As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    In automata
    I noticed almost immediately that none of the machines outside the factory are really trying to fight you until you fight them.

I'm really curious to see where all this is going with YoRHa and people and the resistance and the machines.

My running theory, because of a broadcast mentioning only a few hundred thousand people on the moon, is that humans have been dead for a really long time and the androids are still fighting because of glitched out broadcasts that keep repeating themselves. There's no way after thousands of years that there's only a few hundred thousand people alive on the moon.

Note I'm only in the first path right now.

rhylith on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Remeber that the inspiration for Nier was 9/11. Dead serious.

taro wanted to explore the idea of how somebody could do something so completely monstrous while feeling justified in their actions

the big problem with that is that the shadowlord is a selfish piece of shit and shades with a small exception are mindless monsters

every sentient shade attacks the party on sight without question based solely on circumstance too

The Shadowlord is just trying to enact the plan to save humanity as it's supposed to go. It's not his fault the Gestalts developed sentience for some reason.

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

he's just being a selfish dickbag

It was temporarily halted by losing Grimoire Weiss. It wasn't truly dead-in-the-water until basically the end of the game.

IKknkhU.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Leggy girls with wide hips, white hair, thigh gap, briefs, and big breasts. Yeah I guess that makes sense

I kind of wonder if Automata is going to do anything interesting with 2B's design like Nier (apparently?) tried to do with Kaine's

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Nier causes a whole lot of problems and inadvertently fucks up a lot of shit.

But from his point of view and with the limited knowledge he posses of the grander picture, everything he does is justified.

He really does not have another option available to him most of the time.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

taro wanted to explore the idea of how somebody could do something so completely monstrous while feeling justified in their actions

the big problem with that is that the shadowlord is a selfish piece of shit and shades with a small exception are mindless monsters

every sentient shade attacks the party on sight without question based solely on circumstance too

The Shadowlord is just trying to enact the plan to save humanity as it's supposed to go. It's not his fault the Gestalts developed sentience for some reason.

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

aren't they both purely motivated by wanting to save their Yonahs, they have identical motivations, just one for the replicant version and one for the gestalt version of her

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    turtleant wrote: »

But from his point of view and with the limited knowledge he posses of the grander picture, everything he does is justified.

he is the exact definition of the tragic hero as defined by antiquity

EDIT: his tragic flaw is ironically his stoicism

PiptheFair on
    turtleant wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not pinning all the blame on him.

For example, Devola and Popola could have influenced things in a more positive direction if they had treated Nier as more than just a dumb guy they could manipulate.

IKknkhU.gif

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

aren't they both purely motivated by wanting to save their Yonahs, they have identical motivations, just one for the replicant version and one for the gestalt version of her
    shadowlord kidnapped a sentient being and crammed his daughter in her body, that is explicitly not the same thing as trying to find a cure

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Oh nier automata spoiler
    There is a character from nier people missed!

Its Beepy!

He kinda ascended to godhood in a side book it turns out?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Oh nier automata spoiler
    There is a character from nier people missed!

Its Beepy!

He kinda ascended to godhood in a side book it turns out?

sure of course why not

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

shadowlord kidnapped a sentient being and crammed his daughter in her body, that is explicitly not the same thing as trying to find a cure
    So you're saying that by the point in time the game shows, the only morally correct thing for humanity to do is let itself slowly go insane and die out as shades.

Basically self-inflicted xenocide.

IKknkhU.gif

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

So you're saying that by the point in time the game shows, the only morally correct thing for humanity to do is let itself slowly go insane and die out as shades.

Basically self-inflicted xenocide.
    my ethical code prevents me from enslaving or subverting sentient beings

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

but he isn't though

the plan already failed

I mean he was completely desperate so he was making evil choices, but I think that was just because he knew there was no other way that his Yonah would survive, no magic flower that would stop her obliteration. If replicant Nier's choices were boiled down to a clear 'kill someone else's daughter, or let Yonah die,' would he make the same choice as the shadowlord, or would he make the opposite choice? I think he might well choose to kill if he were put into the same situation as the shadowlord was.

note this does not preclude the shadowlord being a selfish dickbag, I just think Nier is just as capable of making those evil choices, the only thing that's different between them is their circumstances.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The presentation, characters, and dialog in D3 are so great.

Weither that's worth it in conjustion with everything else is up to you.

yeah the creepy old guy following the emotionless girl around while constantly talking about how much he wanted to fuck her was quality scripting

and then you get piss jokes on top of it

the whole game is completely repulsive

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    he's not old he just fucks so much that it made him look old

Jars wrote: »
    he's not old he just fucks so much that it made him look old

Specifically because the girl he serves wants him to fuck that much.

The women hold all the power in Drak3.

IKknkhU.gif
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    also he has a huge dick

seriously huge

Jars wrote: »
    also he has a huge dick

seriously huge

A point is made of this

Also, like, the piss joke is probably the only piss joke I've ever liked?

It plays into the idea that Mikhail is basically a dog that can talk, and Zero treats him as such. So he does what dogs do and just goes wherever. And Zero reacts with an extremely relatable, "Really? You're gonna do this NOW?"

IKknkhU.gif
    Also, like, the piss joke is probably the only piss joke I've ever liked?

It plays into the idea that Mikhail is basically a dog that can talk, and Zero treats him as such. So he does what dogs do and just goes wherever. And Zero reacts with an extremely relatable, "Really? You're gonna do this NOW?"

He is also a child

Best joke by a mile is the Fairy King, though

IKknkhU.gif
    Best joke by a mile is the Fairy King, though

Actually it's "I surrender"

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Waypoint radio spoiled ending U today so I had to do that just to see it.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    The presentation, characters, and dialog in D3 are so great.

Weither that's worth it in conjustion with everything else is up to you.

yeah the creepy old guy following the emotionless girl around while constantly talking about how much he wanted to fuck her was quality scripting

and then you get piss jokes on top of it

the whole game is completely repulsive

For a minute there, I thought this was a crosspost from a Trump thread.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I saw a bit about that one of my news sites and wondered why I felt my twitter feed suddenly rumble

dN0T6ur.png
    edited March 2017

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I love that both the winner and runner up for Anime Is For Jurps' JRPG of the generation are getting sequels

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    In before it just turns out to be a remake for iPad.

Square you have forever burned me.

we've been good, dustin

we're finally being rewarded

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    rhylith wrote: »
    Waypoint radio spoiled ending U today so I had to do that just to see it.

That was the first ending I got and it was completely by accident. "Huh, that sounds like an interesting mechanic. Lemme give that a whirl and... oh. Huh."

I actually feel quite proud of that.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Madican wrote: »
    In before it just turns out to be a remake for iPad.

Square you have forever burned me.

I would be totally cool with this

edited March 2017
    also yes this could be a gacha game but time travel mechanics could be dope as shit in a gacha game

WeedLordVegeta on
    we've been good, dustin

we're finally being rewarded

It's no FFX-3, but I'll fuckin' take it

IKknkhU.gif
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Seriously what is up with cooking mechanics in JRPGs though

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Oh shit.

OH SHIT.

Holy fuck yes please new Radiant Historia oh my god that's all i've ever wanted.

Please not switch only, please for the love of god not switch only.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    surprise

vita only

liEt3nH.png
    Moriveth wrote: »

the common (and perhaps accurate) perception is that otaku can't cook so they provide the ability to have that satisfaction without actually doing anything

it's like blue apron except slightly less hoity toity

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

the common (and perhaps accurate) perception is that otaku can't cook so they provide the ability to have that satisfaction without actually doing anything

it's like blue apron except slightly less hoity toity

Oh man, that's actually pretty plausible, sadly

also lately I've been finding myself far more interested in JRPGs than WRPGs, and I dunno what's up with that

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I will cry if it's for iOS/Android.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    surprise

vita only

Fine with me, I actually own one of those.

This discussion has been closed.