As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Paraphrasing:

Swalwell: "Would Russia use someone's financial distress to exploit them?"

Comey: "Yes"

Swalwell: "Like say.... 6 bankruptcies?"

Comey: "....... I uh... I dont know."

Swalwell: "Did you know president Trump had 6 bankruptcies?"

Comey: "No comment."

hahahahahahahahahahhaha

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Paraphrasing:

How does someone get a reputation for impartiality when waffling answers like these are given?

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    I know that the "no comments" are frustrating as fuck, but bringing up shit like Swalwell is doing right now gets all of this shit on record and getting Comey to refuse to comment on it is basically the same as getting him to say "Yeah, I know."

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I know that the "no comments" are frustrating as fuck, but bringing up shit like Swalwell is doing right now gets all of this shit on record and getting Comey to refuse to comment on it is basically the same as getting him to say "Yeah, I know."

There are definitely some questions where it's impossible not to answer, even by refusing to answer.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Paraphrasing:

How does someone get a reputation for impartiality when waffling answers like these are given?

Comey basically cannot comment on almost any question in a public forum that is about the investigation in any way.

• Options
    And I get that answering some of these questions helps the person under investigation prepare their defense or hide their tracks.

But it'd be so satisfying for Comey to be like... "You know what? Fuck it. Here's everything we know...."

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Like at this point he just looks even more like a hack by not at the very least saying, "Yes, it is possible that Trump's bankruptcies are potential leverage for Russia, but I have no direct proof of that right now"

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Like at this point he just looks even more like a hack by not at the very least saying, "Yes, it is possible that Trump's bankruptcies are potential leverage for Russia, but I have no direct proof of that right now"

But see that might not be true, and regardless you don't want Trump to know if you do or don't have that proof. That is why you can't confirm or deny so damn often.

Cog on
  • Options
    I guess I meant that as in, "I can not present any evidence one way or the other"

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    And I get that answering some of these questions helps the person under investigation prepare their defense or hide their tracks.

But it'd be so satisfying for Comey to be like... "You know what? Fuck it. Here's everything we know...."

It would be nice, but I expect that the classified briefings will leak out at some point.

• Options
    I guess I meant that as in, "I can not present any evidence one way or the other"

Then he's just answering a hypothetical and refusing to tie it to the real life example of trump, and answering hypotheticals gets messy fast.

I don't like Comey but it must fucking suck to be in his seat right now.

• Options
    Who is this fuckstick?

• Options
    "You know what the problem with this investigation is? We haven't strung up any Americans over it!"

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The way half of these Republicans are acting you'd think Russia has something on them, too.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Who is this fuckstick?

At least he's getting Comey to talk. :rotate:

• Options
    They weren't trying to help Trump win, they were trying to make Hillary lose. Huge difference!

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If they are actually investigating, rather than just buying time for Trump, I'd rather Comey keep his cards close to his chest. A successful criminal prosecution of associates would build far more attention and momentum than merely pointing out some things they did, and hopefully the process will also unearth even more evidence as these people scramble to protect themselves.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    CNN is back to being snarky about the Trump administration over this latest round of Russian collision allegations, while reading an article there the breaking news banner updated with "'Sean Spicer: Paul Manafort had a limited role in the campaign.' He was the campaign chairman."

jgeis on
  • Options
    Also, remember that Nixon resigned two years after the Watergate break-in. This stuff takes time.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The way half of these Republicans are acting you'd think Russia has something on them, too.

If they have something on Trump, then they do. The more they back Trump the worse they will look; thus those who have crossed that line may feel they've got no choice but to go all-in now.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Hahhahaha, we're reading Trump's livetweeting into the hearing now.

What a time to be alive!

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Spicer said Manafort played a very limited role for a very limited amount of time in the Trump campaign.

They must not be feeling great about Manafort's chances right now.

In other news, whitehouse says sun plays "Very limited role, for a very limited amount of time" in lighting the sky, saying "most of the time if you look up you can't even see it."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

What a time to be alive!

Technology means Comey can fact check a comment that happened in the middle of a hearing. What a world.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    JoeUser wrote: »

Is he maintaining the idea that GCHQ does it? Because that is going down very poorly amongst some circles over here

Solar on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    Why even bother asking the question when it starts, "I'm sure you can't answer this, but..."?

It's to get the question on the record. Mostly it's a political move where they can say to whatever interested parties in their electorate "Hey, see, I tried asking about that."

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    Opposition of Russian activities on the grounds of its

Is he maintaining the idea that GCHQ does it? Because that is going down very poorly amongst some circles over here

There's some noise that the GCHQ story was started by Russia.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    They must be fucking terrified right now if they're live tweeting this hearing from the official POTUS account.

This is the first time we've seen this. They must know something is there if they're trying to defend themselves this much.

Yes, the fact that Trump colluded with a foreign power to sabotage the election in his favor.

And is still taking direction from them.

It's obvious this happened and is still going on.

I think the first part of that statement is highly plausible.

I think the second part of that statement is not.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

What a time to be alive!

Technology means Comey can fact check a comment that happened in the middle of a hearing. What a world.

this is amazing and their incredulity at having to re-answer a question because some dumbshit tweeted about it wrong is amazing

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I checked in on the kids in /r/T_D and they are mostly ignoring that this is happening aside from 1 thread about the livestream where they are alternating calling Comey a liar but then hailing him for confirming that all news is fake, and deep throating Trey Gowdy.

We don't need to know what's going on in a Trump subreddit, it adds nothing to this thread.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

What a time to be alive!

Watching Comey try desperately to not say "yeah we didn't say shit about that because we didn't know shit about that, he's lying!" is depressingly amusing

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Comey confirms Republican servers were hacked but no information released.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular

That's kinda big.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    I believe they're winding down though.

• Options
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

This is like one of the biggest indications that they wanted Trump to win over Clinton, and now it's officially on the record.

This is basically a damn counter intelligence hearing on the president of the US. God this is just insane to me.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Wasn't the hacking of Republican servers known during or just after the election? The details were that it was an old server and not the one currently being used?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Wasn't the hacking of Republican servers known during or just after the election? The details were that it was an old server and not the one currently being used?

It was rumored, but I don't know if it was ever confirmed. Comey didn't specify what exactly was hacked.

• Options

That's not exactly what he said, though. He said there were "efforts" to attack both parties during the election.

You can assume that they succeeded against the Republicans as well (because, come on), but he didn't actually say that they did.

This discussion has been closed.