As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Compatability w/Vista

WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I just grabbed a new computer with Vista and I was wondering about games that were designed for Windows 95 or 98 ... would I experience any problems? If so, is it just slowdown or is going to make the game unplayable?

WilDPanthA05 on

• Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So far I've played games like GTA: Vice City, Grim Fandango and Final Fantasy VII, as well as even older stuff via DOSbox, with no problems. In my experience, Vista compatability isn't really much different from XP. It's kind of counterintuitive, but you might have more issues with newer games designed for XP than with older games designed for 98 and earlier. The reason for this is that Vista retains more or less the same "Compatability Mode" feature that XP had: As long as you run a game with the proper compatability mode settings, you'll have a pretty good chance of getting it working.

Take note of that, though. If you don't know what Compatability Mode is or how it works, then your games aren't going to work and you're going to get pissed off and call me a liar. Seriously, Compatability Mode is your friend. It solves a large deal of the problems people experience when they just install onto Vista and try to play right out of the box. Just like older games on XP, it usually takes some tweaking, but compatability is actually pretty darn good.

whuppins on