As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Comey confirms Republican servers were hacked but no information released.

That's not exactly what he said, though. He said there were "efforts" to attack both parties during the election.

You can assume that they succeeded against the Republicans as well (because, come on), but he didn't actually say that they did.

There was a followup question that clarified that Republican targets were hacked. I don't remember if the RNC was specified, but there were republicans hacked for certain.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    this rep trying to sound like he is Totally Hip by using the phrase 0 day exploit in regards to the Russians

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular

So... they've got blackmail material, right? That's like really, really bad.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Nixon "got us out" is an... interesting interpretation of Nixon's policy in SE Asia.

From a position of Realists who don't really care about the human toll, the result is all that matters. I'm not trying to defend Nixon's policy, just saying why the Soviets might have preferred it.

Especially since punching the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia would've been something Moscow liked anyway. There's a reason Vietnam went in and stomped on them later.

From a position of events that actually occurred in real life Nixon sabotaged peace talks to keep the US in SE Asia.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Nixon "got us out" is an... interesting interpretation of Nixon's policy in SE Asia.

From a position of Realists who don't really care about the human toll, the result is all that matters. I'm not trying to defend Nixon's policy, just saying why the Soviets might have preferred it.

Especially since punching the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia would've been something Moscow liked anyway. There's a reason Vietnam went in and stomped on them later.

From a position of events that actually occurred in real life Nixon sabotaged peace talks to keep the US in SE Asia.

Not on topic.

BlazeFire wrote: »
    Wasn't the hacking of Republican servers known during or just after the election? The details were that it was an old server and not the one currently being used?

It was known but denied by the GOP. Now it's on the record.

this current line of questioning is actually really good, about the DNC and how they handled the Russian hack/the timeline on it. They're legitimate questions.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This is a long hearing!

i'd love to know who was just speaking that asked about the timeline of the DNC hack, Comey was actually answering questions and it was interesting.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Wasn't the hacking of Republican servers known during or just after the election? The details were that it was an old server and not the one currently being used?

And if Spicers press conference from today is any indication, the WH will continue to deny it regardless of any statement from the FBI.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Man, I kind of wish the Switch had always-on internet via LTE - I think I would be down for destiny in a mobile context, and the Switch clearly has enough muscle to run that title.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Marathon wrote: »

And if Spicers press conference from today is any indication, the WH will continue to deny it regardless of any statement from the FBI.

Sure but now the press can talk about it without caveats.

cursedking wrote: »
    i'd love to know who was just speaking that asked about the timeline of the DNC hack, Comey was actually answering questions and it was interesting.

I think that was Joaquin Castro?

cursedking wrote: »

I think that was Joaquin Castro?

ok awesome

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I guess I meant that as in, "I can not present any evidence one way or the other"

Then he's just answering a hypothetical and refusing to tie it to the real life example of trump, and answering hypotheticals gets messy fast.

I don't like Comey but it must fucking suck to be in his seat right now.

Something about a bed, and lying... somewhere

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Man, I kind of wish the Switch had always-on internet via LTE - I think I would be down for destiny in a mobile context, and the Switch clearly has enough muscle to run that title.

I bet Comey wishes he had a Switch right now. It must be super boring saying "I can't comment" over and over.

The only vacuum in that hearing is the spot that Trey Gowdy is sucking the life out of.

edited March 2017
    The country is in such a state that I just spent 5 hours at work with my headphones in listening not to music or podcasts oh my phone, but a congressional hearing.

Thanks Trump.

Cog on
    The country is in such a state that I just spent 5 hours at work with my headphones in listening not to music or podcasts oh my phone, but a congressional hearing.

Thanks Trump.

yeah like, I listen to every press briefing whenever it happens now and I did not ever do that before, but I just feel like I need to.

Spicer said Paul Manafort had a small part in the campaign ... he was the campaign manager for a while!

• SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Selner wrote: »

Um, obviously the reason nothing was released from the Republican side is because everything was squeaky clean, absolutely beyond reproach, God bless America.

That PotUS tweet misrepresenting what Comey said, tho... gosh dang. This whole situation is surreal.

Surfpossum on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Um, obviously the reason nothing was released from the Republican side is because everything was squeaky clean, absolutely beyond reproach, God bless America.

That PotUS tweet misrepresenting what Comey said, tho... gosh dang. This whole situation is surreal.

Number of people who follow the PotUS on Twitter: 16 million.
    Number of people who watch congressional hearings: maybe 100? 200 at the most? Not to mention Comey went out of his way to not contradict Trump's misrepresentation of his statement in his response, so you can't even go out and say "that's not what Comey said, look here!"

"Comey said the Russians didn't influence the election" is the reality now. Surreal or not, factual or not, it's what everyone knows happened now.

sig.gif
    Richy wrote: »

Number of people who watch congressional hearings: maybe 100? 200 at the most? Not to mention Comey went out of his way to not contradict Trump's misrepresentation of his statement in his response, so you can't even go out and say "that's not what Comey said, look here!"

"Comey said the Russians didn't influence the election" is the reality now. Surreal or not, factual or not, it's what everyone knows happened now.

But it will be all over the news tomorrow morning

But it will be all over the news tomorrow morning

yeah, you're never going to get to people who will cling to Trump's statement no matter what. But every single media outlet is going to lead with "trump got clowned on in the middle of a congressional hearing" and do a lot to override the other narrative.

Trump friend Roger Stone responds to the claims about his contacts with Russia

Roger Stone responds to Comey hearing, denies claims of Russia collusion

"I had no contact with Russians. This one has been manufactured by the intelligence service with an assist from Soros and Brock," Stone added. "I'm not gonna stop fighting for Donald Trump, nor are they going to silence me. I am anxious to go to the committee. Let's see if they can handle the truth."

This guy is bananas.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

To be fair, I am one of those 16 million, and the reason for that is that I followed it when Obama was president. The vast majority of the things from the Trump admin on twitter are through his personal account, not the POTUS one. I don't recall ever seeing a @POTUS tweet show up in my feed, in fact, which is why it hasn't yet been unfollowed.

"I had no contact with Russians. This one has been manufactured by the intelligence service with an assist from Soros and Brock," Stone added. "I'm not gonna stop fighting for Donald Trump, nor are they going to silence me. I am anxious to go to the committee. Let's see if they can handle the truth."

This guy is bananas.

Let us never forget that Roger Stone has a tattoo of Richard Nixon on his back.

I would love for Stone to testify before the Intelligence Committee, please let this happen.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Fox News, CNN, Breitbart, MSNBC, all running "FBI confirms investigation into Russian interference in election" as the headline

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Yeah, that tweet's just going to bury Trump deeper. Especially that it got fact checked in real time.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Yeah, that tweet's just going to bury Trump deeper. Especially that it got fact checked in real time.

Yeah, any news outlet looking for a summary of events from today is going to feature this series of events.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

This guy is bananas.

Yeah, I'm not aware of too many people who basically dare Congress to subpoena them.

On the other hand, Congress doesn't seem to have a problem with perjury, so why not show up and bullshit for a few hours?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    roger stone is an avowed political performance artist, and therefore you can safely assume that his bravado is simply bluster

he is certainly terrified and the fact that he's an apparatchik and not an elected official means nobody's gonna have any problem throwing him under the bus if doing so makes the party look good

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

From the right wing Jennifer Rubin no less.

Couple interesting points at the end of the article, about how due to Trumps actions, trust in the Presidency is at an all time low, and also trust in the Intelligence Community. Will be interesting to see if those rebound for the next president, or if the amount of tinfoil hatters is going to skyrocket now that the POTUS is openly contradicting the IC.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Opposition of Russian activities on the grounds of its

Is he maintaining the idea that GCHQ does it? Because that is going down very poorly amongst some circles over here

There's some noise that the GCHQ story was started by Russia.

On reflection, Russia would certainly have a motive to do so. And that would explain why the fuck they were specified, and not the eastern european intel services that watch russian communications like a fiend and were rumored to be catching russian internal communications about assisting the Trump campaign.

Makes a certain amount of sense that Russia might push the GCHQ surveillance lie.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Couple interesting points at the end of the article, about how due to Trumps actions, trust in the Presidency is at an all time low, and also trust in the Intelligence Community. Will be interesting to see if those rebound for the next president, or if the amount of tinfoil hatters is going to skyrocket now that the POTUS is openly contradicting the IC.

Didn't even notice it was Rubin.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Paraphrasing:

Swalwell: "Would Russia use someone's financial distress to exploit them?"

Comey: "Yes"

Swalwell: "Like say.... 6 bankruptcies?"

Comey: "....... I uh... I dont know."

Swalwell: "Did you know president Trump had 6 bankruptcies?"

Comey: "No comment."

How does someone get a reputation for impartiality when waffling answers like these are given?

He was so loyal to his immediate (Republican) supervisor AG Ashcroft that he followed his orders and didn't allow himself to be made into a patsy over one warrantless surveillance programs when Bush, Gonzales and Andrew Card asked that it meant he was his own man.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    They must be fucking terrified right now if they're live tweeting this hearing from the official POTUS account.

This is the first time we've seen this. They must know something is there if they're trying to defend themselves this much.

Yes, the fact that Trump colluded with a foreign power to sabotage the election in his favor.

And is still taking direction from them.

It's obvious this happened and is still going on.

I think the spin is going to be that yes Putin didn't want Clinton to win, but that doesn't mean they wanted Trump to win.

And its obvious that Clinton was Putin's worst case scenario and he worked against her from jump street. But that doesn't mean he wasn't backing Trump too. Even before Trump got the nomination his candidacy hurt America by making the whole thing a farce and hacking away at our reputation. I'm sure he didn't think Trump could win, just like no one did until it happened. But having an overtly racist buffoon represent America even as a candidate was a huge win.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Didn't even notice it was Rubin.

Rubin is hated by a large part of Trump's base

Because she's part of the people paid by Soros

(That's altright newspeak for "she's a Jew")

This discussion has been closed.