As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    The Underwhelming Coworker does not know there is a difference between scfs and actual cubic feet. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise, but when that and a math error led to them calculating a vapor flowrate of one mile per second in our pipes, I am more than a bit peeved.

We process oil, we don't make oil-railguns!

...Can you?

Anything's a railgun if you're brave enough.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The Underwhelming Coworker does not know there is a difference between scfs and actual cubic feet. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise, but when that and a math error led to them calculating a vapor flowrate of one mile per second in our pipes, I am more than a bit peeved.

...Can you?

Anything's a railgun if you're brave enough.

I don't think oil's magnetic.
    ...maybe if you suspended a slurry of fine ferric solids inside the oil...

see317 on
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Hahahahaha holy shit.

Did they not look at the calc for like half a second and go "oh wait?"

"Uh boss this says it has a dP of 3000lb/100ft!"

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Long-time fans may remember that I was moved from my semi-rural small-town library back in December to serve as interim manager for the Walter White Memorial Library: Original Home of the Bumfight™ because the previous manager fucked off to take a university job in the Caribbean.

My boss's boss was here today interviewing candidates to take over this joint so I can get back to my home library (yay!) Before he left, he sat me down and told me that he wanted me to apply for the current opening as manager of Mega-Library One, the busiest library in the system and the state. My first job in the system was as Assistant Manager at Mega-Library One, before I moved up to manager of Honest Jedoc's Down-Home Bookateria.

If I decided to apply, and if I actually got the job, it would be about a 10% pay bump. The two communities are largely similar, in that they are unusually active and supportive users of their libraries, with a slightly lower-than-normal proportion of the cranks and assholes that try the souls of public librarians. However, Mega-Library One also has triple the staff and damn near ten times the traffic of Honest Jedoc's Down-Home Bookateria. And while I've spent the last four years curating my current library staff into a beautiful, harmonious bonsai crew, Mega-Library One still has some real petty bullshit, staffing wise. You know the kind of toxic work feuds that cause grown-ass adults to act like middle school kids and bring every niggling little conflict to their supervisor? That's the circ desk, top to bottom. It has been heavily implied that a successful candidate will come to their first day of work with their big stompy boots on.

Also, Mega-Library One puts me right back to a 45-minute commute. In fact, if the hiring process moves quickly enough, I might have moved within ten minutes of my home library without ever actually taking the ten-minute commute.

Current mood:

giphy.gif

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Hahahahaha holy shit.

Did they not look at the calc for like half a second and go "oh wait?"

"Uh boss this says it has a dP of 3000lb/100ft!"

To their credit they realized it was insane and tried to find their error for a while before I got back from a meeting and they asked me for advice. So it was not entirely terrible.

I ate an engineer
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So looks like the form the doctor needs to fill out is a fit to serve/no impairment of judgment type of thing cause yay major depression diagnoses that I take medicine for

But the doctor just got back from vacation today so she needs a little bit more time to look and sign the form

I mean it's been 10 months, what's another 2 days at this point for everything to go in?
    4bBMDQ1.jpg

Oghulk on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a former circ desk inmate I need more info about these crazy circ desk people! I thrive on stories of horrible library employees!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

...Can you?

Unfortunately, I enjoy living.

I ate an engineer
    You librarians will be happy to know I put in demands to my community to donate more copies of these POC authors they praise so much to our local libraries.

No one is going to read these stories of the holds are eight deep on five copies.

Arm carrying boxes got smashed against chest of female client
    Royce: oh I'm so sorry
    Client: Darling, if I was offended, you'd know.
    R: well, apologizing is still the respectful thing (said more awkwardly)

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You librarians will be happy to know I put in demands to my community to donate more copies of these POC authors they praise so much to our local libraries.

No one is going to read these stories of the holds are eight deep on five copies.

you're supposed to finger gun and click + wink

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Now is the time at work when I cease to give any fucks. My productivity is high enough that even if I did nothing until I leave I'd still have over 100%, my supervisor is gone, and I have about an hour left at work.

I do feel a little bit bad for caring so little, when folks like Koro are busting their humps at jobs that aren't anywhere near as nice and full of benefits and safeties as mine. But when it's super clear that the company doesn't give a shit, it's really hard for me to give a shit. I'm hoping this apathy will lift a bit if/when I get a field tech position.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Of course today had to be a real busy/chaotic day

but at least it's over

I'm looking forward to getting home and finally actually taking some medication

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

giphy.gif

PSN: jfrofl
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Seriously though not to belabor the point (though I'm gonna)

working while off my meds kinda blows

edited March 2017
    As a former circ desk inmate I need more info about these crazy circ desk people! I thrive on stories of horrible library employees!

There are two ways to divide up tasks within a team: one way is to communicate and find out which tasks each person loves, which they tolerate, and which they hate. Generally, in a team of thirteen people, you can eventually find a way where everyone is spending the maximum amount of time on tasks that they love or tolerate, and little or no time on tasks they hate. If there is a task that is universally hated, you can write up a roster to make sure that task is divided up equally.

Or you can ignore all that and, paranoid that you might get shafted in some unknown manner, insist that all tasks be divided equally between all staff members, regardless of preference or aptitude. You may even ask your green assistant manager to write up an hourly station rotation schedule, which, (spoiler alert) is the kind of impossible mathematical problem they use to failure-test AI algorithms.

This same crab-pot, "happiness in others must be depleting my personal stock of happiness" mentality led to a cruel and byzantine system of rules regarding leave taken around holidays. Essentially, if you took of Christmas Eve one year, you were ineligible to take any leave in the week before or after Christmas the next year, regardless of whether anyone else wanted it, and had last dibs on that entire time frame for the following two years. I was at least able to abolish the first part of that before I left.

Then there were the two full-timers who got HR involved every three months by accusing each other of bullying, the ex-corporate guy who would send long bitching emails about every policy change "just saying what everyone's thinking," and the shitty dude who insisted that the ten years of complaints we had in his personnel file were because the last manager was just out to get him.

Happily, this time around I am not fresh out of grad school/the Lowe's paint desk, and have acquired many paperwork-based skills with which to protect good workers from awful ones, and also to fire people in the most efficient way possible in the public sector.

Let's dance, circ staff.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    One of the professors in my history department has very graciously offered to take a look at my resume after hearing how long I've been trying to find work. Hopefully I get good feedback, can make the changes, and get out of this fucking rut and off this island sooner rather than later.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Word is I'll have an offer by end of week. Here's to hoping, I'm counting down the days till I get out of manager hell.

edited March 2017
    bowen wrote: »

I'm the only y chromosome in this building and they have sufficient medical skill to ensure a long, painful recovery.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

There are two ways to divide up tasks within a team: one way is to communicate and find out which tasks each person loves, which they tolerate, and which they hate. Generally, in a team of thirteen people, you can eventually find a way where everyone is spending the maximum amount of time on tasks that they love or tolerate, and little or no time on tasks they hate. If there is a task that is universally hated, you can write up a roster to make sure that task is divided up equally.

Or you can ignore all that and, paranoid that you might get shafted in some unknown manner, insist that all tasks be divided equally between all staff members, regardless of preference or aptitude. You may even ask your green assistant manager to write up an hourly station rotation schedule, which, (spoiler alert) is the kind of impossible mathematical problem they use to failure-test AI algorithms.

This same crab-pot, "happiness in others must be depleting my personal stock of happiness" mentality led to a cruel and byzantine system of rules regarding leave taken around holidays. Essentially, if you took of Christmas Eve one year, you were ineligible to take any leave in the week before or after Christmas the next year, regardless of whether anyone else wanted it, and had last dibs on that entire time frame for the following two years. I was at least able to abolish the first part of that before I left.

Then there were the two full-timers who got HR involved every three months by accusing each other of bullying, the ex-corporate guy who would send long bitching emails about every policy change "just saying what everyone's thinking," and the shitty dude who insisted that the ten years of complaints we had in his personnel file were because the last manager was just out to get him.

Happily, this time around I am not fresh out of grad school/the Lowe's paint desk, and have acquired many paperwork-based skills with which to protect good workers from awful ones, and also to fire people in the most efficient way possible in the public sector.

Let's dance, circ staff.

Wait, that circ desk has thirteen employees?!!?

When I worked at the busiest public library branch in Nebraska there were three full time and three part time and we did fine!

The rest of that is bullshit of the highest order.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ugh

Gotta just stop seeing my wife out on Monday mornings.

I get home from work around 1ish, get to sleep around 2ish. She's out the door a little after 6 at the latest, sometimes (like today) it's 5.

I...couldn't get back to sleep after that.

So here I am, working until midnight, on ~3 hours sleep.

uggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I am so rusty at interviewing, almost totally cocked up one today, though one of the interviewers was an uninterested dick. The reality of the layoff is setting in, and it's tough carrying the proverbial water. I seem to be occupying the "emotional bulwark/pep talk giver" role among the fallen near me though, so I need to keep it up for their sake.
    Good news is I'm through to 2nd round on another position and have a meeting with our VP on continuing in a similar role as a promotion after I publicly called him out in a town hall (to which we had a personal conversation afterward that was honest and productive - he's a good guy). Informational interview tomorrow on another position.
    Most importantly, I'm pretty sure I'd be a terrible stay at home dad.
    @mightyjongyo - Rad dude, hope it goes your way

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

...Can you?

Unfortunately, I enjoy living.

I can pay in cash.

steam_sig.png
    I made it home successfully. Saw a car just smack into another on the drive home, hard enough to push the back of the car in a fair bit. The weird thing was the car that got hit just kept driving? Like, no pulling over or anything, and I saw him a few miles down the road continuing to drive.

Oh, shit. Is it the purge again already? I haven't gotten my machete sharpened since last year.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Two last minute customers? Seriously? With less than 45 minutes on this shy? I've had dicks already today, might as go for a taco or four.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Plus side: found an alternate route home I didn't know about.

Minus side: now I have to drive it all week and see if it's better. Pretty sure it'll work out.

Oh, and we got a laser engraver and I get to use CorelDraw for sorta-drafting.

Might be a good week!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I want a laser engraver so bad!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I have successfully built a 64-bit tool installer on a 32-bit machine*. Today I am a digital magician.

*: at least I presume so. It's not like I can run the thing to test it.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I made it home successfully. Saw a car just smack into another on the drive home, hard enough to push the back of the car in a fair bit. The weird thing was the car that got hit just kept driving? Like, no pulling over or anything, and I saw him a few miles down the road continuing to drive.

Ugh. The other day I had a car going the wrong way come into the roundabout near my house. right as I entered it. For some reason it took me like 20 seconds to register they were, in fact, going the wrong way. Fortunately, they exited immediately (so before we would hit each other) and I somehow managed to slow down despite a very confused mental state that persisted the rest of the block before my brain caught up (at the red light after it).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Naturally everyone was slightly confused why I was at work tonight, as my supervisor had heavily talked up me heading to first shift in the morning. However, everyone who asked me about the job had the exact same reaction as I did: "Man, fuck that."

Needless to say I'm going to be calling our production manager in the morning to let him know I've reconsidered the offer.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Sent an email to my visa advice company asking what the deal is with my current visa expiring before I get an answer to my renewal application. Apparently I won't be able to travel out of the country until I get an answer, which I knew. Then if my application comes back denied I have 10 days to either appeal or leave the country, which fair enough. The confusing bit is
    Though you are legally allowed to leave within the 10 working days, there is no guarantee that you won't be issued with a ban from the country.

Which doesn't make much sense? So I'm still confused about what to do, and I have 6 days to decide.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    "sure you can leave the country without a visa, but we're gonna jump you out."

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Awake two hours earlier than I usually am to drive to training and I am not a barrel of sunshine.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Boss has evaded me today, postponing a reckoning till tomorrow. Pretty low on fucks to give today though.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    There, called the production manager, told him I'd had a change of heart about the forklift job (giving him the pay cut as the reason; no need to make a scene about the workload being the issue) and he accepted it with complete understanding.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Despite waking up today with a headache and bad sinus drainage problems, I feel overall more alert than I did yesterday.

Still very tried.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Oh, here is the Job thread. Been thinking this was a song thread all week or something.

I missed you all terribly.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I want a laser engraver so bad!

It's pretty cool, but so far I mostly get to do a lot of really meticulous measurement and test-burns where I try not to go through the painters' tape I've got over what will be work areas.

Soon, though!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    There, called the production manager, told him I'd had a change of heart about the forklift job (giving him the pay cut as the reason; no need to make a scene about the workload being the issue) and he accepted it with complete understanding.

Now we wait for another shoe to drop.

This discussion has been closed.