As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's a shame Dead Space 4 might not be made or might suck? I imagine
    the only way to stop the Moons would involve figuring out their markers and how they're providing infinite energy, which seems to be how they survive aside from harvesting species.

It's pretty much horror Mass Effect.

Yeah never going to be made is my assumption. Its ok I enjoyed the 3 they made.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I haven't read PA in a while. The art has changed a bit.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    elki on the eve of Mass Effect's takeover I jumped on GR WILDLANDS last night and tried a bunch of guns I hadn't used yet like the little bitty Russian S3RM rifle that's smg compact sized and the 556xi (which I liked much more than expected).

I flew a drug plane over to Libertidad region which is 5 skull difficulty but had no issues parachuting in, landing on a rooftop, and pilfering the AK-47 from a chest. Built it out a little with a red dot scope and so on -- not a bad platform at all although I might like the 556xi more.

I am going to go scrounge up more parts like an extended magazine and one of the front rail mounted night vision lasers. Maybe go steal the Mk. 17 rifle and the M4a1 tac and compare them built out to the 556xi ... hmm.

I still like the P90 best as a close range option so a longer range / long barreled rifle seems logical.

Having said that, the AK 47 was plenty flexible at all ranges to approach and then sweep through a base quietly.

Also you were right about that pistol. That thing is the way and the light.

Are you playing this solo or with others? This game looks super cool but I'm holding off since unless there are people who want to bro down right now, it seems like a wait for a sale game.

I am playing both alone and with others in xbone.

I skipped most of the far cry, just cause, assassins creed etc franchises but this one appeals to me so it depends on what you are looking for.

I like pointlessly fiddling with my character's cosmetic clothes and the guns really are kind of like a car game -- there are more than you will ever need so it's just about finding ones you like, seeing how they handle in a bite sized mission, modifying, and repeating.

I think the gun handling a real pleasure in this game -- it's not terribly exaggerated or goofy but one well-placed shot will kill someone. The sense of lobbing projectiles and needing to account for distance is really present in the open world environment.

Vehicles are merely okay but dirt biking at top speed with other human players is a blast.

You don't have to do every single side quest or mission or anything, just killing each lieutenant per region.

this game totally flew under my radar but it does sound kind of amazing?

like open world rainbow six you can play with bros?

will probably get in on ps4 when it goes on sale.

Yes. Like I said it depends on what you like in games, but I like taking over maps one bite at a time and parachuting in behind enemy lines at night with thermal vision etc.

having people staying back and sniping while someone else creeps into a base to plant the explosives and someone else is flying their drone overhead to pick out enemies so they'll appear on your HUD is all solid.

This is very very much what I want. Almost exactly.

In that case, I endorse the 556xi with a humble red dot sight as a great middle ground between AR and AK shooting characteristics.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It's a shame Dead Space 4 might not be made or might suck? I imagine
    the only way to stop the Moons would involve figuring out their markers and how they're providing infinite energy, which seems to be how they survive aside from harvesting species.

It's pretty much horror Mass Effect.

The first game came out in 2008. I'd believe a Dead Space reboot would come out before Dead Space 4.

• Options
    I think the biggest crime in playing Battlefield Hardline was how samey the guns felt, and like once I unlocked an early AR nothing else stacked up.

Well the other thing was you got a ton of battleplacks in Hardline for playing the story compared to Battlefield 1 that is like "fuck you buy them with money." Sad to see they regressed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    The YouTube vid I just watched was preceded by an advert for Yu-Gi-Oh featuring attractive people playing the card game outdoors in the sunlight. The disconnect from reality was physically jarring.

there's a movie based on one of Jack Chick's tracts about how roleplayers are the coolest kids in school and they're basically hot 30 year olds who are in highschool and D&D gives you actual magical powers from satan and you hold parties with attractive people wearing leather

it's unintentionally a comedy
    To be fair, to the target audience of those Chick tracts, pretty much everyone else is more popular or cool than the reader.

The target audience actually believes this shit, when I was little my grandma told me not to use any magical powers I see in video games or movies because they come from satan

they believe magical powers exist, but christians are immune to them

override367 on
  • Options
    @desc you make me want to pick up that game

I had a lot of fun playing The Division with you and Castle on xbone

I get that modern military shooter itch every so often and that extreme difficulty sounds right up my alley

I know everyone is going to be living the Andromeda life for a while but I intend to nibble away at this game over time

I like the option to gather loots and level up while still knowing the game has an actual conclusion

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Julius wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good or a 59% great? movie review scores operate on a similar curve to video games, maybe just with ~10% more slack.

izbrJ9o.png

spaceballs is one of the worst Brooks movies though.

But still better than most movies.

Spaceballs is so good.

eh, it's got some funny bits but most of the film is kinda mediocre. it's too much silly satire of a single movie (not even a genre).

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I have decided that many of Microsoft's products and install processes are actual war crimes

Oh is that fresh Win 7 install done already? Great, this machine will be back up and running in no ti-Installing update 14 of 472.

Why Microsoft doesn't do sub-service pack level releases that act as aggregators of all that shit is beyond me.

Windows 10.1.0, 10.1.2, 10.1.3, etc.

not that I have a preference for systems like this or anything... but outside of corporate AD bullshit where they need to control the rollout of each patch, there is absolutely no reason for the way they do it now, and no reason that the consumers need to suffer through it. Period.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    The YouTube vid I just watched was preceded by an advert for Yu-Gi-Oh featuring attractive people playing the card game outdoors in the sunlight. The disconnect from reality was physically jarring.

there's a movie based on one of Jack Chick's tracts about how roleplayers are the coolest kids in school and they're basically hot 30 year olds who are in highschool and D&D gives you actual magical powers from satan and you hold parties with attractive people wearing leather

To be fair, to the target audience of those Chick tracts, pretty much everyone else is more popular or cool than the reader.

The target audience actually believes this shit, when I was little my grandma told me not to use any magical powers I see in video games or movies because they come from satan

I have to imagine there's some kind of reverse DARE effect that happens with those kids.

Like, at DARE you're told drugs are bad and awful and have no redeeming qualities, and then someone tries something and feels amazing and is like "shit, what if it was all lies?"

Meanwhile, Jack Chick tells you that the cool people who play D&D have actual magical powers, and then someone tries it and discover they are neither cool nor magical and they're like "shit, what if it was all lies?"

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I have decided that many of Microsoft's products and install processes are actual war crimes

Oh is that fresh Win 7 install done already? Great, this machine will be back up and running in no ti-Installing update 14 of 472.

Why Microsoft doesn't do sub-service pack level releases that act as aggregators of all that shit is beyond me.

not that I have a preference for systems like this or anything... but outside of corporate AD bullshit where they need to control the rollout of each patch, there is absolutely no reason for the way they do it now, and no reason that the consumers need to suffer through it. Period.

or have a utility that you can pop in a blank disk/usb and it gives you the windows ISO + patches

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

They usually do eventually put out a roll-up patch, but it is a quiet thing for sysadmins. Like I think Win 7 got one last year.

They've also switched to making all Win 10 updates cumulative, so especially after the Creators Update fresh installs should get better.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think the biggest crime in playing Battlefield Hardline was how samey the guns felt, and like once I unlocked an early AR nothing else stacked up.

Well the other thing was you got a ton of battleplacks in Hardline for playing the story compared to Battlefield 1 that is like "fuck you buy them with money." Sad to see they regressed.

The progression/unlock system in BF1 is infuriating. BF3 was the best, BF4 was acceptable even with battlepacks because it wasn't terribly hard to earn them. But good god, BF1, needing money, and things still being gated behind class rank, and class rank being dumb as shit...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    since when is a 46% movie good or a 59% great? movie review scores operate on a similar curve to video games, maybe just with ~10% more slack.

izbrJ9o.png

Comedy is one of the most subjective genres to be sure, and movie critics in particular tend to err towards "viciously humorless".

As such comedy movies usually don't get a fair shake from reviewers in general, and are typically not to be trusted on such matters.

Paint Your Wagon for example was harangued mercilessly by critics, even though the audience at large loved it.

• Options
    I shaved my beard for like the first time in a decade. Literally no one in my office has noticed. There's an ego killer.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I haven't read PA in a while. The art has changed a bit.

PA is one of the few comics with a very consistently improving/evolving art style

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    bowen wrote: »

or have a utility that you can pop in a blank disk/usb and it gives you the windows ISO + patches

I mean, they should let you say how active you want to be with your patches.

1) corporate: get patch tuesday'd every tuesday. Control everything you install.

2) home: zero day security patches install automatically, otherwise all patches roll into omnibus patch packages whenever there is enough stuff to justify a release. These patches will count as dozens if not hundreds of individual patches, and there will be two versions; a "diff" version that handles the patches on an otherwise fully up to date system, and a "full fat" version that can take any version of the OS from 10.0 onward and update it to the latest.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The best moment in Just Cause 3 is, if instead of blowing up a propaganda broadcast van you hijack it, Rico switches from the propaganda channel to thumping techno, and the enemies go full-on assault trying to stop you from driving around.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    tumblr_on4dbkTYbx1tg0ue1o4_1280.jpg

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

I have to imagine there's some kind of reverse DARE effect that happens with those kids.

Like, at DARE you're told drugs are bad and awful and have no redeeming qualities, and then someone tries something and feels amazing and is like "shit, what if it was all lies?"

Meanwhile, Jack Chick tells you that the cool people who play D&D have actual magical powers, and then someone tries it and discover they are neither cool nor magical and they're like "shit, what if it was all lies?"
    That is the defining epiphany of my atheism. When I couldn't cast Magic Missile no matter how much I tried, I started to question all of my beliefs.
    Not really. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Spaceballs was mid tier though

It's not even close to Young Frankenstein

• Options

The progression/unlock system in BF1 is infuriating. BF3 was the best, BF4 was acceptable even with battlepacks because it wasn't terribly hard to earn them. But good god, BF1, needing money, and things still being gated behind class rank, and class rank being dumb as shit...

wait like -- is it a baseball card pack real money type thing plus a grind on top of that?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

izbrJ9o.png

spaceballs is one of the worst Brooks movies though.

But still better than most movies.

Spaceballs is so good.

eh, it's got some funny bits but most of the film is kinda mediocre. it's too much silly satire of a single movie (not even a genre).
    "FUCK. Even in the future nothing works!"

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Saw a thread about minigames people like, so opened first page.

Ctrl+F.

"Voltorb Flip", there.

"Golden Sun dice", there.

"Tekken Ball", there.

"Fishing", not there!

Second page. "Fishing", there.

• Options

wait like -- is it a baseball card pack real money type thing plus a grind on top of that?

You get skins and like exp boosts randomly while playing. Like literally the end of a match they just award people a pack. There is no other way to get skins outside of spending money.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Here's a hot take

Mel Brooks films are some father-in-law shit

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

You earn "war bonds" for every multiplayer round you play. You have to spend those to unlock new guns, scopes, equipment etc. Most of that equipment is gated behind your class rank, stuff unlocks at level 2, level 3, and then not again until level 10. So even if you have the money for stuff, you still have to unlock it. And grinding class rank takes a ridiculous amount of time.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

In the end, with DVD sales and such. Spaceballs is apparently one if his most financially successful. Went cult classic after the fact.

Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are especially amazing.

But I still love Spaceballs more. Cause it was more my bag ya'know. I saw it in the theater as a kid.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Spaceballs is great, I will fite anyone that disagrees.

Seriously though, that movie is hella snappy. A constant barrage of jokes, some of them corny (Pizza the Hutt, Druish Princess, Mr. Radar), some of them legendary (This is Now Now, Comb the Desert, Spaceballs Merchandise everywhere). It's a damn good movie.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Easily the worst thing about living on the East Coast is that when things release at midnight eastern, it's in my time zone. If I lived in CA still I could play ME at 9pm and instead I will not be able to play it really at all tonight because I have to work early in the morning.

This is the worst thing that has ever happened to a person ever

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I swear to god though. I still just die laughing in Blazing Saddles at:

"THE SHERIFF IS *&%%*&*&!"
    "What did he say?"
    "He said the Sheriff is near!"

• Options
    Easily the worst thing about living on the East Coast is that when things release at midnight eastern, it's in my time zone. If I lived in CA still I could play ME at 9pm and instead I will not be able to play it really at all tonight because I have to work early in the morning.

Best coast baby!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    In addition, any points you earn while in a vehicle don't count to your soldier class rank either, the only count to your vehicle class. So unlike BF3/4 where if you took a point in a tank, that went towards your soldier class, now it only goes towards your vehicle class.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Look on the bright side. When the world is fully urbanized and we all live in caves of steel, time zones will cease to matter.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

I'm not much better off in the Central time zone.

Fortunately I'm really irresponsible about sleep, so I'll just stay up for several hours playing it when it releases.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Anyway, as for videogame v movie reviews:

I don't care about the difference in scale.

You can generally understand both scales pretty well, and since game critics aren't generally also acting as movie critics it doesn't matter that the scales are incongruent.

Further, gaming also tends to put out far more ireedeemable crap than movies, justifying the inflation of acceptable games. If movie theaters frequently showed movies that sometimes lost audio or contained five minute shots of the camera operator's feet, it'd be more justified to consider "it is coherently a movie" as worthy of an above 60% score. Plus, the quantization of high scores allows room to distinguish a 10/10 from a 9.5/10 in a way that you can't with 3 versus 4 stars.

eh plenty of films released are on that level of terrible, though yeah buggy shit in an AA game is bizarre.

I think the scales are fine, I think that the greater investment and the more diverse preferences of gamers due to diversity in play create a different perception. Plopping down 60 bucks makes for angry folk when a game is not to their liking, and perhaps we just need to adopt a rule that says "subtract 25% of the score if you're not a fan of the genre".

like, lots of reviewers act on the Ebert principle of judging based on what the game sets out to do, but aggregate sites can't deal with nuance like that. Do you subtract points for including a limited inventory even though fans of the series like that shit? Can you accurately reflect how good a new Zelda game is relative to all other games, even though people hate it or love it, or can you only do it relative to other zelda games? (eg, a 70% zelda game is still an instant buy for fans, even though it probably should be avoided if you're neutral to the series)

films are easier because they provide a less diverse experience (shorter and always passive), and because people are already more sure of what genres they like or hate.

• Options
    Central time is best time. Want to watch Colbert? Still in bed by 11:30.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Look on the bright side. When the world is fully urbanized and we all live in caves of steel, time zones will cease to matter.

:avface:

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

I'm not much better off in the Central time zone.

Fortunately I'm really irresponsible about sleep, so I'll just stay up for several hours playing it when it releases.

Took the rest of the week off after today. So aside from being bleary eyed taking my son to daycare tomorrow, I can do WHATEVER I WANT!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Games can improve with later patches to fix issues, movies for the most part are done outside of directors editions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.