As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    In my experience, hitting with an oil urn just before he transforms, then a molotov just after is just about enough. You'll just need to land a couple more swings. That's how I beat him on my first playthrough, and how I still do the fight now.

When he attacks, don't try and dodge backwards out of his reach, as his attack string will just keep going until he catches you. You'll want to dodge through his attacks toward his rear quarter. He'll usually miss and you'll be in a position to punish.

Elendil on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, dodging back is something I've had to break myself of. Some enemies turn pretty quick, but very few can do a full 180 if you dodge into them.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Dodging backwards is almost guaranteed to get you hit for a lot of boss fights. You definitely need to get in the habit now of dodging forward now to save yourself much heartache later.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Dodge into the attack not away from it.

Most bosses and such have lightning quick follow ups so when you dodge out of the first attack you get mushroom stomped by the follow ups

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Gascoigne is one of my favorite Soulsborne bosses, he's such a good barometer for your skill level. First he's a scary badass, then eventually you stomp him like a chump with every new character.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Deans wrote: »
    Gascoigne is one of my favorite Soulsborne bosses, he's such a good barometer for your skill level. First he's a scary badass, then eventually you stomp him like a chump with every new character.

Also has one of the best soundtracks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoyKECQnPw

Just keep practicing your dodging and dancing, don't focus on progressing and just farm and get the feel of it. As you go on you'll soon be able to dodge as if you're tango dancing and it feels great. Vigar Amelia gave me the most trouble though, her wide range and size and cramped room made it really hard to dodge, she made me quit the game for a while.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I beat him. But his second form just felt lucky. I rolled through him and threw a moltav a few times. Still have zero idea what his move set is like in that form since it's very chaotic

Went back and found the cleric beast and have a whole new lamp now. Two actually. So now I'm overwhelmed with choices which is much better than just running across the same bridge 100 times to fight the same boss.

616610-1.png
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Haha just wait till you see what's up next. Talk about choice!

Keep at it. Before you know it it'll be in your blood. The hunt is only beginning...

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Haha just wait till you see what's up next. Talk about choice!

Keep at it. Before you know it it'll be in your blood. The hunt is only beginning...

We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood.

This analysis of how BB is actually an inversion of the Joseph Campbell Hero's Journey monomyth is pretty damn intriguing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glP-gH_n3Yc

(Dark Souls and Bloodborne Spoilers)

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    First few times I raged against Gassy. Every time I thought I was setting up something to put a hurting on him I got shot with that damn blunderbuss. First time I beat him I had help, I'm not proud.

But now... now I can start a new game, and immediately murder him. Praise the moon, coop is where it's at. Where my moonbro's?

steam_sig.png
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Are any of you Bloodbros gonna pick up Nioh here in a couple weeks? Demo was a lot of fun. It's obviously heavily inspired by the Souls games, especially Bloodborne, but it absolutely does its own thing and does it pretty well. Love the atmosphere and gameplay. Great fix.

Are you the magic man?
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yeah, my opinion of Nioh has jumped considerably after every beta they release. It has a surprising amount of mechanical depth and playstyles. It's currently just under Bloodborne in my favorite souls list and I haven't even played the full game yet.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The janky animation turns me off, but Nioh is still excellent.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I feel like I need to share this sense of triumph with someone, and this thread seems as good as any.

I have never played a souls game before. I've had friends rave about them, heard the reviews about them, seen the metacritic scores pour in. But the idea of punishing yourself through death after death just never appealed to me. Then I saw the trailers for Bloodborne and absolutely loved the art style and world of Yarhnam, so I decided to give it a try.

I have never been so angry at a game as I was at Central Yarhnam. I screamed and cursed and nearly broke my controller after dying to that first pack of villagers for the 50th time. I thought the death and lantern system was the stupidest fucking thing I'd ever seen in a game. At one point, I literally took the game out of the system, put it back in the box, and was looking up trade-in values, because I was just done.

And now I've just killed the Moon Presence. I'm not exactly sure when it clicked, but it was probably sometime after finally downing Father Gascoigne. The sense of progression through your own skill was never fun, per se, but just unbelievably satisfying. Experiencing the menacing weirdness of Yarhnam was such a beautiful, sad, strange story, but it was easily one of my favorite gameplay experiences in recent memory.

@Disrupter Hang in there. It's worth it.

rndmhero on
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    re: Nioh
    Probably not. I'm a bit bummed, since it is so close to being something I want, but combos are basically set in stone. I want to link my flying knee into quick attacks into a strong attack, darn it.

Cromarty on
    Feels kinda bad coming in here after a nice positive keep-at-it post just to say "man, fuck these woods."

But man, fuck these woods.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Feels kinda bad coming in here after a nice positive keep-at-it post just to say "man, fuck these woods."

But man, fuck these woods.

It's sort of a low point in the game. I've learned to just embrace it in that there's a lot of cool hidden things in there so at least taking 40 wrong turns should reward you with stuff

If you aren't very familiar with the zone but try to speed run it, it just makes it worse

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I really like the woods now, but its mostly because I've run it enough at this point that I can do it in my sleep and smash and pound and ground those giant snakes into fleshy pink pulp. There, you filthy monstrosities...

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I imagine it wouldn't be too bad after your first time, but being new to it means I'm slowly creeping around corners for an hour or two. I feel like I scoured it pretty clean, but I no doubt missed something.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I picked this up again, determined to finally beat the DLC.

Before diving back into the extra difficult DLC I get a little further into the main game just warm myself up, I am now up to the Wet nurse which seems like a good stopping place to do the DLC.

Man fuck those Winter Lanterns, am I right?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Fired this up on system update 4.5 on a PS4 Pro with Boost Mode. Night and day. It now runs at a solid 30 FPS everywhere. I didn't notice any slow downs even when looking out over large vistas. There are still frame pacing issues, but that's an engine problem not a system power problem.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    The frame pacing issues is a real bummer. It's too bad they never fixed that, because unlike Dark Souls, we don't have the option of throwing this game on a beefy PC to hide the issues.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    I would have traded Dark Souls 3 in entirety, not knowing what was in it, for Bloodborne on PC. Having actually played DS3, I would probably have to throw in DS2 as well to make it fair.

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Fired this up on system update 4.5 on a PS4 Pro with Boost Mode. Night and day. It now runs at a solid 30 FPS everywhere. I didn't notice any slow downs even when looking out over large vistas. There are still frame pacing issues, but that's an engine problem not a system power problem.

It's things like this that keep me thinking about looking into a PS4 Pro at some point. It's just a hard sell to the wife.

"Why are we shelling out $250 for a different PS4?"

"Because in this one I can spin around real fast in pretty areas without it slowing down ever so slightly."

I got the platinum on this yesterday. Then started up a new character immediately for the Return to Yharnam event. You guys should check it out. A hunter must hunt after all.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/5ymy40/psa_return_to_yharnam_event_is_currently_ongoing/

On the one hand, I have wanted to get back into this.

On the other, I have Zelda sitting there.

On the other other, ever since the PS4Pro came out, I don't want to play my PS4 anymore, it feels outdated and abandoned.

Bloodborne is great no matter what, but events like RtY are a great time to do some co-op or pvp that you otherwise wouldn't. Zelda will always be around, and if you have it on Switch you can play it when you can't play Bloodborne, so just do both!

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I bought The Old Hunters when it was priced down on PSN and decided it was about time to get to it. Then I realized I only had six trophies standing between me and a plat for the original game, so I've been knocking those out. Thankfully I had backed my save up to USB before triggering the last boss fight, so I'm getting to do these in NG.

Down to only needing the Beast Claw, Burial Blade and of course finishing the chalices now. Rom was a bit of a shock, as an aside. :)

Follow up: I look back now and laugh at considering Rom a roadblock, for I have now met Blood-Starved Beast v2.0. Eventually I learned how to parry the attacks I could, dodge the ones I couldn't and something something wisdom to know the difference.

It can't be any worse from here on right?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

There's an entire dungeon you have to do at half health.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »

There's an entire dungeon you have to do at half health.

I tell you what, it is really making me appreciate how short the run is back to the boss. :)

Yeah and while the story chalices seem tough now, you can't really say you've beaten the game until you've dived into the level 5 FRCs and gotten the top level runes and gems to max out your character. They are totally unforgiving. Only way through is to git gud.

HeraldS wrote: »
    Yeah and while the story chalices seem tough now, you can't really say you've beaten the game until you've dived into the level 5 FRCs and gotten the top level runes and gems to max out your character. They are totally unforgiving. Only way through is to git gud.

I don't think gitting that gud is likely any time soon. Keeper of the Old Lords just took me about 50 tries.

Granted it only took 3 or 4 after I went and ground out 8 points of Arcane so I could use the beast roar. It felt a little cheap to stun lock her to death but I was in the mood for cheap.

Tips for Oprhan of Kos?

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Tips for Oprhan of Kos?

It's been a while, but you wanna stay kinda close to him, inside the range of his long placenta attacks. I think you also want to dodge... right? I'm not 100% sure about that.

He's tough, but I found it was better to be kind of aggressive and in his face. Don't overreach when attacking, but keep close and hit him hard after you dodge one of his long wind ups.

He's also very susceptible to backstabs.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Defiled doggo - way easier than the Keeper, so on to Layer 3!

Also a really nice, if repetitive, way to get some XP on a super fast loop just before his fight. Kill one guy = 35K and usually some blood vials, reawaken rinse & repeat.

Going for the chalice dungeon trophy has been a heck of a motivator to learn stuff that the base game barely asked me to do. Parrying, for instance, rarely felt like the right call over dodging in the regular game, but I have gotten a crash course in This Is Why You Should Have Learned This since starting the chalices.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tips for Oprhan of Kos?

It's been a while, but you wanna stay kinda close to him, inside the range of his long placenta attacks. I think you also want to dodge... right? I'm not 100% sure about that.

He's tough, but I found it was better to be kind of aggressive and in his face. Don't overreach when attacking, but keep close and hit him hard after you dodge one of his long wind ups.

If you're good at parrying, you can make his phase 1 a joke. Honestly the way I learned that fight was to watch BL4 videos of people doing it, since they'll have to dodge basically everything it will give you a good idea of how to avoid attacks and when its safe to retaliate.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    What're everyone's thoughts on skill weapons? I started playing with the burial blade on this char at just about the end of the main game and I'm not sure whether it actually does anything better than the saif. Mostly I wanted to have a weapon that replaces the gun on L2 for fights where I don't use it.
    I also got the blades of mercy and rakuyo but I don't feel much like using them. I remember being very unimpressed by BOM and rakuyo makes me think "BOM except one of them is longer".

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Tips for Oprhan of Kos?

If you're good at parrying, you can make his phase 1 a joke. Honestly the way I learned that fight was to watch BL4 videos of people doing it, since they'll have to dodge basically everything it will give you a good idea of how to avoid attacks and when its safe to retaliate.

Yeah the timing can be tricky, but once you have it down he goes down hard to parries.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve