As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: It's (sold) Out!

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    My son and I played Fast RMX together using sideways Joy-cons and it worked surprisingly well.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    A great look back at Blaster Master as a series, including some NES development details and comparisons between the old and new games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4sGoZEQPlU

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    The only thing I've been annoyed with the sideways joycon is for Puyo Puyo Tetris and that's because I'm pretty good at Tetris. The analog stick is a lot harder to be fast with for spins and fast drops. Everything else has been great (and even in Tetris it was just a couple times in a session it really screwed me). It works awesome in Bomberman, no issues at all there. Same with Snipperclips.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I've finally gotten over my phobia that the dock would scratch my screen (goin raw dog no screen protector). It's like I'm playing an RPG and just realized that what I thought was the entire game actually turned out to be just the starting zone.

Edit:

On the topic of Joycons:

My friend and I actually prefer the sideways joycons to the pro controller for things like Metal Slug or Fast RMX. I could see how there might be issues with FPS games though.

On the topic of cases:

Hybrid case + the official mario case = real ultimate protection. The Switch inside the hybrid case fits perfectly in the mesh pouch of the mario case, and its snug enough to where it wont slide around.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    More on the cases, for my 3DS I have a Waterfield Cityslicker. It's pricey but I love it. The black leather looks classy, unlike a lot cases that look to be for babies or advertise the contents. When I get a Switch I plan to look in to the Waterfield case. Worth the price.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I will never be too old for the mario pattern. If I could find that in tie form I would rock it so hard.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The only problems I've encountered using the Zelda Switch case is that people are constantly bothering me. It's always something like:

"Holy shit! Are you the legendary hero?!"
    "Yeah that's me. Just doing some shopping with the kiddo."
    "Sweet man, I'm a huge fan! Could you get me 20 Wildacrasp berries?!"
    "Uh...no, sorry. I'm sort of shopping here...ya know, with my daughter."
    "Oh yeah, cool! I'll be here later when you get them all."

or even worse:

"That's awesome! So I'm part of this big cult and I'm going to have to kill you now."
    "Sigh. Hold on honey, daddy's got to whoop an a, er...butt real quick."

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The only problems I've encountered using the Zelda Switch case is that people are constantly bothering me. It's always something like:

or even worse:

"That's awesome! So I'm part of this big cult and I'm going to have to kill you now."

In the entire history of man, nothing has ever not happened more than this.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dirty wrote: »

or even worse:

Have you ever met @MNC Dover ? This is pretty much his day.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited March 2017
      do you even @MNC Dover bro

EDIT: Oh he edited it so now this just looks weird

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Oh that was in reference to me, haha. I just thought it was a typo. You were quick on the draw, @UncleSporky !

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

or even worse:

I mean, if it was @Handsome Costanza I'd believe they were all trying to either steal or break his system...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
      • Options
        Shadowfire wrote: »

or even worse:

I mean, if it was @Handsome Costanza I'd believe they were all trying to either steal or break his system...

If it were me cantelopes would be falling from ceiling in an attempt to knock my Switch out of my hands.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
      • Options
        MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        My daily life is pretty much summed up in my daughter's expression:

lruoi49b9m93.jpg

Also, the Switch is so awesome. I can't wait to bring it out and play on the go.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • Options
        Funny you mention that as I am considering hiring a team of ninjas to protect my Switch 24/7.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
      • Options
        a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
        Travel "dongle"? Travel dongle. For something "3D printed", I think it could look better.

Number One Tricky
      • Options
        FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
        a nu start wrote: »
        Travel "dongle"? Travel dongle. For something "3D printed", I think it could look better.

What am I looking at?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
      • Options
        StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
        It's a bit of kit that acts as a dock.

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Nice. Good to see that it's possible. I really just want something to let me output the video to a TV on the go. I don't even care if it stays at 720p.

I know Nintendo's officially stance is "durr, safety first. Use our dock." But we all know the real motivator there.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
      • Options
        StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
        I don't think their plan is to sell overpriced docks. There is a Nintendo Tax in play, but I think the real reason is because they don't want consumers fucking up their system with DIY TV play coming up with very bad solutions to charge the Switch while also outputting to the TV.

And yes, I know it's very easy for some of you, but I mean your average consumer that doesn't know much about electronics and probably still has no idea what the hell a Wii U exactly is.

YL9WnCY.png
      • Options
        WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
        Figgy wrote: »

Nice. Good to see that it's possible. I really just want something to let me output the video to a TV on the go. I don't even care if it stays at 720p.

I know Nintendo's officially stance is "durr, safety first. Use our dock." But we all know the real motivator there.

Interestingly, that actually is the Nintendo dock in everything but the acrylic shell. He/She is a redditor that ripped out the guts and gave it a new shell for the same reason I want that. I'd kill for one of those things - I have a friend with a 3D printer so I'm waiting for someone to drop some easy-ish instructions on doing this yourself.

• Options
        jothkijothki Registered User regular
        The real tragedy of the dock is that it prevents the charger from plugging into the top of the device rather than the bottom. Trying to hold a Switch in your lap while charging it is incredibly uncomfortable, and using the kickstand while charging it is flat out impossible.

There needs to be some sort of charging stand that redirects the ports to somewhere more practical while providing a much sturdier kickstand. Ideally it would be flat and lightweight enough to stay semi-permanently attached even when using the Switch as a handheld.

• Options
        Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
        edited March 2017
        Not completely what your after as it wouldn't be practical to hold but someone mentioned using a phone charging dock as a stand like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DKTR37U/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_107_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NDNCB5V8VZVFH5A5R5RZ&dpPl=1&dpID=51pevNVWgiL

Fair warning that's just a random one I found on Amazon so I can't guarantee it would make a decent stand. But so long as it's USB c and has room and enough support for the Switch it should work.

Road Block on
      • Options
        edited March 2017
        jothki wrote: »
        The real tragedy of the dock is that it prevents the charger from plugging into the top of the device rather than the bottom. Trying to hold a Switch in your lap while charging it is incredibly uncomfortable, and using the kickstand while charging it is flat out impossible.

There needs to be some sort of charging stand that redirects the ports to somewhere more practical while providing a much sturdier kickstand. Ideally it would be flat and lightweight enough to stay semi-permanently attached even when using the Switch as a handheld.

The Hori stand lets you charge while using it in tabletop mode. Also your claim of charging with the kickstand deployed being impossible isn't true. There are several ways you could accomplish this, just off the top of my head you could place the switch on top of two side-by-side books with a small gap between them.

Handsome Costanza on
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
      • Options
        Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
        jothki wrote: »

The Hori stand lets you charge while using it in tabletop mode. Also your claim of charging with the kickstand deployed being impossible isn't true. There are several ways you could accomplish this, just off the top of my head you could place the switch on top of two side-by-side books with a small gap between them.

Witchcraft, I say!

• Options
        LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
        Mblackwell wrote: »
        As long as your extension cord is rated to carry the current it shouldn't matter. If it's an extension cord you'd use for a power drill or saw, it should have enough current for the Switch. Also in general the shorter the length of cable the better, but that mostly matters for really high voltage applications where power fluctuations can have terrible repercussions.

Again, barring that you should be fine :D.

Awesome; any way to tell what it's rated? I just grabbed one from the pile.

Since plugging it into the extension cord, it's only been used to charge, rather than play on TV. No fires yet.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
        Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
      • Options
        Also your claim of charging with the kickstand deployed being impossible isn't true. There are several ways you could accomplish this, just off the top of my head you could place the switch on top of two side-by-side books with a small gap between them.

...That's actually brilliant. The kickstand is off to the side and everything.

People say the screen doesn't tip far enough backward with the kickstand anyway, so you'll probably want it raised up on books too!

• Options
        eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
        I play it with the kickstand on break at work just fine.

(She/Her)
      • Options
        PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
        I don't think their plan is to sell overpriced docks. There is a Nintendo Tax in play, but I think the real reason is because they don't want consumers fucking up their system with DIY TV play coming up with very bad solutions to charge the Switch while also outputting to the TV.

And yes, I know it's very easy for some of you, but I mean your average consumer that doesn't know much about electronics and probably still has no idea what the hell a Wii U exactly is.

I mean, all it really needs to do is fork the data and power streams of USB to separate cords. It's not a complicated problem in theory... but actually making the thing requires some technical knowledge to DIY. I'll wait for a third-party solution I can grab on Amazon.

Steam: Polaritie
        3DS: 0473-8507-2652
        Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
        PSN: AbEntropy
      • Options
        SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
        Funny you mention that as I am considering hiring a team of ninjas to protect my Switch 24/7.

Origin story.

The guardians of the switch.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
        XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      • Options
        edited March 2017
        Entaru wrote: »

Origin story.

The guardians of the switch.

I read this as "The gundams of the switch" and imagined my Switch being protected by a team of ninja-like Gundams. It was good. One of them would be the official screen wiper/cleaner, and would have precision robotics to accomplish this task with the utmost care and efficiency. the others turn into a couch and tv. I think I'm straying into Transformers territory now, but whatever.

Handsome Costanza on
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
      • Options
        KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
        There are some people here playing Seiken Densetsu 3 on a Switch.

https://mobile.twitter.com/seiken_pr/status/843658507719127040

• Options
        DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
        Polaritie wrote: »

I mean, all it really needs to do is fork the data and power streams of USB to separate cords. It's not a complicated problem in theory... but actually making the thing requires some technical knowledge to DIY. I'll wait for a third-party solution I can grab on Amazon.

True, I mean, even I could teach my wife, who quit her job to stay at home with the kids, to buy 2k USB3 cables with an HDMI splice and and AC/Cig lighter adapter from Monoprice at a wholesaler price and resell over Amazon at a 500% markup and finally become financially solvent with the ability to pay for home, school, freedom happiness and healthcare and oh wait I need to sign off this forum and register some strategic URLs and patents...

camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
        Kriegaffe wrote: »

Yay! Something that'll never be localized!

• Options
        DracilDracil Registered User regular
        edited March 2017
        Kriegaffe wrote: »

Yay! Something that'll never be localized!

But you can buy it anyway now! And given how long the game's been translated unofficially there's probably enough guides out there to at least understand the game system and the general story.

Also, got Binding of Isaac and several hours just disappeared. Did not expect that, and I actually got pretty close to beating it for the first time.

Dracil on
        3DS: 2105-8644-6304
        Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
        MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
      • Options
        ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
        Once BoI sinks it's claws in, be prepared to never see your family and friends again.

• Options
        KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
        ...And yes, I know it's very easy for some of you, but I mean your average consumer that doesn't know much about electronics and probably still has no idea what the hell a Wii U exactly is.

I still have to explain to people that a Wii U is not a Wii peripheral.

• Options
        NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
        Drez wrote: »
        Has anyone played Afterbirth yet?

Yep, having a great time. For context, I've only played the original Isaac, but the game plays well in handheld and console modes.

• Options
        DrezDrez Registered User regular
        ForceVoid wrote: »
        Drez wrote: »
        Has anyone played Afterbirth yet?

Yep, having a great time. For context, I've only played the original Isaac, but the game plays well in handheld and console modes.

Great! Thanks.

I did play it on the Vita and while I loved it there, it was sometimes sluggish and you could tell the game had difficulties.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
      • Options
        Someone on the Twitter is using the joycon in an interesting way:

Resident 8bitdo expert.
      This discussion has been closed.