As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 9.0] Patch/Season 4 live! Introducing new hero: Orisa!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the buff that would be real fuckin good for junkrat is if they increased his projectile speed by 30% but kept everything else the same

it would extend the range that you can skillfully plonk people with grenades significantly which would really help his midrange difficulty in hitting erratically moving targets

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think with these changes Lucio probably has gone from the easiest support to play to probably the most difficult.

At the least second to Ana.

Like I've always argued Lucio had a high skill ceiling but the floor was so low you didn't have to engage with it.

Now the floor is probably gonna be pretty high.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think a projectile speed increase would be fine on junk, but it would kind of make him look wierd.

Like he is literally lobbing balls. If they went faster and kept the same trajectory it would look like he was manipulating time.

One of the best junkrat players out there though basically thinks the only thing needing touched is the health on his ult. Like to 150, basically put it out of one shot range of all the high damage projectiles (mainly a fire strike from reinhardt)

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Half of what you said is impossible with him i have seen happen with my own eyes. Good players do indeed know where his bombs are going to bounce when shooting short to medium range and nail shots with consistency.

A lot of what you are saying just sounds like the riff raff that gets parroted around without actually knowing it. Like you say he is screwed if uses his mind to leap into the other side alone? Yeah and who isn't?

Every flanker who is actually any good at it?

Pharah is the comparison we are making:

Walk to edge, get across, peak and check if they are looking your way, is the Soldier in position to target you, etc. Decide if you are going to commit, if not just jet back and you are safe, if you do commit you dive in and kill a support, have they reacted, is Soldier hitting? Boost and use the ceiling cranes to break LOS, then jet back across the gap, if you think they might chase keep going, otherwise use the big health pack and repeat from 1.

But all the other actually good flankers can do the same:

Tracer can blink back or recall to disengage. Genji can just jump back across. The only one with similarly cooldown limited mobility is Reaper.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So havent played since season one and just hopped in to play a few games , felt good. Just need to warm up before I do my placements. Some things felt different like im fairly sure the hook cooldown is longer now but other then that think most things stayed the same.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    I dunno man, you just seem to be trying really hard to paint all the worst situations for him and all the best for her to try to counter the original point of "she secures kills better"

In the end, no, she doesnt. Aiming aside her damage is equal, she shoots slower, and has no other damaging abilities. There is clearly no arguement which character is more "meta" and those reasons are far beyond anything you have mentioned here (which is something a lot of people try to point out but people still insist the meta is the final word on character balance). But in the end, the whole point was about someone trying to say that Pharah feeds healer ults less because she kill confirms more, and the only valid argument against it is that junkrat floods chokes aimlessly as if that is a requirement and not just a decision.

The MAIN reason junkrat is not meta is because, like in most of the cases of best characters, he is not universally the best decision in every case which is why characters like Pharah and Soldier are likely always going to be there. Because plenty of players have overcome all the issues you stated, and it is basically entirely mid level players trying to copy the meta without understanding why that claim he is bad. And honestly, in mid level play he likely is for the reasons I described way back (the point where people aren't good enough to aim with him yet but the opponents are good enough to dodge).

Pretty much everything we have gone over since the first post is semantics. I am just as guilty of this though.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Half of what you said is impossible with him i have seen happen with my own eyes. Good players do indeed know where his bombs are going to bounce when shooting short to medium range and nail shots with consistency.

A lot of what you are saying just sounds like the riff raff that gets parroted around without actually knowing it. Like you say he is screwed if uses his mind to leap into the other side alone? Yeah and who isn't?

Every flanker who is actually any good at it?

Pharah is the comparison we are making:

Walk to edge, get across, peak and check if they are looking your way, is the Soldier in position to target you, etc. Decide if you are going to commit, if not just jet back and you are safe, if you do commit you dive in and kill a support, have they reacted, is Soldier hitting? Boost and use the ceiling cranes to break LOS, then jet back across the gap, if you think they might chase keep going, otherwise use the big health pack and repeat from 1.

But all the other actually good flankers can do the same:

Tracer can blink back or recall to disengage. Genji can just jump back across. The only one with similarly cooldown limited mobility is Reaper.

This. I think it's one of the reasons reaper has fallen out of the meta; he lacks the mobility to scout, confirm kills, and constantly harass supports. Battles are increasingly fluid and positional; it's one of the reasons why a team like Envyus is having trouble right now, because they're a deathball team in a dive world (incidentally, Meta Athena freaking rock at positioning in this meta).

I can often tell if my teammates are any good based on their early positioning. Good aim generally can't overcome severe positional disadvantages (first point Gibraltar comes to mind, as does first point King's Row). People peeking at widows (my personal favorite was a Lucio dying because he wanted to fire a few random shots at the opening doors of KR1), failing to take high ground, walking in front of Rein's shield, isolating themselves without LoS or a clear path to healers, etc. tips me off immediately that things are going to be bad.

That's why flankers like Tracer and Genji are good right now. They can shape the flow of the fight, force the opponent into suboptimal positions, and swoop in to confirm kills and then get out alive. Junkrat can't do any of those things, and he can't consistently counter Pharah, Genji, or Tracer. Junkrat is good at stopping up a single choke point while teams are increasingly going over and around them, often from two directions at a time.

S76 can reposition quickly all the time by sprinting, can shoot at Pharah, and provide healing. McCreee can shoot at Pharah and flash bang combo flankers (although his low mobility really hurts him). It's not that I hate Junkrat, it's that he doesn't really do the necessary things well enough to justify the pick. He really suffers in open combat, and that's the common situation.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Like...yeah. Junkrat has a hard time confirming kills in a way that other characters don't.

He lacks mobility and precision which given the nature of this game are very important to being an effective DPS.

• Options
    I dunno man, you just seem to be trying really hard to paint all the worst situations for him and all the best for her to try to counter the original point of "she secures kills better"

In the end, no, she doesnt. Aiming aside her damage is equal, she shoots slower, and has no other damaging abilities. There is clearly no arguement which character is more "meta" and those reasons are far beyond anything you have mentioned here (which is something a lot of people try to point out but people still insist the meta is the final word on character balance). But in the end, the whole point was about someone trying to say that Pharah feeds healer ults less because she kill confirms more, and the only valid argument against it is that junkrat floods chokes aimlessly as if that is a requirement and not just a decision.

The MAIN reason junkrat is not meta is because, like in most of the cases of best characters, he is not universally the best decision in every case which is why characters like Pharah and Soldier are likely always going to be there. Because plenty of players have overcome all the issues you stated, and it is basically entirely mid level players trying to copy the meta without understanding why that claim he is bad. And honestly, in mid level play he likely is for the reasons I described way back (the point where people aren't good enough to aim with him yet but the opponents are good enough to dodge).

Pretty much everything we have gone over since the first post is semantics. I am just as guilty of this though.

I think I am painting average situations. Pharah's ability to get kills does not depend on luck as much as Junkrat's does. But yeah at this point like... post a VOD of how Junkrat is supposed to be played and I can get one together of how to play Pharah if that will help.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Also, wtf is it with DPS ignoring supports to mag dump at rein's shield? Like, I call it out virtually every game and they say "sure" and go back to mag dumping then screaming "I have gold damage!" without any kills.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Also, wtf is it with DPS ignoring supports to mag dump at rein's shield? Like, I call it out virtually every game and they say "sure" and go back to mag dumping then screaming "I have gold damage!" without any kills.

Counterpoint, breaking the shield is important for enabling many ults.

• Options

Because any good team is protecting those supports with the shield?

If your dps can get to supports without getting shot down or without taking down the tanks protection, then those supports are bad.

I guess unless they are expert flankers.

• Options
    edited March 2017

Because any good team is protecting those supports with the shield?

If your dps can get to supports without getting shot down or without taking down the tanks protection, then those supports are bad.

I guess unless they are expert flankers.

They have open shots at supports. They don't even try, or position to take multiple angles. They just shoot at it pointlessly, ignore flankers, and tunnel forward. And then get salty when I'm Ana dueling a tracer and genji all over me and asking for help.

And again this round. It's a tie game, we have a 1:30 on attack for the win. We just need point A hollywood. We talk ahead of time that we focus the bastion and then the supports. Dva and I take down bastion (i'm lucio ffs). I die in the process. It's 4 v 3 on the point in our favor. Our teammates proceed to derp at the Rein for 10 seconds, ignoring the Mercy and Lucio keeping him up. We lose when the Mercy gets a winning resurrect after their reinforcements come in.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Revenge on horrible players is sweet. Outdueled a toxic asshole who had sworn he was good at widow but we were just bad. Next game, he was on the other team and I outsniped him as Zen, then on defense as Ana. He swapped to support lol

• Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Sounds like it's time for me to figure out how to do the "come to me for healing!" line.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It's partly dumb because in order to do it you have to be aiming at them and if you're going to turn away from the actual fight to look at the asshole spamming it behind you you might as well just heal them and get it over with

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Just press "Hello!"

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think a projectile speed increase would be fine on junk, but it would kind of make him look wierd.

Like he is literally lobbing balls. If they went faster and kept the same trajectory it would look like he was manipulating time.

One of the best junkrat players out there though basically thinks the only thing needing touched is the health on his ult. Like to 150, basically put it out of one shot range of all the high damage projectiles (mainly a fire strike from reinhardt)

im 100% with the projectile speed increase junkrat is a timelord

would be fine with aoe damage on the grenades being reduced or whatever i dont really care

only thing he needs is a way to scrap better and direct hits are his scrapping mechanism

also on a bunch of maps on defense hes pretty fucked up so any buff needs to be something which wont turn him even more into D E F E N C E G O D

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I hate being full of myself when it comes to this game but I know I just salvaged a map into being a draw vs a loss we probably would've otherwise deserved.

Temple of Anubis (aka DE_Dust) we're on attack at first. I roll in as D.Va, Rein and I lead the entry through the buildings on the left. Problem is, none of our team follow and it's us vs the entirety of the enemy team. We lucked out because the enemy Rein made a charge at us, which let me finish him off, and we charge through with our own abilities. It paves the way to a pretty easy point A capture despite the lack of cooperation. I'm sitting at 10 kills, gold medal.

The effort to take point B was a disaster. Once again, Rein and I go in like "okay follow us" and it's just us by ourselves, the team hanging out by the main entrance of the temple rather than following. So we get fucking devoured as ult bait. I realize, even as my team starts to make pushes together, that none of the enemy team is actually dying. None of my "I'm going to self destruct from this direction, so you guys attack from that direction" are capitalized on. Round ends. I'm at 10 kills, gold medal. Holy fuck defense is going to be a disaster.

I was initially going to be Roadhog, because at least with him I can skew the goddamn results of the loss to get personal effort reduction (20 SR instead of 50 or some shit). So one guy over mic makes a Mercy pick, immediately like, "Oh god I don't know what I'm doing." Drafting is ending and people are running out and I say "wait give me Mercy." Thankfully, he turned around and did. Now, I can't say much for point A. We got rolled and the last people standing were myself and Zen. It was the one time I die on defense.

Point B I manage to live the entire match. When the enemy team showed up they blitzed us with their ults, got rid of 3 or 4 of the team, and everyone is panicking over mics. I live. I heal who is around, and start firing because fuck it. Somehow we rally to hold. The enemy team picks a Pharah, we have a Bastion. Our goddamn Bastion decides to sit in a corner, not able to see the direction the enemy is coming from, and thus not able to fire back at Pharah (he was our one hit scan). A minute later I tell him to get out of the corner and recon shoot at Pharah.

He says "fuck you."

He proceeds to live in that corner until, even with me and Zen healing him, he gets easily killed. Finally gets it in his head to relocate, but only one time, and it's relatively out on the open. Our Torb is doing a decent job moving his turret around and it even saved our bacon more than once against that Pharah. But really, I was the goddamn star of this defense round, because aside from healing and damage buffing to secure kills, I pulled out my pistol to secure some kills of our own. Pharah tries killing us with her ult? I shoot her down. Zarya is chasing my team down a hall? I shoot her down. Lucio dancing on the statue to keep capturing? I shoot him down. Rein charging at us on two occasions? I shoot him down. Pharah using her ult to try and kill just me literally? I shoot her down and res 3 of my team (how that wasn't PotG I dunno). Those weren't the only kills I got as Mercy, just the ones that saved our collective asses. And I never neglected healing people when critical to get it done.

So when I heard the words, "Final score," and it was a tie, I gave myself a pat on the back because goddamn it I was a super-star.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    Just press "Hello!"

Okay!

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • Options
    Found an imposter:

4nmsx2q9b9jf.jpg

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Two more stomps tonight after a couple depressing losses last couple days. My SR gain has seemed to level off at around 20-30 though, so guess I'm hitting my area at low-mid gold, unsurprisingly. Most fun moment was babysitting the point (as Lucio) with an Ana while our team was way overextended on Nepal since, again, stomp. A 76 snuck past and tried to ult us, got slept, and then we both loomed over him, waiting for him to stir before unleashing on him. Literally nobody else was in the voice channel, so it was just the unspoken bond between supports and knowing that the idiot was to be woken by grenade, not plinky little sound blasts.

Also accidentally saved the enemy Mercy once by booping a Zarya into the pit she had fallen down. Equivalent exchange or something. I love tanks with just no awareness whatsoever on that sanctum map.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Was watching Stanky play around in PTR and of course his Lucio play is above the norm but I'm actually starting to warm up to the changes.

It seems like you'll be healing less but when you do it'll have a much bigger impact(Also Ana/Lucio is gonna be hell for Winston again).

But I'll have to see how it looks in a real match.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I swear I don't understand people.

Me: Rein push to talk please we can hear you type

Rein: Fine I won't use mic.

Argh.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    I swear I don't understand people.

Me: Rein push to talk please we can hear you type

Rein: Fine I won't use mic.

Argh.

Some people really, really hate PTT, including a couple of peeps here.

But then, there's also plenty of people who hate being around others with voice activation (yo).

(I usually feel like I have the moral high ground because inconvincing yourself for the sake of others is more noble than selfishly wanting to not use an extra keybind. But then we're talking about talking to strangers playing videogames so going with that grandiose a statement is probably overkill :p )

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I can understand it if it's with a set up where it usually won't activate accidentally unless a door slams or something but if I can hear typing or kids in the background that's a pretty distracting experience.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Was watching Stanky play around in PTR and of course his Lucio play is above the norm but I'm actually starting to warm up to the changes.

It seems like you'll be healing less but when you do it'll have a much bigger impact(Also Ana/Lucio is gonna be hell for Winston again).

But I'll have to see how it looks in a real match.

How long does it take Winston to kill a Lucio sitting still with his heal aura on the PTR?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    my second ever match as Pharah in high plat/diamond competitive:

https://youtu.be/EKHjvlbUPa8

I'm a tiny bit sad it wasn't PotG, but guys I THINK I REALLY ENJOY PLAYING DPS SEND HELP

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Winston does like 60 a second I think

So with Lucio heal buff that's like 42 (60-18)

So...about a little under 5 seconds...then you have to add in amp.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh man oh man oh man. Excellent moment as Mercy on the final point of Numbani defense.

It was a back and forth in overtime with the payload only a couple meters away. Our Lucio was bouncing around it like a coked up frog keeping it in place. The other four team members were in a wide circle around it taking pot shots but it wasn't looking good. I shout out "I got rez! Fight on the point or die there!" Just as I respawned I saw their silhouettes all move inward towards the cart at once. They died fighting, I brought them back, and we stole a win.

Those moments are so fucking satisfying. I was so happy I immediately went over to my wife and reenacted the scene.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

I'm a tiny bit sad it wasn't PotG, but guys I THINK I REALLY ENJOY PLAYING DPS SEND HELP

Wow. It's rare to hear her shout that without an immediate "AAAAAGH" following.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh man oh man oh man. Excellent moment as Mercy on the final point of Numbani defense.

It was a back and forth in overtime with the payload only a couple meters away. Our Lucio was bouncing around it like a coked up frog keeping it in place. The other four team members were in a wide circle around it taking pot shots but it wasn't looking good. I shout out "I got rez! Fight on the point or die there!" Just as I respawned I saw their silhouettes all move inward towards the cart at once. They died fighting, I brought them back, and we stole a win.

Those moments are so fucking satisfying. I was so happy I immediately went over to my wife and reenacted the scene.

You killed her and then resurrected her on the couch?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    further to my comments re: DPS

I played more Pharah on Nepal, we were crushing 2-0 cuz they didn't shoot at me at all:

40eforbmm20s.jpg

my first death happened in Round 3 and from then they just kept focusing me down

so I swapped to Tracer in Round 5, who I've never played in Comp but was the best DPS I could play that fit our team's setup

and we won

OMG DPS IS SO FUN

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I played more Pharah on Nepal, we were crushing 2-0, but my first death happened in Rd 3 when they actually started shooting at me

so I swapped to Tracer in Round 5, who I've never played in Comp

and we won

OMG DPS IS SO FUN

Yeah I like playing support but not every match

It's a competitive shooter, sometimes I wanna shoot mans

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Wow. It's rare to hear her shout that without an immediate "AAAAAGH" following.

well in that case you're going to love what happens towards the end of this clip, from a match I was playing with @Seguer

https://youtu.be/bo_ecTd7Y7I

• Options

I played more Pharah on Nepal, we were crushing 2-0, but my first death happened in Rd 3 when they actually started shooting at me

so I swapped to Tracer in Round 5, who I've never played in Comp

and we won

OMG DPS IS SO FUN

Yeah I like playing support but not every match

It's a competitive shooter, sometimes I wanna shoot mans

I still prefer Support I think but it's nice to have a well-rounded roster. Plus I think playing Support makes you a better DPS in some ways.

Like I got that ult off in that second clip cuz I knew precisely when Zenny's Transcendence was gonna end as well as where he was likely to be after it ended.

• Options
    I watch those two clips Viv and I feel so jealous seeing all the support you get in doing your job.

Find a way to play DPS in silver some time, you will never want to do it again.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Super weird thing happened in comp today.

We did a full round of attack on Dorado, then halfway through our defense, someone dropped and my connection got wonky for about 30 seconds. Like 800 ping, lost packets everywhere wonky. No red screen about a teammate leaving and yadda yadda.

Next thing I know, I'm dumped out of the game to the main screen, where it immediately rejoins my game...into Lijiang.

All the same teammates and opponents, but the game treated it as if it was a brand new game. The player who originally dropped before never rejoined, and about 10 seconds from the game starting it then popped up the thing about someone dropping and canceled the game.

Literally never seen that happen or heard of it happening to anyone else. So weird.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

You'll be a genji main soon enough. Enjoy your descent into madness!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I played more Pharah on Nepal, we were crushing 2-0 cuz they didn't shoot at me at all:

40eforbmm20s.jpg

my first death happened in Round 3 and from then they just kept focusing me down

so I swapped to Tracer in Round 5, who I've never played in Comp but was the best DPS I could play that fit our team's setup

and we won

OMG DPS IS SO FUN

Someone is enjoying the dark side a little too much.

This discussion has been closed.