As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'd found some great female heads of the right scale for 40k the other day and now I can't find them again. Anyone happen to have a recommendation?

What is this I don't even.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    EVO Repeater Kameel finished. Here he is sitting next to his TR buddy.

865242_sm-.JPG

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

That's it, yep. Thanks.

What is this I don't even.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I kinda wish they had included one female ogryn body in the ogryn box.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »

Those heads with berets 100% need to be on my Tempestus Scion models.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    If you look through their gallery you'll probably find some examples of just that. I know their thread in the Dakka Dakka news section does and they look pretty good.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    vhJmfaf.jpg

Brown.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Friend of mine bought a laser cutter and I'm totally not envious.

qixtOLg.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I preordered a Glowforge, and it's been killing me that its launch has been pushed back twice. I've got a good feeling about the July '17 delivery date though, given the progress they've been posting about.

I'mma make soooo much terrain.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I preordered a Glowforge, and it's been killing me that its launch has been pushed back twice. I've got a good feeling about the July '17 delivery date though, given the progress they've been posting about.

I'mma make soooo much terrain.

Keep us in the loop, I'm definitely interested to hear about it. I was really close to grabbing one.

I have really been liking my cheap 3d printer, its been a savior for printing correct bases for AoS. Most places want like $8-13 for large oval bases and I needed 3, and was able to print them for like 30 cents each. I've done some smaller pieces of terrain but not really finding stuff besides dungeon tiles (which are awesome).

steam_sig.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I used to work at a graphics shop with a laser cutter. I miss it dearly.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    While I love the idea of a laser cutter, I don't have the knowledge or skill to actually make things to print off with it. And while it'd be fun to learn, I'd rather paint minis with that time.

Totally envious of people who can and do use them though. My brother has a 3D printer he made himself as a project with his kids and they're always showing me neat stuff they've printed. Right now they're working on Infinity and Malifaux token sets.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    I just sold two of my models for £245. They would ordinarily cost around £160 on FW.

Not a huge profit, but it all goes towards the Christmas fund for the kids and has me giving more thought to the odd commission piece.

It helps that one of the sold models was obtained for free, giving me a £120 profit.

But yes. Painting for money.

Hmmmm.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Those are rookie numbers! You gotta pump those numbers up!
    (seriously though, your stuff is worth waaay more).

I don't exactly disagree with you. I always second-guess the quality of my work though so find it difficult to put a price tag on it.

If I decide to paint stuff specifically to sell, I'll work out a better pricing system but for the moment I'm like "eh, I'd have painted it anyway. Now I get money to boot".

3EnCIQg.jpg
    My paintbrush is tingling.

https://youtu.be/Z7CUmdskOtI

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Heroine Quest Dwarf!
    The "Shadow Grey" parts looks very blue...
    IMG_20170323_164200_zps3joxgbqs.jpg

Edit: I've just realised I never posted an in-focus photo of the wizard in this thread. This is from the end of last year:
    CwKjForUEAA9abU.jpg

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
    Shadow Grey is a pretty blue grey.

Those look great though.

Back to the WIP: Ahriman.0ultnq120e4n.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
    What colour is the helmet!? It's really nice

J wrote: »
    What colour is the helmet!? It's really nice

I started with Warplock bronze, washed it with agrax earthshade and began highlighting with brass scorpion.

However, some citadel metallic layer paints are atrociously thin, so I added vallejo metal medium to the brass scorpion to brighten it, and used it as an edge highlight.

I then went back in with glazes of AP dark tone to outline the helm details and boost the contrast.

Got a bit more done on the main body this afternoon:

1dchmtdo9y75.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
    Think I'll pick those up. Thanks!

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Anyone ever glued lego together?
    Can i use plastic glue?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I don't think Lego uses the right polystyrene plastic for plastic glue, prolly would have to use super glue.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Can i use plastic glue?

How permanent do you want the bond to be? PVA glue does a good job of holding LEGO blocks together. You can go up to superglue or, if you want something super strong, anything that can weld ABS plastic together.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to call "Lego Movie" on this one. Just get right in there with that Kragle~ ;P

Looking for permanent

Can i use plastic glue?

HERESY MOST FOUL!
    How dare thee defile the sacred brick with thy putrescent unguents and vile philtres?!

Remain where you are, citizen; an arbitrator patrol is being diverted to your position to issue corrective discipline, with extreme prejudice. Remember, inconveniencing the arbitrators is a crime.

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    Hey, Kneel, those gems are stellar. Keep cranking that stuff out.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Can i use plastic glue?

HERESY MOST FOUL!
    How dare thee defile the sacred brick with thy putrescent unguents and vile philtres?!

Remain where you are, citizen; an arbitrator patrol is being diverted to your position to issue corrective discipline, with extreme prejudice. Remember, inconveniencing the arbitrators is a crime.

It's for a wedding project, making a lego ring pillow. The same project, I had to drill holes into lego baseplates so my wife can sew them to the pillow. Drilling holes in lego felt wrong.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Finished up a Dracula marine, which doubles the amount of stuff I've painted this year from 1 to 2!
    866387_sm-.JPG

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    C73JtQuVYAApBkI.jpg
    Need to fancy up the banner before i call these guys done i think

Man, between the Incubi and the double-axe-dude there, GW sure likes its bat'leths, doesn't it? This is a new thing, no?

the ironjawz have got something similar too i think

Quick scheme suggestions for yu Jing?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    J wrote: »
    Quick scheme suggestions for yu Jing?

White and teal?

White and orange?

I dunno, I've just been on a kick with white as base lately. :rotate:

White could work with the ol oil wash technique.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I think im going to get a local guy to paint some of my IG. I feel dirty doing it, but I am not painting. Between ADD, arthritis and having to keep my depressed mother company, I don't see that changing any time soon.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think im going to get a local guy to paint some of my IG. I feel dirty doing it, but I am not painting. Between ADD, arthritis and having to keep my depressed mother company, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Can your mom hold a brush? Now is the perfect time to introduce her to the grim darkness of the far future. Maybe ease her into the hobby with some Space Hulk or Lost Patrol. Then, Battle for Vedros. Once she's got the basics down you'll be ready to get her started on 8th Edition.

In all seriousness, don't feel dirty. Some people just aren't into painting, or they don't have time. I'd rather see contract work on the other side of the table than yet another gray plastic army any day.

This discussion has been closed.