As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    You can't always throw in the full title of things or you get the messy colon explosion of stuff like World of Darkness: Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines: Remastered.

When I saw the phrase "messy colon explosion" I thought you were talking about a medical condition.
    Then I read the rest and realised you were. :snap:

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    ^ This guy with the sick burns.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/17/more-news-from-the-underworlds/

"Arena combat". Sounds smaller in scale than Mordheim.

I hope it's not on the scale of Gorechosen. :rotate:

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Tabletop MOBA?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    I'd love a tight set of arena rules using something like the Blood Bowl system. Its one of the tightest rule sets they've ever released and an arena game would be a perfect fit.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Just built a box of vanguard palladors.

These are some nice ass models. There's a lot more going on then a regular stormcast, a lot of fur cloaks and robs and ammo pouches and the like.

Can't wait to use them. Not sure why you would ever give them the hand axes though. It's the same number of attacks as the javelin but you lose out on one of those attacks being ranged.

Also can't wait for the inevitable argument about whether or not they can atheric winds out of combat.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Also can't wait for the inevitable argument about whether or not they can atheric winds out of combat.

"In combat" is not a thing in Age of Sigmar. You can always move, unless your move would end within 3" of an enemy model.

• ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    When rolling to save, do you roll for each wound, or once for all wounds that landed in a roll for multiple attacks?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You roll to save vs each attack that hits. You don't figure out wounds inflicted until after saves are rolled.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited March 2017
    Oops, that makes more sense. Thanks!

I still maintain that Retributors are crazy pants powerful. And fun to put together. Except for those back backpacks, I hate that they use a rounded nub to attach, a square would have been easier to line up.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I can never remember the Stormcast unit names, Retributors are the hammer guys?
    Yeah, they're pretty well regarded, try and stack some To Hit bonuses on them to make them really nasty.

edited March 2017
    Norgoth wrote: »

"In combat" is not a thing in Age of Sigmar. You can always move, unless your move would end within 3" of an enemy model.

What I meant was that you can be within 3", atheric winds and it dosn't count as a "retreat" so they can shoot afterwards.
    I can never remember the Stormcast unit names, Retributors are the hammer guys?
    Yeah, they're pretty well regarded, try and stack some To Hit bonuses on them to make them really nasty.

Yeah Retributors are the hammer guys. The trick with stacking to hit buffs is that in AoS it modifies the number rolled on the dice, not the number needed. So any 5's rolled now count as six's. This means every buff makes it easier to trigger thier auto two mortal wound ability.

For shits and giggles take two Lord Celestants, make one your general. Give him the new trait for the stormcast book that lets another heroe also use thier command ability for two hit buff bubbles walking around.

Norgoth on
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I think I've caught the AoS bug-- is there a good rundown on where to start? Is the starter box good enough to get going? Anything else I should look into picking up?

edited March 2017
    You can also start with the Storm of Sigmar set if you want to start small. It's about $30, and contains 5 Stormcast and 8 Khorne. It comes with dice, rules, and a few scenarios to play through to get used to the game, and they even provide the warcrolls as actual cards so you don't have to print them up. Those cards are a nice surprise due to the quality and ease of use - sadly the full starter set doesn't come with them, it just prints the warscrolls in the rulebook.

That set goes nicely with the full AoS starter set as you can add the figures to either army.

Other then that, you may want to pick up paints if you don't have any. Just be aware that the starter paint sets have had issues with dried paint and glue. I am unsure if it was a bad shipment, but the manager of my local GW gave me a heads-up to check it, and he ended it up exchanging the paints and glue. The paint brush and cutters are actually not bad, and the washes that come with the paint set shouldn't be dry and are always handy.

Edit: If you already have minis, you can download the rules for free, and use the free warscrolls released for older factions to be played in AoS: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102351+2631302768&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat

Some have worried about the lack of points in the basic rules, but the generals handbooks ($25) provides rules for setting up balanced games using points, narrative battles, etc. That isn't necessary with the starter sets as they are already balanced and come with scenarios designed to be fair.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    if the starter box factions arnt your bag you can just buy the "Start Collecting" box of your choice. Rules are available online for free, as are the unit statistics (battlescrolls in game parlance)

I'm really drawn to the ironjawz faction. There's something about a faction of just 'ardboyz that speaks to me

I hope they get a redesign somewhere down the line, those smooth, round armor surfaces look silly next to the rest of the Ironjawz range now.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    I'm really drawn to the ironjawz faction. There's something about a faction of just 'ardboyz that speaks to me

I reaaaaaaaaaaally like them, and am in love with the weirdboy model

They placed fourth in a recent tournament so that's something I guess?

EDIT: placed second!

This was the army selection, if you're curious. Picking up the Start Collecting! Box for Ironjawz gives you a start into most of these models

http://i.imgur.com/uSrJr4z.png

Arch on
    edited March 2017
    That's a pretty clear line from the start collecting box to that list!

What are mortal wounds, though? I get the impression that they're pretty important-- are they essentially the killing blow special rule?

Grape Ape on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Took me a minute to realise you meant mortal wounds;
    Basically you get a save vs regular wounds, and no save vs mortal wounds

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, mortal wounds win games, or, more accurately, it's good to have some sources of mortal wounds lying about to plink damage on heavily armoured or otherwise resilient stuff, whilst also endeavouring to keep your own armour away from enemy mortal wounds.

Ironjawz are pretty good, Brutes are excellent, the Maw-Krusha looks awesome and is nicely kill-y, if anything the standard Ard-Boyz are the lamest duck in the army, but they're perfectly handy at keeping objectives safe and bashing up weaker units.

Mortal wounds (very generally speaking) also tend to happen outside of the combat phase, or as an occasional bonus in the combat phase.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    You roll for Initiative every turn, so your opponent may have gone second last turn, but wins initiative this turn and goes first.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Follow up: what is 'getting double turned'?

In AoS, you roll to see who goes first every round, so a player can potentially take two turns in a row.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Which is why I'm glad I play Death. Because it doesn't really matter to me since I just get dudes back anyway.

There was a good look at the double turn on the warhammer community page a bit ago, might be a little too in-depth if you're just starting out, but it covers pretty much every aspect of that particular element in detail:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/27/tactical-toolbox-double-turns/

So, in what I consider rather Big News, GW has announced they are partnering with Scrollbuilder to host a free army building app on their website.
    So we felt that the right thing to do would be to support Tony and help bring Warscroll Builder to even more hobbyists. So very soon, the official Warhammer Age of Sigmar Warscroll Builder will come to live here on the Community site. We’re going to make sure that this great tool stays free, is regularly updated, and work with Tony to continue to develop the functionality.

ScrollBuilder is super rad, and almost everyone already uses it, so it's really exciting for this to take form. I actually helped Tony early on by sending him a spreadsheet I made of all the Skaven point values, battle line status, and clan breakdowns so I'm really excited to see this become official.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I'm still not used to this new Games Workshop with all their community engagement and funny videos.

There was a good look at the double turn on the warhammer community page a bit ago, might be a little too in-depth if you're just starting out, but it covers pretty much every aspect of that particular element in detail:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/27/tactical-toolbox-double-turns/

That is a great little article! I really like seeing the ramifications of some of this stuff in order to get the context of why people talking about the game think these rules/scenarios are big deals

I've just got my copy of the new white dwarf after starting a subscription.

Wow these things are quite hefty now!

The Kharadron Overlords look really interesting.

As someone who has been reading White Dwarf since 1991 the current iteration is hands-down the best it's ever been.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I just subscribed this month as well, after waggling on the fence the last few issues. Now seems like the time to jump onboard.

website_header.jpg
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Sharpy

Please give me all the info you can on the Overlords, I'm dying of thirst

Arch wrote: »

Sharpy

Please give me all the info you can on the Overlords, I'm dying of thirst

@Arch

In the battle report one of the skyvessels takes an upgrade that allows its minigun to fire when an enemy ends a charge within half an inch of the model.

So the overlord player got to take 50 shots in one turn due to the amount units charging the vessel. It also took the enemy using his whole army to bring the biggest sky vessel down.

Fffffffffffffffffff that's awesommmmmeeeeeeeeeee

edited March 2017

Ha yeah, still lost to the flesh eater court enemy though!

The biggest sky vessel is called an Ironclad - some the weapons they can carry include:

Supremacy mines
    Skycannons
    Aethermatic volley cannon
    Skyhooks
    Aethermatic carbines.

It's crazy, as far as i can tell you can also get engineers that can repair the skyvessels.

SharpyVII on

Ha yeah, still lost to the flesh eater court enemy though!

-_-

edited March 2017
    Far as i can tell the overlords are pretty rubbish in melee but have massive firepower and are surprisingly nimble.

You can practically put your whole army in the sky vessels and then plonk them down where you're needed.

As you can split targets in AoS the massive skyvessels are especially useful as you can carry anti infantry,monster and character weapons all at once.

Basically they seem as close to being a 40K army as possible.

I'm no good a painting animal fur or human skin so the metallic armour of the overlords looks good to me.

SharpyVII on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    So I'm the kind of guy who is still salty about AoS lore wise but I have to ask, did they transfer the Fimir over at all? I've been reading up on them and I have to say I love the the Fimir and am super disappointed they fell by the wayside in Warhammer Fantasy

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.