on the CBP's part. We also get to learn there is no fucking standard for getting the visa. Yeah, history seems to show that CBP was also kind of shit and whoever set it up at first, really fucked up. The CBP does need a fucking muzzle because they are doing a great job showing casing how shitty an unregulated government agency can get, when they get a large number of racists fuckers in their ranks.

I'm also waiting for the courthouse stalking shit to hit a point, where someone in law enforcement to say fuck this noise and then we see a bunch of ICE officials get arrested when they do that shit again, followed by a lawsuit arguing that ICE's behavior is violating people's rights and harming public interests. I'm pretty sure someone in that community is starting to get pissed because they are losing critical witnesses and that could mean some vile shit birds get to walk.

Mill on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Apparently, this shitty travel ban is also going to cause problems in healthcare as well. CBP has decided that advanced nurses are no longer eligible for non-immigrant NAFTA Professional visas. Just absolute bullshit on the CBP's part. We also get to learn there is no fucking standard for getting the visa. Yeah, history seems to show that CBP was also kind of shit and whoever set it up at first, really fucked up. The CBP does need a fucking muzzle because they are doing a great job showing casing how shitty an unregulated government agency can get, when they get a large number of racists fuckers in their ranks.

The Bush legacy lives on andcontinues to harm us all.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So, I think this is the right thread for this:

US Custom and Border Protections has released the desired specs for The Wall
    Late Friday, the agency released specifics for the first time on how tough the barrier must be. CBP posted online two different options for contractors: one proposal must be for a solid concrete wall, another is for a wall with "a see-through component/capability" that is "operationally advantageous."

"The wall design shall be physically imposing in height," the CBP outlines say. The government says its "nominal concept" is for a 30-foot-high wall, but adds that designs as low as 18 feet "may be acceptable."

It also needs be unclimable, cannot be tunneled under (i.e. has to extend another 6 feet underground) and impevrious to pretty much any hand-held tools (including sledgehammers, oxy/acetylene torches, and... car jacks?)

...and for the line that had me for a second thinking I had a really good St. Patrick's Day celebration and it's actually April 1st:
    It has to look good, too. "The north side of wall (i.e. U.S. facing side) shall be aesthetically pleasing in color, anti-climb texture, etc., to be consistent with general surrounding environment," the CBP says. There's no mention of the aesthetics on the Mexican side.

Big, Beautiful Wall, he said. And he actually meant beautiful...

I know this is suppose to be some terrible thing and the greatest waste of government spending for a long while but... I can't stop giggling at this thing, it's just so ridiculous, even the fact that we might actually try to build the thing can't stop the laughter.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hmm, border patrol agent salary is 55k with a bachelor's degree, going to 97k in 5 years good service. Seems like a pretty decent government job that's easy to get in.

I wonder if there is a democratic program to fill positions sought after by republicans.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Thirty-six feet in total height for a wall? And impervious to impact damage?

Do they believe transparent aluminum is an actual thing?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

you can guess whose companies will get those contracts. It's all about spending the absolutely maximum amount of money possible

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

What, you mean aluminum oxynitride?

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

Doesn't Aluminum decay super fast when exposed to environmental conditions?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gaddez wrote: »

Elemental Aluminum oxidizes so fast that it creates an incredibly thin Aluminum Oxide film over the entire piece of metal instantly when it comes in contact with atmospheric oxygen preventing the rest of the metal from oxidizing.

Aluminum in molecule compounds, such as Aluminum Oxynitride, doesn't need to worry about that. Unless the compound itself can also be oxidized, but I don't think that's possible for a compound already containing oxygen?

Veevee on
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Veevee wrote: »

Elemental Aluminum oxidizes so fast that it creates an incredibly thin Aluminum Oxide film over the entire piece of metal instantly when it comes in contact with atmospheric oxygen preventing the rest of the metal from oxidizing.

Aluminum in molecule compounds, such as Aluminum Oxynitride, doesn't need to worry about that. Unless the compound itself can also be oxidized, but I don't think that's possible for a compound already containing oxygen?

That linked article to aluminum oxynitride straight-up says that it's a ceramic.
    It's moot of course. 20 foot wall just means 21-foot ladder.
    Dollars to donuts they'll probably just make the stupid thing out of concrete and rebar.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Veevee wrote: »

That linked article to aluminum oxynitride straight-up says that it's a ceramic.
    It's moot of course. 20 foot wall just means 21-foot ladder.
    Dollars to donuts they'll probably just make the stupid thing out of concrete and rebar. grift a bunch of money from taxpayers and not build anything.

There's no incentive for the wall to actually be built. His followers would believe it existed as long as he said it did.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Make photo op sections of it anyway.
    I didn't think he'd actually try to deport Muslims until he actually did it.
    Point is, I think he'll give it the old college try before blaming it on Obama or the Democrats.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Make photo op sections of it anyway.
    I didn't think he'd actually try to deport Muslims until he actually did it.

You win this round.

I think the deporting Muslims is an accidental thing to be honest. It took ICE, CBP and TSA being openly willing to violate freedoms and follow blatant racist and illegal policies to ever get as much traction as it managed to. This is like camping where a stray ember puts a burn mark on your favorite jacket. Let's hope we decide to maybe address the fire before it burns down the tent, the countryside and the neighboring city.

Edit: To be clear, it was obviously intentional and wrong. I mean that it ever had a chance of working was because he happened to exist in a time of peak nationalism. I don't believe that we've always been quite so susceptible to "othering" combined with the technology to enforce strange complicated invasive processes by which to exclude refugees and legal visitors.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

Yeah this is exactly why isolationist, nationalist, racist policies only hurt the country that institutes them. I absolutely foresee an enormous brain drain from the US over the next number of years as these kind of policies get ramped up and aren't curtailed. The chief technology officer of the Indian foreign ministry has already said that stopping H1-B visas is great for India cause it'll keep highly knowledgeable and skilled workers in India and cause a reverse brain drain from US tech companies to India's burgeoning software industry.

Counterpoint is (and this is what stops me from seeing a 1933 Germany-like brain drain) the USA is where the money for research is

Some, perhaps even a lot, Indian engineers may prefer coming to the USA even with all the hassle

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Gator wrote: »

Counterpoint is (and this is what stops me from seeing a 1933 Germany-like brain drain) the USA is where the money for research is

Some, perhaps even a lot, Indian engineers may prefer coming to the USA even with all the hassle

Isn't that money for research a thing they're cutting back on?
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/health/trump-budget-medical-science-huge-cuts/

Basic science is a hard sell to fascists and authoritarians. Mostly because you can't make concrete predictions about the benefits of knowledge that you don't have yet.
    It's why I hear why justifying budget proposal is a bit of a silly game. Oh yes, this antimatter stuff could have uhhh applications for propulsion or energy?
    I mean the real reason is that it's kinda cool and novel and hasn't been fully explored yet, but you know.

It really smacks of financially irresponsible hippie socialism that conservatives hate.
    Like that is a literal argument I've heard. If basic science can't compete in the free market, then it has no place. Well, you probably get why that argument is fucking stupid already. But science is just another casualty of that line of thinking.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Google has a lot of money.

Like, a lot a lot.

moniker on
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Like, a lot a lot.

Google also does not do that much basic research, like being able to hire people from not-the-US and does not have any real reason to do research in the USA.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    By the time this gets to the Supreme Court what are the chances that Gorsuch would rule against the ban?

It's possible. He's not beholden to Trump at all once he's sworn in.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gorsuch is a fan of Hans von Spakowsky, so is probably pretty racist.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Like, a lot a lot.

So the counterpoint is that Google should pick up the slack for all the various grants and research facilities that the US government is shutting down?

I like Google, but they will never be the NOAA, or the DoE, or the USDA, or the FDA, and I really wouldn't want them to be the ones in control of where the money goes.

And the problem isn't just the money, or throwing money into a big pot marked "research". Projects and programs, when they're shut down, result in loss of data and complete failures in cases of long-term research programs and studies. When they shut down facilities, you can't just pick up where you left off at a new place under new management doing the same thing you were before.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

Like, a lot a lot.

Google also does not do that much basic research, like being able to hire people from not-the-US and does not have any real reason to do research in the USA.

They don't do much research, but the salaries and investors available are still a large draw and a countervailing force to brain drain independent of the NSF &c. Research may be fucked, but that doesn't mean we won't be a draw for scientists and engineers otherwise.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Like, a lot a lot.

They don't do much research, but the salaries and investors available are still a large draw and a countervailing force to brain drain independent of the NSF &c. Research may be fucked, but that doesn't mean we won't be a draw for scientists and engineers otherwise.

Your big assumption here is that Google et al. will keep their research activities in the USA. They already have labs in other countries, so they can just relocate new hires there.
    Also, relocating to the USA is significantly less interesting than it used to be. Why risk having visa issues when you can go somewhere else ?

• Options
    Just going to say that Germany and China are probably going to be plenty happy to take up the reins of scientific primacy.

• Options
    Medical science has been shifting from government to device and drug companies for a long while. It's already an extremely bad idea to do science without a business plan or a business sponsor. I'd say we are about done with the idea of using science to pursue truth over the dollar

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Like, a lot a lot.

Your big assumption here is that Google et al. will keep their research activities in the USA. They already have labs in other countries, so they can just relocate new hires there.
    Also, relocating to the USA is significantly less interesting than it used to be. Why risk having visa issues when you can go somewhere else ?

Yeah, it's pretty easy to live as if you were in America no matter where you are in the world. It may just take more, and sometimes less, money to do so.

Globalization and the information age is a bitch like that.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/health/trump-budget-medical-science-huge-cuts/

Basic science is a hard sell to fascists and authoritarians. Mostly because you can't make concrete predictions about the benefits of knowledge that you don't have yet.
    It's why I hear why justifying budget proposal is a bit of a silly game. Oh yes, this antimatter stuff could have uhhh applications for propulsion or energy?
    I mean the real reason is that it's kinda cool and novel and hasn't been fully explored yet, but you know.

It really smacks of financially irresponsible hippie socialism that conservatives hate.
    Like that is a literal argument I've heard. If basic science can't compete in the free market, then it has no place. Well, you probably get why that argument is fucking stupid already. But science is just another casualty of that line of thinking.

None of this addresses my original point

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_research_and_development_spending

Even with all the catastrophic trump budget cuts, the us would be in a much better position than India

Indian engineers are not going to stay in India because there's no money for research there

One should remember the present Indian national government is to the right, and is perhaps even more racist than, trump's

Declarations by agents of modi's governments should be treated with the same respect due to Sean splicers'

This discussion has been closed.