As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Powershell (begrudgingly, because I use it at work, an I'm an old Perl hacker)
    vim (I've actually never used emacs, though. Did have to use ed once, though.)
    Hard G (Literally and figuratively, *wink*)
    IPv4 (but yes IPv6 is probably needed)
    Aw-TOM-uh-tuh (not auto-mah-tuh)

I know some heathen that says Aw-TOM-ay-tuh.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    @bowen if it's (j)if do you use (j)it for your version control?

Edit:

Bash

Vim

Hard G

IPv4
    the same way I drink my ghin

Pedantry: "Gin" is a shortening/corruption of older "genever", with a soft g due to derivation from the Dutch "jenever". As such, it's really a special case that can't be used as evidence in the g-wars either way.

like I posted earlier, the hard G is for, mostly, germanic words

initialisms/acronyms are not germanic words

Pedantry, I said! Pedantry!

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    So's my fjord-j-g-gif, although they're not mutually exclusive if you visit the right forums.

...... Yiff..?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    @bowen if it's (j)if do you use (j)it for your version control?

Edit:

Bash

Vim

Hard G

IPv4
    the same way I drink my ghin

Pedantry: "Gin" is a shortening/corruption of older "genever", with a soft g due to derivation from the Dutch "jenever". As such, it's really a special case that can't be used as evidence in the g-wars either way.

like I posted earlier, the hard G is for, mostly, germanic words

initialisms/acronyms are not germanic words

Pedantry, I said! Pedantry!

I'll cut everyone

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I've never used SCCM but one of my coworkers won't stop extolling its praises.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i have to say this thread can be very humbling sometimes. which is good because on a daily basis i question how the fuck humans made it this far as a species. it always seems like it is despite our best efforts. not to say i am any sort of genius...but holy shit

users

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I've never used SCCM but one of my coworkers won't stop extolling its praises.

It is simultaneously the best tool I've ever worked with and the worst tool I've ever worked with.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A client today couldn't get their new printer working with their computer. Fuck printers.

DriverAssist, DriverUpdate, and DriverSupport all installed, and some bullshit tweak program. Some weird driver for the printer that definitely wasn't even the right brand. Print server settings holding onto that driver for dear life.

Also buried in the pile of shit? Coupon printer!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also, Notepad++ is civilization.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Neat!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    Considering the last few pages, I hope that everyone appreciates the first panel of today's strip:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2017/03/20/face-value

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Happy Monday.

Let's see what fires occurred over the weekend.

"Symantec says our trial license has expired!"

Do you have a license key for it?

"Yeah, and?"

*bangs head on desk*

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Next file extension holy war: .jpg or .jpeg?

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I've told all my friends that only users get this shit wrong, and I hope you all don't let me down.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

.png

• donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    That_Guy wrote: »

.png

Exactly. We're more than 15 years removed from the '90s now. PNGs don't artifact, and there was a brief moment in time the standard flirted with animated PNGs.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    .tiff or .tif

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »
    .tiff or .tif

.tiff or I start stabbing

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    .pcx or nothin.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    donavannj wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

.png

Exactly. We're more than 15 years removed from the '90s now. PNGs don't artifact, and there was a brief moment in time the standard flirted with animated PNGs.

If you're building websites, you're still going to use jpgs for photos.

ur moms a jpeg

.tiff or .tif

.tiff or I start stabbing

oh man. So I don't remember which way, but I worked at a place where we had an issue where an image import tool only imported to tiff, and then the software that was reading the image only recognized tif. neither could be changed, and the tool to read the file would error if it was tif. We contacted the developers of both programs and both sides blamed the other and neither actually wanted to fix their shit.

We were testing some kind of document bulk import thingy, can't remember exactly what as this was like 7 years ago, and we actually had to abandon it because of this issue.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    it takes all of like

half a second to add in another extension to a list of extensions

.tiff or .tif

I've told all my friends that only users get this shi-

*Multiple stabbing sounds*

3rd time this month the same bank has called in and complained that their HDD is full.

3rd time this month I've told them YOU NEED A BIGGER FUCKING HARD DRIVE BECAUSE YOUR 40-50 GIG HDD IS NOT GOING TO BE ENOUGH.

3rd time this month they're like "well, we'll worry about that when we get to it."

YOU'VE GOTTEN TO IT. YOU'RE THERE. THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO FOR YOU. GET A BIGGER FUCKING HARD DRIVE.

OH HEY GUESS WHO JUST OPENED ANOTHER TICKET.

philosoraptor:
    if someone says ".tiff format" are they being redundant or did they actually say ".tif format"?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    philosoraptor:
    if someone says ".tiff format" are they being redundant or did they actually say ".tif format"?

I will stab you for him.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    it takes all of like

see this is why you powershell everything you can
    since devs will never go back and fix even the easiest things :P

it takes all of like

yeah that's something a batch script can do too!

it takes all of like

yeah that's something a batch script can do too!

true!

but you can make more functions with powershell than with batch, so less things that need to use vendor software or internal dev resources

ur moms a dev resource

ur moms a dev resource

ur moms a powershell

Our SIP provider is down. On a Monday morning.

I was just told, jokingly, that this was my fault. My response:

"It's a Monday morning. Am I the villain or the hero in this scenario?"

Just pondering how I'd fix the tif/tiff thing... I would set up a scheduled task that runs every minute to rename every tiff to tif in a given folder
    so, export into C:\imagedump, by the time you launch the import tool the files have the correct name.

mmmm hacky bullshit

edited March 2017
    Just pondering how I'd fix the tif/tiff thing... I would set up a scheduled task that runs every minute to rename every tiff to tif in a given folder
    so, export into C:\imagedump, by the time you launch the import tool the files have the correct name.

mmmm hacky bullshit

Again, the details are foggy, but if I remember correctly we were uploading directly into some document control system where it really didn't have filesystem access. The idea was that the place I was working was going to transition all of the paper records into digital ones that were document controlled and were OCR'd so it could be searchable. So that solution wouldn't have worked anyway, even if that was a path we wanted to go down.

wunderbar on
    Filesystem watcher in .NET would be what you want

actually I think the first thing I would do is dig around for configuration files/registry settings in the thing that exports the images

wouldn't be the first time I've been stonewalled when the answer was changing a single char in a text file somewhere

(I think this happens when people get assigned some legacy code they didn't write and just say "no you can't change that" instead of taking the time to look at how the thing even works)

lol @ when programs store configuration data in the registry

current ticket:

OUR USB BACKUP OF CRITICAL DATA IS TAKING 7 MINUTES TO TRANSFER A GIG.

Yes, it does.

This discussion has been closed.