As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Carbine, Turbine, what-ever-bine. I think the moral of the story is that if you have "bine" in your name you're gonna have a rough time.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I hope I wasn't being a jerk there, I just thought someone should make the correction.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    THE SECRET WORLD has an Amusement-Park-As-Focus-Of-Evil chapter in one of its starter zones, if that type of thing appeals to you.

The Secret World is definitely a case of having the right touch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx-mla7a8jU

Jeffrey Combs is always a delight.

Nathaniel Winters sought immortality and got half his wish.

That's one of those things you really don't wanna mess up. Because either it'll be over very quick (and ugly and messy), or you're gonna have to live with the consequences for a very long time.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    it's an ncsoft moba if anyone is wondering wtf is going on

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'll just say it myself.

How fucking dare they.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    FUCKIN CALLED IT
    Narbus wrote: »
    I was talking with a buddy and we came to the conclusion that, had they managed to hold on just a little while longer, CoX would have translated amazingly well to a MOBA.

edited March 2017
    Well beyond them adding Statesman it has absolutely nothing to do with CoX. It's just them deciding... "Hey let's throw the figurehead character from the still profitable MMO we killed for no fucking reason into our attempt to make a shitty LoL HotS clone!"

Arthil on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Wow.
    I thought this thread had depressed me as far as a thread about a dead MMO could.

Congrats NCsoft, you proved me wrong.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is like trying to play fetch with your dog's corpse.

It's going to end in tears.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Just tossing the dead dog at people in the park.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Why is this happening. WHY?

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Why is this happening. WHY?

$$$$$ most likely.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Fetch!

*splat*

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Nice to see NCsoft isn't above reanimating dead franchises in one last attempt to wring cash out of its shambling corpse. I wonder if they're bringing in anything from Tabula Rasa, too.

Nice to see NCsoft isn't above reanimating dead franchises in one last attempt to wring cash out of its shambling corpse. I wonder if they're bringing in anything from Tabula Rasa, too.

Or Auto Assault.

Not so fun fact, I had to look up Auto Assault to see if that was NCsoft as well. The wiki article ends with this:
    On July 2, 2007, it was officially announced that Auto Assault's servers would be shut down August 31 and that the subscribers' accounts would be 'reconciled'. Offers to continue to run servers by various parties were denied, but additional “Parting Gifts” were sent via e-mail with, "...opportunities to take a part in some of our other products, including Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes..."

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Rage meter maxed. Resolve to boycott NCsoft for another 4 years renewed.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    I forgot about Auto Assault.

NCsoft really does just have a mass grave of MMOs in their backyard, don't they?

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

NCsoft really does just have a mass grave of MMOs in their backyard, don't they?

Realistically, that's every MMO producer not named "Blizzard".

edited March 2017
    I hate how true that is. So many games that didn't have to be MMOs being made as MMOs because companies wanted a slice of that WoW market.

Seems to have slowed down, at least. Hopefully.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    Difference being is CoX was actually making money compared to the rest.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Fuck NCSoft. They murdered this game out of stupid spite, and now they're molesting the corpse? I hope locusts eat their fucking eyeballs.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Some more info, if you want to see it.
    It's not Marcus Cole (backstory from the devs, via MMO-Central):
    In 2012, Marcus Cole, the Hero known as Statesman, died at the hands of a villain named Darren Wade. While the heroes of Paragon City carried on, their alliances were tense at best. When Earth was attacked by the Battalion, an alien race bent on destruction, the remaining Vanguard turned to an unlikely ally for assistance. This man put forth an idea; the people of Earth needed a symbol to rally behind. They needed the Statesman.
    The war raged on and just when it seemed as if all hope was lost, a figure not seen in years flew onto the battlefield. Seeing the Statesman alive and leading the battle, the people of the world rallied and defeated the Battalion. In the aftermath, Statesman spoke to the world and revealed the secret behind his reappearance. While he was indeed Marcus Cole, he had previously been known by a more infamous name, Tyrant, Statesman’s doppelganger from Praetorian Earth. The real Statesman was truly dead, but Tyrant had proven his point; a symbol is only as powerful as those who follow it. Still, the experience changed Tyrant, and for the first time since the great wars of the past, the once power-hungry Emperor felt as if he had served a truly noble cause.
    Even after his actions, Tyrant knew he would never live down his past infamy and searched for a new place he could live out his days in peace. He discovered a connection between worlds much like that between Primal and Praetorian Earths and found himself in a place where people controlled no powers, but had adapted themselves through advanced technology. When Atlas was brought online and began its subsequent reign of terror, Tyrant couldn’t help but smile at the irony that the name Atlas once inspired hope in Paragon City. But if a name can change negatively, then one can change benevolently as well. With the return of the Dredgion, the first decisive battle against the Synd was won, thanks greatly to help from forces on the ground. And standing atop the pile of broken machinery, leading the charge, was a man in a polished silver mask with a bright white star on his chest, calling himself Statesman.

He also has an alternate Tyrant costume
    mxm-statesmantyrantskin.jpg

At least the music in the trailer was good? And it's kinda cool that they're doing the Tyrant thing that COH's writers were planning on doing. I dunno.

edited March 2017

Probably more business-mindedly insidious than that. Can't say what Korean trademark law is like, but with US law you gotta use something from what you own somewhere or it can be forfeit. What better way to ensure the CoX franchise remains firmly under their shoe than tossing an iconic character into their Heroes of the Storm clone.

Arthil on
    It's probably an attempt to draw CoX addicts to their MOBA and build a base to compete with HotS/LoL/DotA

edited March 2017
    That's actually significantly more attention to detail than I was expecting.

Actually, that got me curious so I went to the actual Master X Master site and found Statesman's page. Almost every one of his abilities is a City of Heroes power. Flying Haymaker, Unyielding, Unstoppable, Dull Pain, Foot Stomp.

I possess a lot of bitterness about NCsoft and what happened to the game, but whoever worked on Statesman actually seemed to care about doing it right. It's a lot more than I would've expected, so hats off to them!

Gennenalyse Rueben on
    At the very least you'll be able to beat up characters from Blade & Soul and Wildstar, so I guess it has that :rotate:

Statesman doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast AT ALL, it's both hilarious and sad. You've got like 8 generic anime boob ladies, crazy fantasy shit, a cat dude from Wildstar, and then just this classic superhero.

Actually now that I think about it...that's way more like City of Heroes than I first realized.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Well, this is weird.

:so_raven:
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    At the very least you'll be able to beat up characters from Blade & Soul and Wildstar, so I guess it has that :rotate:

Statesman doesn't fit in with the rest of the cast AT ALL, it's both hilarious and sad. You've got like 8 generic anime boob ladies, crazy fantasy shit, a cat dude from Wildstar, and then just this classic superhero.

Hey man, the two characters they took from Blade and Soul are actually pretty cool.

I could not stand how hard it was the keep up enough to "play" that game, but it actually had a semi interesting plot (at least the real one, not the butchered english one) and some well above average characters for an MMO.

edited March 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    It's probably an attempt to draw CoX addicts to their MOBA and build a base to compete with HotS/LoL/DotA

How many CoX addicts are still out there that this would be a profitable demographic to target?
    I mean, I know there's a lot of people who look back fondly on the game, but enough who'd be willing to pick up a new MOBA and start shelling out the micropayments to NCsoft?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I know which circle of the venn diagram I'm in.
    I'm just thinking that most likely they saw Heroes of the Storm making $Blizzard and figured "Hey, we can do that too, go down and grab a couple dozen characters at random from whatever IPs are nearest the door...".

see317 on
    edited March 2017
    I signed up for beta
    I have to see it for myself

also I've never willingly played a MOBA by myself for more than 2 hours l o l

Crippl3 on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    yeah I can't imagine that many people even care who statesman is, and of their number not many who look at his include in a hagiographic roster of NCSoft properties as some kind of selling point

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm personally fairly sure that if we were to describe reality with Venn diagrams then the intersection between "People who like Statesman" and "People who are willing to buy NCsoft games" includes...less than 100 people? People in this intersection also belong in one of two groups A."People who are willing to forgive anything" or B. "People who have no soul".

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    ...I bought Guild Wars 2 because it was $10 one time.

GW2 has been my only real exception honestly, just cause the devs are awesome and don't deserve punishment for the suits on high being stupid.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Like @Kai_San above, I've been dipping my toes into WildStar lately, I'm afraid to admit. NCSoft has a long and ugly history with western developers, and whatever grudge I might have with their Dark Lord, it doesn't really seem fair to lay it at the feet of the guys who've been lucky enough not to draw the Eye of Sauron yet.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

Realistically, that's every MMO producer not named "Blizzard".

Or Square-Enix! Their games are still going strong.

Zenimax is doing alright too.

Does Zenimax have any other MMO's besides Elder Scrolls Online?

camo_sig2-400.png