As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Phalla Signup List

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    Expectations! While it might damp down the "oh shit" factor, telling people that things may get crazy at some point at least tells people that, yeah, you might be signing up for a glorious train wreck. In that case, most people will say "Well, shit, I'm getting the fuck on anyway."

Yeah, that is a lesson better not learned through experience so all new hosts should commit the above post to memory

Just pull it enough that that kind of thing is already assumed

aka Burnagephalla.

OrokosPA.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    The 4 year old should be able to help you pick the princess role distribution/mechanics though.

Reminds me of the director of House letting his kid come up with the scares, because 'children have better imaginations'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The 4 year old should be able to help you pick the princess role distribution/mechanics though.

Reminds me of the director of House letting his kid come up with the scares, because 'children have better imaginations'.

That explains some things.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Sign-ups are still open for my mini-phalla, RPS Phalla. As of this writing, there are six spots remaining, so please sign up!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Quick question: I'm looking at an option to replace some pretty complex status PMs. Instead of sending a PM, I'd like for the user to have a link they can visit to view a spreadsheet with all their inventory, HP, etc. presented in a readable format.

The problem is that there's a pretty easy exploit where an unscrupulous player could view other player's spreadsheets if they really wanted to.

How does the Phalla community feel about the honor system in cases like this? In my mind, it shouldn't be a problem because we use it all the time (we trust that people aren't secretly sharing screenshots of role PMs, etc.) but I wanted to get a second opinion.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Talk with @38thDoe or @Infidel or @MrBlarney as they have used outside links as character sheets in Phalla before.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @WACriminal I'd be okay with it. Also; @Assuran so that's a thing that gets done from time to time? That seems pretty involved, but sounds really cool. I'm looking forward to playing in a game like that.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Quick question: I'm looking at an option to replace some pretty complex status PMs. Instead of sending a PM, I'd like for the user to have a link they can visit to view a spreadsheet with all their inventory, HP, etc. presented in a readable format.

The problem is that there's a pretty easy exploit where an unscrupulous player could view other player's spreadsheets if they really wanted to.

How does the Phalla community feel about the honor system in cases like this? In my mind, it shouldn't be a problem because we use it all the time (we trust that people aren't secretly sharing screenshots of role PMs, etc.) but I wanted to get a second opinion.

As long as you make it reasonably not easy to get someone else's spreadsheet, that works well

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    WACriminal I'd be okay with it. Also; Assuran so that's a thing that gets done from time to time? That seems pretty involved, but sounds really cool. I'm looking forward to playing in a game like that.

Basically, for the more complicated games (specifically games where every player has powers and choice of actions each night) it helps cut down on the amount of work the host needs to do each night.

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    WACriminal I'd be okay with it. Also; Assuran so that's a thing that gets done from time to time? That seems pretty involved, but sounds really cool. I'm looking forward to playing in a game like that.

Basically, for the more complicated games (specifically games where every player has powers and choice of actions each night) it helps cut down on the amount of work the host needs to do each night.

Yeah, the goal is for me not to send out any nightly PMs at all once the game starts. You get a link to your status sheet on Day 0, and all your notifications/stat updates are on that same sheet, at that same link, for the rest of the game. Frees up more time for 1) promptly getting results posted in-thread, 2) promptly answering clarifications, and 3) sleep.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's how it starts.

Phalla of the Red Dragon was manually updated information, it was just a unique page for everyone to view for updates.

Then Blarney and I started making games where we actually performed all actions through the page...

Made a full webgame for P.H.A./L.L.A :rotate:

If you got questions just hit me up. The main thing you can do is just make sure you have a unique and unguessable URL for everyone to view only their own information. You distribute those at the start of the game. People have not tried to cheat around that in any of our games, not that it would be easy because you'd have to get their original PM so...

OrokosPA.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is anyone hosting after Mr. Blarney?
    @discrider
    @WACriminal
    @Matev
    @Egos

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I could host in April...

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Well I've certainly hosted more recently then you, so if no one signed up is going, by all means.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have a thing in mind, but no real hurry.

wVEsyIc.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    38thDoe wrote: »
    @discrider
    @WACriminal
    @Matev
    @Egos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6qp1DfDg7c
    soon ™

Egos on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Egos wrote: »
    @discrider
    @WACriminal
    @Matev
    @Egos

soon ™

It's always sunny in Phalladelphia?

Edit: man, that actually means 'phallic love', doesn't it?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    @discrider
    @WACriminal
    @Matev
    @Egos

soon ™

It means "brotherly cock".

Which is possibly worse!

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    God dammit guys.
    If you want to keep quote-pinging me accidentally so much I guess I can scrawl a phalla on the back of a napkin and put it up.

God dammit guys.
    If you want to keep quote-pinging me accidentally so much I guess I can scrawl a phalla on the back of a napkin and put it up.

Shit, sorry. I keep forgetting that quoted text still pings people.
    Burnage wrote: »
    discrider
    WACriminal
    Matev
    Egos

soon ™

It means "brotherly cock".

Which is possibly worse!

Huh, I thought the "phila" was brother and "delphia" was love, but you're right. I guess I was thinking of Latin "filius" and "filia" for son and daughter?

afa4l6ft6cpu.jpg

camo_sig2-400.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Well, ping me enough times and an idea gets planted in my head.

459942.jpg?b64lines=LSBBUlIuIENBTiBZT1UKIEdJVkUgTUUgRklWRSBNSU5VVEVTPw==

I'll likely want someone to help reign in my excess, PM me if you want to help.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    I think I can have sign-ups posted Saturday night, if you guys are interested in playing OK Phalla: An Online Dating Game.

If you build it they will come.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Building out the final spreadsheet now. <3

By the time you're done running that WA, I'll be ready to run So It's Finally Come To This: A Simpsons [Phalla]

Hail Hydra
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Oh, right - RPS Phalla ended last night, so the path is clear for the next game. Hooray!

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    By the time you're done running that WA, I'll be ready to run So It's Finally Come To This: A Simpsons [Phalla]

https://youtu.be/YKUOB8MN4Kc

Matev wrote: »

Kill Squire Trelawney and Mr. Bimbo, and you'll have to... negotiate strenuously. (When those two games expire you'll wish that I was running a muppet game. I know I do.)

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Managed to write my OP during some downtime at work tonight, so...

Sign-ups for OK[Phalla] are open!

Still need 7-8 more players to make this game work, I think.

edited April 2017
    OK[Phalla] has ended in a Lonely Heart victory!

I believe @Matev had next?

Also, go ahead and sign me up to run another game. I should have something ready pretty soon, either another OKPhalla or a new theme.

EDIT AGAIN: If anybody wants to run a game, especially one with non-standard mechanics, and wants some help building a spreadsheet to make things easier to manage, hit me up. When I hit my manic periods, Rube Goldberg spreadsheeting is a thing I've found brings a lot of relief for my brain.

WACriminal on
    Sorry, been a wild couple weeks so I'm not remotely ready, someone else can jump in if they're ready.

Hail Hydra
    @discrider
    @Egos
    @Burnage
    @cj iwakura

Am I missing anybody?

I haven't even figured out my map yet..

Don't really have the free time at the moment, but I can at least start formulating ideas.

wVEsyIc.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'm working on an Always Sunny One. I have most of the ideas down but need to double check some stuff.

(so probably a week or two from now I can run it, maybe sooner if I get time)

A new thought on Phallatars that I want to bounce off of people:

Suppose I were to periodically run Super Smash Phalla, a battle-genre game. Before the game, each player picks 5 Phallatars from their collection to apply as "stickers", changing their stats and move set. Some stickers give you more starting HP, some make you faster, some give you special moves that you can use in exchange for mana/MP/charge/whatever I end up calling it.

Does that sound fun, or dumb? Or both?

What would the poop emoji give you?

Jokes aside, sounds fun, but the stats would have to be somewhat balanced at least with regards to rarity.
    Like we don't want VW screwed over because she only got Common Phallatars or something.

It's also worth sparing a thought for players who come into the game with no Phallatars, and who then get 5 random ones assigned to them.
    Are they disadvantaged because everyone knows what they will use?
    Are they disadvantaged because players with larger pools have access to better abilities?

If the Phallatars are all roughly equivalent, but the rarer ones are more 'flashy', I think you could pull it off.

I'm thinking some combination of, "commons become more powerful in quantity" and "a slight amount of power inequality is OK, not really any worse than vanilla games".

But yeah, I've been trying to work out a solution for the players coming in with no Phallatars. Easiest solution is to give each player who signs up 2 boosters.

Yeah, slight power inequality is okay.
    But just make it so the commons don't have a choice between '+1 HP, +3 HP, +1 Speed, +2 Speed, +1 HP' while the guy with multiple rares is packing a vig power and a seer power at the same time.
    Give everyone interesting things to do with the stickers they have, or give everyone passives and then have interesting things to do without any stickers IMO.