As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm not surprised the cyberpunk bartender game is a gamemaker game.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Ok, new favourite thing about Nier Automata, which everyone else must steal immediately: The death system. It has a Dark Soulsesque online system where you find other players corpses (and your own) lying about in the world, and can then retreive them, which gives you random bonuses, and repair them, which lets them fight with you temporarily. You can even do this with your own corpses:

bt1a6tmx7rh5.jpg

The best thing, though, is the death messages. Every corpse you find comes with a melancholy sentence describing its death:

9c66ihrjj8ps.jpg

When you die, you get to compose that sentence yourself, picking choices like writing a Dark Souls message. It's brilliant and I want every game to use it.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    edited March 2017
    Ok, new favourite thing about Nier Automata, which everyone else must steal immediately: The death system. It has a Dark Soulsesque online system where you find other players corpses (and your own) lying about in the world, and can then retreive them, which gives you random bonuses, and repair them, which lets them fight with you temporarily. You can even do this with your own corpses:

bt1a6tmx7rh5.jpg

The best thing, though, is the death messages. Every corpse you find comes with a melancholy sentence describing its death:

9c66ihrjj8ps.jpg

When you die, you get to compose that sentence yourself, picking choices like writing a Dark Souls message. It's brilliant and I want every game to use it.

Wedding proposal incoming

Edit: there was a mega man comic I once read were ran's weak and easily replicated body was used to overwhelm enemies through sheer number of corpses.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It was neat the first few times I found a corpse but honestly it's just annoying now. Recovering bodies takes too long but you sort of have to because they have good loot.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

bt1a6tmx7rh5.jpg

9c66ihrjj8ps.jpg

Edit: there was a mega man comic I once read were ran's weak and easily replicated body was used to overwhelm enemies through sheer number of corpses.

I'm 99% certain that comic was Bob and George.
    Just on the off chance that you feel like reliving the nostalgia.

see317 wrote: »

bt1a6tmx7rh5.jpg

9c66ihrjj8ps.jpg

Plague's misadventures had them doom a space station go boom.

Speaking of mega man, I love the megaman x skin for that catgirl thief in Skullgirls

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Mad Max is a good half of a game. The last half is just kind of dull. Doesn't feel like they did anything with upgrading the strongholds or the enemies.

If the game maintained that early "barely scraping by, needing water and gas" sort of feel, it might have been great. But you quickly become OP as shit and none of the resources the game makes you manage end up mattering.

Yeah, I've never found myself wanting for water or gas so far. I've had a backup gas can in my trunk since before I even got to the first stronghold and not once have I needed to use it.

edit: That being said, this game was a hell of a bargain at $5.

You'll want to keep a gas can with you for the balloons that need fuel but don't give you a gas can. I think there was maybe 2 of those.

You only need 1 upgraded stronghold since you can fast travel to it at any time to refill everything. There are some upgrades tied to reducing the threat level in each person's whole territory to 0. I did Jeet's and Deep Friah (his is really easy), but didn't finish the other 2. I probably would have if it weren't for the minefields.

I actually finished up Jeet's areas this morning because I really wanted the fully upgraded harpoon.

I'm having fun taking down the enemy camps. I can see myself doing all of those.

Games in sale on psn. Might have to double dip.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

bt1a6tmx7rh5.jpg

9c66ihrjj8ps.jpg

Ahh the days of bob and George and 8 bit theater. Those were good times.

Killing me softly that I will be unable to crack heads and helms in warband.

Grateful for these checks.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Nier continues to be on track for my GOTY.

I mean, really. Aside from the awesome combat, the interesting setting, the beautiful soundtrack, and the great protagonist, the game gives me a pink ribbon as a quest reward.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Game trailers that are 90% humorous live action unrelated to actual gameplay can kill themselves.

Justice wrote: »
    Game trailers that are 90% humorous live action unrelated to actual gameplay can kill themselves.

What about blood Dragon?

• JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »

What about blood Dragon?

I never watched the trailer. Awesome game, though. That's the damn thing, though, sometimes good games go for the live-action trailer. Form, content, etc. WTF. All I gotta say. WTF.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    My personal rule of thumb is that if a trailer doesn't have gameplay by the 30 second mark, I close the window and never look back.

• MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Anyone buy Nier and NOT like it? Reluctant to drop $60 right now. Edit: but I want to

MadPen on
    3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Nier continues to be on track for my GOTY.

I mean, really. Aside from the awesome combat, the interesting setting, the beautiful soundtrack, and the great protagonist, the game gives me a pink ribbon as a quest reward.

You can also grab a blue ribbon from her sister too.

Unfortunately no way to wear both at once, which is a modding opportunity if there ever was one (behind the six hundred nood 2B mods, one supposes).

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Anyone buy Nier and NOT like it? Reluctant to drop $60 right now. Edit: but I want to

There were still a few discounts for launch as of yesterday when I bought it that lessened the price a bit. But it's grabbing pretty much everyone that tries it so far.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The only reason I don't have Nier is because of Zelda. And Nioh. And Horizon. And Last Guardian. And RE7. And FFXV. And what the fuck we're in like the biggest Utopia of AAA games ever.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The only reason I don't have Nier is because of Zelda. And Nioh. And Horizon. And Last Guardian. And RE7. And FFXV. And what the fuck we're in like the biggest Utopia of AAA games ever.

Yup, same here. Sans Nioh and Last Guardian, i have those to start as well as Wii U stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles, XCX, Bayonetta double pack and both Wii Zeldas. Those are just the games I'm itching to play!

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Don't forget to mention Tales of Berseria if you like RPGs. I mean I was already a Tales fan, but I have seen so many people obsess over that one that it might be the most popular JRPG I have seen talked about in a long time.

I have no idea what I'm going to do tomorrow when Andromeda releases. I am going to be SO CONFLICTED. :o

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Whelp, tonight I bid a sorrowful farewell to Steamworld Heist. Hands-down the best game I've finished this year (oh wait I finished Striker too... Yeah it's still first place, but only just haha). I hope it gets the sequel treatment like Dig some day.

It was getting pretty easy towards the end there with one shooting most dudes, with even the toughest enemies taking two or three shots max to knock over even on Veteran (second hardest) difficulty. But at least Ididn't get bogged down in any one mission more than once or twice, so the flow of new challenges was really nice. Might dabble in NG+ someday with different strats and try Elite difficulty

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Definitely half-tempted to give it a shot, but I have a feeling it'd be mostly games I already own.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Are the contents of the SE box typically set in stone or are they randomized?

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Are the contents of the SE box typically set in stone or are they randomized?

How do you mean? Everyone who buys the mystery box gets the same games, if that's what you are asking. But you don't know what the games are until the reveal. I forget if they give any hints regarding any of the games beforehand.

Here's a list of some past boxes (from reddit):
    2013 Christmas Box (£4.99)
    • Just Cause 2
    • Hitman: Blood Money
    • Tomb Raider
    • Dungeon Siege III
    • discount voucher
    2014 Christmas Box (£4.99)
    • Thief - The Master Thief Edition
    • The Last Remnant
    • Murdered: Soul Suspect
    • Lara Croft: Guardian of Light
    • Deus Ex – The Fall
    • Nosgoth Founders - Warlord Pack
    • discount vouchers
    2015 Easter Box (£4.99)
    • Life is Strange Episode 1
    • Just Cause collection
    • Hitman Absolution Elite Edition
    • Deus Ex GOTY edition
    2015 Christmas Box (£4.99)
    • Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
    • Thief
    • Final Fantasy XIII
    • Life is Strange Episode 1
    • Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
    • discount vouchers
    Easter 2016 per /u/zayth
    • Final Fantasy VIII
    • Final Fantasy XIII-2
    • Quantum Conundrum
    • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut
    • 20% coupon for Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yes that's what I was asking. Making sure there's no value in buying more than one.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I would guess that the NA box contains Just Cause 3. They straight up guarantee it for EU purchases from their twitter.

KoopahTroopah on
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I would guess that the NA box contains Just Cause 3. They straight up guarantee it for EU purchases from their twitter.

NA box has 5 games, EU box is more expensive and only has 4 games. I wouldn't count on it.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I do not trust that mystery box but I'll probably get it anyway for gifting potential.

I buy that box for gifting ammunition, cannot run it

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Has anyone here had any luck running Origin games through a Steam Link? I'm running into a weird issue where it won't recognise my XInput controller as anything but a mouse, and I'm not quite sure how to solve that.

Burnage wrote: »
    Has anyone here had any luck running Origin games through a Steam Link? I'm running into a weird issue where it won't recognise my XInput controller as anything but a mouse, and I'm not quite sure how to solve that.

Steam and Origin do not play nice together in my experience. They used to, but at least for me, they don't anymore.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Steam and Origin do not play nice together in my experience. They used to, but at least for me, they don't anymore.

I wrangled Titanfall 2 to run over a link, but even then I had to have my controller paired to my actual PC instead of the Link to make it happen. It's garbo and EA don't care.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I had assumed Nier was going to get backburned for Mass Effect. But Nier has been real good and buzz on Mass Effect so far is mostly that it's "ok".
    Pro-tip. Maybe wait until you get far enough in the story for quicker travel options before doing a ton of back and forth side quests.

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular

I am enjoying it thoroughly. If you are getting it on PC I have a warning. The settings are not optimized and you might experience terrible framerate, freezes, crashes, white screens, messed up resolution....

However, these can all be fixed. I played through the whole beginning section before you can save with miserable frames and massive slow downs. I was still enthralled. The game crashed at the first save. Normally I'll put a game on the back burner indefinitely for that shit. Not this game.

For a better experience do these simple things:

1. Get Borderless Gaming for free or by paying 4 bucks on steam to support them. It's lightweight and will run the game full screen in windowed mode at your preferred resolution. If you try full screen without this, you will be disappointed.
    2. Turn off the in game AA. It takes a toll and is the culprit for almost all of the framerate and crashing issues. If you want to use AA, look for a third party program to inject AA into the game. I'd recommend a less demanding type of AA.
    3. If your game is still having frame issues or random slow down, use a third party program to limit the frame rate or even the refresh rate to keep it consistent. I'd only mess with refresh rate if the problem is really noticeable.

All of these solutions are fast, lightweight, and likely free. Plus, it can be handy to have this kind of set up or other games with poor optimization.

Game runs smooth on my older PC now and I'm not even using AA. Still looks great. I just did number one on that list and turned off AA. Huge difference. No problems since. I recommend it. Worst case scenario, you can get a refund.

edited March 2017
    Oddly enough, the game does in fact have a post-process AA that actually has pretty good coverage; it's separate from the MSAA options (which are very demanding as stated, and is broken with the postprocess effects, badly mangling pop-in). It's combined with the ambient occlusion setting for reasons. :rotate:

There's a fix for the fullscreen resolution issue if you don't want to bother with borderless window if you're so inclined, which works until they get a patch out. It also has an alternative framelimiter if don't want to RTSS that sucker up.

Zxerol on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

I wrangled Titanfall 2 to run over a link, but even then I had to have my controller paired to my actual PC instead of the Link to make it happen. It's garbo and EA don't care.

I kind of figured this might be the case, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Cheers guys.

edited March 2017
    Fonjo wrote: »
    1. Get Borderless Gaming for free or by paying 4 bucks on steam to support them. It's lightweight and will run the game full screen in windowed mode at your preferred resolution. If you try full screen without this, you will be disappointed.

I thought this only affected 1080p? I mean, I'm playing it at 1440p fullscreen (downsampled to 1080) and I'm not disappointed...

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Sorry for the double-post, I had a break in my schedule and wanted to deliver the goods.

@Gear Girl You win RIVE! Enjoy! Key sent!
    signature.png

Jaunty (was not sure which one this was on the forum, halp!) You win Poly-Bridge! Key sent!
    signature.png

@DyasAlure You get a copy of We Are The Dwarves! Key sent!
    signature.png

Jaunty strikes again! You win a copy of Space Run Galaxy! Key sent!
    signature.png

Radiation13(Another one where I am not sure about the username!) You win a copy of Flat Heroes! Key sent!
    signature.png

Kevko You win a copy of Hopiko! Gift link sent to email!
    signature.png

@DyasAlure Another game for you! Morphblade! Key sent!
    signature.png

@Gear Girl Lots of doubles today. Have a copy of Husk! Gift link sent to email!
    signature.png

@Gear Girl Third time's a charm? Beyond Eyes is yours! Key sent!
    signature.png

Hopefully everything there goes smoothly. That concludes my not-birthday celebration! Enjoy!

Contact me if anything gives you trouble.

This discussion has been closed.