As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
edited November 2021 in Games and Technology

• WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    I guess I'll need to try out the new BF4 menus. Though I've been playing only bf1 since it came out...

253J736.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of the new Frontline mode and it's incredibly frustrating but also somehow fun. The matches can go on far too long, I lost one tonight that was 86 minutes, and there really needs to be a 60 minute max overall time that rewards the team holding the most objective points the win. However, the push pull of capturing and losing points working your way to the opponent base or defending the from reaching yourBFs can be fun. On all of the maps there are points that will get traded back and forth with no progress past them 5-10 times on longer matches. I'm probably not going to play it much after it launches for non-premium members because the matches are just too damn long and I'm honestly not having as much fun as I do in Conquest. I'm really only playing it now because of stacking XP bonuses that can lead to some insane scores at the end. I've had matches where I earned well over 200,000 points for a win, and longer matches (45-90 minutes) are usually 125,000-150,000 points when losing.

FYI, the Soissons maps has 5 objective points where I think all of the others are 3, and all of the insanely long matches have been on that map. Matches on the other maps are typically in the 20-60 minute range, but averaging about 30-40 minutes. Basically, if you're not in the mood for a 90 minute match back out of any matches on Soissons.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    My one and only try of Frontlines was on Soissons. The back and forth over the middle 3 points for over an hour seemed so appropriate for a ww1 based game.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Any PC players? We should group up!

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Spent the weekend playing front lines and I haven't had a single super long match, which is lame because I was kinda hoping to get a few after reading everything here about then. Even on Soissons, the games didn't go past 40 minutes or so which is pretty standard for Conquest and much shorter than Operations.

Speaking of operations, I've only done the infantry focused one that starts in Verdun Heights but I love it so far. The fires, pitted landscape and mud just feel so perfectly WW1. If anyone wants to add me on PC my origin name is the same as here.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    It could be that people are finally figuring out that you need to play very aggressively in Frontlines for the matches to go quickly. Pushing forward as a group and making smart use of vehicles (on maps that have them) can really create some momentum that can be very hard to defend against if the other team isn't as aggressive.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Satsumomo on
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Info we should have on the OP:

* Player list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PdHc1fQLV4Xr65MauR2LCjj4crZFdtfRXz7FvX5nx2E/edit?usp=sharing
    * Current flavor: WWI
    * Official trailer

Also maybe a link to the general PA discord that has bunches of active people before someone makes yet another game specific discord for this game that dies in a day like all the others. Lots of people in the current general PA discord play BF1 regularly, too.

• ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    So I did not care for the frontlines game mode. It's an odd mix of rush/conquest and the games or really far too long. Just as you make progress, the timer resets for you to go recapture the point again. Was not a fan.

I am happy, however, that they added ribbons back in because medals are still jacked for me. (one set shows on the loading screen only to be overlaid by another set after a few seconds)

I do like this game, but man I just don't play enough to be competitive against some of the people already at rank 100. I still like it though. Support/Assault fo-evah.

steam_sig.png
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Anyone know if the "Kill 15 in one round with the 1909 Telescopic" to get the Chauchat Telescopic is bugged? I absolutely killed fifteen dudes in a round, which was frustrating and tedious given how awful that gun is, but it didn't check it off on my list.

Professor Phobos on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Put an ounce of effort into your OP, jesus christ

YL9WnCY.png
    Anyone know if the "Kill 15 in one round with the 1909 Telescopic" to get the Chauchat Telescopic is bugged? I absolutely killed fifteen dudes in a round, which was frustrating and tedious given how awful that gun is, but it didn't check it off on my list.

Medal tracking progress is often bugged. Annoyingly so. Sometimes if you just restart the game it'll update with the correct progress, and sometimes the game just bugs out and you have to try doing the step all over again.

A few months I was pretty missed when it didn't correctly track a 20 kills in a round final step that I finished just before medals reset. Now I regularly get 20+ kills per round but that medal has yet to cycle through again for me.

• Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Not the medal, the unlock challenge for the Chauchat Telescopic.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Konphujun wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Info we should have on the OP:

* Player list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PdHc1fQLV4Xr65MauR2LCjj4crZFdtfRXz7FvX5nx2E/edit?usp=sharing
    * Current flavor: WWI
    * Official trailer

Also maybe a link to the general PA discord that has bunches of active people before someone makes yet another game specific discord for this game that dies in a day like all the others. Lots of people in the current general PA discord play BF1 regularly, too.

Link? Not on pc so don't know it

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    WolveSight wrote: »
    I guess I'll need to try out the new BF4 menus. Though I've been playing only bf1 since it came out...

I'd avoid it, nothing but a buggy mess so far and it's a 3gb update for a whole bunch of nothing....it actually takes longer to switch from BF4 to BF1 using the new UI (toted as a feature that it would be faster) than it does using the old battlelog way.

My advise is to enable plugin free game launching on origin battlelog and manually open origin and launch through the usual battlelog way, the only thing that's useful is the prelobby join thing but any ranked server with balancing breaks that right away.

iRevert on
  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular

I had the same problem. You have to do the mortar kills first... CAUSE REASONS. IMPORTANT REASONS. /iwasmad

Yeah, the thing about the weapon unlocks is you have to do the non-"in a round" objective first or it will reset the "in a round" objective. It's stupid, but it's been around since at least BF3. I was bitching about this on discord just last night, in fact. At this point I'm probably going to recruit someone to cheese it with me because if Dice can't fix their bugs, I see no reason to try to obtain the weapons in a broken system.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever had an audio bug where the music plays for a second or few, cuts out for a few seconds, then loads an entirely new track and rinse repeat? The voice overs when loading a map did the same thing, too.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Dashui wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had an audio bug where the music plays for a second or few, cuts out for a few seconds, then loads an entirely new track and rinse repeat? The voice overs when loading a map did the same thing, too.

You can also force an audio bug where vehicles have no sound output to other players, different process from BF4 but you can still force both sound bugs so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you had other things such as what you're talking about happening.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I feel like on Xbox at least the new maps have worse performance which can make it harder to aim. Also I kind of like the ridiculously long frontline maps cos I always get sad when a map ends

Also the update seems to have rescrewed the record function, now whenever you record a clip quickly it doesn't get back into the action for like 60 seconds, which used to happen at launch but they fixed it

I was finally doing well in fort de vaux and then when I tried to quickly get back into the action after quickly recording a clip my frantic button mashing accidently resulted in me quitting grrr

Normally my win loss ratio is pretty even but here I'm losing almost every game, the maps definitely feel less balanced

Prohass on
    Jesus I lost a game 250-1000, that's like the 3rd time as well, that never happened in 80 levels on the regular maps. There's not enough air defence so planes can just pound you when you're stuck in your base.

I had my first round the other day where I just could never catch a break in that round. I went like 2-10 in that game. I could just NOT make things happen. It was awful. I also kept getting killed by a guy with like 50 service stars in the attack plane. That guy was insanely good at targeting infantry chokepoints.

steam_sig.png
    In three out of four games last night my team stomped the opposing team. One of them we won 1000-390 in just under 17 minutes. As much fun as those matches were for me, just continuously running from point to point defending and recapturing, it must have been hell for the other team who just could not keep more than 1-2 points under their control. Even if their skill levels were equivalent to my team's they just couldn't work together to make anything happen for them. There are nights where I get put onto teams that just cant get their shit together and we lose by massive amounts.

Going through old battle reports I found this gem from a game that had two cheaters on the other team.

IrWSnJK.jpg?1

When your aim is better than an aimbot it's gonna be a good game.

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    I swear, cheaters are all scum of the earth.

At least they keep you grounded in the reality that it's just a game, but the lack of fair play is what makes it more of a waste of time.

edited March 2017
    Haha finally won a match 1000-999

Also it's takes me forever to load into a map, almost always by the time I load in everyone else has already taken a point. It makes no sense cos my internet is the fastest available and I have no problems in any other areas. This is on Xbox one btw

Man I'm just losing so much on these new maps I don't know what it is. And losing by a lot. I'm sure the maps are fine but I just hate them because I'm losing constantly over 500 tickets.

Some of my matches are just straight up comical, dying over and over just to like instant death on spawns from like ridiculous sources. Spawn camping, etc. I hate complaining like this but I just never experienced it this bad in the base maps, as soon as I get the achievements I'm going back

Prohass on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So.... premium friends.

If your party contains 1 person with premium- you can play the new maps for free as you are a premium party.

you gain no xp for the maps (IE xp towards dlc related stuff you do get regular xp), and cannot use new gadgets/guns. however if you buy premium all your xp earned is given retroactively.

this is neat and all but how about you just give out the maps for free and all the other jive is what you pay for with the dlc?

Player base remains unfractured. I guess its a step.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    So.... premium friends.

If your party contains 1 person with premium- you can play the new maps for free as you are a premium party.

you gain no xp for the maps (IE xp towards dlc related stuff you do get regular xp), and cannot use new gadgets/guns. however if you buy premium all your xp earned is given retroactively.

this is neat and all but how about you just give out the maps for free and all the other jive is what you pay for with the dlc?

So I can drag my buddy that refuses to buy premium because the game is "an unplayable buggy pile of shit" (that he has 600+ hours in and no signs of stopping) into the new maps?

This is the best news.

I wish they would fix medals. I like a goal to work towards and medals is about it in this game. I already dislike forced switching every 7 days and the fact that they don't always work properly does not enhance my joy.

steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So.... premium friends.

So I can drag my buddy that refuses to buy premium because the game is "an unplayable buggy pile of shit" (that he has 600+ hours in and no signs of stopping) into the new maps?

This is the best news.

Conversly, I can drag my buddy that refuses to buy premium because the game is "an unplayable buggy pile of shit" (that he has 0 hours in and no signs of stopping) into the new maps.

theres a few folks who just dropped the game and refuse to see the new better changes. well now they can get into the dlc no strings.

its good!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited March 2017
    So.... premium friends.

This is the best news.

Conversly, I can drag my buddy that refuses to buy premium because the game is "an unplayable buggy pile of shit" (that he has 0 hours in and no signs of stopping) into the new maps.

theres a few folks who just dropped the game and refuse to see the new better changes. well now they can get into the dlc no strings.

its good!

Was this recently added? Now that I think about it I could swear last time I was partied with my buddy the front lines game mode was greyed out. Or is it just the maps and not the new game types that we can pull them into?

Edit: Nevermind, found the info. Turns out it starts tomorrow to coincide with battlefest.

Konphujun on
    So.... premium friends.

This is the best news.

its good!

Was this recently added? Now that I think about it I could swear last time I was partied with my buddy the front lines game mode was greyed out. Or is it just the maps and not the new game types that we can pull them into?

Edit: Nevermind, found the info. Turns out it starts tomorrow to coincide with battlefest.

to patched in over bettle fest... which is like soon/now?

So.... premium friends.

This is the best news.

its good!

to patched in over bettle fest... which is like soon/now?

Yeah. Should be flipped on sometime this morning.

have to get on tonight.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'll see you guys on tonight then.

edited March 2017
    yeah im double down tonight as well. good times.

also- The legendary pa platoon could return as....
    98prz8w.jpg

:D bf 1 could shape up after lots of patching ala 4.....

edit- platoons are now on the cte! Jesus that patch will be a good one. Grenade tweaks, conquest scoring tweaks, new level 10 guns and platoons!

mojojoeo on
    If I can pry myself away from Nier: Automata I'll try to be on tonight or this weekend. I'm trying to beat it before P5 comes out but that's not going to happen.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    dunno if there's a new thread but this is all I could find! and I don't have time to make a new OP right now so whatever.

have any of you played around with new DLC guns? I only really care about Assault and Support Guns. I never play Scout and can't justify that medic gun's stats.

The assault shotgun looks like it could be great, and the SMG looks like some sort of midline between mp18 and automatica.

No idea about the support gun though.

Thoughts?

The new maps and operations are all top notch, btw.

Are you the magic man?
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Given that the Kolibri is in game as a joke weapon, my biased sensibilities feel like the attributes given to the chauchat are overly generous.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Given that the Kolibri is in game as a joke weapon, my biased sensibilities feel like the attributes given to the chauchat are overly generous.

The chauchat feels like a French BAR to me. Nothing special that I've noticed.

Now, that rifle the medic gets? Whooo boy that's a powerhouse. 50 dmg body shots are nice, the sight has a good field of view and it's got an ever so slightly slower rate of fire that I actually really like because it feels like I'm more accurate with it. Big fan of that one.