As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] World. PS4 Beta on 12/9. Welcome new Hunters!

• DacDac Registered User regular
    "Not an explicit denial" means precisely jack shit to me.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Also capcom can die in a fire if they expect me to buy a 300$ system that is out of stock, and the 80$ controller for people with real sized hands on top of the game. Also pay whatever the cost of nintendo online? no thanks...

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to cart.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i expect generations u will never come to the states, and mh5u will release in 2019 at the earliest, so you probably won't have to worry for a while?

i feel like telling a company to die in a fire because they move on from an old platform is a bit of a silly thing to say.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well MH: Switch is going to happen. I doubt any time soon, but it'll happen. Nintendo has probably* discontinued production of the 3DS and the Switch looks like it'll continue to do well for itself so it'd be a no brainer for them.

*I say 'probably' because when asked if that is what they did Nintendo basically responded with "no comment".

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Also capcom can die in a fire if they expect me to buy a 300$ system that is out of stock, and the 80$ controller for people with real sized hands on top of the game. Also pay whatever the cost of nintendo online? no thanks...

We've covered this in the Switch thread numerous times. I would rather not we have these tired arguments in here.

If Capcom chooses the switch as it's next platform, and it is likely, you'll have to make the choice then if your love for MH outweighs your appearant to hate for the Switch.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    I should just buy a jpn 3ds for stories and xx

J3qcnBP.png
    fRAWRst wrote: »

They finally released jpn 2ds'. You might be able to get one cheap.

Is there not a shortage of jpn 3d's like other regions?
    Entaru wrote: »

We'vecovered this in the Switch thread numerous times. I would rather not we have these tired arguments in here.

If Capcom chooses the switch as it's next platform, and it is likely, you'll have to make the choice then if your love for MH outweighs tour appearant to hate for the Switch.

Also it shouldn't have to be a choice, the games are already made. Mmxx would already even be 2/3 translated! I'm reasonably sure there are still more 3ds in people's homes than switches, so it's not like the switch would be a bigger market. It makes way more sense to at least make xx for the 3d's than anything else. I won't hold my breath for mh stories, but not releasing a game that is already 2/3 translated on the system it was natively made on makes no sense.

I'll worry about mh5 when it is announced for the west in 3 years, for now id like to fight some damned deviant flagships on my 3ds. This wouldn't even be an issue if Nintendo hadn't region locked the 3ds unlike every other console that is region free. You hardly even need to read in the game if you've played it for a bit and know the icons.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    This wouldn't even be an issue if Nintendo hadn't region locked the 3ds unlike every other console that is region free. You hardly even need to read in the game if you've played it for a bit and know the icons.

Oh man; I didn't even think about that. Region free Switch means that half the people in this thread will probably be "importing" MH5 on the eShop at release.

Frem wrote: »
    This wouldn't even be an issue if Nintendo hadn't region locked the 3ds unlike every other console that is region free. You hardly even need to read in the game if you've played it for a bit and know the icons.

Oh man; I didn't even think about that. Region free Switch means that half the people in this thread will probably be "importing" MH5 on the eShop at release.

I have my Japanese eshop account ready and waiting for that possible future.

Knight_ wrote: »
    i expect generations u will never come to the states, and mh5u will release in 2019 at the earliest, so you probably won't have to worry for a while?

i feel like telling a company to die in a fire because they move on from an old platform is a bit of a silly thing to say.

If Caps doesn't bring GenU to the States because it'd be almost a year after the Switch came out, then they can go fuck themselves, tbh. Maybe don't stagger your releases by nine fucking months, then?

edited March 2017
    Didnt 4U and Gen sell like almost a million combined in NA?

cant see why they wouldnt translate XX

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png

Is there not a shortage of jpn 3d's like other regions?
    Entaru wrote: »

We'vecovered this in the Switch thread numerous times. I would rather not we have these tired arguments in here.

If Capcom chooses the switch as it's next platform, and it is likely, you'll have to make the choice then if your love for MH outweighs tour appearant to hate for the Switch.

Also it shouldn't have to be a choice, the games are already made. Mmxx would already even be 2/3 translated! I'm reasonably sure there are still more 3ds in people's homes than switches, so it's not like the switch would be a bigger market. It makes way more sense to at least make xx for the 3d's than anything else. I won't hold my breath for mh stories, but not releasing a game that is already 2/3 translated on the system it was natively made on makes no sense.

I'll worry about mh5 when it is announced for the west in 3 years, for now id like to fight some damned deviant flagships on my 3ds. This wouldn't even be an issue if Nintendo hadn't region locked the 3ds unlike every other console that is region free. You hardly even need to read in the game if you've played it for a bit and know the icons.

is there a shortage? im in canada and there are tons

i have a feeling gen U will be announced near e3 for a summer release. but that might be hopeful thinking

J3qcnBP.png
    edited March 2017
    I would imagine they announce a MHXX and an MHXX HD for the switch. I doubt they would just sell only the switch version because that doesn't make any sense. Why throw away sales?

In that Scenario I would hope they can play together because I would be buying the HD version.

But let's not kid anyone. I would buy both.

Seidkona on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I would be perfectly happy with future games not keeping hunter arts. Then again, I used a Hunting Horn, so I'm not sure how valid my opinion is there.

I'm a bit the reverse. I wouldn't blink at Styles being gone, seeing how I basically only used one style per weapon anyway except on extremely specific fights (read: I changed to Aerial to fight Gammoth) and these styles were invariably Guild or Striker, most often Guild, but I would miss Hunter arts because I did use those.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I did some weird and cool stuff with hunter arts. My favorite combo was to use Anti-Virus on my armor and then use the frenzy virus vial to self inflict myself.

There are so many good options with that system that as it expands allows for a lot of customization choices. I really do hope it does not go away.

edited March 2017
    MHXX eng kiranico is up

https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/dai

fRAWRsts GS review for big men and big swords

Tiggy GS is still king: 340 raw (!!!) natural purple, 1 slot and still same -15% affinity (so its still amazing for utility sets w/o needing S+1/2, freeing up points for crit boost and WE etc)

It still easily out classes GrimClaw, which maxes out at 310 raw and natural purple. No slots and only 10% affinity kills it,

Even Maxed out HB glav stands up, 300 raw 5% affinity natural purple but 35 (!!!!) blast. 10 raw for 35 blast is pretty easy choice.

King Attilart Blade aka Diablos GS has 350 raw, -20% affinity, 0 slots and needs atleast s+1 to get purple, limiting it in sets.

Jewelled Greatsword / Inscribed Greatsword / Nephthys is arguably the best all rounder, 330 raw, 3 slots, +60 defense, natural purple. which makes it seem dope for all kinds of fun sets. HGE? CE+2? AUL? 3 slots makes it happen cap'n

Chivalry / Indignant Scar / Valiance Mark has 390 raw (!!!!) but only goes to white, and no slots. Getting close to 400 raw is hype af but it needs sharpness +1/2

Akantor and Ukanalos GS have 370 and 360, but blue/white is the best they get. Definitely not meta defining.

new flagship gets a mention, 300 raw, half the bar is natural white (never gets purple), 2 slots and 55 dragon

The Deviant Diablos Massacre Blade / Massacre Bedlam / Massacre Vladis. It NEEDs s+2, has no slots, -30% affinity but man 370 raw boys

Tiggy GS seems still best for that 10 raw but Jewelled is ridiculous. lose 10 raw, but gain 2 slots, +60 defense and no negative affinty? Seems to be best hands down, imagine all the dope skills you can get with that 3 slotter

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    So a couple friends picked up 4U on sale and we're slowly poking at it. We ran into a Seltas today and we couldn't kill it fast enough. It kept running and roosting on a wall and regenning. The fight itself we had down pat, maybe it was just a dps thing?

Of course, we could have brought along a ranged weapon as well. We were running Charge Blade and Hunting Horn at the time.

Is the best solution to always have a ranged weapon in the party?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So a couple friends picked up 4U on sale and we're slowly poking at it. We ran into a Seltas today and we couldn't kill it fast enough. It kept running and roosting on a wall and regenning. The fight itself we had down pat, maybe it was just a dps thing?

Of course, we could have brought along a ranged weapon as well. We were running Charge Blade and Hunting Horn at the time.

Is the best solution to always have a ranged weapon in the party?
    If I recall correctly, some overhead swinging weapons can just barely tag it and knock it off the wall. Like, maybe a Greatsword charge attack, Longsword overhead strike, or an Insect Glaive vault (although you can just toss the Kinsect out to hit it, too).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Doesn't it usually sleep on climbable walls? You can just climb up them, get next to it, and hit it with your carving knife to knock it off.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    You should definitely be able to kill a Seltas before it goes to sleep to regen, but most of that will come from being able to put out steady DPS and hitting the drone often enough. You can also bring bounce bombs or a ranged weapon, buts it not mandatory

if you guys are doing some more hunting, you should hit me up. I'm always down for hunts with PA'ers

J3qcnBP.png
    edited March 2017
    e: nevermind

Dac on
    Yeah, with seltas you're probably just being too defensive against it, just keep smashing it. If you ever get it to the ground just go nuts and keep it flinch locked. If you can get it near a lip in an area, you can roll off of it with your weapon draw and leap off, if you hit it enough times with an aerial attack you'll mount it and then you'll have some time to mess it up.

Im reasonably sure if you smack it while it's on the wall it falls to the ground below it, you could setup some barrel bombs below it and set them off when it falls near them. Not sure if the vendor has them yet where you are at though.

• AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Doesn't it usually sleep on climbable walls? You can just climb up them, get next to it, and hit it with your carving knife to knock it off.

...fuck.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Seltas is a really good early fight overall. If I could pick any three monsters to be the first three big hunts it would probably be Great Jaggi>Seltas>Quropeco or something (Peco mainly for the fire weapon access. Once of the nice things about Tri and 3U was being able to make fire and water weapons early off Peco and Ludroth, which also meant they could be upgraded without getting late into HR/G).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I like quropeca much more than yian kutku. Also the oh shit moment when you find out why quro is a 6 or 7 star quest... jho and quro are best bros.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I like quropeca much more than yian kutku. Also the oh shit moment when you find out why quro is a 6 or 7 star quest... jho and quro are best bros.

Yeah, Quropeco bringing in the Jho was great.

And useful.

But basically everything Tri brought in to replace a monster from previous games is superior in every way as a fight. The biggest mistake of 4/X was going back (without reworking, as I've heard the Raths got a heavy dose of)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Eh the raths still just spin in circles and fly around shooting fireballs. I feel like brachy drops a TON more goop on the ground in gen than in 3u, which is just more tedious than anything. I loved the stuff in 3u, but the stuff like gravios felt like a step back in 4u. the flame and ice agnaktor were really cool, and i dont think there was anything like them afterwards.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Eh the raths still just spin in circles and fly around shooting fireballs. I feel like brachy drops a TON more goop on the ground in gen than in 3u, which is just more tedious than anything. I loved the stuff in 3u, but the stuff like gravios felt like a step back in 4u. the flame and ice agnaktor were really cool, and i dont think there was anything like them afterwards.

Yeah dumping the entire "leviathan" class entirely in 4U was a huge demerit, especially Agnaktor which wasn't tied to water (in either version) like Lagi and Lurdoth.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    They seem to really swing one way or the other on some monsters. Like I felt as though I fought brachy a bajillion times in 3U, and only really fought him a couple times in 4u and gen. Nerscylla was something I fought a bunch in 4U, but wasnt even included in gen (but it is in XX). Gravios stuff was huge in 4u, but I don't think they were in gen at all, but that isn't really a bad thing as I hate them.

Also, seeing all the XX videos and stuff popping up on the mh subreddit is really annoying since there hasnt even been an announcement that it is coming to the west. Brave style looks sick, and theyre bringing back some monsters I like such as barrioth and nerscylla. Thankfully there isn't a whole lot to spoil in monster hunter games as I just dont perceive it is something that can be spoiled, like everything is always kind of expected. I just wish I could read moon runes and had the cash to get a japanese 3ds and XX. Id also like for the online pc game to come out in the west but capcom hates the west.

i like the gravios fight. pew pew

aeNqQM9.jpg
    They seem to really swing one way or the other on some monsters. Like I felt as though I fought brachy a bajillion times in 3U, and only really fought him a couple times in 4u and gen. Nerscylla was something I fought a bunch in 4U, but wasnt even included in gen (but it is in XX). Gravios stuff was huge in 4u, but I don't think they were in gen at all, but that isn't really a bad thing as I hate them.

Also, seeing all the XX videos and stuff popping up on the mh subreddit is really annoying since there hasnt even been an announcement that it is coming to the west. Brave style looks sick, and theyre bringing back some monsters I like such as barrioth and nerscylla. Thankfully there isn't a whole lot to spoil in monster hunter games as I just dont perceive it is something that can be spoiled, like everything is always kind of expected. I just wish I could read moon runes and had the cash to get a japanese 3ds and XX. Id also like for the online pc game to come out in the west but capcom hates the west.

Tbh, you dont need to read a whole lot to play a imported mon hun. Stuff becomes second nature

also MHO can been played on any IP, although sign up is a real hassle

J3qcnBP.png
    No but you do need an imported 3ds which I dont have.

Also I just watched a youtube video about signing up and installing MHO... yeah I'm not dealing with basically stealing chinese SSN. Latency would probably suck anyway.

its actually not that bad! lag from canada is sporadic and it doesnt really affect much since each monster is local for each player

the sign up using phones is the most annoying but it was maybe like 30 minutes

J3qcnBP.png
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I just hit HR4 with the guild in MHG. Just upgraded my Rathalos armor with Adv. Spheres. Is there something better I should be working towards at this point? I have no idea what skills I should be going for. I don't even know what stuff stacks and what doesn't. For example, If I have Attack Up L then drink a Demondrug is that stacking? If I eat a mean for Defense up M and drink an Armorskin does that stack?

Really rathalos is fine for quite a while. Most things tend to stack, except some crit things. Id just keep doing what youre doing, there are quite a few armor sets you need to complete requests and specific hunts to unlock. So if you arent hitting a wall just keep slaying until you do, then look at armors again.

I started doing the arena quests to get the headpieces, and I am very bad at some weapons. Mostly because i usually only use like 3 weapons so have no idea how others work. Some of the setups seem completely terrible, like the hbg on malfestio. It gives you fire ammo and the best spot to hit on it is a 10...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Since I have a Japanese 3ds I am still really tempted to get MH XX or Mh stories on it even though I hope in vain they come to NA rather than continue to teach my brother how to read Japanese
    Yeah the badge arcade in japan is a lot of XX themed badges doesn't really help even though I got part way into Generations and ran into the problem of lack of time when RPGS were calling to me

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Would MHXX even really translate well on the switch? Not sure how they'd redesign the interface for all the bottom screen stuff. But I'd totally get that version, and hell, I'll be able to just get the JP version as soon as it was released too. The language barrier isn't too much of an issue considering I've been religiously buying the JP guides already anyway. The only thing that's stopped me was the stupid region locks.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dracil wrote: »
    Would MHXX even really translate well on the switch? Not sure how they'd redesign the interface for all the bottom screen stuff. But I'd totally get that version, and hell, I'll be able to just get the JP version as soon as it was released too. The language barrier isn't too much of an issue considering I've been religiously buying the JP guides already anyway. The only thing that's stopped me was the stupid region locks.

Mon Hun would just go back to its roots: UI around the edges of the screen and either no touch controls, or optional touch/pointer for chat. Four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, two clickable analog sticks, plus an actual distinct start/select as the standard on every single unit offers a lot more versatility than PSP and the various, unequal 3DS configurations could offer.

Seriously, the main reason we lost select and start doing 2 distinct things in MH was that the layout for those buttons made them nigh-unusable on original 3Ds models. Not so with later ones, but they didn't want multiple control schemes, so we had to choose between menu/kick instead of just having them both as we'd always had before.

The 3U WiiU Pro controller scheme can fully come back on Switch, both on the Joycons or Switch Pro pad, with ZL and ZR devoted to hunter arts instead of swimming.

It's exciting. Mon Hun will available on TV and on the go, on a single device, with a full set of buttons. No transferring saves, not even pausing, and no buying the game twice.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra