As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest: A Wild DQ XI has appeared...on 3DS and PS4...and NX?!?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oh, no. I've said that "inverted camera-controls" doesn't actually mean anything in the industry, because there is no agreement among devs on whether that's referring to the operation of an imagined camera-tripod or the movement of the focus of vision itself.

But this game doesn't even use the same language for the shoulderbuttons as for the d-pad. When one is set to "default" and the other is set to "inverted", they work the same way.

• Options
    Oh, maybe I should mention this sooner rather than later. Even though Red is a good option for stealing, maybe you'll want to save a few points for Steal Sickle, as the best method for farming Skill Seeds still involves stealing without ending a battle.

• Options
    Hey, downloads are happening in Europe! And it's the good one, that makes Steal Sickle deal one point of damage.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Just checked for NA, nothing yet here.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I believe DQ is more popular in Europe (or at least France?) so I wouldn't put it past NoA to not bother here.
    PLA wrote: »
    And it's the good one, that makes Steal Sickle deal one point of damage.
    I remember getting a steal while killing a monster in the PS2 DQVIII, so I guess it's not like DQVII's Klepto Clobber where they have to survive, I'm guessing the 1 HP damage is to maximize the number tries on a single monster?

homogenized on
  • Options
    Yes, you can get a steal on a kill, but as far as the game is technically concerned you can keep trying the same monster until it eventually works. So you can just put it on fast forward and auto pilot steal sickles and hustle dances until it eventually works.

• Options
    In fact, I got a steal on kill a couple of hours ago.

Oh, yeah. Yangus is resistant to certain fire-attacks, Angelo to some ice-attacks, Mr. Hero to curses, and I think Jessica resists the wind-spells or thrown rocks. I wonder if Red and Morrie have anything.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Maaaaan. I forgot how awful boss fights in DQ8 are. Why does every boss have the buff despell ability? It's not a good design choice.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    That move has been their lazy balancing since DQ3. Nah we're not gonna balance the combat, just copy the general formula from game to game and put in a "fuck you" so players don't get too used to buffs.

• Options
    Atlus and Golden Sun have the same thing.

• Options
    I guess I've been lucky when playing DQ games, because I haven't played one where I ever really saw wave of ice. Especially not with how much they use it in 8.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Only a few bosses tend to have it, usually the very late game encounters. I think only the final boss and the bonus boss actually use it in DQ7. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think they're also more likely to use it the more buffs you have on you on a given turn.

• Options
    unlike DQ8, where basically everything past the halfway point has it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I got a Seed of Strength. Guess random knicknacks also appear in downloads.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I never finished DQB. Chapter 2 was a bit of a slog. The sickness element, and having to wait though nightly cycles for new townsfolk to be healed and all the other restrictions of that chapter killed the momentum that the first chapter had.

Is Chapter 3 any better? I really enjoyed the game, just chapter 2 draaaaaagggggged.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I never finished DQB. Chapter 2 was a bit of a slog. The sickness element, and having to wait though nightly cycles for new townsfolk to be healed and all the other restrictions of that chapter killed the momentum that the first chapter had.

Is Chapter 3 any better? I really enjoyed the game, just chapter 2 draaaaaagggggged.
    Chapter 2 is the lowest part of the game.

Chapter 3 fuckin' rules. Though it does start out a bit iffy because you don't have much access to healing items.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    I wish that they'd include more cosmetic stuff in the chapters, and bigger plots.

The building is actually very well done and compelling, and I sincerely hope for a sequel.

The top of my list of improvements for a sequel would be

-Bigger town plots
    -More cosmetic items
    -More buildings with functions
    -Multiplayer

Regarding chapter 2: The starting NPC and town healer is a Nun. Perfect opportunity for the player to build a bigass healing church. Missed opportunity. I want to craft a massive cathedral dedicated to the healing of all of these sick people. Instead I just have a fairly lame sick-room.

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Huh, from what I've been reading, Red has a way better steal effect than Yangus to the point where she totally replaces him for anything besides metal slime farming.

I mean keep in mind, "better than garbage" isn't the same thing as "good"

And what are you basing this on?

Everything I'm reading says she's a beast. A passive that can auto-steal on the last enemy killed in an encounter(whether or not she gets the killing blow) and sword ability that hits 6-8 times for 40% weapon damage that even works with a metal sword. Even if you like Yangus better because <insert reason here>, that's still crazy.

Also a resurrect fan skill and an aoe fan skill that's completely superior to Thin Air while not even needing to go unarmed.

Which is strange since isn't she supposed to be an adequate at best fighter according to the story?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I don't remember anybody saying that she's bad at fighting.
    She used to swing around some radical ball and chain, though.

Red's got a thing in common with Mr. Hero, by the by. Early Defending Champion. Angelo's is at more than eighty points, so you won't have that for a while even if you try.
    Great ability, in some cases. You can just decide to not take physical damage for a turn.

PLA on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I don't remember anybody saying that she's bad at fighting.
    She used to swing around some radical ball and chain, though.

Red's got a thing in common with Mr. Hero, by the by. Early Defending Champion. Angelo's is at more than eighty points, so you won't have that for a while even if you try.
    Great ability, in some cases. You can just decide to not take physical damage for a turn.

I believe it was in the dungeon with the Ghost pirate. Yangus mentions that Red is better at sneaking around unseen than fighting, but I may be mis-remembering it. I haven't reached that part in the new version yet, and it's been a long time since I played the PS2 one.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    That sounds familiar. Don't remember, though.

I think I won't pick up Heroes 2 until I know more about the Switch-thing.

PLA on
  • Options
    Just got Morrie and man is he ridiculous. He has an ability that causes monsters on the field to attack you on sight regardless of monster type, which means metal slime family enemies will attack you rather than book it. This is almost as broken as DQ7's strategy of loading King Metal Slimes into a farm tablet.

• Options
    Seems like Switch gets more characters, so I guess it seems like the way to go, so far.

There's speculation of the fancy DQ8-downloads being one per fortnight. It all adds up to September, using the list of fancy items in Japan.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I've been eyeing that on the Switch as well. Have they announced a release date for that yet? I haven't seen anything in regards to that yet.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    I've been eyeing that on the Switch as well. Have they announced a release date for that yet? I haven't seen anything in regards to that yet.

It's a launch title in Japan, but still TBA anywhere else.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Erdrick's sword is happening. Might be delayed a few days in America.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Turns out in practice Red's steal is amazingly bad. The way it works is that if it activates it rolls the monster's drop chance one more time. If it hits, you get the item - otherwise you just get some amount of gold. So it manages to be even worse than Yangus' steal. I don't understand what the mindset is with the DQ developers insisting that DQ games have to have a shitty drop/steal rate on everything, this isn't an MMO - there's no valid design decision behind forcing people to grind that much in a single player game.

On the plus side, Blade Cascade is absolutely bonkers. 6-8 sword hits for 40% weapon damage, way higher than anything else in the game.

And apparently there's a bug where your Download Bonus Items function will always say that there are no items available even if there are. Turns out the only way to fix it is to go into 3DS data management and delete your "Extra" data. This will of course erase all of your photos/postcards from your game so you will want to turn in your photos to Cameron's Codex before doing this. I lost out on about two weeks of bonus items before learning it wasn't because America just wasn't getting anything. Way go to, SE.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    It needs to be worse than Yangus'. It's automatic. Yangus' could have been better, though.

PLA on
  • Options
    And apparently there's a bug where your Download Bonus Items function will always say that there are no items available even if there are. Turns out the only way to fix it is to go into 3DS data management and delete your "Extra" data. This will of course erase all of your photos/postcards from your game so you will want to turn in your photos to Cameron's Codex before doing this. I lost out on about two weeks of bonus items before learning it wasn't because America just wasn't getting anything. Way go to, SE.
    Bah! Bah, I say! I really hope they cycle through again, this is totally on them for screwing this up. I don't think they can just unlock all the bonus items at once like they're doing/did with DQVII's special tablets.

• Options
    Yeah I'm done with this game. Completed the first bonus area but the second bonus area is a boss marathon hallway with a bunch of stupid gimmicks. Reached one that attacks three times in a turn, spams group death/disruption wave and their melee always crits and always for more than your base max health because defense does nothing because crits ignore defense because yeah they really needed to do that. On top of that, leaving early means you have to do most of the marathon over again.

You get stat seeds from refilling chests after each boss so apparently they expect you to farm up to it and then repeat until you don't instantly die(unless the boss attacks the same character multiple times because of course it will). I'm not doing that degenerate nonsense.

• Options
    Healie hat is up! Just a little MP-increase.

• Options
    Oh hey, they finally fixed the server issue that just happened to start on Change Your Clock For No Good Reason Day. With the lack of care they're giving this game my hopes for getting any version of DQXI in English are dropping ever lower.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I have a feeling localization will come down to whether Nintendo decides to fund the massive amount of localization it needs, and a willingness to put more strain on servers that won't be completely ready until fall.

So yeah, chances are low.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DQXI was already announced for all regions. Why would they not localize it?

And what game are you talking about for server problems? Did you import DQX?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh doy, for some reason I thought he was talking about DQX. Sorry!

Yeah, DQ 11 should come here no sweat.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh hey a DQ thread.

Have you guys seen these rad town shots?

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/dragon-quest-xi-details-towns-fields-dungeons-camp

• Options
    Those are really rad town shots.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    DQXI was already announced for all regions. Why would they not localize it?

And what game are you talking about for server problems? Did you import DQX?
    I'm cynical about "DQ outside Japan".

The server issue was the bonus downloads not working in DQVIII in NA, AU, and other places that began on the start of DST and only started working again a couple of days ago. This was different from the Extra Data bug that plagues the localized version of DQVIII, as it actually threw up a 3DS system message when it tried and failed to connect to the server.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Prepare to prepare for the release date announcement of Dragon Quest XI on April 11th

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular