As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TRI-COUNTY WRESTLING: The Road to Fight At The Fair 2017

Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Critical Failures
Are we on? Are we recor

HELLO WRESTLING FANS! This is Tex Scrapple, promoter for TRI-COUNTY WRESTLING--the biggest, baddest, and uh, fightingest, no, BRAWLINGEST promotion in all of Callaway, Runnels, and Hickenbottom counties--with an EXCITING OFFER FOR YOU, OUR WRESTLING FANS.

Wrestling fans, due to the actions of THOSE BOYS IN NEW YORK CITY (piped-in boos) there are a number of open spots on our roster. And thanks to our gracious sponsors at KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN (that's right KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN, IT'S FINGER LICKING GOOD), we will be hosting OPEN TRYOUTS today from 4-630 in the parking lot of the KFC by the High School. Come on down, and join the fun!

Tri-County Wrestling is a lighthearted play-by-post of Nathan D. Paoletta's World Wide Wrestling inspired by things like Southpaw Regional Wrestling and Jumpin' Jeff Farmer.

What's World Wide Wrestling?
WWW is a Powered by the Apocalypse RPG designed to tell stories about Professional Wrestling and Professional Wrestlers--both on-screen and off. You play big archetypal wrestlers who stand out in the promotion--there may be many monsters, but you are The Monster; there are no shortage of veterans in the company, but only you are The Veteran.

What's Tri-County Wrestling?
A local shindy--that's lingo for "shitty independent promotion," the kind of wrestling company that books ramshackle shows featuring awkward local talent, but pretends to aspire to a higher form of entertainment. TCW is the local promotion running in Callaway, Runnels, and Hickenbottom counties, a collection of quiet towns somewhere kind of isolated in America, where WWE and Impact and RoH don't really travel to, so there's a bit of a market for live shows, at least. The time period is ambiguous to suit the needs of the scene or story--think Archer, how there might be smartphones, outdated computers, and references to Jonas Salk in the same scene.

Noteworthy things about TCW:
  • It's been around for ages, as long as the locals can remember, but has never been terribly popular. Has a weekly TV show on channel 69 local access.
  • Marked by an "anything goes" carny sensibility--there's definitely been a mummy at some point. However, even the most absurd of circumstances is treated entirely seriously.
  • There are three title belts--the Tri-County World Championship, their top title; the Tri-County Tag Team Championship, their tag belts; and the Tri-County Open Challenge Championship, which is defended in an open challenge every week.
  • No weight or gender restrictions; everyone fights everyone.
  • Despite being ostensibly set somewhere in the past, somewhere isolated and remote, there are no limits on gender, racial, or sexual diversity, everyone is treated fairly, and there are no racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic gimmicks.
  • TCW is sponsored by the local Kentucky Fried Chicken. Kentucky Fried Chicken, it's Finger-Licking Good!

What do I need to play?
Owning the rules will be helpful, but not necessary. You will need a copy of your Gimmick sheet, and the players Moves, both of which can be found on NDP's website. Geth will handle dice rolls.

Which Gimmicks are allowed?
I'm willing to say any of them--the Season One and Season Two Gimmicks, International Incident Gimmicks, or the core Gimmicks, all of which are available on NDP's website. You might just have to explain what the Ace of TCW, or TCW's Cultural Champion looks like if you choose something weird. And if you choose to play THE FOREIGNER, just keep in mind it should be cartoony and non-offensive.

If we're doing try-outs, does that mean we have to be new wrestlers?
Absolutely not, you can definitely be an elder member of the TCW roster, a new roster member who's been around for a few weeks, or make your big debut this episode. Nothing is off-limits.

Players
  1. Blankzilla (The High-Flyer)
  2. Ken O (The Luchador)
  3. Matev (The Monster)
  4. Crippl3
  5. Reynolds
  6. Nirya
  7. Dyvim Tar (The Clown)
  8. Grunt's Ghosts (The Foreigner)

Once the list fills up, I'll open up spaces for reserve players and alternate characters.

Any questions, hit me up, otherwise, if you'd like to sign up, write !Try-out in your post, and we'll start thinking on characters.

Dex Dynamo on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am at work and will be a bit busy for a chunk of today but still wanna !Try-out

CYpGAPn.png
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    !Try-out
    Sign me up for the Luchador gimmick. Will post more when I'm not on my way to do some day drinking.
    Edit: I do have both books.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hmm, if we can keep the action moving, I'll !Try-Out. If nothing else, it'll help me knock off the ring rust.

Also, a friend of mine helped whip some optional off the air rules we can try for celebrity appearances and what not (Such as promoting Kentucky Fried Chicken, it's finger lickin' good!)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    A little more info on the Gimmicks available (crossed out as Playbooks get chosen):
    • The Anti-Hero: You're the badass the crowd loves, whether you're a face or heel.
    • The Golden Boy: You're the next big thing, the Blue Chipper, the hot prospect.
    • The Hardcore: You fight with tables, ladders, chairs, and stairs.
    • The High-Flyer: You're super athletic, with a penchant for death-defying moves.
    • The Jobber: You're paid to lose.
    • The Manager: You're not a wrestler, but you're in a wrestler's corner.
    • The Monster: You're big, scary, and strong. You might be supernatural, or just a super badass.
    • The Technician: You might not be charismatic, but damn you can go in the ring.
    • The Veteran: You've been at this a long time.
    • The Wasted: You've got style and fans for days, but you've got just as many demons.
    • The Athlete: You're a natural talent, but you're a rookie in the business.
    • The Clown: You're an entertainer's entertainer. You bring the comedy.
    • The Gatekeeper: You're the enforcer. The muscle. The heavy. You've got someone's back.
    • The Giant: You're huge.
    • The Provocateur: You're weird as hell.
    • The Ace: You carry the company on your back. You're the undeniable top star.
    • The Cultural Champion: You're a little older, and are now famous for something outside of the ring.
    • The Indie Darling: You clawed your way up from the indies, and now you've got a shot at greatness.
    • The Luchador: You're a masked wrestler, honoring the history of Lucha Libre.
    • The Shoot Fighter: You've got a legit combat background.
    • The Young One: You're a student, as green as goose shit.
    • The Iconoclast: You're the giant killer, the career-ender.
    • The Time Bomb: Your body is on the verge of giving out.
    • The Foreigner: Look at your SCARY PASSPORT!
    • The Boss: You're the General Manager, the Commissioner, the President, whatever term you want for the on-screen authority.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I'm very tempted to sign up, but I don't have either book.
    I'll put myself in as a provisional !Try-Out for now.

Crippl3 wrote: »
    I'm very tempted to sign up, but I don't have either book.
    I'll put myself in as a provisional !Try-Out for now.

I'm gonna slot you in, and can explain the rules as we go, but if you feel like backing out at any point, no pressure.

Matev wrote: »
    Also, a friend of mine helped whip some optional off the air rules we can try for celebrity appearances and what not (Such as promoting Kentucky Fried Chicken, it's finger lickin' good!)

I do like the idea of The Colonel having a cameo.

edited March 2017
    If this were a less crappy less charming promotion, I'd see about working up a Manager or Boss. As it is, I think we can't afford have got more heart and soul than those gimmicks. I'll play the Monster, Dr. Skull! I'll get a sheet worked. I believe there's also writeable sheets on the website.

EDIT: Well, there's Celebrity Appearances on the show, but more what I meant was like, the TCW Tag Champs and the voice of TCW Chip Wallenbocker (Or whoever) showing up at the local KFC (Try the new Georgia Gold Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken! It's sweet, tangy, and hot!) to promote both businesses and get audience/momentum. It's the Road Mini-Supplement on the website!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm gonna pre-emptively call dibs on the High Flyer

CYpGAPn.png
    EDIT: Well, there's Celebrity Appearances on the show, but more what I meant was like, the TCW Tag Champs and the voice of TCW Chip Wallenbocker (Or whoever) showing up at the local KFC (Try the new Georgia Gold Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken! It's sweet, tangy, and hot!) to promote both businesses and get audience/momentum. It's the Road Mini-Supplement on the website!

Ooh dang I love that

Form-Fillable sheets for everyone! You'll have to write everything in, so use these for reference!

(The designer is great and has most everything you need on the website!)

Season 1 Gimmick Sheets

International Incident Gimmick Sheets

Hail Hydra
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Tex Scrapple is pretty good.

I probably don't have the time to devote to this, but I might follow along.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm down to try this. I'll see about picking up the book when I get on my computer tonight.

All right, character sheet done. The gimmick's wrong, but I don't feel like redoing the whole damn form to correct it. Let me know if there's anything else needed. I've got a work in a bit, but I'll probably monitor the thread between calls and can help field questions about the game!

Hail Hydra
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Man this is hella tempting but I've never played a tabletop RPG before and would probably just be a total liability. Definitely going to keep an eye on how this plays out though.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Man this is hella tempting but I've never played a tabletop RPG before and would probably just be a total liability. Definitely going to keep an eye on how this plays out though.

Dude, it's super easy. You just write what your wrestler's doing (Moves or what they say during a promo) then roll 2d6 like this

Geth, roll 2d6-1

then based on the results, Dex will tell you what happens.

2d6-1 7 [2d6=6, 2]

Hail Hydra
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

I disagree; I think you're a noted expert in the exact strain of shitty wrestling I'm looking to portray.

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    !Try-out
    Sign me up for the Luchador gimmick. Will post more when I'm not on my way to do some day drinking.

I hope this means we get the TCW debut of Senor Bones!

Ken O wrote: »
    !Try-out

I hope this means we get the TCW debut of Senor Bones!

Hahaha. I'm thinking a mariachi themed luchador with many of the same mannerisms.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    !Try-out

Glad I saw the link before I left for work, but I'll have to think up the character once I get back.

uyvfOQy.png
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I.......kinda wanna learn how to play Tabletop RPGs to do this.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I think you and Dyvim would definitely be pretty well suited to this kind of thing.

uyvfOQy.png
    Hell, Dex, if it's all right with you, if both Dyvim and Nirya sign up, I'll withdraw Dr. Skull and put together a manager character to support 1 or both of them!

Hail Hydra
    Hell, Dex, if it's all right with you, if both Dyvim and Nirya sign up, I'll withdraw Dr. Skull and put together a manager character to support 1 or both of them!

That works for me, or we could just have seven players--the game supports up to eight, and being PbP we have a little more flexibility.

Really whatever you prefer.

I should go back to the PACW game and grab all those fuckers and drag them here!

Oh fun times!

Ok, who wants to be my Jannetty I MEAN PARTNER WHO I TOTALLY WONT BETRAY?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    ALRIGHT, THEN, GANG, in that case, I'm gonna mark down @Grunt's Ghosts and @Dyvim Tvar as possible players (feel free to back out at any time if you're not feeling it), and close off sign-ups for now, and we'll move into character creation

So, the first step is for those of you who DON'T have Gimmicks chosen (that's @Crippl3, @Nirya, @Reynolds, Dyvim, and Grunt's), go through the un-crossed Gimmicks in my post above, and choose one that sounds fun to you. The ones crossed out have been chosen by another player (note: The Monster was chosen by @Matev but they've offered to put it aside if someone wants it)

Once we all have our gimmicks, we'll go ahead to the next step

(I kinda wanna do Ace, because it seems like the only one that will allow me to be The Miz, but having a new player as an Ace seems like a bad idea?)

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    Nirya wrote: »
    (I kinda wanna do Ace, because it seems like the only one that will allow me to be The Miz, but having a new player as an Ace seems like a bad idea?)

Nah, it should be fine!

edited March 2017
    You could do an Ace. Most gimmicks aren't too crazy, I'd just avoid the ones like Jobber and manager to start since they aren't typical wrestlers.

I'd also recommend looking at The Golden Boy gimmick, as that might capture some of the feel you're going for as well.

And even if you play it a bit off kilter, that would actually fit the game's tone perfectly.

The Veteran would also be a very good gimmick that folds in Miz' talents.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Yeah, I'm down. Just got home and just got the Core, International Incident, and Season 1 & 2 Gimmicks from DriveThurRPG.

I'm thinking of doing a Foreigner, maybe bring back my PACW character, Boris "The Soviet Bear" Melovic! ALL HAIL MOTHER RUSSIA!

Boris "The Soviet Bear" Melovic
    Gimmick: The Foreigner
    Hailing from: Behind the Iron Curtain!
    Entrance: Russian National Anthem
    Look: Big, Strong, Bearded, and Bald. His outfit is a red singlet with a giant white hammer and sickle across the right side of the outfit.

Stats: Look -1 Power +2 Real -1 Work +1

Role: Heel
    SUPERIORITY COMPLEX: You treat this countries language and customs with derision. Start with (or gain) a manager or aide. You’re only willing to CUT A PROMO with them at your side. The HEEL Move only costs you 1 Momentum if you’re destroying something representing this country.

When you deliberately break your role, you make a turn and switch to it’s opposite. Gain +1 Heat with everyone now opposed to you. You switch your associated Gimmick Move as well.

Gain an Advanced Role via Advances. You can use the Move of the same name. Replace your Role-associated Move with another one from this Gimmick.

FINISHING MOVE
    When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your finisher strong, just as your ancestors did. You gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, it ain’t so easy. Choose: they mock you and you take a liberty, gain +1 Heat with them; or you injure them in your rage. On a Botch, pick one: it’s sloppy, lose -1 Audience and win the match; or you mess up and they sense weakness, you lose the match clean (this overrides Creative’s booking).

WORLD CITIZEN
    You are legitimately from your character's homeland and bring real details in your portrayal. Take +1 Real (Max +3). You cannot also take THIS ISN’T ME!

APEX PREDATOR
    You were born to do this, and everyone knows it. Take +1 Work (Max +3).

HEAT
    On your turn, ask 1 question per other player. When answered, gain +1 Heat with their wrestler.

Who knows more about my “homeland” than I do?

Who would get the biggest boost from beating me?

Who would’ve gotten this gimmick if I wasn’t here to take it?

Who did I first throw through a symbol of my homeland to establish my character?

At the end of a match with someone you have +4 Heat with, gain +1 Audience.
    When you finish a feud, reset Heat to +1.

AUDIENCE +1
    MOMENTUM +1

Hey, thanks @Dex Dynamo . Had a family event today, sorry for the delay. I should have my Gimmick done by the end of the day tomorrow, if not sometime later tonight.
    I'm trying to decide between Shoot Fighter (a dude who used to get in fights in the audience at these shows, but impressed the guys in charge) and Indie Darling (made a name out on the indie scene but ran out of cash/opportunities and had to come back home)

edited September 2017
    El Corrido
    Gimmick: Luchador
    Hailing from: Guadalajara, Mexico
    Entrance Music: A mariachi cover of Rancid's Corazon de Oro recorded by El Corrido.
    Look: When El Corrido first appears he wears traditional a mariachi hat, jacket, and pants. Under the hat is a black half mask (like the Matadores). Once in the ring he removes the jacket, revealing a bare chest. Despite looking authentic, his mariachi pants are tear away; which he pulls off while gyrating his hips in the center of the ring. Beneath the tear away pants are black tights with printing down the legs to match the elaborate silver designs of his mariachi pants.
    Role:Tecnico

Stats
    Look: 1
    Power: -2
    Real: 0
    Work: 1

Audience: 1
    Momentum: 2
    Injury: 0

Finisher: Crescendo. A springboard moonsault double knee drop.

Tecnico: When you demonstrate technical prowess in the ring or make a big deal about respect, spend 2 Momentum and pick 1: gain +1 Heat with your opponent, an ally comes to your aid, win the match (regardless of booking).
    Exotico: A provocative look that stands out. +1 Look
    Tradiconial: You refuse to be seen without your mask. Whenever your mask is at risk of being removed, roll
    +Work if it’s your choice, or roll +Real if it’s someone else’s. Gain +1 Heat with your foe, and on a 10+ pick 2, on a
    7-9 pick 1: you book the next step of the feud, you cover your face in time, you take theirs as part of the scuffle.
    On a Botch, lose -1 Audience, as your mystique is lost.

Common moves:

Heat:
    Who allied with me on my first team? Boris Melovic
    Who just doesn’t understand Lucha Libre? Hedley Turner
    Who thinks I don’t deserve my mask (or overall look)?
    Who is trying to convince me to change my style, my mask, or both? Joe Destiny

Lacy Lee +3
    Boris Melovic +2
    Biggs Tobacco +2
    Lightning +2
    Hedley Turner +1
    Alan Trick +1
    Mister Mad +1
    Carter Francis Bequest +1
    Randy Rammstein +1
    Thunder +1
    Brian Eagleheart +1

Background:
    Carlos Garcia grew up in southern Texas; his first two loves were music and Lucha Libre. Unsure which direction to follow as he got older he did both. His first big break was being signed to Rio Grande wrestling, a primarily Lucha production that ran shows in Mexico and Texas. El Corrido blew up. His flashy style, singing voice, good looks, and playboy attitude make him incredibly popular in the small production. His in ring larger than life persona carried over outside the ring and soon Garcia was spending his nights chasing women and throwing wild parties till the sun came up. He began to think the promotion was beneath him (and in truth it probably was). While RGW champion a backstage altercation with the owner's son (and former champion) ended with a gun being pulled on Carlos. Things backstage continued to sour from there; eventually leading to Carlos being stripped of his title and fired from the company. He bounced from small promotion for a few months before coming to TCW.

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Alright, what should I be buying on the online site for this?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    Just the core book to know the rules. There are PDFs of the different "Gimmicks" online that someone posted above.

I got it off of DriveThruRPG for $10.

The Season 1 & 2 Gimmicks are also Pay as you want, so you can get them for Free, basically.

edited March 2017
    You just need the gimmicks and the reference sheet from the website. But I would throw a few bucks the designer's way since it is a really fun game and deserves the support.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Alright I guess I'm in.

I'm going to go ahead and call The Clown for my gimmick because what could possibly go wrong?

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    Alright, what should I be buying on the online site for this?

The Core Rulebook will give you everything you need to understand the game.

Then you just need a copy of the Move Sheets, which includes reference for all the different things you might do in an episode

and your Gimmick sheet, which you can download from one of the following places (note, you only need to download the one file containing the playbook you want)

Core Rulebook Gimmicks: If you want to play the Anti-Hero, Golden Boy, Hardcore, Monster, Technician, Veteran, or Wasted (Or he jobber and manager but I agree with Matev in that I'd avoid them)
    International Incident Gimmicks: For the Ace, Cultural Champ, Indie Darling, Shoot Fighter, or Young One
    Season One Gimmicks: For the For the Athlete, Gatekeeper, Giant, and Provocateur (@Dyvim Tar this also includes The Clown)
    Season Two Gimmicks: For the Iconoclast or Time Bomb

with those three things in front of you, you should have everything you need to play.

Aight, I bought some books. Probably going to go with Ace, and y'all are getting my Ric Flair impersonator.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    Aight, I bought some books. Probably going to go with Ace, and y'all are getting my Ric Flair impersonator.

Woo crispy
    Woo tangy