As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny] Age of Triumph: Everything Old is New Again! The Vault of Glass Beckons!

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    New Fatebringer looks like a hybrid of old Fatebringer and Imogen Loop. Gold/Light Bronze and White.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    A Fatebringer/Imago Loop from a different timeline, I guess.

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Fakebringer, boo! :P

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Maybe it's an ornament?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm guessing cutting lose the old gen let them go nuts with effects on them
    SIVA swarms
    Maybe it's an ornament?
    Yeah, I bet there's gonna be future!vex and past!vex ornaments.

Ya, I was thinking Future/Past versions would be awesome.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Any chance VoG/CE Y3 weapons have elemental primaries?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Any chance VoG/CE Y3 weapons have elemental primaries?

Yes, I think there was even an Arc Anguish of Drystan shown.

We'll know on Weds one way or the other.

But rampant and baseless speculation is fun dammit

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Not really sure it counts as baseless when Bungie themselves said they were bringing elemental primaries back and the raid gear is the bulk of what they are bringing back.

I guess they could just mean exotics like the Mythoclast and Necrochasm being elemental primaries though, I doubt it but its possible.

Sirialis on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Not really sure it counts as baseless when Bungie themselves said they were bringing elemental primaries back and the raid gear is the bulk of what they are bringing back.

I guess they could just mean exotics like the Mythoclast and Necrochasm being elemental primaries though, I doubt it but its possible.

Eh, while I'd prefer all the old raid weapons in their elemental glory, I would also be ok with having one of every element as exotics. Mythoclast and Necrochasm would fill in the blanks.

Not that I've ever seen Necrochasm because fuck the crux. Or the crux fucks me. One or the other.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I was making a joke but yes, it's more than 90 percent happening from what they've shown.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I want elemental ornaments you can stick into any primary.

• awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    The one thing we haven't heard about at all is Pocket Infinity. Do we think that's coming back, too? There's a potential exotic quest there, since it's supposed to be a reverse-engineered Mythoclast, right?

awsimo on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Eh, while I'd prefer all the old raid weapons in their elemental glory, I would also be ok with having one of every element as exotics. Mythoclast and Necrochasm would fill in the blanks.

Not that I've ever seen Necrochasm because fuck the crux. Or the crux fucks me. One or the other.

Necrochasm is Arc though

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Necrochasm is Arc though

Yeah, I've never understood how Bungie assigns element types to Exotics. Necrochasm seems like such an obvious choice for a Void primary.

Then in the Heavy slot, you have eight Solar weapons, three Void, and only two Arc. Special is just as weird, with seven Arc, five Solar (six if you count P/I), and only a single Void.

Why? Because of reasons.

EDIT: And we only have more variety in Heavy is because they felt compelled to make three flavors of Sword and three flavors of Thunderlord. Otherwise, it would only be two Void and one Arc.

awsimo on
    awsimo wrote: »

Necrochasm is Arc though

Yeah, I've never understood how Bungie assigns element types to Exotics. Necrochasm seems like such an obvious choice for a Void primary.

Then in the Heavy slot, you have eight Solar weapons, three Void, and only two Arc. Special is just as weird, with seven Arc, five Solar (six if you count P/I), and only a single Void.

Why? Because of reasons.

7ndd02wzgnlj.png

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Necrochasm is Arc though

Actually I think Necrochasm makes more sense as Arc because of its perk of making enemies explode with a Cursed Thrall explosion, which they are Arc.

I do agree their decisions on flavoring can be dumb though. Nemesis Star totally should have been Void.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Btw, Necrochasm is really satisfying to use in the Crucible (even if it doesn't fit the meta). The explosion is very distinctive, and you get this great echoing scream sound effect. I really hope the people you kill can hear it, too. :P

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Necrochasm is Arc though

Why? Because of reasons.

EDIT: And we only have more variety in Heavy is because they felt compelled to make three flavors of Sword and three flavors of Thunderlord. Otherwise, it would only be two Void and one Arc.

'member when they made a fusion rifle that could pick and choose elements and then never bothered to utilize that mechanic again?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited March 2017
    Oh yeah, I 'member!

Murmur, right? I remember loving that gun, it had that awesome bell sound. Didn't it also change impact/charge rate when you switched elements?

awsimo on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    STUPID NEW DESTINY GUY QUESTION

Aside from burns, how much difference does the element of a weapon even make? I mean I wish my Saladin's Vigil made people disappear in purple or blue shimmers, not red, but I'm not too bummed out about it.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Back in the day I'd have a murmur and an icebreaker on every character. I'd love it if murmur came back.

• RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Aside from burns, how much difference does the element of a weapon even make? I mean I wish my Saladin's Vigil made people disappear in purple or blue shimmers, not red, but I'm not too bummed out about it.

Different enemies have different shield types that are weak to corresponding elements

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think the element only matters if you're using it against that same type of shield . Aside from that there isn't a damage boost over kinetic.

EDIT: what Remington said.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
    edited March 2017

Without a burn, the element only makes a difference if the enemy you're facing has a shield. If you match your weapon's element to the enemy's shield type you get a damage bonus, and a mismatched element takes a damage penalty. But that only applies to the shield itslef, not enemy health.

Basically you want to match elements to burn down shields. That's it.

awsimo on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Remington wrote: »

Different enemies have different shield types that are weak to corresponding elements

Yep.

And when you see "!!!" as the damage dealt it's because you're hurting them anyway because who cares about resistances.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular

Without a burn, the element only makes a difference if the enemy you're facing has a shield. If you match your weapon's element to the enemy's shield type you get a damage bonus, and a mismatched element takes a damage penalty. But that only applies to the shield itslef, not enemy health.

But is it that big a deal or just nice to have? I mean I looked at a table and the different Taken majors all have different element types, you couldn't possible match them all.

Also I am loving Mayhem Clash lately, it has been p fun.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I hope Destiny 2 has a more interesting elemental system. The current system is half-baked and largely irrelevant outside of elemental burn modifiers.

edited March 2017

But is it that big a deal or just nice to have? I mean I looked at a table and the different Taken majors all have different element types, you couldn't possible match them all.

It kinda depends on the level of the activity you're doing. For example, at 400, when I'm doing Heroic Strikes I don't really think about element types at all. (Unless Match Game is a modifier, then you kinda have to.)

But if I'm in WotM, using a Void shotgun against Splicer Captains (who have Arc shields) isn't gonna get me very far. At that difficulty, I'll do much better if I start matching types. (Thankfully, there aren't many shielded enemies in the raid.) It can be pretty important in Nightfalls too, depending on the modifiers.

Certain weapons do enough damage that they can kinda blow past element type. Dark Drinker, for example, will liquefy just about anything regardless of shield status, as will Gjallarhorn. Most Supers will do enough damage to wipe out shields, too.

Element types were far more important in Year 1, when Burns did 3x damage and came up as modifiers much more often. (Multi-Burns used to come up in Prison of Elders all the freakin' time.) That's why elemental primaries were so dominant at the time, to the point that Fatebringer and Vision of Confluence outclassed even Exotic primaries.

awsimo on
    You could say that it's a big deal in the sense that it is a fairly large increase to the damage against the shield. Makes shielded enemies go down a good deal faster, and seeing as shielded enemies tend to be tougher than most, having bonus damage against them in particular is nice.
    However, if you mean big deal in the sense of like "is basic stuff like running strikes going to be too difficult or too slow without it," no. Like you mentioned, missions tend to have too many different types of shields to really make use of the mechanic that much without spending more time switching between weapons than I feel like spending.

Arteen wrote: »
    I hope Destiny 2 has a more interesting elemental system. The current system is half-baked and largely irrelevant outside of elemental burn modifiers.

I always thought it would be interesting to give Guardians shield types according to their subclasses, and even extend that into PvP. It would add a layer of strategy to choosing the right subclass depending on what enemies you'll face in a mission/strike, and in the Crucible it would encourage switching subclass and loadout to throw the other team off.

Arteen wrote: »

I always thought it would be interesting to give Guardians shield types according to their subclasses, and even extend that into PvP. It would add a layer of strategy to choosing the right subclass depending on what enemies you'll face in a mission/strike, and in the Crucible it would encourage switching subclass and loadout to throw the other team off.
    That would mean a lot of time going into the menu and switching around items and subclasses, and I think that rock paper scissors would become too much of a deciding factor in PvP engagements.
    It does feel sorta odd to have that mechanic just not be a thing in PvP, but I don't think there'd be a good way to implement it.

Yeah, I guess it would really favor people with deep inventories who have enough special weapons to change out in the middle of a match. You would need to make shield type immediately obvious, too. I can see why they wouldn't do it.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    G'morning all, I'm looking for 3 more for a PS4 1pm Eastern WotM HM raid today. If anyone is available and up for it, let me know. And if not, I guess I'll be sad or something.

I am dying to see all of WOTM, but I don't think we have enough active folks PS4 side right now. I'm trying to train up a couple folks right now, and a friend of mine is 400 and hasn't raided in a while. We might have to wait for Age of Triumph to launch, but we might be able to do something.
    I'm active but I don't check the forum that regularly and I'm in a different clan (since I could never get an invite to the PA clan on PS4). Feel free to add me and message me through PSN since those pop up on my phone, I'm more likely to possibly be available. Still have tons of PS4 stuff to get done, including the Outbreak Prime quest and flawless raider and a whole heap of rando. The bells song thing!

Re:elements in PvP... doesn't the armor perk that reduces elemental damage work on elemental weapons/abilities?

• RemingtonRemington Registered User regular

I think with 3 guardians with varied up weapon elements it can be helpful, but honestly I never pay attention to it. I just dump way too many bullets into their shields and then bitch that I never have enough ammo.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    Splicer Captains have Void Shields

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Between Primary, Special, and Class grenades/melee, you can cover all shield types. That's why I really liked having elemental primaries in year one.

That's still how I plan my loadouts, tbh, except I factor in Heavy instead of Primary. Voidwalker gets an arc special and a solar heavy, Striker gets a solar heavy and void special, etc

ObiFett on
  • ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    Remington wrote: »

I think with 3 guardians with varied up weapon elements it can be helpful, but honestly I never pay attention to it. I just dump way too many bullets into their shields and then bitch that I never have enough ammo.

There's a simple answer to this problem...
    qvn1564mlln8.jpg

:rotate:

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
This discussion has been closed.