As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movies] Thread: Pre-Summer Blockbuster Blockbuster Season

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I am weirdly bummed out that Beauty and the Beast is doing so well. Usually I wouldn't care, but I really dislike the live action remakes of Disney classics, and Jungle Book over a billion and this one on track to crush that, I am not going to be seeing the end of them for a very, very long time.

I guess I just wish they'd make more new things.

Also why on earth is that movie 2 hours and 5 minutes. Good god hollywood. Did all the editors leave town?
    I mean... they ARE making a LOT of more new things. Moana and Zootopia both came out last year, and they were completely original IPs. It's not like they are just coasting on live action remakes or anything.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    But the jungle book was good

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I am weirdly bummed out that Beauty and the Beast is doing so well. Usually I wouldn't care, but I really dislike the live action remakes of Disney classics, and Jungle Book over a billion and this one on track to crush that, I am not going to be seeing the end of them for a very, very long time.

Also why on earth is that movie 2 hours and 5 minutes. Good god hollywood. Did all the editors leave town?
    I mean... they ARE making a LOT of more new things. Moana and Zootopia both came out last year, and they were completely original IPs. It's not like they are just coasting on live action remakes or anything.
    If anything it's the fact that Disney has these sure fire money makers that lets them try as many new things as they do.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Jungle Book at least differed from the cartoon, which is what helped make it good.

From what I've seen, Beauty & the Beast is almost verbatim the cartoon. So it's just pretty lazy to just remake a well loved cartoon when they could try something else with Beauty & the Beast. A quasi sequel where Belle leaves Beast and falls in love with a new beast who's like, a werewolf, and he sparkles in the sun.

• PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Jungle Book at least differed from the cartoon, which is what helped make it good.

From what I've seen, Beauty & the Beast is almost verbatim the cartoon. So it's just pretty lazy to just remake a well loved cartoon when they could try something else with Beauty & the Beast. A quasi sequel where Belle leaves Beast and falls in love with a new beast who's like, a werewolf, and he sparkles in the sun.

Soooo a Twilight sequel? (Or is that the joke? Never seen the movies, working off of word of mouth here.)

Priest on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Werewolves don't sparkle they like, fucking bristle or something

werewolf, not weretoothbrush

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I don't really count WDAS, I mean among everything else Walt Disney Pictures does. WDAS lives in their own little bubble under the mouse umbrella.

If I really look at the list there is more new things than I remember, but less than there used to be. But that's just the risk adverse nature of entertainment I suppose.

I imagine a decent amount of this reaction is because this time they're remaking things that were formative to me as a child, and not the things that were formative to my parents. What goes around.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

I believe it's "brustle"

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Disney remakes "classic" stories. That's not all they do, but it is kind of their "thing."

Them becoming one of their own primary sources is new, and a bit weird, but I submit that a lot of the things that you, Knight, fondly remember were simply (to steal an old NBC tagline for their reruns) "new to YOU."

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Disney remakes "classic" stories. That's not all they do, but it is kind of their "thing."

Them becoming one of their own primary sources is new, and a bit weird, but I submit that a lot of the things that you, Knight, fondly remember were simply (to steal an old NBC tagline for their reruns) "new to YOU."

I did just say that, yea. But they were new in that animated format as well, and Disney removes a lot of the more grim aspects many of those fairy tales had, so they were at least generally reinterpreting the stories.

In these cases they are mostly just "play that same song again"ing themselves to the tune of a billion dollars a go.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

I believe it's "brustle"

You meant "eviscerate."

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Just watched Kong. Kong's the shit! Go watch it!

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Kong was certainly better than the Peter Jackson attempt, but I wouldn't call it "the shit." I've read in this thread that it wasn't dumb, and for the most part, I agree. The major exception is the reason we're on the island in the first place.
    There is a nice slo mo shot of all these helicopters heading to the island and I remember thinking I should count them, because it seemed like a lot. Flash forward a couple minutes and Kong is knocking them out of the sky. And I'm thinking, well at least they brought a dozen of these things. Nah, fuck that. Kong gets them all. ALL. Not like, 7 in 1 blow, either. We're talking about a prolonged fight. Nobody thinks to fly like, 1 or 2 out of gorilla paw range. It's really meant to lock the characters to the island and be exciting, and it is exciting, but it's pretty dumb.
    Other than that, I've got no complaints. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The live-action Beauty and the Beast looked creepy as fuck to me. There's something about talking household items that goes from cutesy to disturbing the minute it's live-action.

CGI Lumière is fucking nightmare fuel in those trailers.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I was counting too!

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I was 11 (was it really 25 years ago it came out? I feel so old) when the cartoon version came out, and like others in this thread, I don't really see the point in making a live action version that seems almost identical, but I've a daughter who is 4, and when she saw the advert for this film, she got very excited and told me she wanted to go and see it.

So I think ultimately in my case, this live action version isn't really for me, but instead is for my young daughter, who is starting to take interests in many things (at the moment, it seems to be all the things I have in my little hobby room). There's worse ways to spend a rainy afternoon.

PSN Fleety2009
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The live-action Beauty and the Beast looked creepy as fuck to me. There's something about talking household items that goes from cutesy to disturbing the minute it's live-action.

CGI Lumière is fucking nightmare fuel in those trailers.

*GIS*

*recoils*

Oh dear god...

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I was 11 (was it really 25 years ago it came out? I feel so old) when the cartoon version came out, and like others in this thread, I don't really see the point in making a live action version that seems almost identical, but I've a daughter who is 4, and when she saw the advert for this film, she got very excited and told me she wanted to go and see it.

So I think ultimately in my case, this live action version isn't really for me, but instead is for my young daughter, who is starting to take interests in many things (at the moment, it seems to be all the things I have in my little hobby room). There's worse ways to spend a rainy afternoon.

Also they added like, 40 minutes of supplemental story and changed a bunch of shit around.

It still hews incredibly close to the original, but there's enough there for someone who was familiar enough with the original to still get some value out of it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    The best line from Kong was the banter about the ants. I cracked up. "There's one... sounds like a bird, but it's a fucking ant."

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The best line from Kong was the banter about the ants. I cracked up. "There's one... sounds like a bird, but it's a fucking ant."

yeah John C. Reilly was really good in general. He works well as the Puck character to take your mind off of horrendous disemboweling that you just saw a minute ago.
    For that matter everyone was acting their asses off. John Goodman especially looking visibly terrified when Samuel L. Jackson was interrogating him.

It's always fun when a everyone in a cheesy action movie is taking it seriously.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the Beauty & The Beast gay character controversy is that it's a movie that pretty openly suggests or supports bestiality, witchcraft, kidnapping, and patriarchal gender roles, starring one of the most openly-gay dudes in Hollywood, Luke Evans.

but hey

LeFou is kinda swishy

better not let the kiddos see that

I did really like how Mason in Kong isn't played as the franchise's traditional damsel, nor is she played as an ultra-badass. She's just a person, and everyone treats her like a person, and it's nice.

edited March 2017
    I did not know Owen Shaw was gay, or that a hollywood blockbuster actually didn't make Brie Larson super badass female trope.

My mind has been double blown as I chew Doublemint gum in a Doubletree hotel.

TexiKen on
    I did not know Owen Shaw was gay, or that a hollywood blockbuster actually didn't make Brie Larson super badass female trope.

that's at least 6 times blown

Atomika wrote: »

Depending if the multipliers are additive or multiplicative, it could be as high as 8 times blown!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    My favorite part of the Beauty & The Beast gay character controversy is that it's a movie that pretty openly suggests or supports bestiality, witchcraft, kidnapping, and patriarchal gender roles, starring one of the most openly-gay dudes in Hollywood, Luke Evans.

but hey

LeFou is kinda swishy

better not let the kiddos see that

Not having seen the new one. But LeFou in the first was played as a sycophant. He would be a 100% perfect example of the gaters who attack people and hold up some weird conception of manliness because they want to ride on the coattails of an ideal they can't achieve.

If Gad was good at bringing that out then that is almost certainly he is being attacked.

wbBv3fj.png
    The Fate of the Furious Mind Blown!

The F(8x) of the Mind Blown, in fact.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The F(8x) of the Mind Blown, in fact.

If you watch it in 3D, is that 24 times mind blown?

MichaelLC on

Depending if the multipliers are additive or multiplicative, it could be as high as 8 times blown!

that's not accounting for squares!

f9737587fdcf723d370041257f73934d.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Has anyone seen the Belko Experiment?

I have people that want to see it this weekend and based on what I am reading, I'm not sure I want to spend time and money on it.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Watched the Claude Rains Invisible Man today and was surprised to realize that he easily has the highest body count out of all the classic Universal Monsters. The Mummy, Dracula, the Wolf Man, Frankenstein, the Gill Man, they kill maybe a half dozen people in a movie, if that. I guess the Phantom of the Opera and the Hunchback of Notre Dame kill a bunch of people, but it's in the dozens at best.

The Invisible Man, meanwhile, racks up 120+ people in this movie. What's with all the C-list monsters being the most murderous?

Fakefaux on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Belko Experiment?

I have people that want to see it this weekend and based on what I am reading, I'm not sure I want to spend time and money on it.

The trailer was enough to make me nope out of it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I did really like how Mason in Kong isn't played as the franchise's traditional damsel, nor is she played as an ultra-badass. She's just a person, and everyone treats her like a person, and it's nice.

hm ok I will see this hiddleston vehicle then

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    How is the latest Kong from, like, racial perspective? Does it still have scary dark-skinned natives and stuff like the other Kongs?

wandering on
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    How is the latest Kong from, like, racial perspective? Does it still have scary dark-skinned natives and stuff like the other Kongs?

No. It's actually got what's probably the most sensitive depiction of the natives of any Kong movie. They don't get to do much, but they're depicted with respect.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    They're more East Asian/multiethnic. It doesn't really do anything with them, they're just... there. I think they wanted to avoid cutting them entirely but also to avoid the appearance of being racist. They're whisper thin, like the rest of the film's characters. edit- I suppose "whisper thin" is an accidental pun as they have no speaking parts.

Gvzbgul on
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    They're more East Asian/multiethnic. It doesn't really do anything with them, they're just... there. I think they wanted to avoid cutting them entirely but also to avoid the appearance of being racist. They're whisper thin, like the rest of the film's characters. edit- I suppose "whisper thin" is an accidental pun as they have no speaking parts.

I wondered if the lack of dialogue was in part to avoid being offensive by having them speak pseudo-Vietnamese gobbledygook or something. Some South East Asian equivalent of the "oooga booga" dialogue of the natives from the original.

This discussion has been closed.