As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Xanathar's Guide to Striking a Nerve

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    Any thoughts on knighting ceremonies? Our group just leveled up and our paladin has done a local baron a great boon. I think he may have earned knighthood.

The nobility in question is Frankish in influence.

Make it a big fancy affair. Take some time to describe the court, the environment and ~due to the traditional oaths of loyalty that go with knighthood~ what duties the knighted character is expected to uphold in return for the title. For added effect, see if you can work the other party members in to help either as officals or entertainers so that it doesn't just turn into an extended jerk off session for your paladin (I,E.: Bards can list his accomplishments and/or act as minstrels, a rogue could act as an acrobat/juggler/fool, a magic user could razzle dazzle people, fighters could attest to his skill or act as an honor guard ect.

After that, consider giving him something nice; plate armor, a warhorse or maybe even a minor magic item of some sort to show the respect that the Baron has for the character.

• Destrokk9Destrokk9 Registered User regular
    Or, if the campaign takes place in the same local area, you could give them land, or a manor even to rest during the campaign. I think that would be pretty cool to do for campaigns. The only thing is, I want to implement this, but I don't know how to go about Planar travel and have a home base... Maybe a pendant or scroll that teleports you back to the safehouse? But the question is, how would you get back to where you were? Make it a two way portal?

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    The character isn't going to accept anything. He likes his battered old armor, and only begrudgingly accepted his magical sword because it was a gift from his father. He's got no interest in lands or nobility unto itself. He'd just turn it over to his Order.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The character isn't going to accept anything. He likes his battered old armor, and only begrudgingly accepted his magical sword because it was a gift from his father. He's got no interest in lands or nobility unto itself. He'd just turn it over to his Order.

Give him responsibility. Actual legal authority and obligations to and the like.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish

Give him responsibility. Actual legal authority and obligations to and the like.
    He's been charged with responsibility for a necromancer (another member of the party). Like I said, the only thing I really have left to give him is his recognition as a knight.

He's been charged with responsibility for a necromancer (another member of the party). Like I said, the only thing I really have left to give him is his recognition as a knight.

Oh, I meant as an actual legal authority. Like medieval Judge Dredd which is vaguely appropriate for the period D&D takes place in. It's a soft reward but would color how pretty much any non-noble NPC would treat him so it easy to fluff up as the DM.

Oh, I meant as an actual legal authority. Like medieval Judge Dredd which is vaguely appropriate for the period D&D takes place in. It's a soft reward but would color how pretty much any non-noble NPC would treat him so it easy to fluff up as the DM.
    Unlikely to stick, unfortunately. As the emperor's illegitimate son, there are bound to be challenges to any authority granted to him.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Unlikely to stick, unfortunately. As the emperor's illegitimate son, there are bound to be challenges to any authority granted to him.

Isn't that a good thing? Narratively speaking, of course.

steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    If it's known he wouldn't be a knight anyway. So either don't knight him, or give him the responsibility.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Give him a new task, that requires responsibility.

Tell him he needs to set about creating a new order of knights, a strong order of good and pure knights that need training and etc..

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Destrokk9 wrote: »
    Or, if the campaign takes place in the same local area, you could give them land, or a manor even to rest during the campaign. I think that would be pretty cool to do for campaigns. The only thing is, I want to implement this, but I don't know how to go about Planar travel and have a home base... Maybe a pendant or scroll that teleports you back to the safehouse? But the question is, how would you get back to where you were? Make it a two way portal?

AQI Actually had something like this; The Darkmagic Clan's manor was effectively an interplanar vessel capable of travelling anywhere in the cosmology (I suspect that this was an excuse to get them into 5th's forgotten realms).

Something like:
    "Due to your displays of dedication and skill, and for cleansing the land of those who would seek to disrupt our peace, I hereby anoint you Sir Batman of the Order of the Broken Shield. Unfortunately, this title comes with a duty. Because of the threats looming around us, you will be required to find, recruit, and train new knights to fill this order. These should be knights who you believe show valiance or bravery, as well as honesty."

It gives you a wide open hook for bringing in new NPCs for him to interact with as he goes on future adventures, too.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Well, I wasn't going to say this but:
    Just have a dragon eat the baron in the middle of the knighting ceremony.

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular

While you know that, does the baron know? Being granted stuff like land is a huge honour, so if he gives it away again that gives you a ton of RP possibilities from the Baron. Who'd probably be disappointed that the character would just give away this pricely gift. And while he might be fine with a knighted paladin on his lands, he might not be fine with an order of knights/ paladins swooping in and basically challenging his rule.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Knights used to have to spend a night awake in prayer and contemplation before their ceremony

So, you know, he won't have his full hit points back

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    So, I guess to put this in full perspective, said character is a Paladin of the Order of the Burning Heart, sworn to fight demons and undead and "evil." He grew up a baker's son in a holy city and enlisted in the Order as soon as they'd take him (which was 15). He's in his early twenties at the time of the adventures and people have only just begun to realize he could be the emperor's illegitimate son. Which is a big deal, because the emperor has no legitimate children. (Several known illegitimate daughters, though.)

The character perceives his vows (poverty, duty, service) as incompatible with ruling the empire and has made it clear to his father's agents he's not interested in taking up the mantle of Wyrmfriend. It was an epic struggle of wills to get him to accept the sword his father had sent for him.

Orders are powerful organizations in the game, with political clout in the holy city and in the Imperial capital. They are capable of (on their own) granting knighthood to members who've accomplished something of import. I'd been planning on having the Order knight him after they resolved the current plot line (necromantic curse on the countryside), but he made several canny decisions during a political power struggle in the barony and finally asked the group's assassin to kill the sitting baron because he was abusing the people. (He felt it was in line with his vow of service. I'm not arguing; it will have consequences somewhere down the road.)

The group was just joined by another member of an Order, this one's a monk. This character is already knighted thanks largely to the actions that allowed her to depart her monastery (wrote an awesome backstory full of itinerant kung fu monk awesomeness for me to mine -- plus the addition of "Sir" to her appellations renders an excellent pun).

The paladin (who is a Brother Inquisitorus of his Order), with the assistance of the necromancer he's responsible for, investigated the murder. At the time he didn't realize the assassin had conducted it because he didn't know the assassin had uncovered another assassination plot and disguised his work with it. See, the cultists who worship demons had infiltrated the baron's guard and were going to summon a demon lord (minor) to possess the baron. The assassin completed the ritual as outlined in a letter explaining the whole scheme (rolled a natural 20 looking for a way to cover up the assassination) but a day earlier than it should have been. During the investigation they discovered that the baron had no idea who'd killed him (so he couldn't gainsay the assumptions of the letter), and that he hadn't prepared a Last Will and Testament, which meant that the well-liked seneschal was able to reclaim the barony.

They pulled it all off and nobody realized it except the High Elf Bard (and in this setting Bards are like the Harpers -- a loose network that uses songs to convey critical information), who doesn't seem interested in clearing any of the misconceptions in play up. He shared the song he'd composed about it with the group's (Dark Elf) Bard, and while she realized there's no way he could have known the details he included unless he was at the murder, she hasn't decided whether he did it himself or not.

Needless to say it was an awesome session and I want to reward the paladin for wholly embracing the "Good is dumb" trope.

Oh look, the D&D Beyond Beta has started.

By started I mean they have a compendium with the stuff that is in the SRD up, so, okay. They have a spell search engine. It has a "tags" thing that doesn't use the tags that are actually in the game like ritual. Admittedly, the tag thing might be sorta useful it just annoys me they skip the one that is actually in the game. Nothing that you couldn't get on any of a bunch of other websites better.

Also apparently you log in through Twitch because that totally makes sense.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

By started I mean they have a compendium with the stuff that is in the SRD up, so, okay. They have a spell search engine. It has a "tags" thing that doesn't use the tags that are actually in the game like ritual. Admittedly, the tag thing might be sorta useful it just annoys me they skip the one that is actually in the game. Nothing that you couldn't get on any of a bunch of other websites better.

The magic item viewer is kinda shit too, because it listed every version of a given type.

So the first page(20 results) for Magic Armor are

8 different Adamantium Armors(Chain, splint, plate, half plate etc..)
    Animated Shield
    11 Different Armor of Acid Resistances

Then the next page is one last Acid Resist ; followed by the Cold x12, Fire x12, Force x12, Armor of Invulnerabilty, Lightiningx12, Necrotic x12, Posion x12, Psychic x12, Radiant x12, Thunder X12, And then there are the +1/+2/+3 versions of every type of armor.

It's 10 pages long, and there are really less than 1 page worth of unique things in it.

Same issue with weapons. Everything that specifies a weapon type(aka sword, cause its always sword) has 5 different versions.

e:The twitch thing doesn't really bother me, Curse(Division of Twitch, Division of Amazon) is who is actually making D&DBeyond. Don't really need yet another one site login.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    e:The twitch thing doesn't really bother me, Curse(Division of Twitch, Division of Amazon) is who is actually making D&DBeyond. Don't really need yet another one site login.

I was wondering about this, so thank you for helping me understand! That said, using a Twitch login, for a D&D site, when there's literally no outward-facing link between the two, feels really shitty and skeezy to me.

That said, I logged right in, and I guess it works, so....whatever?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Yea, I did not know Curse was owned by Twitch/Amazon. That's actually about a whole staircase up from where previous Wizard programming efforts have been.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    For anybody wanting more info on D&D beyond, the product lead posted this on reddit.
    I'm Adam Bradford, DDB product lead for Curse. I'm flying back from PAX today, but I'll give a brief reply between flights.
    A few things that I can hopefully clarify here:
    D&D Beyond is a responsive web application that can work on any device - definitely not a desktop client or mobile app only available for iOS or Android. We care a great deal about offline capability, and you'll be able to access your characters, etc. just fine on the terrible WIFI at those conventions. :)
    The DDB toolset is being developed by Curse Media and is not a directly tied to the former Curse App that was recently shared has become the Twitch App.
    At launch, players will be able to access SRD content and build and view a small number of characters with a free D&D Beyond account. We don’t have exact pricing nailed down, but you will also be able to buy official digital D&D content for all fifth edition products with flexible purchase options. You can pay only for the D&D content you need. If you only play fighters, for example, you’ll be able to just pick up the stuff you need to track swinging that giant two-handed sword. This is NOT a microtransaction model - we aren't forcing anyone to buy the content in small chunks - it can still be bought all at once. It's all just flexibility.
    A small monthly subscription will be needed to manage more than a handful of characters and to enable more advanced features, like homebrew content integration. At this time, we don’t know exactly how much the subscription will cost, but please continue to check dndbeyond.com for the most up-to-date announcements and information!
    I can't share much else yet, but we're terribly excited to get this into players' hands for the beta very, very soon. Thanks!

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Both the spells and the magic items have advanced filters in a tab under the standard ones. Ritual is a yes/no choice for instance.

Question about the D&D beyond thing. Is it a simplified character builder? Or is it something else?

Eventually it'll be something like roll20 in it being a 1 stop shop for all your d&d needs. Character builder, encounter builder, rules reference, spell and item databases and more. It's in beta and being rolled out in 3 stages, with this first stage just being (I think) stuff already available for free. The second and third phases are the ones to really look out for.

Also to keep in mind we don't know the pricing structure yet. It's all free during the beta but monthly subscriptions and/or separate book purchases to add to the base rules (like if you want to make use of anything in Volos Guide you'd have to purchase it through the system). They're being tight lipped about that info.

Thing is though, if you know how to make characters with the books and pencil and paper, I don't see a major use for D&D Beyond. Personally, I will pass on it.

Like I said, it is more than just a character builder, though if you're not the DM it doesn't really matter.

Fair enough. I guess it can be a bit more welcoming to new players and to people who are still learning. No problem in that.

Personally I use MPMB's Character Generator for all my character sheet needs.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Thing is though, if you know how to make characters with the books and pencil and paper, I don't see a major use for D&D Beyond. Personally, I will pass on it.

Even as a seasoned DM, having done many tens of character builds for various purposes, I'd still love to have a digital tool that takes that time down from 10-20 minutes to five or less.

I did this extensively with the 4E tools, and loved everything about it. Wizard's 4e tools weren't perfect, but they absolutely made it easier for me to prep for games. I hope Beyond gets 5e to that point.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I won't disagree with that. But at the end of it all, it is personal preference.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Nips wrote: »

Even as a seasoned DM, having done many tens of character builds for various purposes, I'd still love to have a digital tool that takes that time down from 10-20 minutes to five or less.

I did this extensively with the 4E tools, and loved everything about it. Wizard's 4e tools weren't perfect, but they absolutely made it easier for me to prep for games. I hope Beyond gets 5e to that point.

being able to access the monster manuals, change the monster stats as required to exactly fit the encounter, and print them out was fucking magical back in 4E. I hope we get that same kind of functionality with these ones.

Also, check this game out and drool at the thought of something like this for a virtual tabletop for D&D and other games. I can dream...

https://youtu.be/QhcEtOhzHVc

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Question about the D&D beyond thing. Is it a simplified character builder? Or is it something else?

Right now in phase 1 of the beta, there is this stuff:

- a rules compendium so basically all the SRD rules put together for you.
    ZMbvZhn.png

- List of spells, including a bunch of handy filters
    yUTBBOl.png

- Same thing as spells above but for items

- Same thing as spells/items but for monsters

Phase 2 will have the character builder and character sheet.

Phase 3 will have homebrew integration and campaign management.

If the campaign management tools have quality encounter building tools, it'll be really useful to GMs I think. I don't play the game any more, and IMO this is years too late to be of value to me, but I guess if I was still playing this edition then I'd still be happy to get this stuff even after the wait.

Though I will eat a shoe if they actually have the ability to level up/down monsters in the GM tools, which would be super useful and I think 4E's tools had that? 5E's monster math is based on average offensive and defensive stats, and while technically they could just take the existing monster and move everything up and down based on the already determined average, I do not believe it will happen.

Does it have additional books or does it only include information about spells from the PHB/DMG/MM?

I've been using an android app that has spell tracking in it but it got taken down pretty soon after it was put up - I'd like to get some of the splat books in a mobile form.

edited March 2017
    Right now, the only content it has is what is in the SRD, so not even everything that's in the core rulebooks. After testing, they're going to start charging for official content. The product lead suggested that you'll be able to buy only the content that relates to a specific class if you want, etc. You'll also be able to buy access to entire books and such, ala roll20 or fantasy grounds. There's also going to be a subscription model of some sort, but they aren't giving details yet.

Joshmvii on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I like a good digital character sheet simply because my handwriting is horrendous. Throw a bunch of erasing on top of that and the sheet turns to illegible shit real quick. 3rd editions skills were always a nightmare on this front. By about level 7 my rogue had +graphitesmudge to every thing.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Given WotC's history with digital tools, Phase 2 will never come out of beta, Phase 3 will never come out at all, competing third-party tools will be hit with C&Ds, and then just as Phase 1 (maybe 2) gets really solid it will be time for D&D 6E and all the digital tools will be abandoned, though you're welcome to keep paying your subscription.

But man those bullshots will look awesome pretty good okay I guess.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I like a good digital character sheet simply because my handwriting is horrendous. Throw a bunch of erasing on top of that and the sheet turns to illegible shit real quick. 3rd editions skills were always a nightmare on this front. By about level 7 my rogue had +graphitesmudge to every thing.

Listen man, maybe I'm old, but your character sheet was not legit unless it had potato chip grease stains, brown wrinkled spots from spilling cola on it, a burn mark from where the heater of the joint fell out...and yes, terrible eraser marks and even maybe a worn hole in the page where your HP used to be. :D

Steelhawk on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Given WotC's history with digital tools, Phase 2 will never come out of beta, Phase 3 will never come out at all, competing third-party tools will be hit with C&Ds, and then just as Phase 1 (maybe 2) gets really solid it will be time for D&D 6E and all the digital tools will be abandoned, though you're welcome to keep paying your subscription.

Curse is pretty good about putting stuff out. I used to use Curse Voice all the time and it was pretty goddamn great.

wbBv3fj.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »

Curse is pretty good about putting stuff out. I used to use Curse Voice all the time and it was pretty goddamn great.

That's a point in their favor, but I remain pessimistic. I'm just an old curmudgeon now when it comes to digital promises from WotC (even if it is via a third-party developer).

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Listen man, maybe I'm old, but your character sheet was not legit unless it had potato chip grease stains, brown wrinkled spots from spilling cola on it, a burn mark from where the heater of the joint fell out...and yes, terrible eraser marks and even maybe a worn hole in the page where your HP used to be. :D

My Level 6 character sheet for the D&D game I'm in ended up with a coffee cup stain on it and I was straight up thrilled. Between that and the random folds and erase marks I just felt so old school. It was awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.