As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vacation -Where?

taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So i've come to the conclusion i need to get the hell out of canada for a brief period before i go crazy :P the current plan is to grab a couple friends and take off somewhere, preferably outside of north america for about 7 days sometime in march or april. The problem being no one has any idea where. I'm not a big sunshine/beach type person but I will go anywhere the liquor is cheap ;-). So I ask you PA, wheres a good place for a few guys in their early-mid twenties to take off to and have fun for a week?

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
taliosfalcon on

• Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I know you said somewhere out of North America, but there aren't too many places I can think of that wouldn't be piss-miserable in March. In the northern hemisphere, it's spring, which means rain everywhere except the desert, and the southern hemisphere is a pretty damned expensive vacation for a bunch of spur-of-the-moment 20somethings.

So, looking closer to home... Reno, maybe? Gambling, cheap gin, loose women, and plenty of other stuff to do if you get bored of the nightlife: there's Lake Tahoe nearby, which I hear is kind of pretty, or you could rent a car (assuming at least one of you is over 25) and spend a day or two in San Francisco.

Rygar made a nice visitor's guide of an OP over in D&D a while back, offering to hook people up with cheap rooms and overcomps at the resort he works at, so try sending him a PM if you're interested.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cuba!

I'd just really like to go, and can't, since it's illegal if you're American. It's not fair. :cry:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's snowing in Reno/Tahoe. So don't go there. Besides, Reno is just Vegas Lite.

There you go...Vegas. Scottsdale/Tempe in the Phoenix area. Denver is fun, but cold. Chicago (also cold).

Outside of the continent...Australia? It's summer there right now.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nitsuj82 wrote: »
    It's snowing in Reno/Tahoe. So don't go there. Besides, Reno is just Vegas Lite.

There you go...Vegas. Scottsdale/Tempe in the Phoenix area. Denver is fun, but cold. Chicago (also cold).

Outside of the continent...Australia? It's summer there right now.

We're from Canada, if its above -20 C and theres less than a foot of snow on the ground its practically t-shirt and shorts weather ;-)

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Beautiful in March.

meeker on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So i've come to the conclusion i need to get the hell out of canada for a brief period before i go crazy :P the current plan is to grab a couple friends and take off somewhere, preferably outside of north america for about 7 days sometime in march or april. The problem being no one has any idea where. I'm not a big sunshine/beach type person but I will go anywhere the liquor is cheap ;-). So I ask you PA, wheres a good place for a few guys in their early-mid twenties to take off to and have fun for a week?

Come here. :P

Or any decently sized city in the UK, for that matter. I don't know what your budget's like, or the relative strength of the Canadian dollar and the Pound, but I will say that London is freakishly expensive even by UK standards.

No beaches, and almost certainly no sun, but you will find decent nightlife.

japan on
  • Options
    SoggychickenSoggychicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you can avoid the spring break season, you can find some really great deals for places in the Caribbean. I was told about all inclusive (yes, even booze) resorts in Mexico and Cuba for $300-400 during off season. Of course, your mileage may vary but if the Looney stay strong you should be able to find some great deals.

Oh, and keep an eye on TravelZoo. They usually have great deals on discount airfares and such.

edit: Oops, just saw that you're not a big fan of beaches. I guess you can consider going on a cruise. You don't have to participate in any outdoor activities or watersports if you don't want to, but you'll basically be eating for seven days straight.

Soggychicken on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hmm ,well after reading through the thread and doing a bit more research my two top contenders so far seem to be Reykjavik and Havana, with somewhere in the a maybe (yes i know, complete opposites :P) Just to clarify on my first post a little bit, beaches and oceans are fine, just not looking for somewhere where thats literally *all* there is to do. Cuba seems to have some interesting looking bars/clubs/markets/whatever in addition to its beaches, whereas i've heard in most places in mexico your generally stuck in your inclusive resort on the beach, with nowhere else to go, did i hear wrong?

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm ,well after reading through the thread and doing a bit more research my two top contenders so far seem to be Reykjavik and Havana, with somewhere in the a maybe (yes i know, complete opposites :P) Just to clarify on my first post a little bit, beaches and oceans are fine, just not looking for somewhere where thats literally *all* there is to do. Cuba seems to have some interesting looking bars/clubs/markets/whatever in addition to its beaches, whereas i've heard in most places in mexico your generally stuck in your inclusive resort on the beach, with nowhere else to go, did i hear wrong?

Reykjavik is expensive. Some of my corp mates from Eve are from there, and the majority of them went there for fan fest... Booze is not cheap there.

Cuba is awesome, been there and stayed at an all inclusive. It's dirt cheap and you get amazing service. The country is safe, you are not confined to the compound or anything like that. Havana is a great city to visit, lots of history if you are into that thing like I am, just like any large city though, there are things you have to be careful of like pickpockets in markets and obviously you are not going to wander around at night. Hell, there are places in Edmonton I wouldn't wander around in at night either :P

Also, get a last minute deal. They are insanely cheap. People we talked to while in Cuba that flew from Toronto and booked their trip one week prior to leaving got the whole one week all inclusive package for $500.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    KMFurDMKMFurDM Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    If it was me looking for a vacation right now I'd probably have to say the UK, or southern Germany.

KMFurDM on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Canadian?

Early to Mid Twenties?

The answer is always Cancun

it's cheap

it's warm

it's not completely dirty

there's women and booze ERRRRRRRVRYWHERE

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.