As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[US and Russia] Talk about Trump connections to Russia here.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »

According to Spicer "there's no evidence yet"

immediately after this when asked about the investigation into Russia by the FBI

"There's an investigation but that doesn't mean anything"

This is rich. There is no wire tapping done without the request of the Justice Department and the President has the power to declassify most anything he wants. If there is any evidence at all Trump needs only to order Jeff Sessions to present it.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Opposition of Russian activities on the grounds of its

Is he maintaining the idea that GCHQ does it? Because that is going down very poorly amongst some circles over here

There's some noise that the GCHQ story was started by Russia.

Well, we know where it came from. It came from a Fox news segment, and Trump flat out said that's where he got the info when he met with Merkel.
    http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/03/17/trump-merkel-press-conference-talk-to-fox-news-nr.cnn

It was Andrew Napolitano on Fox News spouting what, for him, is the usual conspiracy talk. Whether he was influenced by Russia, I dunno.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Cog wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Opposition of Russian activities on the grounds of its

Is he maintaining the idea that GCHQ does it? Because that is going down very poorly amongst some circles over here

There's some noise that the GCHQ story was started by Russia.

Well, we know where it came from. It came from a Fox news segment, and Trump flat out said that's where he got the info when he met with Merkel.
    http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/03/17/trump-merkel-press-conference-talk-to-fox-news-nr.cnn

It was Andrew Napolitano on Fox News spouting what, for him, is the usual conspiracy talk. Whether he was influenced by Russia, I dunno.

This is the same man who argued that the american civil war was wrong.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/whitey-tape-blogger-was-one-source-of-uk-wiretap-claim.html
    So where did Fox News’ “very talented legal mind” come up with this White House–boosted allegation? The New York Times and Politico report that one of the sources was former CIA analyst, blogger, and occasional Russia Today guest Larry C. Johnson, who infamously promoted the false rumor in 2008 that the GOP possessed a bombshell video in which former First Lady Michelle Obama had been recorded making disparaging remarks about white people — also known as the infamous “Whitey tape” hoax

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I bet Trump regrets not asking for Comey's resignation a couple weeks ago when he first disputed the Presidents wiretap claim.

If Comey resigns he doesn't testify. He's no longer privy to relevant information at that point.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    Could Trump ask for Comey's resignation now, or just fire him? What would happen then? I wouldn't put it past Trump to try something that stupid, and it seems guaranteed to create a constitutional crisis.

Hirocon wrote: »
    Could Trump ask for Comey's resignation now, or just fire him? What would happen then? I wouldn't put it past Trump to try something that stupid, and it seems guaranteed to create a constitutional crisis.

Removing Comey at this juncture for what is clearly self preservation would likely see a massive revolt in the agency against the president.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Sure he could fire him, but even he has to realize the optics of that. He gets Comey isn't his enemy, isn't out to get him.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I have no idea what this is trying to imply. Interesting that it came from the POTUS account.

Obama is the leaker?

What he's trying to imply is that everything is somebody else's fault.
    What he's actually saying is that he thinks that his ties to Russia are troubling.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Trump may publish any evidence, if it exists, if he wants to do so, without legal repercussion

Trump may fire Comey at will

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Oh my god firing Comey now would be kind of amazing and exactly what I would expect from Trump.

Just, so much fuel.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Trump may publish any evidence, if it exists, if he wants to do so, without legal repercussion

Trump may fire Comey at will

Yeah

but it then makes the DoJ unable to run an independent investigation

which would be a problem for them only insomuch as the GOP then calls an independent commission, so~~

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Trump may fire Comey but then Comey is trying hard not to get fired and really is Trump smart enough to realise Comey is basically saying "yeah sure, probably" to a lot of these questions? I think not

Also Comey is still part of their little gang of reprobates in many ways, so there's that. It's not like he's public enemy no.1 for the White House, not given that he basically committed political assassination on Clinton

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    If Trump fires Comey and there isn't immediately an independent investigation, there will be mobs in the streets.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    Comey confirms Republican servers were hacked but no information released.

So... they've got blackmail material, right? That's like really, really bad.

Republican politicians always have skeletons in their closets.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    There's no way Trump fires Comey and isn't immediately eviscerated by the court of public opinion.

And then the media? Forget blood in the water, that's Robert Shaw just before the shark bites him in half.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    There's no way Trump fires Comey and isn't immediately eviscerated by the court of public opinion.

And then the media? Forget blood in the water, that's Robert Shaw just before the shark bites him in half.

This also assumes Comey doesn't have, like, actual evidence he could then immediately release. Wouldn't be smart, but then, with this guy...

Did they give any indication of how much longer they think the investigation will take?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

This also assumes Comey doesn't have, like, actual evidence he could then immediately release. Wouldn't be smart, but then, with this guy...

Did they give any indication of how much longer they think the investigation will take?

November 4, 2020

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Trump's base still chants "Lock her up!" at campaign rallies he's hosting 3+ years before his next election.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Trump's base is irrelevant. They are who they are, and they only just managed to get their guy in.

We aren't interested in, or need them. Pissed of Dems and indie voters? Oh yeah.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Trump is -16 on approval according to Gallup.

You don't go to war with the media and win with those numbers.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

"As long as it takes."

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Butters wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »

According to Spicer "there's no evidence yet"

immediately after this when asked about the investigation into Russia by the FBI

"There's an investigation but that doesn't mean anything"

This is rich. There is no wire tapping done without the request of the Justice Department and the President has the power to declassify most anything he wants. If there is any evidence at all Trump needs only to order Jeff Sessions to present it.

Surely the question everyone has to keep asking is why Trump won't declassify the Obama recordings...

Tastyfish on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I think there's a distinct possibility that no one has told him he has that power.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Remember that Nixon got 60% of the vote and won every contest but Massachusetts and DC. Within 18 months he was the most reviled man in the country. The single moment that best changed that was the Saturday Night Massacre (though it was a slow burn) where he tried to fire the special prosecutor.

And he even lost half his base.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    OptimusZed wrote: »

This assumes that you are using logic to make your decisions as opposed to... whatever it it is that trump relies on (I think it might be have something to do with ambient humidity).

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

This assumes that you are using logic to make your decisions as opposed to... whatever it it is that trump relies on (I think it might be have something to do with ambient humidity).

Rage and humiliation, usually.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    syndalis wrote: »
    "Isn't it preposterous to say that Russians prefer Republicans over Democrats? Considering Ronald Reagan, McCain, etc?"

My answer to that would be "isn't it preposterous for black people to prefer Democrats over Republicans. Considering Lincoln"

Like, parties change, and somewhere along the way your asses got all authoritarian. Which makes you have more in common with what Russia has become under the leadership of Putin.

Caught up with the thread, so now I can post this responsibly:

Yes, it is preposterous. Incredible. Unbelievable. Insane, as someone who lived through the 80s, that we'd end up with a hawkish Democrat and a Republican candidate/President and party that's lining up to suck the bear off. You can't write this stuff.

And yet, here we are.

Commander Zoom on
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I think there's a distinct possibility that no one has told him he has that power.

I'm pretty sure Trump isn't quite sold on the idea that there are limits to his power, which is part of why he gets so unhinged when a court ruling doesn't go his way. (Didn't he try to order one of the judges who issued a stay on the first Muslim ban order fired before someone explained that no, that's not how that works?)

I don't think he's saying that Trump is too smart to pick this fight, just that there's no way Trump picks this fight and wins.

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Remember that Nixon got 60% of the vote and won every contest but Massachusetts and DC. Within 18 months he was the most reviled man in the country. The single moment that best changed that was the Saturday Night Massacre (though it was a slow burn) where he tried to fire the special prosecutor.

And he even lost half his base.

The current right is not the 70s right. I don't think trump ever falls below say, 30%, because that's just how braindead polarized we've become. This goes for the left, too, but we barely show up anyway.

I don't think he's saying that Trump is too smart to pick this fight, just that there's no way Trump picks this fight and wins.

We keep saying this...

We keep saying this...

Explain the circumstances that this works out well for him. Trump started his term off in the shitter and he's done nothing but plummet downward.

It's different now. Trump had an easy scapegoat in Clinton. Now he's got no where to pivot from the consequences, and it's not like the GOP is actually his ally so much as a set of fair-weather friends along for the ride.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Like the one one good thing about Trump being a dumbass is... he's a dumbass who is bad at making calculated decisions to further his own interests. He tries, for sure. But he's definitely bad at it.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I kind of think this tweet speaks for itself, but uh

yeah so this is kind of a big deal

We keep saying this...

Explain the circumstances that this works out well for him. Trump started his term off in the shitter and he's done nothing but plummet downward.

It's different now. Trump had an easy scapegoat in Clinton. Now he's got no where to pivot from the consequences, and it's not like the GOP is actually his ally so much as a set of fair-weather friends along for the ride.

Listen, I would love to see the masses rise up in support of a bipartisan panel, divide healing action to oust the president and to have all the folks who supported him driven into the sea because on his cllusion with russia alone (whether that be due to bribery, blackmail or abject stupidity) Trump is thoroughly unqualified for the office o president.

But the fact remains that we've said "He's bitten off more then he can chew. This is going to be the thing that fucks him. The trumpster fire has finally hit critical mass" more times then I count in the last 18 months and the base still keeps defending his incompetence.

So please understand my skepticism regarding him being screwed over for replacing the director of he FBI with some toady.

Oghulk wrote: »
    I kind of think this tweet speaks for itself, but uh

yeah so this is kind of a big deal

Man they can't even be bothered to use a fig leaf can they?

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why would you cover up something so huge?

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Assuming the worst of his campaign... my best guess, based on what we know now, it's going to come down to how loyal his campaign staffers are. Eventually one of them is going to get charged with something, and the GOP will throw them under the bus as quietly as possible.

So either that person keeps their gob shut and hopes for a pardon they won't get, or starts pointing fingers at the important people.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Why would you cover up something so huge?

I read this post, went to two more threads, then laughed out loud and came back to awesome it. Fantastic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.